Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara Secret Crafts
Craft of the Necromancers
aka Master of Necromancy, Master of Undeath, Avatar of Death
- List of Practitioners of the Craft
- Magical Items of the Secret Craft
- Ranks of the Secret Craft
- Content Updates
They are known as a Necrologist in the library of the Great School of Glantri. They started out (and can still be found) as the Masters of Necromancy of the Traladaran of Darokin, Glantri and Karameikos. This is an expansion of the Secret Crafts inspired by Gazetteer 3.
This secret craft was developed by those who have a deep connection with necromancy of all forms. These are abilities granted by the grace of the patrons of the necromancy. Their magic concentrates on dealing with the darkness and souls of the underworld.
This is related to the Necromantic Masteries:
- Bloodologist the Necromancer of Water and Entropy
- Devourologist the Necromancer of Earth and Entropy
- Graveologist the Necromancer of Fire and Entropy
- Reanimatologist the Necromancer of Air and Entropy
- Shadeologist the Necromancer of Darkness and Entropy
Source Material from GAZ3 (Principalities of Glantri), Necromancy – Beyond the Grave.
List of Practitioners of the Necrologoist
- Initiate –
- 1st Circle –
- 2nd Circle – Lord Laszlo Wutyla (Marikesen, Glantri), Lord Piotr-Grygory Timenko (Kutchevski, Glantri)
- 3rd Circle – Sir Boris Gorevitch-Woszlany (Glantri City), Lord Youri Ivanov (Palatinsk, Glantri)
- 4th Circle –
- 5th Circle – Prince Morphail Gorevitch-Woszlany (Igorov, Glantri)
Magical Items of the Necrologoist
Magical Items for Masters of Undead:
- Black Gauntlet
- Blade of the Banshee
- Bone Delvers Lantern
- Bloodied Onyx
- Cup of the Damned
- Mask of Death
- Ring of Bone
- Ring of Petty Vengeance
Ranks of the Necrologist Secret Craft
- Initiate (from 1st level)
- 1st Circle (from 4th level)
- 2nd Circle (from 8th level)
- 3rd Circle (from 12th level)
- 4th Circle (from 14th level)
- 5th Circle (from 20th level)
Necrologist – Initiate
To become an initiate, one must be part of either “The Great School of Magic” in Glantri City or in good standing with darkness aspect necromancers.
Secret Craft – Necrologist – Initiate
- Craft Bonus = Proficiency + Int + circle +2 (darkness aspect, traladaran)
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Int mod + circle achieved +2 (darkness aspect, traladaran).
- Bonus Language – Nithian
- Associated Sphere – All the spheres.
- Expanded Magic: Characters gain extra spells to their spell list from this secret craft. A prepared caster gains them as spells in their spellbook, a spontaneous caster can swap out the spells with their known spells during craft downtime.
- Artefacts of the Spheres (Any) You can make a craft check to use a artefact without expending the items power by paying for it with your own life force instead. This avoids the chance of a penalty being activated. You can also steal power from an artefact to heal your soul burn. If you are attuned to the artefact, you can use its power to activate your secret craft features without a chance of a penalty being activated. Genasi attuned racial magical items allow you to pinch their charges for the day using 1 charge to replace 1 soul burn, and for each level or rarity above common the magical item can replace an additional point.
Necrologist Additional Crit Effects
- Necrologist Additional Craft Mishap: In addition to the base critical failure effect, you take mishap from all the crafts your activating as if they were seperate checks.
- Necrologist Additional Craft Boon: In addition to the base critical success, take the boon from each of the crafts your activating as if they were seperate checks.
- Barbarian –
- Bard –
- Druid –
- Fighter –
- Monk –
- Paladin –
- Ranger –
- Rogue –
- Sorcerer –
- Warlock –
- Wizard –
Available Feats: tba.
Spell List – Secret Craft – Necrologist (Necro)
(Necromancy craft combining based spells)
1st Level Spells – Death’s Shadow (ea02-22), Wound (ea02-33),
2nd Level Spells –
3rd Level Spells – Shadow Horror (ea02-28), Shadow Mastery (ea02-29),
4th Level Spells –
5th Level Spells – Annihilation (ea02-21),
- 6th Level –
- 7th Level –
- 8th Level –
- 9th Level –
* Details to come. R – Ritual Spells.
Necrologist 1st Circle (Apprentice)
Secret Craft – Necrologist – 1st Circle
Secret Crafts – Manifestations (Replaces other active secret craft manifestation when activated) Each Manifestation uses a light colour based on the Sphere it is being drawn from Energy (red), Entropy (black), Matter (green), Thought (white), Time (Blue). Each manifestation lasts until the end of your next long rest, and you can spend 1 soul burn to keep it active until the next long rest without rolling or you dismiss it.
Necrologist Apprentice (Manifestation SB 1 DC 16): You can activate two of the necromantic crafts with complementing elements. You add your light auras from active elements as well as their effects.
- Black Earth Elementalist Aspect (Darkness and Earth) You must know both darkness and earth necromantic crafts at 1st circle to use this aspect. (see Followers of the Black Earth)
- Crushing Wave Elementalist Aspect (Darkness and Water) You must know both darkness and water necromantic crafts at 1st circle to use this aspect. (see Followers of the Crushing Wave)
- Eternal Flame Elementalist Aspect (Darkness and Fire) You must know both darkness and fire necromantic crafts at 1st circle to use this aspect. (see Followers of the Eternal Flame)
- Howling Hatred Elementalist Aspect (Darkness and Air) You must know both darkness and air necromantic crafts at 1st circle to use this aspect. (see Followers of the Howling Hatred)
Necrologist Apprentice Enhancements and Powers (Requires Necrologist Apprentice to be active)
- Necromantic Communication (Power SB 1 DC 16) You gain the abilities of each active manifestation associated with this power.
