Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Secret Craft of the Celestials
aka Masters of the Heavens, Celestologist, Heralds or Celestials
They are known as an Celestologist in the great temples of the world. They started out (and can still be found) as the Masters of of the Heavens. This is an expansion of the Secret Crafts inspired by Gazetteer 3.
A group of crafters of secret known how to tap into the celestial realms. These are abilities granted by the grace of the patrons of celestial beings.
Source Material: This secret craft was built from material gained from various editions of the game. Principalities of Glantri (gaz3), Deep Magic 6 – Angels and Wards (DM9), Encyclopaedia Arcane – Abjuration (ea21), Ultimate Prestige Classes Vol 1 (Divine Emissary, Divine Hammer, Divine Herald, Hierarch, Scion)
List of Practitioners of the Celestologist Secret Craft
- Initiate – Shoval – Paladin of Vengeance (Fri)
- 1st Circle –
- 3rd Circle –
- 5th Circle –
Craft Magical Items – Celestologist
Ranks of the Celestologist Secret Craft
- Initiate (from 1st level)
- 1st Circle (from 6th level)
- 2nd Circle (from 11th level)
- 3rd Circle (from 16th level)
- 4th Circle (from 21st level)
- 5th Circle (from 26th level)
To become an initiate, one must be part of a Great Temples of the Known World.
- Craft Bonus = Proficiency + Wis + circle +2 (tba)
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Wis mod + circle achieved +2 (tba).
- Starting Language – Celestial (Angelic)
Celestologist Additional Crit Effects
- Celestologist Additional Craft Mishap: In addition to the base critical failure effect, you radiate a wave Radiant energy which causes the irreducible damage (from the standard mishap) as a punishment from your mentor, this hit point damage also affects everyone in your manifestation. You are unable to use anything with Celestial until you have a long rest.
- Celestologist Additional Craft Boon: In addition to the base critical success effect you are able to put out a wave of Radiant energy and feel invigorated by the effect (from the standard boon), this hit point healing also affects everyone in your manifestation. Your grasp of the Celestial tongue is beyond your normal understanding, until you have a long rest you have Advantage on any rolls using this language.
Expanded Craft Traits
- Craft Skill: You gain proficiency with this secret craft and use Wisdom as your ability score.
- Racial Bonus: tba races connected to them have a +2 to the craft skill.
- Patron: A member of a Pantheon who is a patron of celestial beings.
- Feature Activation Costs: 1 point per circle for Manifestation, Enhancement, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Expanded Magic: Characters gain extra spells to their spell list from this secret craft. You can do this once at initiation or advancement of the craft gaining a spell within your capabilities. You may gain this option again during other secret craft downtime subject to Dungeon Master approval. A prepared caster gains them as spells to be learned in their spellbook, a spontaneous caster can swap out the spells with their known spells during craft downtime.
- Artefacts of Crafting: You can make a craft check to use a artefact of crafting without expending the items power by paying for it with your own life force instead. This avoids the chance of a penalty being activated. You can also steal power from an artefact to heal your soul burn. If you are attuned to the artefact, you can use its power to activate your secret craft features with a chance of a penalty being activated.
Associated Classes: These classes can select this secret crafts as part of their level advancement.
