Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Secret Craft of Entertainers
aka Masters of Entertainment, Entertainologist
They are known as an Entertainologist in the great Theatres of the world and the Halls of the Bardic College of Darokin. They started out (and can still be found) as the Masters of Entertainment. This is an expansion of the Secret Crafts inspired by Gazetteer 3.
This secret craft was developed by those who have a deep connection with art of entertainment. These are abilities granted by the grace of the patrons of the arts.
Source Material: This secret craft was built from material gained from various editions of the game. Principalities of Glantri (gaz3), Ultimate Prestige Classes Vol 2 (Elven Carouser, Holy Fool, Jester)
List of Practitioners of the Entertainologist Secret Craft
- Initiate – Shofa – Bard of Valour (Fri)
- 1st Circle –
- 3rd Circle –
- 5th Circle –
Craft Magical Items – Entertainologist
Ranks of the Entertainologist Secret Craft
- Initiate (from 1st level)
- 1st Circle (from 6th level)
- 2nd Circle (from 11th level)
- 3rd Circle (from 16th level)
- 4th Circle (from 21st level)
- 5th Circle (from 26th level)
To become an initiate, one must be part of a Grand Theatre or Bardic College.
- Craft Bonus = Proficiency + Cha + circle +2 (Animalistic, Atruaghin, Ethengarian, Halfling, Makai)
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Cha mod + circle achieved +2 (Animalistic, Atruaghin, Ethengarian, Halfling, Makai).
- Bonus Language – Atruaghin, Ethengarian, or Makai
- Associated Sphere – Usually a Matter or Thought Immortal, Atruaghin Pantheon, Ethengarian Pantheon, Halfling Pantheon, Makai Pantheon, but any Immortal who is a Patron of artist is also valid.
- Expanded Magic: Characters gain extra spells to their spell list from this secret craft. A prepared caster gains them as spells in their spellbook, a spontaneous caster can swap out the spells with their known spells during craft downtime.
- Artefacts of Entertainment (any) You can make a craft check to use a artefact of entertainment without expending the items power by paying for it with your own life force instead. This avoids the chance of a penalty being activated. You can also steal power from an artefact to heal your soul burn. If you are attuned to the artefact, you can use its power to activate your secret craft features without a chance of a penalty being activated. Musical Instruments or Halfling attuned racial magical items allow you to pinch their charges for the day using 1 charge to replace 1 soul burn, and for each level or rarity above common the magical item can replace an additional point.
Entertainologist Additional Crit Effects
- Entertainologist Additional Craft Mishap: In addition to the base critical failure effect you are vibrating with Thunder which causes the irreducible damage (from the standard mishap) as a punishment from your mentor, this hit point damage also affects everyone in your manifestation. You are unable to conduct performances until you finish a long rest and have disadvantage on rolls using instruments.
- Entertainolgist Additional Craft Boon: In addition to the base critical success effect you are resonating with supporting vibrations causing a Thunder effect but feel invigorated by the effect (from the standard boon), this hit point healing also affects everyone in your manifestation. Your grasp of performing is beyond your normal understanding, until you have a long rest you have Advantage on any rolls using performance.
Associated Options – This is the Association between secret crafts, patrons, Immortals and classes and other class options.
