Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Secret Craft of Great Makers
aka Masters of Crafting, Craftologist or Paragon
They are known as an Craftologist in the great Smithries and workplaces of the world such as Darokin, Minrothad and Rockhome. They started out (and can still be found) as the Masters of Crafting. This is an expansion of the Secret Crafts inspired by Gazetteer 3.
A group of dwarves learned to harness magic through rings of power, gnomes who specialise in magic over technology. This is also the path of the Paragon who are required to take this secret craft to the path to immortality in the sphere of energy. These are abilities granted by the grace of the patrons of crafts.
Source Material: This secret craft was built from material gained from various editions of the game. Principalities of Glantri (gaz3), Deep Magic 9 – Ring Magic (DM9), Encyclopaedia Arcane – Constructs (ea04), Encyclopaedia Arcane – Crossbreeding (ea13), Ultimate Prestige Classes Vol 1 (Artificer, Forge Mage, Gifted Maker)
List of Practitioners of the Craftologist Secret Craft
- Initiate –
- 1st Circle – Shofa – Bard of Valour (Fri)
- 3rd Circle –
- 5th Circle –
Craft Magical Items – Craftologist
Ranks of the Craftologist Secret Craft
- Initiate (from 1st level)
- 1st Circle (from 6th level)
- 2nd Circle (from 11th level)
- 3rd Circle (from 16th level)
- 4th Circle (from 21st level)
- 5th Circle (from 26th level)
To become an initiate, one must be part of a Crafters Guild in Rockhome, Darokin or Minrothad.
- Craft Bonus = Proficiency + Int + circle +2 (tba)
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Int mod + circle achieved +2 (tba).
- Starting Language – Dwarven, Elven, Gnome
Craftologist Additional Crit Effects
- Craftologist Additional Craft Mishap: In addition to the base critical failure effect you cause one of your items to explode which causes the irreducible damage (from the standard mishap) as a punishment from your mentor, this hit point damage also affects everyone in your manifestation. You are unable to craft until you finish a long rest and have disadvantage on rolls using tools.
- Craftologist Additional Craft Boon: In addition to the base critical success effect you are able to learn a new crafting recipe for mundane equipment and feel invigorated by the effect (from the standard boon), this hit point healing also affects everyone in your manifestation. Your grasp of crafting is beyond your normal understanding, until you have a long rest you have Advantage on any rolls using tools.
Expanded Craft Traits
- Craft Skill: You gain proficiency with this secret craft and use Intelligence as your ability score.
- Racial Bonus: Dwarven and Gnome races connected to them have a +2 to the craft skill.
- Patron: A member of a Pantheon who is a patron of Crafts.
- Feature Activation Costs: 1 point per circle for Manifestation, Enhancement, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Expanded Magic: Characters gain extra spells to their spell list from this secret craft. You can do this once at initiation or advancement of the craft gaining a spell within your capabilities. You may gain this option again during other secret craft downtime subject to Dungeon Master approval. A prepared caster gains them as spells to be learned in their spellbook, a spontaneous caster can swap out the spells with their known spells during craft downtime.
- Artefacts of Crafting: You can make a craft check to use a artefact of crafting without expending the items power by paying for it with your own life force instead. This avoids the chance of a penalty being activated. You can also steal power from an artefact to heal your soul burn. If you are attuned to the artefact, you can use its power to activate your secret craft features with a chance of a penalty being activated.
Associated Classes: These classes can select this secret crafts as part of their level advancement.
- Barbarian: Battlerager (scag121)
- Cleric: Creation Domain (br185), Forge Domain (xge18)
- Fighter: Battle Master (ph72), Shieldbearer (mhh38), Weapon Master (gm)
- Paladin: Oath of Perfection (br198)
- Wizard: Arcane Tradition of Ring Warden (mhh90), School of Artifice (br202)
Available Feats for an Craftologist:
- Cantrip – Control Flames (xge152), Decorate Object (bls41), Hoarfrost (mhh174), Itemize (bls79)
- 1st Level – Circle of Wind – R (mhh157), Ringstrike (mhh188), Unfettered Steed (bls122)
- 2nd Level – Air Forge – R (bls12), Artistic Inspiration*, Bitter Chains (mhh151), Molten Strike (bls87), Reverberate (mhh188)
- 3rd Level – Innocuous Aspect (mhh175), Reshape Metal (bls99), Tenacious Blade (bls116), Tiny Servant (xge168)
- 4th Level – Mark of Ownership (bls86), Silver Spear (bls106), Spinning Axes (mhh194)
- 5th Level – Blessing of the Forge (bls22), Create Homunculus (xge152), Curse Ring (mhh161), Instant Siege Weapon – R (mhh176), Tattoo Object (bls116), Unyielding Durability (bls122)
- 6th Level – Enchant Ring (mhh165), Farvision (bls56), Glass Window (bls64), Transmute Gold to Steel (bls119), Transparent Steel (bls119)
- 7th Level – Disassemble (bls45), Ice Soldiers (mwb429), Ringward (mhh189)
- 8th Level – Create Ring Servant (mhh160), Glass into Iron (bls64)
- 9th Level – Circle of Devastation (mhh157)
Craftologist 1st Circle (Apprentice)
Craftologist Manifestation (Replaces other active secret craft manifestation when activated)
Craftologist Apprentice (Manifestation SB 1 DC 16): When you activate this manifestation, light of a colour appealing to you radiates out to 10ft and everyone within your light radius has advantage on craft related checks.
