Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Secret Craft of Nature
aka Masters of Animals and Plants, Naturologist, Nature
They are known as an Naturologist in the great forests of the world. They started out (and can still be found) as the Masters of Animals and Plants. This is an expansion of the Secret Crafts inspired by Gazetteer 3.
A group of crafters of secret known how to tap into the natural realms. These are abilities granted by the grace of the patrons of nature.
Source Material: This secret craft was built using…
List of Practitioners of the Naturologist Secret Craft
- Initiate –
- 1st Circle –
- 3rd Circle –
- 5th Circle –
Craft Magical Items – Naturologist
Ranks of the Naturologist Secret Craft
- Initiate (from 1st level)
- 1st Circle (from 6th level)
- 2nd Circle (from 11th level)
- 3rd Circle (from 16th level)
- 4th Circle (from 21st level)
- 5th Circle (from 26th level)
To become an initiate, one must be part of a Great Temples of the Known World.
Secret Craft – Naturologist – Initiate
- Craft Bonus = Proficiency + Wis + circle +2 (Earth Aspected, Sylvan or Fey)
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Wis mod + circle achieved +2 (Earth Aspected, Sylvan or Fey).
- Starting Language – Sylvan
- Associated Sphere – Usually a Forest Pantheon Immortal, Ocean Pantheon Immortal, Randiance Pantheon Immortal, Shadowlands Pantheon Immortal, Sky Pantheon Immortal, or any Immortal who is a Patron of nature is valid.
- Expanded Magic: Characters gain extra spells to their spell list from this secret craft. You can do this once at initiation or advancement of the craft gaining a spell within your capabilities. A prepared caster gains them in their spellbook, a spontaneous caster can swap out the spells with their known spells during craft downtime.
- Artefacts of Matter (Nature): You can make a craft check to use a artefact of matter without expending the items power by paying for it with your own life force instead. This avoids the chance of a penalty being activated. You can also steal power from an artefact to heal your soul burn. If you are attuned to the artefact, you can use its power to activate your secret craft features without a chance of a penalty being activated. Nature related magical items attuned allow you to pinch their charges for the day using 1 charge to replace 1 soul burn, and for each level or rarity above common the magical item can replace an additional point.
Naturologist Additional Crit Effects
- Naturologist Additional Craft Mishap: In addition to the base critical failure effect, you radiate a wave Poison energy which causes the irreducible damage (from the standard mishap) as a punishment from your mentor, this hit point damage also affects everyone in your manifestation. You are unable to use anything with language until you have a long rest.
- Naturologist Additional Craft Boon: In addition to the base critical success effect you are able to put out a wave of life energy and feel invigorated by the effect (from the standard boon), this hit point healing also affects everyone in your manifestation. Your grasp of the languages tongue is beyond your normal understanding, until you have a long rest you have Advantage on any rolls using language.
Naturologist Secret Craft
Associated Options – This is the Association between secret crafts, patrons, Immortals and classes and other class options.
- Patrons of
- Matter – Living – Abundance (2), Agriculture (4), Animals (2)
- Thought – Science – Agriculture (4)
- Dual Matter/Thought – Living Science – Agriculture (4)
- Nationality – Alfheim (1)
- Single Element Organisations – Matter – Growth
- Energy Immortal – Mealiden, Ninsun, Zirchev
- Matter Immortals – Faunus, Terra
- Thought Immortals – Frey, Freyja, Ralon,
- Time Immortals – Brindorhin,
- Primary Pantheon/Immortals – Atruaghin (Faunus, Zirchev), Dwarven and Gnome (Frey, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra), Elven (Mealiden), Forest (Brinforhin, Faunus, Frey, Fryja, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra, Zirchev), Halfling (Brinforhin, Frey, Freyja, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra), Land Guilds (Frey, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra), Myoshima (Frey, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra)
