Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Secret Craft of Bureaucrats
aka Masters of Nobility, Bureauologists, Geomancers
They are known as an Bureaurologist in the great forests of the world. They started out (and can still be found) as the Masters of Nobility. This is an expansion of the Secret Crafts inspired by Gazetteer 3.
A group of crafters of secret known how to tap into the laws of governance and civilisation and the lands they control. These are abilities granted by the grace of the patrons of civilisation.
Source Material: This secret craft was built using. Deep Magic 5 – Ley Lines, Encyclopaedia Arcana – Sovereign Magic, Ultimate Prestige Classes Vol 1 (Knight, Nomad Lord, Officer of War)
List of Practitioners of the Bureauologist Secret Craft
- Initiate – Yodrey – Rogue/Sorcerer (Fri)
- 1st Circle –
- 3rd Circle –
- 5th Circle –
Craft Magical Items – Bureauologist
Ranks of the Bureauologist Secret Craft
- Initiate (from 1st level)
- 1st Circle (from 6th level)
- 2nd Circle (from 11th level)
- 3rd Circle (from 16th level)
- 4th Circle (from 21st level)
- 5th Circle (from 26th level)
To become an initiate, one must be part of a Bureaucracies of the Known World.
- Craft Bonus = Proficiency + Cha + circle +2 (Gnome, Hattian, Kerendian, Nuari, Thyatian)
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Cha mod + circle achieved +2 (Gnome, Hattian, Kerendian, Nuari, Thyatian).
- Bonus Language – Common (Thyatian) or Gnomish
- Associated Sphere – Usually a Thyatian Empire Pantheon Immortal, but any Immortal who is a Patron of civilisation is also valid.
- Expanded Magic: Characters gain extra spells to their spell list from this secret craft. A prepared caster gains them as spells in their spellbook, a spontaneous caster can swap out the spells with their known spells during craft downtime.
- Artefacts of Civilisation (any) You can make a craft check to use a artefact of civilisation without expending the items power by paying for it with your own life force instead. This avoids the chance of a penalty being activated. You can also steal power from an artefact to heal your soul burn. If you are attuned to the artefact, you can use its power to activate your secret craft features without a chance of a penalty being activated. Thyatian attuned racial magical items allow you to pinch their charges for the day using 1 charge to replace 1 soul burn, and for each level or rarity above common the magical item can replace an additional point.
Bureauologist Additional Crit Effects
- Bureauologist Additional Craft Mishap: In addition to the base critical failure effect, you radiate a wave Psychic energy which causes the irreducible damage (from the standard mishap) as a punishment from your mentor, this hit point damage also affects everyone in your manifestation. You are unable to use anything with language until you have a long rest.
- Bureauologist Additional Craft Boon: In addition to the base critical success effect you are able to put out a wave of life energy and feel invigorated by the effect (from the standard boon), this hit point healing also affects everyone in your manifestation. Your grasp of the languages tongue is beyond your normal understanding, until you have a long rest you have Advantage on any rolls using language.
Associated Options – This is the Association between secret crafts, patrons, Immortals and classes and other class options.
- Patrons of
- Time – Civilisation – Ambition (2)
- Energy Immortals – Iliric (Ambition)
- Entropy Immortals – Pharamond (Ambition)
- Primary Pantheon/Immortals – Alphatian Empire (Iliric, Pharamond), Thyatian Empire (Iliric, Pharamond),
- Secondary Pantheon/Immortals – Dragonkin (Iliric), Ocean Guilds (Pharamond), Ylari (Pharamond),
- Councils – Assembly (Iliric, Pharamond), Energy (Iliric), Entropy (Pharamond), Hierarch (Pharamond), Temporal (Iliric),
- Cleric – Ambition (Ambition),
- Paladin – Oath of the Crown (scag132)
1st Level Spells – Ceremony – R (xge151), Comprehend Languages – R (ph225), Copy – R (bls34), Forked Tongue (bls61), Illusory Script – RO (ph253), Speak with Animals – R (ph278), Wind Speak – R (bls128)
2nd Level Spells – Animal Messenger – R (ph213), Augury – RO (ph216), Bolster Mental Fortitude (bls24), Detect Illusion (bls43), Magic Mouth – R (ph258), Menace (bls86), Skywrite – R (xge165), Zone of Truth – R (ph290),
4th Level Spells – Comrades in Arms (bls33), Divination – R (ph235), Mark of Ownership (bls86)
5th Level Spells – Arcane Retribution (bls14), Divine Sovereignty (bls47), Dream – RO (ph237), Skill Empowerment (xge165)
- 6th Level – Arcane Obstruction (bls14), Instant Fluency (bls76)
- 7th Level – Ice Soldiers (mwb429), Mark of Exile (bls85), Revelation Field (bls99)
- 8th Level –
- 9th Level – Arcane Censure (bls14)
Bureauologist 1st Circle (Apprentice)
Secret Crafts – Manifestations (Replaces other active secret craft manifestation when activated) Each Manifestation uses a light colour based on the Sphere it is being drawn from Energy (red), Entropy (black), Matter (green), Thought (white), Time (Blue). Each manifestation lasts until the end of your next long rest, and you can spend 1 soul burn to keep it active until the next long rest without rolling or you dismiss it.
Bureauologist Apprentice (Manifestation SB 1 DC 16): When you activate this manifestation, you have a pleasing halo and project a pleasing attitude with a light out 10ft. When making a Charm, Diplomacy or Persuasion roll, you have advantage against those within your aura. Guardsmen and soldiers will not attack you in this aura unless you or one of your allies attack them first.