Craftologist Apprentice Enhancements and Powers (Requires Craftologist Apprentice to be active)
- Craft Specialisation (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activate as part of a short rest. You can prepare one spell from the craft list as a known spell. You can reactivate this power to replace the known spell. Non-spellcasters can use this to gain a cantrip if listed.
- God Crafting (Power SB 1 DC 16: As an action you can gain the benefit of a weeks worth of crafting in an instant, but still need to make the crafting roll to build the item.
- Practiced Hand (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activated during a short rest. You gain expertise on Crafting checks and tool use.
- Resource Allocation (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activated during a short rest. When you craft an item, it reduces the cost by 5%.
Craftologist Apprentice Downtime Activities: require 1 or more points to activate and maintain. You do not require you to have the manifestation active to use.
- Craft Specialisation (SB 1+): You gain a known or prepared spell from the list of spells in this craft for each level you can cast. If you know more than one craft you can only have this available for one. Repeat activations changes the these slots to the activating craft.
- Enhance Familiar (SB 1+): When summoning your familiar, you can choose to give it the ability to help with crafting to the familiar. This will require a week of downtime and will cost you 1 soul burn per character level as well as 1 point per hit dice of the creature. This loss is permanent while you have the familiar. This loss is permanent while you have the familiar.
- Enhance Companion (SB 1+): When summoning a beast as a companion you can give it the ability help with crafting. This will require a week of downtime and will cost you 1 soul burn per character level as well as 1 point per hit dice of the creature. This loss is permanent while you have the companion.
- Enhance Mount (SB 1+): When summoning a beast as a mount (including the Paladin’s class feature) you can give it the ability help with crafting. This will require a week of downtime and will cost you 1 soul burn per character level as well as 1 point per hit dice of the creature. This loss is permanent while you have the mount.
- Metallurgical Expertise (SB 1) You can halve the costs of downtime conducted in the same week you activate this, which can remain active till you finish your downtime activities taking up one of your downtime options for that week.
Craftologist 2nd Circle (Journeyman)
Craftologist 3rd Circle (Adept)
Craftologist 4th Circle (Master)
Craftologist 5th Circle (Grand Master)
Secret Craft References
- Activation Costs: 1 SB point per circle for Manifestation, Enhancement, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Secret Craft Attempt = d20 + Prof + Abi mod + circle achieved.
- Craft Check: The craft check is a d20 plus your proficiency and the associated attribute modifier. This craft check must use the language associated with the craft as part of the check. You add your circle level to the roll with Initiates being +0. For every 5 points you exceed the target number you reduce the Soul Burn cost by 1. For every point you fail the roll by, you can choose to succeed by adding those point to the soul burn cost as long as it was not a critical failure.
- Base Critical Failure: A roll of a 1 on the craft check is a curse from your patron, and you suffer a mishap. The standard thing that happens is that you increase your soul burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it reduces your hit point maximum by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it causes hit point damage equal to the Crit Effect Modifier. Check each of the crafts for what additional effect happen during a mishap.
- Base Critical Success: A roll of a 20 on this check is a blessing from your patron, and you are granted a boon. The standard thing is that you reduce your Soul Burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it can restore damage to your maximum hit points by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it refreshes you repairing hit points equal to the Crit Effect Modifier . Check each of the crafts for what happens during a boon.
- Crit Effect Modifier: This is 1 + circle ability level + character level.
- So a 8th level character using a 2nd circle ability would have a crit effect modifier of 11.
- A 4th level character with a 1st circle ability would have a modifier of 6.
- A 12th level character with s 3rd circle ability would have a modifier of 16.
- A 16th level character with a 4th circle ability would have a modifier of 21.
- A 20th level character with a 5th circle ability would have a modifier of 25.
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Ability mod + circle achieved.
- Manifestation – Lasts until the end of a long rest, you expend it, or you dismiss it as a free action. You can extend a craft manifestation for 1 soul burn after a long rest to last until your next long rest without the need for a craft check. Manifestations gives you access to Manifestation Aspects, Enhancements and Powers.
- Manifestation Aspect – Selected as the version of the manifestation used when you activate the Manifestation.
- Enhancement – Lasts as long as the manifestation is active.
- Power – Has a limited duration, but needs the manifestation active to use.
- SB – Soul Burn. Each point of Soul Burn is a reduction to your maximum hit points. If your Soul Burn ever reduces your hit point total to zero your character is destroyed based in the craft and sponsor. Soul Burn can be recovered via downtime or other methods all with GM approval.
- 2021-10-07 – Wording cleanup to finish transition from copy of Airologist to a Musicologist page.
Racial Crafts: (17) Bureauologist, Celestologist, Chaosologist, Craftologist, Cryptologist, Dragonologist, Elvenologist, Entertainologist, Healologist, Mechologist, Mentologist, Musicologist, Naturologist, Protectologist, Sailologist, Spiritologist, Weaponologist
These secret crafts are at player request: (16) Alchemologist (tba), Chronologist (tba), Diplomatologist (tba), Divinologist (tba), Fiendologist (tba), Portologist (tba), Preservologist (tba), Radologist (tba), Shapeologist (tba), Skaldologist (tba), Skyologist (tba), Spyologist (tba), Starologist (tba), Voidologist (tba), Wagonologist (tba), Witchologist (tba)
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Artillerist (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.