- Secondary Pantheon/Immortals – Alphatian Empire (Freyja), Dragonkin (Brindorhin, Freyja, Mealiden, Terra), Dwarven and Gnome (Brindorhin, Freyja), Earth (Terra), Elven (Faunus, Frey), Ethengarian (Frey), Halfling (Faunus), Land Guilds (Freyja, Mealiden), Giantkin (Frey, Mealiden, ), Makai (Mealiden), Norse (Faunus, Frey, Freyja), Thyatian Empire (Frey, Mealiden), Traladaran (Mealiden, Zirchev),
- Councils – Assembly (Brindorhun, Faunus, Frey, Freyja, Mealiden, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra, Zirchev), Celestials (Brindorhim, Frey, Freyja, Zirchev), Empyreal (Mealiden), Energy (Mealiden, Ninsun, Zirchev), Hierarch (Ninsun, Terra), Matter (Faunus, Terra), Sphere (Terra), Temporal (Faunus, Ralon), Thought (Frey, Freyja, Ralon), Time (Brindorhin),
- Immortals of Energy (3) – Ninsum (Hierarch 35, Agriculture), Mealiden (Empyreal 23, Alfheim), Zirchev (Celestial 17, Animals),
- Immortals of Matter (2) – Faunus (Temporal 11, Animals), Terra (Hierarch 36, Agriculture),
- Immortals of Thought (3) – Frey (Celestial 13, Aesirs, Agriculture), Freyja (Celestial 14, Abundance, Aesirs), Ralon (Temporal 9, Agriculture),
- Immortals of Time (1) – Brindorhin (Celestial 14, Abundance),
- Barbarian – Storm Herald – Mountain (Agriculture),
- Cleric – Cats (Animals), Earth (Agriculture), Hunting (Animals), Nature (Abundance, Agriculture, Alfheim, Animals),
- Monk – Elements – Earth (Agriculture),
- Sorcerer – Draconic Bloodline – Earth (Agriculture), Elemental Essence – Earth (Agriculture),
- Warlock – Genie Lord – Earth (Agriculture),
- Wizard – Elementalist – Earth (Agriculture),
Elemental Adept (ph166, Agriculture), Negotiator (Agriculture), Survivor (Agriculture),
Spell List – Secret Craft – Naturologist (Nature)
(Beast, Nature, Plant and Storm based spells)
Cantrip – Alter Normal Fire (bls13), Daze Animal (bls40), Druidcraft (ph231), Ensnaring Strike (ph238), Hail of Thorns (ph250), Hunter’s Mark (ph252), Infestation (xge158), Primal Savagery (xge163), Produce Flame (ph270), Resistance (ph273), Shillelagh (ph276), Thorn Whip (ph283),
1st Level Spells – Affect Normal Fog – R (bls11), Alter Scent (bls13), Animal Friendship (ph213), Beast Bond (xge150), Bee Sting (bls19), Bewildering Tracks (bls19), Call of the Wild Companion (bls27), Chlorophyll (bls31), Cloud Burst – R (bls33), Cure Wounds – R (ph231), Detect Magic – R (ph232), Detect Poison and Disease – R (ph232), Divining Rod – R (bls47), Empower Companion (bls52), Entangle (ph239), Feather Step (bls56), Find Familiar – RO (ph241), Fog Cloud (ph244), Goodberry (ph247), Guiding Star – R (mhh172), Mosquito Bane (mhh183), Otter’s Grace (bls92), Pummel (bls95), Purify Food and Drink – R (ph271), Snare (xge165), Speak with Animals – R (ph278), Swirling Leaves (bls115), Thunderwave (ph283), Tree Ladder (bls119), Wolfsong (mhh203), Woodland Shriek (bls129)
2nd Level Spells – Animal Messenger – R (ph213), Barkskin – R (ph218), Blessed Harvest (bls22), Boost Potency (bls25), Branch Assault (bls25), Bug Bites (bls26), Catnip (bls28), Chatterwild (bls30), Darkvision – R (ph230), Enhance Ability – R (ph238), Find Steed – RO (ph241), Gust of Wind – R (ph248), Healing Spirit (xge157), Heat Metal (ph251), Hunter’s Insight (bls73), Identify Tracks (bls74), Leaf Fall (bls80), Leaf Tide (bls81), Locate Animals or Plants – R (ph257), Moonbeam (ph262), Nature’s Aura (bls88), Pass through Element – R (ea08), Pass Without Trace – R (ph265), Pollen Cloud (bls94), Protection from Poison – R (ph271), Quell the Wild (bls95), Regenerate Plant (bls98), Sleet Storm (ph277), Spike Growth (ph278), Thorn Snare (bls117), Wolf’s Howl (bls129)
3rd Level Spells – Animal Mask (bls13), Call Lightning (ph220), Bestow Speech (bls19), Conjure Animals (ph226), Daylight (ph231), Dire Rage (bls44), Earthen Concealment (bls49), Halt Plant (bls66), Hornet Wall (bls71), Lightning Bolt (ph256), Meld Into Stone – R (ph260), Nature’s Repast (bls89), Nature’s Strength (bls89), Plant Growth – R (ph267), Speak with Plants – R (ph278), Unstoppable Tracker (bls122), Volley of Thorns (bls124), Wind Wall (ph289)
4th Level Spells – Absorption (bls10), Barbaric Rage (bls17), Blight (ph220), Charm Monster (xge151), Conjure Minor Elementals – RO (ph226), Conjure Woodland Beings – R (ph227), Control Water (ph228), Dominate Beast (ph235), Enliven Wood (bls52), Forest Home (bls61), Giant Insect (ph246), Grasping Vine (ph247), Guardian of Nature (xge157), Ice Storm (ph253), Locate Creature – R (ph257), Polymorph (ph267), Stone Shape (ph279), Stoneskin (ph279), Storm Sphere (xge166), Vines of Binding (bls123)