Bureauologist Apprentice Enhancements and Powers (Requires Bureauologist Apprentice to be active)
- Bureaucrat Specialisation (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activate as part of a short rest. You can prepare one spell from the craft list as a known spell. You can reactivate this power to replace the known spell. Non-spellcasters can use this to gain a cantrip if listed.
- Civilisations Friend (Power SB 1 DC 16): Activated as a bonus action. You can cast Calm Emotions. Your able to spend extra power points to increase the level of the spell.
- Command (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activated during a short rest. Your initiative can be used by allies of your choosing.
- Natures Fear (Power SB 1 DC 16): As an action you can you can change your light radius to include it also causing fear in its radius while you concentrate up to ten minutes.
Downtime Activities: can require 1 or more soul burn points to activate and maintain. You do not require you to have the manifestation active to use. Use of downtime abilities cannot be offset by magical items or artefacts.
- Legality (SB 1) Your legal and able to practice your arts, bare arms or travel even if this is not normally the case, for one nation of your choosing. This can also be used to avoid jail, reduce the charges or find a compromise when you have time permitting. Each use solves one issue for your character.
- Craft Specialisation (SB 1+): You gain a known or prepared spell from the list of spells in this craft for each level you can cast. If you know more than one craft you can only have this available for one. Repeat activations changes the these slots to the activating craft. Costs 1 point per level of the spell. This loss is permanent while you have access to these spells. Unlike regular spells, Cantrips cost 1 point per character level.
- Hire Retainers (SB 1) You can hire a retainer (Squire, Groom or Man-at-arms) to look after your affairs and aid your needs. You can have one per circle obtained and are responsible for their welfare and training.
- Bureaucrat Familiar (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a familiar to deal with people. This gives the familiar advantage on Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion checks. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the familiar class feature or follow the Dwarven and Gnome or Thyatian Empire pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the familiar.
- Bureaucrat Companion (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a companion to deal with people. This gives the companion advantage on Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion checks. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the companion class feature or follow the Dwarven and Gnome or Thyatian Empire pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the companion.
- Bureaucrat Mount (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a mount to deal with people. This gives the mount advantage on Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion checks. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the mount class feature or follow the Dwarven and Gnome or Thyatian Empire pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the mount.
- Bureaucrat Scroll (SB 1+) You can spend a week scribing any spell from this secret crafts list onto a scroll, with the craft DC equal to 10 + spell level. Success causes SB equal to the spell level, which remains until the scroll is used. Unlike other scrolls, this scroll requires no check to activate and always succeeds at being cast. The soul burn spent on the scroll returns once the scroll is used.
Bureauologist 2nd Circle (Journeyman)
Bureauologist 3rd Circle (Adept)
Bureauologist 4th Circle (Master)
Bureauologist 5th Circle (Grand Master)
Secret Craft References
- Activation Costs: 1 SB point per circle for Manifestation, Enhancement, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Secret Craft Attempt = d20 + Prof + Abi mod + circle achieved.
- Craft Check: The craft check is a d20 plus your proficiency and the associated attribute modifier. This craft check must use the language associated with the craft as part of the check. You add your circle level to the roll with Initiates being +0. For every 5 points you exceed the target number you reduce the Soul Burn cost by 1. For every point you fail the roll by, you can choose to succeed by adding those point to the soul burn cost as long as it was not a critical failure.
- Base Critical Failure: A roll of a 1 on the craft check is a curse from your patron, and you suffer a mishap. The standard thing that happens is that you increase your soul burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it reduces your hit point maximum by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it causes hit point damage equal to the Crit Effect Modifier. Check each of the crafts for what additional effect happen during a mishap.
- Base Critical Success: A roll of a 20 on this check is a blessing from your patron, and you are granted a boon. The standard thing is that you reduce your Soul Burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it can restore damage to your maximum hit points by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it refreshes you repairing hit points equal to the Crit Effect Modifier . Check each of the crafts for what happens during a boon.
- Crit Effect Modifier: This is 1 + circle ability level + character level.
So a 8th level character using a 2nd circle ability would have a crit effect modifier of 11. A 4th level character with a 1st circle ability would have a modifier of 6. A 12th level character with s 3rd circle ability would have a modifier of 16. A 16th level character with a 4th circle ability would have a modifier of 21. A 20th level character with a 5th circle ability would have a modifier of 25.
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Ability mod + circle achieved.
- Manifestation – Lasts until the end of a long rest, you expend it, or you dismiss it as a free action. You can extend a craft manifestation for 1 soul burn after a long rest to last until your next long rest without the need for a craft check. Manifestations gives you access to Manifestation Aspects, Enhancements and Powers.
- Manifestation Aspect – Selected as the version of the manifestation used when you activate the Manifestation.
- Enhancement – Lasts as long as the manifestation is active.
- Power – Has a limited duration, but needs the manifestation active to use.
- SB – Soul Burn. Each point of Soul Burn is a reduction to your maximum hit points. If your Soul Burn ever reduces your hit point total to zero your character is destroyed based in the craft and sponsor. Soul Burn can be recovered via downtime or other methods all with GM approval.
- 2022-03-13 – Updated the Initiate level abilities and wording. Update of the 1st Circle abilities and powers to bring them more in line with the changes made to the initiate level and through trial in play over the last year
Racial Crafts: (38) Alchem, Beast, Bureau, Celest, Chaos, Chrono, Craft, Crypt, Diplomat, Diviner, Dragon, Elven, Entertain, Fiend, Heal, Mech, Mental, Merch, Music, Nature, Portal, Preserve, Protect, Rad, Sail, Shape, Skald, Sky, Spirit, Spy, Star, Sumon, Tech, Void, Wagon, War, Weapon, Witch
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.