Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition
Mystara Secret Crafts of the Immortals
Wrath of the Immortals Campaign
A secret craft is a special set of abilities where you call upon a specific Immortals to aid you in a quest to their benefit. This is an expansion of the rules in the Secret Craft Overview (2019-12-22), using them cause Soul Burn, though where gaining renown once you have initiated also gains you a new spell to learn in your spellbook or ritualbook. Renown in needed for you to be able to progress to the next circle, also needing the character to have at least 4 character levels (rounded up) per circle they want to advance to. Downtime for Secret Crafts and Downtime for Spellcasters covers these various activities.
Elemental Crafts: (Genasi or Elemental)
- Elementologist (2020-03-22)
Necromancy Crafts: (Traladaran or Elemental)
- Chaosologist – Halfling (2020-02-09)
- Cryptologist – Norse (2020-01-26)
- Dragonologist – Dragon (2019-12-29)
- Elvenologist – Elves (2020-02-23)
- Mechologist – Dwarven and Gnomes (2020-03-08)
- Mentologist – Ethengarians and Makistani (2021-03-26)
- Sailologist – Water aspected characters (2021-03-28)
- Spiritologist – Atruaghin and Ethengarian (2020-01-19)
- Weaponologist – Thyatian Empire (2020-01-12)
- Portalologist – Linked to Mazikeen’s Staff
What is the Soul Burn drawback of the Secret Crafts?
Each use of the secret craft circle options will earn your Soul Burn points. This represents how much immortal energy you have channelled through your body damaging it.
Soul Burn is a limitation risk and is shared across all the crafts you have. If you take Soul Burn than you reduce your maximum hit points, and if you reduce this to zero you risk your characters body turning to ash and your spirit is consumed making you impossible to bring back.
You can spend downtime to reduce the amount of Soul Burn you have received, and this is not increase by the number of secret crafts you have learnt. Spells can’t restore soul burn damage to your maximum hit points.
You increase your Soul Burn by activating the special abilities, manifestations, powers or downtime activities of the Secret Craft and have a Skill Check to handle the use. A failure can have the character pay the price without the benefit, or even become penalise on a critical failure whereas a success activates the power normally, but a critical success can provide further aid.
Activation Costs: 1 point per circle for Manifestation, Enhancement, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Downtime – Craft Appeasement – At the end of a week, a character can make a Craft Check to appease their sponsoring god. For every point over the DC 15 check they can reduce their soul burn by 1 point. Each point costs 100 gp in offerings.
- Downtime – Sponsor Appeasement – A character must spend a week in a holy place to the immortal sponsor. For each week spent in contemplation, the character recovers 1 point of soul burn. There is no cost in addition to what the holy place may require of you, and no check needed to succeed at this task, only time.
Items Under Consideration
New Feats (UA#38)
- Animal Handler
- Quick Fingered
- Spells (UA#11)
- Conjure Barlgura
- Conjure Hezrou
- Conjure Lesser Demon
- Conjure Shadow Demon
- Conjure Vrock
- Dragonmarks (UA#1, #54)
New Spells: (UA#36)
- (C) Hand of Radiance
- (C) Infestation
- (C) Primal Savagery
- (C) Toll the Dead
- (C) Virtue
- (1st) Cause Fear
- (1st) Ceremony (R)
- (1st) Chaos Bolt
- (1st) Guiding Hand (R)
- (1st) Healing Elixir
- (1st) Puppet
- (1st) Sense Emotion
- (1st) Snare
- (1st) Sudden Awakening
- (1st) Unearthly Chorus
- (1st) Wild Cunning (R)
- (1st) Zephyr Strike
Extra Spells (UA#70)
- Acid Stream (1)
- Otherworldly Form (6)
- Spirit Shroud (3)
- Summon Aberrant Spirit (4)
- Summon Bestial Spirit (2)
- Summon Celestial Spirit (5)
- Summon Elemental Spirit (4)
- Summon Fey Spirit (3)
- Summon Fiendish Spirit (6)
- Summon Shadow Spirit (3)
- Summon Undead Spirit (3)
- 2021-08-11 – Made some changes to soul burn that it reduces maximum hit points instead of creating a new attribute to track. Though players still need to track how much is reduced by soul burn.
- 2021-03 – Added the crafts Mentologist, Sailologist
These secret crafts are at player request: (24) Alchemologist (tba), Bureauologist (tba), Celestologist (tba), Chronologist (tba), Craftologist (tba), Diplomatologist (tba), Divinologist (tba), Entertainologist (tba), Fiendologist (tba), Healologist (tba), Musicologist (tba), Naturologist (tba), Portologist (tba), Preservologist (tba), Protectologist (tba), Radologist (tba), Shapeologist (tba), Skaldologist (tba), Skyologist (tba), Spyologist (tba), Starologist (tba), Voidologist (tba), Wagonologist (tba), Witchologist (tba)
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.