5th Level Spells – Awaken – RO (ph217), Commune with Nature – RO (ph225), Conjure Elemental – RO (ph225), Contagion (ph228), Death Spores (bls41), Dominate Person (see Dominate Beast), Enrich Soil (bls52), Gutsprout (bls66), Insect Plague (ph255), Prey’s Scent (bls94), Vengeful Environs (bls122), Wrath of Nature (xge171)
- 6th Level – Acorn Grove (bls11), Blades of Jade (bls21), Druid Grove (xge154), Nature’s Support (bls89), Plant Form (bls93)
- 7th Level –
- 8th Level – Darken Forest (bls40), Tranquil Grove (bls118)
- 9th Level – Crag Warrior (bls35)
R – Ritual Spells.
Source: bls, mhh, ph, xge
Naturologist 1st Circle (Apprentice)
Secret Crafts – Naturologist – 1st Circle
Secret Crafts – Manifestations (Replaces other active secret craft manifestation when activated) Each Manifestation uses a light colour based on the Sphere it is being drawn from Energy (red), Entropy (black), Matter (green), Thought (white), Time (Blue). Each manifestation lasts until the end of your next long rest, and you can spend 1 soul burn to keep it active until the next long rest without rolling or you dismiss it.
Naturologist Apprentice (Manifestation SB 1 DC 16): When you activate this manifestation, you project bright light out 10ft. When healing damage or using poison based effects, a roll of a 1 is treated as a 2. Beasts or Plants will not attack you or anyone else in this aura unless you or one of your allies attack them first.
Naturologist Apprentice Enhancements and Powers (Requires Naturologist Apprentice to be active)
- Nature Specialisation (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activate as part of a short rest. You can prepare one spell from the craft list as a known spell. You can reactivate this power to replace the known spell. Non-spellcasters can use this to gain a cantrip if listed.
- Natures Fear (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16: As an action you can you can change your light radius to include it also causing fear in its radius. As a rection you can choose to end the fear effect.
- Natures Friend (Power SB 1 DC 16): Activated as a bonus action. You can cast Animal Friendship. Your able to spend extra power points to increase the level of the spell.
- Natures Speech (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activated during a short rest. Your speech is understood by any beasts who hears you. This does not grant you the ability to understand others.
Downtime Activities: can require 1 or more soul burn points to activate and maintain. You do not require you to have the manifestation active to use. Use of downtime abilities cannot be offset by magical items or artefacts.
Naturologist Apprentice Downtime
- Nature Grove (SB 1): You spend a week in a unclaimed grove of trees. You can connect to a grove of trees and make it your home. While resting there you are provided with food and water to sustain you without needing to hunt or gather.
- Nature Craft Specialisation (SB 1+): You gain a known or prepared spell from the list of spells in this craft for each level you can cast. If you know more than one craft you can only have this available for one. Repeat activations changes the these slots to the activating craft.
- Nature Familiar (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a familiar to be one with nature. This has the familiar providing food and water for your and itself after you complete a long rest. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the familiar class feature or follow one of the Elemental pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the familiar.
- Nature Companion (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a companion to be one with nature. This has the companion providing food and water for itself after you complete a long rest. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the companion class feature or follow one of the Elemental pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the companion.
- Nature Mount (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a mount to be one with nature. This has the mount providing food and water for itself after you complete a long rest. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the mount class feature or follow one of the Elemental pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the mount.
