Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Secret Craft of Nature
aka Masters of Animals and Plants, Naturologist, Nature
They are known as an Naturologist in the great forests of the world. They started out (and can still be found) as the Masters of Animals and Plants. This is an expansion of the Secret Crafts inspired by Gazetteer 3.
A group of crafters of secret known how to tap into the natural realms. These are abilities granted by the grace of the patrons of nature.
Source Material: This secret craft was built using…
List of Practitioners of the Naturologist Secret Craft
- Initiate –
- 1st Circle –
- 3rd Circle –
- 5th Circle –
Craft Magical Items – Naturologist
Ranks of the Naturologist Secret Craft
- Initiate (from 1st level)
- 1st Circle (from 6th level)
- 2nd Circle (from 11th level)
- 3rd Circle (from 16th level)
- 4th Circle (from 21st level)
- 5th Circle (from 26th level)
To become an initiate, one must be part of a Great Temples of the Known World.
- Craft Bonus = Proficiency + Wis + circle +2 (tba)
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Wis mod + circle achieved +2 (tba).
- Starting Language – Druidic
Naturologist Additional Crit Effects
- Naturologist Additional Craft Mishap: In addition to the base critical failure effect, you radiate a wave Poison energy which causes the irreducible damage (from the standard mishap) as a punishment from your mentor, this hit point damage also affects everyone in your manifestation. You are unable to use anything with language until you have a long rest.
- Naturologist Additional Craft Boon: In addition to the base critical success effect you are able to put out a wave of life energy and feel invigorated by the effect (from the standard boon), this hit point healing also affects everyone in your manifestation. Your grasp of the languages tongue is beyond your normal understanding, until you have a long rest you have Advantage on any rolls using language.
Expanded Craft Traits
- Craft Skill: You gain proficiency with this secret craft and use Wisdom as your ability score.
- Racial Bonus: tba races connected to them have a +2 to the craft skill.
- Patron: A member of a Pantheon who is a patron of celestial beings.
- Feature Activation Costs: 1 point per circle for Manifestation, Enhancement, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Expanded Magic: Characters gain extra spells to their spell list from this secret craft. You can do this once at initiation or advancement of the craft gaining a spell within your capabilities. You may gain this option again during other secret craft downtime subject to Dungeon Master approval. A prepared caster gains them as spells to be learned in their spellbook, a spontaneous caster can swap out the spells with their known spells during craft downtime.
- Artefacts of Crafting: You can make a craft check to use a artefact of crafting without expending the items power by paying for it with your own life force instead. This avoids the chance of a penalty being activated. You can also steal power from an artefact to heal your soul burn. If you are attuned to the artefact, you can use its power to activate your secret craft features with a chance of a penalty being activated.
Associated Classes: These classes can select this secret crafts as part of their level advancement.
- Cleric: Nature Domain (ph)
Available Feats for an Naturologist:
- Cantrip – Alter Normal Fire (bls13), Daze Animal (bls40), Infestation (xge158), Primal Savagery (xge163)
- 1st Level – Affect Normal Fog (bls11), Alter Scent (bls13), Beast Bond (xge150), Bee Sting (bls19), Bewildering Tracks (bls19), Call of the Wild Companion (bls27), Chlorophyll (bls31), Divining Rod – R (bls47), Empower Companion (bls52), Feather Step (bls56), Guiding Star – R (mhh172), Mosquito Bane (mhh183), Otter’s Grace (bls92), Pummel (bls95), Snare (xge165), Swirling Leaves (bls115), Tree Ladder (bls119), Wolfsong (mhh203), Woodland Shriek (bls129)
- 2nd Level – Blessed Harvest (bls22), Boost Potency (bls25), Branch Assault (bls25), Bug Bites (bls26), Catnip (bls28), Chatterwild (bls30), Healing Spirit (xge157), Hunter’s Insight (bls73), Identify Tracks (bls74), Leaf Fall (bls80), Leaf Tide (bls81), Nature’s Aura (bls88), Pollen Cloud (bls94), Quell the Wild (bls95), Regenerate Plant (bls98), Thorn Snare (bls117), Wolf’s Howl (bls129)
- 3rd Level – Animal Mask (bls13), Bestow Speech (bls19), Dire Rage (bls44), Earthen Concealment (bls49), Halt Plant (bls66), Hornet Wall (bls71), Nature’s Repast (bls89), Nature’s Strength (bls89), Unstoppable Tracker (bls122), Volley of Thorns (bls124)
- 4th Level – Absorption (bls10), Barbaric Rage (bls17), Charm Monster (xge151), Enliven Wood (bls52), Forest Home (bls61), Guardian of Nature (xge157), Storm Sphere (xge166), Vines of Binding (bls123)
- 5th Level – Death Spores (bls41), Enrich Soil (bls52), Gutsprout (bls66), Prey’s Scent (bls94), Vengeful Environs (bls122), Wrath of Nature (xge171)
- 6th Level – Acorn Grove (bls11), Blades of Jade (bls21), Druid Grove (xge154), Nature’s Support (bls89), Plant Form (bls93)
- 7th Level –
- 8th Level – Darken Forest (bls40), Tranquil Grove (bls118)
- 9th Level – Crag Warrior (bls35)
Naturologist 1st Circle (Apprentice)
Naturologist Manifestation (Replaces other active secret craft manifestation when activated)
Naturologist Apprentice (Manifestation SB 1 DC 16): When you activate this manifestation, you have a green halo and project bright light out 10ft. When healing damage, a roll of a 1 is treated as a 2. Beasts or Plants will not attack you in this aura unless you or one of your allies attack them first.