- Necromantic Components (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) Takes an action to activate. Once activated, you can use your prepared spirit to power your spells in place of material components, as long as it is worth less or equal to the value of the preparation.
- Necromantic Consumption (Power SB 1 DC 16) You gain the abilities of each active manifestation associated with this power.
- Necromantic Enhancement (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) You gain the abilities of each active manifestation associated with this enhancement.
- Necromantic Touch (Power SB 1 DC 16) You gain the abilities of each active manifestation associated with this power.
- Necromancy Specialisation (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) You gain the abilities of each active manifestation associated with this enhancement.
- Necromantic Undeath (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) You gain the abilities of each active manifestation associated with this enhancement.
- Extended Necromancy (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) You gain the abilities of each active manifestation associated with this enhancement.
- Death Resistance (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) You gain resistance to necromancy effects, and advantage to saving throws from necromantic spells or effects.
Downtime Activities: can require 1 or more soul burn points to activate and maintain. You do not require you to have the manifestation active to use. Use of downtime abilities cannot be offset by magical items or artefacts.
- Laboratory: A necromancer must create a laboratory to use their abilities in at the cost of 5,000 gp per circle they have obtained.
- Once they have a laboratory, they can build a field kit that costs 3,000 gp per circle and allows experiments but has twice the failure rate. This can be used ten times before it runs out of components. It costs 300 gp per use being refreshed, if it is exhausted, then it must be rebuilt from scratch. Using a field kit doubles the laboratory burn percentage.
- Experiments cost 1,000 gp of components, take d6 hours per circle of ability used and gain a 5% additional failure chance for each interruption.
- Finding components takes a week per 1,000 gp of items in Glantri City, or twice that in another capital, or three to four times depending on the country.
- They require a formula book (use a blank spellbook) to write down all the details of what they can create with their lab or field kits.
- Learn 2nd Necromancy Craft (SB 1) You can learn a second of the necromancy crafts. Two of those crafts cannot be opposing crafts. i.e. Water (Bloodologist) vs Fire (Graveologist), or Air (Reanimatologist) vs Earth (Devourologist).
- Duel Elemental Aspect (SB 1) You can spend a week to add a second elemental aspect based on the two necromancy crafts you know.
- Bind the Craft (SB 1) You can use the first circle bind aspect of all the necromantic crafts you know on a single subject.
- Necromantic Craft Specialisation (SB 1+): You gain a known or prepared spell from the list of spells in this craft for each level you can cast. If you know more than one craft you can only have this available for one. Repeat activations changes the these slots to the activating craft. Costs 1 point per level of the spell. This loss is permanent while you have access to these spells. Unlike regular spells, Cantrips cost 1 point per character level.
- Necromantic Familiar (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a familiar to take on necromantic traits of the combined crafts you have mastered. This gives the familiar the abilities of those crafts. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the familiar class feature or follow an traldaran pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the familiar.
- Necromantic Familiar (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a companion to take on necromantic traits of the combined crafts you have mastered. This gives the companion the abilities of those crafts. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the companion class feature or follow an traldaran pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the companion.
- Necromantic Mount (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a mount to take on necromantic traits of the combined crafts you have mastered. This gives the mount the abilities of those crafts. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the mount class feature or follow an traldaran pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the mount.
- Necromantic Scroll (SB 1+) You can spend a week scribing any spell from this secret crafts list onto a scroll, with the craft DC equal to 10 + spell level. Success causes SB equal to the spell level, which remains until the scroll is used. Unlike other scrolls, this scroll requires no check to activate and always succeeds at being cast. The soul burn spent on the scroll returns once the scroll is used.
2nd Circle (and beyond)
These will be expanded when a player unlocks more in the game.
- 2022-03-12 – Updated the Initiate level abilities and wording. Update of the 1st Circle abilities and powers to bring them more in line with the changes made to the initiate level and through trial in play over the last year
Overview, Downtime: Secret Crafts, Spellcasters
Elemental Crafts: (6) Air, Darkness, Earth, Fire, Water – Combining Craft – Elements
Necromancy Crafts: (6) Blood, Devour, Grave, Reanimate, Shade – Combining Craft – Necro
Racial Crafts: (38) Alchem, Beast, Bureau, Celest, Chaos, Chrono, Craft, Crypt, Diplomat, Diviner, Dragon, Elven, Entertain, Fiend, Heal, Mech, Mental, Merch, Music, Nature, Portal, Preserve, Protect, Rad, Sail, Shape, Skald, Sky, Spirit, Spy, Star, Sumon, Tech, Void, Wagon, War, Weapon, Witch
D&D 5E in Mystara
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Game Management – Annotated Stat Block, Character Creation, Choosing a New Campaign, Gaming over Skype, GM’s Luck Roll, Tracking Experience
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
Library of Books
B5, d20 System, Pathfinder, SW
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Basic Links: Who Am I?, Home, Game Tools, Game Session Videos, My Campaigns, My Library, Site Map, Subscription Information
Game Systems: Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder 1 & 2, Shadowrun, Star Wars. Other Game Systems
Site sponsored by the author AS Hamilton (my wife) with her books available on amazon kindle.