- Nature Scroll (SB 1+) You can spend a week scribing any spell from this secret crafts list onto a scroll, with the craft DC equal to 10 + spell level. Success causes SB equal to the spell level, which remains until the scroll is used. Unlike other scrolls, this scroll requires no check to activate and always succeeds at being cast. The soul burn spent on the scroll returns once the scroll is used.
Naturologist 2nd Circle (Journeyman)
Naturologist 3rd Circle (Adept)
Naturologist 4th Circle (Master)
Naturologist 5th Circle (Grand Master)
Secret Craft References
- Activation Costs: 1 SB point per circle for Manifestation, Enhancement, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Secret Craft Attempt = d20 + Prof + Abi mod + circle achieved.
- Craft Check: The craft check is a d20 plus your proficiency and the associated attribute modifier. This craft check must use the language associated with the craft as part of the check. You add your circle level to the roll with Initiates being +0. For every 5 points you exceed the target number you reduce the Soul Burn cost by 1. For every point you fail the roll by, you can choose to succeed by adding those point to the soul burn cost as long as it was not a critical failure.
- Base Critical Failure: A roll of a 1 on the craft check is a curse from your patron, and you suffer a mishap. The standard thing that happens is that you increase your soul burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it reduces your hit point maximum by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it causes hit point damage equal to the Crit Effect Modifier. Check each of the crafts for what additional effect happen during a mishap.
- Base Critical Success: A roll of a 20 on this check is a blessing from your patron, and you are granted a boon. The standard thing is that you reduce your Soul Burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it can restore damage to your maximum hit points by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it refreshes you repairing hit points equal to the Crit Effect Modifier . Check each of the crafts for what happens during a boon.
- Crit Effect Modifier: This is 1 + circle ability level + character level.
So a 8th level character using a 2nd circle ability would have a crit effect modifier of 11. A 4th level character with a 1st circle ability would have a modifier of 6. A 12th level character with s 3rd circle ability would have a modifier of 16. A 16th level character with a 4th circle ability would have a modifier of 21. A 20th level character with a 5th circle ability would have a modifier of 25.
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Ability mod + circle achieved.
- Manifestation – Lasts until the end of a long rest, you expend it, or you dismiss it as a free action. You can extend a craft manifestation for 1 soul burn after a long rest to last until your next long rest without the need for a craft check. Manifestations gives you access to Manifestation Aspects, Enhancements and Powers.
- Manifestation Aspect – Selected as the version of the manifestation used when you activate the Manifestation.
- Enhancement – Lasts as long as the manifestation is active.
- Power – Has a limited duration, but needs the manifestation active to use.
- SB – Soul Burn. Each point of Soul Burn is a reduction to your maximum hit points. If your Soul Burn ever reduces your hit point total to zero your character is destroyed based in the craft and sponsor. Soul Burn can be recovered via downtime or other methods all with GM approval.
- 2022-03-12 – Update of the 1st Circle abilities and powers to bring them more in line with the changes made to the initiate level and through trial in play over the last year.
- 2022-03-11 – Updated the Initiate level abilities and wording.
- 2021-10-14 – Updating the downtime aspects of this class.
Overview, Downtime: Secret Crafts, Spellcasters
Elemental Crafts: (6) Air, Darkness, Earth, Fire, Water – Combining Craft – Elements
Necromancy Crafts: (6) Blood, Devour, Grave, Reanimate, Shade – Combining Craft – Necro
Racial Crafts: (38) Alchem, Beast, Bureau, Celest, Chaos, Chrono, Craft, Crypt, Diplomat, Diviner, Dragon, Elven, Entertain, Fiend, Heal, Mech, Mental, Merch, Music, Nature, Portal, Preserve, Protect, Rad, Sail, Shape, Skald, Sky, Spirit, Spy, Star, Sumon, Tech, Void, Wagon, War, Weapon, Witch
D&D 5E in Mystara
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Game Management – Annotated Stat Block, Character Creation, Choosing a New Campaign, Gaming over Skype, GM’s Luck Roll, Tracking Experience
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
Library of Books
B5, d20 System, Pathfinder, SW
This site is currently undergoing migration to www.thedarkelf007.com website due to needing a different set of tools that I had available to me on here.
Basic Links: Who Am I?, Home, Game Tools, Game Session Videos, My Campaigns, My Library, Site Map, Subscription Information
Game Systems: Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder 1 & 2, Shadowrun, Star Wars. Other Game Systems
Site sponsored by the author AS Hamilton (my wife) with her books available on amazon kindle.