- Patrons of
- Time – Civilisation – Ambition (2)
- Energy Immortals – Iliric (Ambition)
- Entropy Immortals – Pharamond (Ambition)
- Primary Pantheon/Immortals – Alphatian Empire (Iliric, Pharamond), Thyatian Empire (Iliric, Pharamond),
- Secondary Pantheon/Immortals – Dragonkin (Iliric), Ocean Guilds (Pharamond), Ylari (Pharamond),
- Councils – Assembly (Iliric, Pharamond), Energy (Iliric), Entropy (Pharamond), Hierarch (Pharamond), Temporal (Iliric),
- Cleric – Ambition (Ambition),
1st Level Spells – Bewitch (bls19), Cirrem’s Bewilderment (bls32), Colour Spray (ph223), Detect Evil and Good – R (ph232), Detect Magic – R (ph232), Detect Poison and Disease – R (ph232), Enhance Oration – R (bls52), Malicious Intent (bls84), Morph Shadow (bls88), Quick Change (bls96), Silent Image (ph277),
2nd Level Spells – Bead of Blazing (bls18), Blindness/Deafness (ph220), Blur (ph220), Darkvision – R (ph230), Death March (bls40), Detect Thoughts – R (ph232), Energetic Burst (bls52), Find Traps – RO (ph242), Jungle Cry (bls79), Phantom Accompaniment (bls93), Pyrotechnics (xge163), See Invisibility – R (ph275), Silence – R (ph276), Taunt (bls116), Wolf’s Howl (bls129)
3rd Level Spells – Air of Nobility (bls13), Dancer’s Grace (bls38), Lustful Gaze (bls83), Major Image – R (ph259), Player Instrument (bls93), Spiteful Images (bls113), Unfasten (bls121), Wailing Dirge (bls125)
4th Level Spells – Association (bls15), Fire Fascination (bls58), Hallucinatory Terrain – RO (ph250), Maligned Performance (bls84), Megalomania (bls86), Portrait (bls94), Voice of Confession (bls124)
5th Level Spells – Dance of Seduction (bls38), Discordant Chorus (bls45), Reverence (bls99), Shattering Cry (bls105), Tattoo Object (bls116)
- 6th Level – Dirge of the Victorious Knights (fkcc21), Illusory Illusion (bls74), Nymph’s Aura (bls90), Song Barrier (bls109)
- 7th Level – Agitate Crown (bls11), Charismatic Shield (bls30), Mangling Foot (bls85), Pocket Paradise (bls94)
- 8th Level –
- 9th Level –
Entertainologist 1st Circle (Apprentice)
Secret Crafts – Manifestations (Replaces other active secret craft manifestation when activated) Each Manifestation uses a light colour based on the Sphere it is being drawn from Energy (red), Entropy (black), Matter (green), Thought (white), Time (Blue). Each manifestation lasts until the end of your next long rest, and you can spend 1 soul burn to keep it active until the next long rest without rolling or you dismiss it.
Entertainologist Apprentice (Manifestation SB 1 DC 16): When you activate this manifestation, you radiate soothing hum and light 5ft radius. Your charisma dependant checks, effects, powers and magic have advantage while within sight. You also gain +1 to all Charisma based checks. While this is active a beast will not attack you unless you attack it first, or it is directed to by another
Entertainologist Apprentice Enhancements and Powers (Requires Entertainologist Apprentice to be active)
- Punchline (Power SB 1 DC 16) As a reaction you can cut of a spell as its being cast by making a joke of it. Acts as the spell counterspell.
- Comedic Dialog (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) You can use jokes to work with a bardic performance. Those within hearing of you who have bardic inspiration are also immune to fear.
- Entertainment Specialisation (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) Activate as part of a short rest. You can prepare one spell from the craft list as a known spell. You can reactivate this power to replace the known spell. Non-spellcasters can use this to gain a cantrip if listed.
- Insult (Power SB 1 DC 16) As an action you can activate this power. Enemies selected within 30 ft have to make a Wisdom saving throw or ignore others and attack only you.
- Skilled Combat Performer (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) You can activate this during a short rest. Any weapons you pick up or armour you put on are treated as if you were Skilled (weapons) or Proficient (armour). You can fight with two weapons as if you had the fighter two weapons combat style.
Downtime Activities: can require 1 or more soul burn points to activate and maintain. You do not require you to have the manifestation active to use. Use of downtime abilities cannot be offset by magical items or artefacts.
- Craft Specialisation (SB 1+): You gain a known or prepared spell from the list of spells in this craft for each level you can cast. If you know more than one craft you can only have this available for one. Repeat activations changes the these slots to the activating craft. Costs 1 point per level of the spell. This loss is permanent while you have access to these spells. Unlike regular spells, Cantrips cost 1 point per character level.
- Reputation – Initiate (SB 1) You can spend a week in a town gaining reputation to have advantage on all social checks for the next year. You increase your reputation in that location to its maximum for your level and you become recognisable by locals by sight and sound.
- Entertaining Story (SB 1) You write a story (Play, Story, Epic Poem) regarding a subject of your choice that is picked up in locations you have reputation. The details of what the story is about is kept in going while you keep the soul burn loss. You may only have one per circle compositions going at any one time.