- Barbarian: Path of the Zealot (xge11)
- Bard: College of Virtue (br183)
- Cleric: Balance Domain (br184), Knowledge Domain (ph59), Justice Domain (mhh61), Light Domain (ph)
- Fighter: Sword-Dancer (mhh39)
- Monk: Way of the Sun Soul (xge35)
- Paladin: Oath of the Ascetic (br194), Oath of Devotion (ph85), Oath of the Radiance (mhh39)
- Ranger: Hidden Guardians (fk11), Horizon Walker (xge42)
- Sorcerer: Divine Inspiration (br200), Divine Soul (xge50)
- Warlock: Pact of the Celestial (xge54)
- Wizard: Arcane Tradition of Angelic Scribe (mhh76), School of Conjuration (ph116)
Available Feats for an Celestologist:
- Cantrip – Benediction (mhh151), Starburst (mhh195), Word of Radiance (xge171)
- 1st Level – Angelic Guardian (mhh149), Cloth of Honourable Melee (bls32), Divine Beacon (bls46), Holy Infusion (bls71), Mercurial Smite (bls86)
- 2nd Level – Blade of Light (bls20), Blessed Halo (mhh153), Chanting (bls29), Orb of Light (mhh184), Sanctified Reverie of Arms (bls101), Spirit Cartographer (bls112), Vigil of Enlightenment (bls122), Wisdom of the Divine (bls128)
- 3rd Level – Blade of Wrath (mhh153), Divine Mantle (bls47), Favour Mount (bls56), Godly Patronage (bls64), Mighty Steed (bls86), Weapon of Retribution (bls126), Wings of Heaven (bls128)
- 4th Level – Balance of the Mind (bls17), Circle of Divine Censure (bls32), Diva’s Wings (mhh163), Divine Charge (bls46), Divine Communion (bls46), Exorcise (bls55), Hand of Judgement (bls66), Paean of Greater Glory (bls92), Paean of the Holy (bls92), Sickening Radiance (xge164), Test of Souls – R (br208)
- 5th Level – Blazing Chariot (mhh153), Dawn (xge153), Divine Beacon’s Answer (bls46), Fair Light (br207), Harmony of the Gods (bls68), Holy Blazon (bls71), Holy Ground (mhh174), Holy Weapon (xge157), Light of the Moon (br207), Sacred Champion (bls101), Starfall (mhh195), Wall of Light (xge170)
- 6th Level – Angel’s Cloak (bls13), Heavenly Crown (mhh173), Primordial Ward (xge163), Winter’s Radiance (mwb437)
- 7th Level – Crown of Stars (xge152), Divine Intervention (bls47), Sacred Aegis (bls100). Seal of Sanctuary – R (mhh190), Temple of the Gods (xge167)
- 8th Level – Call Divine Warrior (bls27), Divine Assimilation (bls45), Godsblood (bls64), Quintessence (mhh187), Summon Star (mhh196)
- 9th Level – Anwyn’s Elysian Palace (br206), Circle of Devastation (mmh157), Divine Inspiration (bls47), Form of the Gods (mhh168), Greater Seal of Sanctuary – R (mhh171), Judgement of Maal – R (br207), Shooting Stars (br207)
Celestologist 1st Circle (Apprentice)
Celestologist Manifestation (Replaces other active secret craft manifestation when activated)
Celestologist Apprentice (Manifestation SB 1 DC 16): When you activate this manifestation, you have a golden halo and project bright light out 10ft. When dealing radiant damage, a roll of a 1 is treated as a 2.
Celestologist Apprentice Enhancements and Powers (Requires Celestologist Apprentice to be active)
- Celestial Specialisation (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activate as part of a short rest. You can prepare one spell from the craft list as a known spell. You can reactivate this power to replace the known spell. Non-spellcasters can use this to gain a cantrip if listed.
- Divine Fear (Power SB 1 DC 16: As an action you can you can change your light radius to include it also causing fear in its radius while you concentrate up to ten minutes.
- Divine Speech (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activated during a short rest. Your speech is understood by anyone who hears you. This does not grant you the ability to understand others.
- Divine Smite (Power SB 1 DC 16): Activated as a bonus action. You can smite as a paladin, and the smite has the same effects as a Searing Smite spell.
Celestologist Apprentice Downtime Activities: require 1 or more points to activate and maintain. You do not require you to have the manifestation active to use.
- Craft Specialisation (SB 1+): You gain a known or prepared spell from the list of spells in this craft for each level you can cast. If you know more than one craft you can only have this available for one. Repeat activations changes the these slots to the activating craft.
- Eclesiarch’s Right (SB 1) You can requisition 5,000 gp of items from your religion to upgrade your church.
- Enhance Familiar (SB 1+): When summoning your familiar, you can choose to give it the ability of a celestial nature to the familiar. This will require a week of downtime and will cost you 1 soul burn per character level as well as 1 point per hit dice of the creature. This loss is permanent while you have the familiar. This loss is permanent while you have the familiar.