Naturologist Apprentice Enhancements and Powers (Requires Naturologist Apprentice to be active)
- Nature Specialisation (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activate as part of a short rest. You can prepare one spell from the craft list as a known spell. You can reactivate this power to replace the known spell. Non-spellcasters can use this to gain a cantrip if listed.
- Natures Fear (Power SB 1 DC 16: As an action you can you can change your light radius to include it also causing fear in its radius while you concentrate up to ten minutes.
- Natures Friend (Power SB 1 DC 16): Activated as a bonus action. You can cast Animal Friendship. Your able to spend extra power points to increase the level of the spell.
- Natures Speech (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activated during a short rest. Your speech is understood by any beasts who hears you. This does not grant you the ability to understand others.
Naturologist Apprentice Downtime Activities: require 1 or more points to activate and maintain. You do not require you to have the manifestation active to use.
- Craft Specialisation (SB 1+): You gain a known or prepared spell from the list of spells in this craft for each level you can cast. If you know more than one craft you can only have this available for one. Repeat activations changes the these slots to the activating craft.
- Enhance Familiar (SB 1+): When summoning your familiar, you can choose to give it the ability of a beastial or plant nature to the familiar. This will require a week of downtime and will cost you 1 soul burn per character level or 1 soul burn if a class feature. This loss is permanent while you have the familiar. This loss is permanent while you have the familiar.
- Enhance Companion (SB 1+): When summoning a beast as a companion you can give it the ability of a beastial or plant nature. This will require a week of downtime and will cost you 1 soul burn per character level or 1 soul burn if a class feature. This loss is permanent while you have the companion.
- Enhance Mount (SB 1+): When summoning a beast as a mount (including the Paladin’s class feature) you can give it the ability of a beastial or plant nature. This will require a week of downtime and will cost you 1 soul burn per character level or 1 soul burn if a class feature. This loss is permanent while you have the mount.
Naturologist 2nd Circle (Journeyman)
Naturologist 3rd Circle (Adept)
Naturologist 4th Circle (Master)
Naturologist 5th Circle (Grand Master)
Secret Craft References
- Activation Costs: 1 SB point per circle for Manifestation, Enhancement, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Secret Craft Attempt = d20 + Prof + Abi mod + circle achieved.
- Craft Check: The craft check is a d20 plus your proficiency and the associated attribute modifier. This craft check must use the language associated with the craft as part of the check. You add your circle level to the roll with Initiates being +0. For every 5 points you exceed the target number you reduce the Soul Burn cost by 1. For every point you fail the roll by, you can choose to succeed by adding those point to the soul burn cost as long as it was not a critical failure.
- Base Critical Failure: A roll of a 1 on the craft check is a curse from your patron, and you suffer a mishap. The standard thing that happens is that you increase your soul burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it reduces your hit point maximum by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it causes hit point damage equal to the Crit Effect Modifier. Check each of the crafts for what additional effect happen during a mishap.
- Base Critical Success: A roll of a 20 on this check is a blessing from your patron, and you are granted a boon. The standard thing is that you reduce your Soul Burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it can restore damage to your maximum hit points by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it refreshes you repairing hit points equal to the Crit Effect Modifier . Check each of the crafts for what happens during a boon.
- Crit Effect Modifier: This is 1 + circle ability level + character level.
- So a 8th level character using a 2nd circle ability would have a crit effect modifier of 11.
- A 4th level character with a 1st circle ability would have a modifier of 6.
- A 12th level character with s 3rd circle ability would have a modifier of 16.
- A 16th level character with a 4th circle ability would have a modifier of 21.
- A 20th level character with a 5th circle ability would have a modifier of 25.
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Ability mod + circle achieved.
- Manifestation – Lasts until the end of a long rest, you expend it, or you dismiss it as a free action. You can extend a craft manifestation for 1 soul burn after a long rest to last until your next long rest without the need for a craft check. Manifestations gives you access to Manifestation Aspects, Enhancements and Powers.
- Manifestation Aspect – Selected as the version of the manifestation used when you activate the Manifestation.
- Enhancement – Lasts as long as the manifestation is active.
- Power – Has a limited duration, but needs the manifestation active to use.
- SB – Soul Burn. Each point of Soul Burn is a reduction to your maximum hit points. If your Soul Burn ever reduces your hit point total to zero your character is destroyed based in the craft and sponsor. Soul Burn can be recovered via downtime or other methods all with GM approval.
- 2021-10-14 – Updating the downtime aspects of this class.
Racial Crafts: (17) Bureauologist, Celestologist, Chaosologist, Craftologist, Cryptologist, Dragonologist, Elvenologist, Entertainologist, Healologist, Mechologist, Mentologist, Musicologist, Naturologist, Protectologist, Sailologist, Spiritologist, Weaponologist
These secret crafts are at player request: (16) Alchemologist (tba), Chronologist (tba), Diplomatologist (tba), Divinologist (tba), Fiendologist (tba), Portologist (tba), Preservologist (tba), Radologist (tba), Shapeologist (tba), Skaldologist (tba), Skyologist (tba), Spyologist (tba), Starologist (tba), Voidologist (tba), Wagonologist (tba), Witchologist (tba)
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Artillerist (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.