- Entertainer Familiar (SB 1+) You spend a week to training a familiar to assist with performances. This gives the familiar the ability to provide a bonus equal to your circle obtained in this craft as a bonus to all perform checks. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the familiar class feature or follow the Atruaghin, Ethengarian, Halfling, Makai pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the familiar.
- Entertainer Companion (SB 1+) You spend a week to training a companion to assist with performances. This gives the companion the ability to provide a bonus equal to your circle obtained in this craft as a bonus to all perform checks. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the companion class feature or follow the Atruaghin, Ethengarian, Halfling, Makai pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the companion.
- Entertainer Mount (SB 1+) You spend a week to training a mount to assist with performances. This gives the mount the ability to provide a bonus equal to your circle obtained in this craft as a bonus to all perform checks. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the mount class feature or follow the Atruaghin, Ethengarian, Halfling, Makai pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the mount.
- Entertainer Scroll (SB 1+) You can spend a week scribing any spell from this secret crafts list onto a scroll, with the craft DC equal to 10 + spell level. Success causes SB equal to the spell level, which remains until the scroll is used. Unlike other scrolls, this scroll requires no check to activate and always succeeds at being cast. The soul burn spent on the scroll returns once the scroll is used.
Entertainologist 2nd Circle (Journeyman)
Entertainologist 3rd Circle (Adept)
Entertainologist 4th Circle (Master)
Entertainologist 5th Circle (Grand Master)
Secret Craft References
- Activation Costs: 1 SB point per circle for Manifestation, Enhancement, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Secret Craft Attempt = d20 + Prof + Abi mod + circle achieved.
- Craft Check: The craft check is a d20 plus your proficiency and the associated attribute modifier. This craft check must use the language associated with the craft as part of the check. You add your circle level to the roll with Initiates being +0. For every 5 points you exceed the target number you reduce the Soul Burn cost by 1. For every point you fail the roll by, you can choose to succeed by adding those point to the soul burn cost as long as it was not a critical failure.
- Base Critical Failure: A roll of a 1 on the craft check is a curse from your patron, and you suffer a mishap. The standard thing that happens is that you increase your soul burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it reduces your hit point maximum by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it causes hit point damage equal to the Crit Effect Modifier. Check each of the crafts for what additional effect happen during a mishap.
- Base Critical Success: A roll of a 20 on this check is a blessing from your patron, and you are granted a boon. The standard thing is that you reduce your Soul Burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it can restore damage to your maximum hit points by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it refreshes you repairing hit points equal to the Crit Effect Modifier . Check each of the crafts for what happens during a boon.
- Crit Effect Modifier: This is 1 + circle ability level + character level.
So a 8th level character using a 2nd circle ability would have a crit effect modifier of 11. A 4th level character with a 1st circle ability would have a modifier of 6. A 12th level character with s 3rd circle ability would have a modifier of 16. A 16th level character with a 4th circle ability would have a modifier of 21. A 20th level character with a 5th circle ability would have a modifier of 25.
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Ability mod + circle achieved.
- Manifestation – Lasts until the end of a long rest, you expend it, or you dismiss it as a free action. You can extend a craft manifestation for 1 soul burn after a long rest to last until your next long rest without the need for a craft check. Manifestations gives you access to Manifestation Aspects, Enhancements and Powers.
- Manifestation Aspect – Selected as the version of the manifestation used when you activate the Manifestation.
- Enhancement – Lasts as long as the manifestation is active.
- Power – Has a limited duration, but needs the manifestation active to use.
- SB – Soul Burn. Each point of Soul Burn is a reduction to your maximum hit points. If your Soul Burn ever reduces your hit point total to zero your character is destroyed based in the craft and sponsor. Soul Burn can be recovered via downtime or other methods all with GM approval.
- 2022-03-13 – Updated the Initiate level abilities and wording. Update of the 1st Circle abilities and powers to bring them more in line with the changes made to the initiate level and through trial in play over the last year
Racial Crafts: (38) Alchem, Beast, Bureau, Celest, Chaos, Chrono, Craft, Crypt, Diplomat, Diviner, Dragon, Elven, Entertain, Fiend, Heal, Mech, Mental, Merch, Music, Nature, Portal, Preserve, Protect, Rad, Sail, Shape, Skald, Sky, Spirit, Spy, Star, Sumon, Tech, Void, Wagon, War, Weapon, Witch
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.