- Enhance Companion (SB 1+): When summoning a beast as a companion you can give it the ability of a celestial nature. This will require a week of downtime and will cost you 1 soul burn per character level as well as 1 point per hit dice of the creature. This loss is permanent while you have the companion.
- Enhance Mount (SB 1+): When summoning a beast as a mount (including the Paladin’s class feature) you can give it the ability of a celestial nature. This will require a week of downtime and will cost you 1 soul burn per character level as well as 1 point per hit dice of the creature. This loss is permanent while you have the mount.
Celestologist 2nd Circle (Journeyman)
Celestologist 3rd Circle (Adept)
Celestologist 4th Circle (Master)
Celestologist 5th Circle (Grand Master)
Secret Craft References
- Activation Costs: 1 SB point per circle for Manifestation, Enhancement, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Secret Craft Attempt = d20 + Prof + Abi mod + circle achieved.
- Craft Check: The craft check is a d20 plus your proficiency and the associated attribute modifier. This craft check must use the language associated with the craft as part of the check. You add your circle level to the roll with Initiates being +0. For every 5 points you exceed the target number you reduce the Soul Burn cost by 1. For every point you fail the roll by, you can choose to succeed by adding those point to the soul burn cost as long as it was not a critical failure.
- Base Critical Failure: A roll of a 1 on the craft check is a curse from your patron, and you suffer a mishap. The standard thing that happens is that you increase your soul burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it reduces your hit point maximum by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it causes hit point damage equal to the Crit Effect Modifier. Check each of the crafts for what additional effect happen during a mishap.
- Base Critical Success: A roll of a 20 on this check is a blessing from your patron, and you are granted a boon. The standard thing is that you reduce your Soul Burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it can restore damage to your maximum hit points by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it refreshes you repairing hit points equal to the Crit Effect Modifier . Check each of the crafts for what happens during a boon.
- Crit Effect Modifier: This is 1 + circle ability level + character level.
- So a 8th level character using a 2nd circle ability would have a crit effect modifier of 11.
- A 4th level character with a 1st circle ability would have a modifier of 6.
- A 12th level character with s 3rd circle ability would have a modifier of 16.
- A 16th level character with a 4th circle ability would have a modifier of 21.
- A 20th level character with a 5th circle ability would have a modifier of 25.
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Ability mod + circle achieved.
- Manifestation – Lasts until the end of a long rest, you expend it, or you dismiss it as a free action. You can extend a craft manifestation for 1 soul burn after a long rest to last until your next long rest without the need for a craft check. Manifestations gives you access to Manifestation Aspects, Enhancements and Powers.
- Manifestation Aspect – Selected as the version of the manifestation used when you activate the Manifestation.
- Enhancement – Lasts as long as the manifestation is active.
- Power – Has a limited duration, but needs the manifestation active to use.
- SB – Soul Burn. Each point of Soul Burn is a reduction to your maximum hit points. If your Soul Burn ever reduces your hit point total to zero your character is destroyed based in the craft and sponsor. Soul Burn can be recovered via downtime or other methods all with GM approval.
- 2021-10-10 – Wording cleanup to finish transition from copy of Craftologist to a Celestologist page.
Racial Crafts: (17) Bureauologist, Celestologist, Chaosologist, Craftologist, Cryptologist, Dragonologist, Elvenologist, Entertainologist, Healologist, Mechologist, Mentologist, Musicologist, Naturologist, Protectologist, Sailologist, Spiritologist, Weaponologist
These secret crafts are at player request: (16) Alchemologist (tba), Chronologist (tba), Diplomatologist (tba), Divinologist (tba), Fiendologist (tba), Portologist (tba), Preservologist (tba), Radologist (tba), Shapeologist (tba), Skaldologist (tba), Skyologist (tba), Spyologist (tba), Starologist (tba), Voidologist (tba), Wagonologist (tba), Witchologist (tba)
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Artillerist (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.