Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara Secret Crafts
Secret Craft of the Master of Air Travel
aka Sky Masters, Skyologist, Aerialist and Masters of Air Travel
This is the secret craft for those who use magic to take to the sky in vehicles.
- Activation Costs: 1 point per circle for Manifestation, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Source Material: This secret craft was built from material gained from various editions of the game. Source Material from
List of Skyologists
- Initiate –
- 1st Circle –
Skyologist Craft Locations
Characters in these locations can activate a secret craft without expending points on a success or failure, but still suffer the full effects of a critical failure. In some instances, a critical success enhancement has become permanent.
Good Magic Locations – Misthaven (Alfheim(6,7)),
Craft Magical Items – Skyologist
Ranks of the Skyologist
- Initiate (from 1st level)
- 1st Circle (from 6th level)
- 2nd Circle (from 11th level)
- 3rd Circle (from 16th level)
- 4th Circle (from 21st level)
- 5th Circle (from 26th level)
To become an initiate, one must find a connection to a god of the sky. Found in Alphatia (Air Genasi), and the Sky Gnomes
- Craft Bonus = Proficiency + Dex + circle +2 (Air aspected and Gnome characters)
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Dex mod + circle achieved +2 (Air aspected and Gnome characters).
- Bonus Language – Auran or Gnomish
- Associated Sphere – Usually a Immortal of the Sky or Dwarven and Gnome Pantheon, of Thought, or any Immortal who is a Patron of the Travel is valid.
- Expanded Magic: Characters gain extra spells to their spell list from this secret craft. A prepared caster gains them as spells in their spellbook, a spontaneous caster can swap out the spells with their known spells during craft downtime.
- Artefacts of Flight (Sky) You can make a craft check to use a artefact of Flight without expending the items power by paying for it with your own life force instead. This avoids the chance of a penalty being activated. You can also steal power from an artefact to heal your soul burn. If you are attuned to the artefact, you can use its power to activate your secret craft features without a chance of a penalty being activated. Flight attuned racial magical items allow you to pinch their charges for the day using 1 charge to replace 1 soul burn, and for each level or rarity above common the magical item can replace an additional point.
Skyologist Additional Crit Effects
- Skyologist Additional Craft Mishap: In addition to the base base critical failure effect you are wreathed in your spiritual energy which causes the irreducible damage (from the standard mishap) as a punishment from your mentor, this hit point damage also affects everyone in your manifestation. You are grounded if your fly speed (reduced by your aura) reduces to zero, or your slowed to that speed for the duration of the manifestation.
- Skyologist Additional Craft Boon: In addition to the base critical failure effect you are wreathed spiritual energy but feel invigorated by the effect (from the standard boon), this hit point healing also affects everyone in your manifestation. Your fly speed is increased by you aura.
Associated Options – This is the Association between secret crafts, patrons, Immortals and classes and other class options.
- Patrons of
- Nationality – Alphatian Empire – Alphatian Empire (3)
- Energy Immortals – Alphatia (Alphatian Empire), Mealiden (Adventure), Razud (Alphatian Empire), Saturnius (Adventure),
- Thought Immortals – Air Elemaster (Aerial Races, Air), Arnelee (Adventure), Eiryndul (Adventure), Ninfangle (Adventure), Nob Nar (Adventure), Odin (Air), Palartarken (Air), Sinbad (Adventure), Turmis (Adventure),
- Time Immortals – Simurgh (Aerial Races)
- Primary Pantheon/Immortals – Air (Air Elemaster, Odin, Palartarkan), Alphatian Empire (Air Elemaster, Alphatia, Odin, Palartarkan, Razud), Makai (Arnelee, Eiryndul, Mealiden, Ninfangle, Nob Nar, Saturnius, Sinbad, Turmis), Sky (Air Elemaster, Odin),
- Secondary Pantheon/Immortals – Alphatian Empire (Turmis), Atruaghin (Eiryndul, Ninfangle), Dragonkin (Mealiden), Dwarven and Gnome (Palartarkan, Sinbad), Elven (Alphatia, Eiryndul, Mealiden), Ethengarian (Ninfangle, Turmis), Forest (Air Elemaster, Eiryndul), Giantkin (Arnelee, Mealiden, Nob Nar), Halfling (Nob Nar, Odin, Razud), Hollow World (Alphatia), Makai (Palartarkan, Razud), Myoshima (Ninfangle, Palartarkan), Norse (Arnelee, Ninfangle, Odin), Ocean (Air Elemaster), Radiance (Air Elemaster, Palartarkan), Shadowlands (Air Elemaster), Thyatian Empire (Arnelee, Eiryndul, Mealiden, Ninfangle, Odin, Razud), Traladaran (Mealiden, Palartarkan, Sinbad), Ylari (Air Elemaster, Turmis),
- Councils – Ancient Ones (Air Elemaster, Odin), Assembly (Air Elemaster, Alphatia, Arnelee, Eiryndul, Mealiden, Ninfangle, Nob Nar, Odin, Palartarkan, Razud, Saturnius, Sinbad, Turmis), Celestials (Alphatia), Elemental Rules (Air Elemaster), Empyreal (Eiryndul, Mealiden, Saturnius), Energy (Alphatia, Mealiden, Razud, Saturnius), Eternal (Ninfangle, Sinbad), Hierarchs (Air Elemaster, Odin, Razud), Initiate (Nob Nar, Turmis), Temporals (Arnelee, Palartarkan), Thought (Air Elemaster, Arnelee, Eiryndul, Ninfangle, Nob Nar, Odin, Palartarkan, Sinbad, Turmis),
- Barbarian – Storm Herald – Sea (Air)
- Cleric – Air (Air), Tempest (Air), Travel (Adventure)
- Monk – Elements – Air (Air),
- Paladin – Thunder (Air),
- Sorcerer – Draconic Bloodline – Air (Air), Elemental Essence – Air (Air), Storm Sorcery (Air),
- Warlock – Genie Lord – Air (Air),
- Wizard – Elementalist – Air (Air),
1st Level Spells – Bomber’s Eye (pcc36), Cool Strength (pcc421), Deep Breath (mhh162), Expeditious Retreat (ph239), Floating Disk – R (ph282), Fog Cloud (ph244), Frostfire (bls62), Jump (ph255), Longstrider (ph257), Quick Breath (pcc40), Read Weather (pcc41), Shock Shield (pcc44), Waterproof (pcc49), Weather Eye (pcc49), Wind Compass (pcc424), Wind Tunnel (mhh203),
2nd Level Spells – Alter Self – R (ph212), Boarding Plank (bls24), Depth Warning (pcc38), False Gold (bls55), Forecast – R (bls61), Glide (bls64), Gust of Wind – R (ph248), Levitate – R (ph255), Misty Step (ph261), Skywrite – R (xge165), Spider Climb (ph278), Track Ship (pcc46), True Bearing (pcc47), Web (ph288),
3rd Level Spells – Aerial Pilot (bls11), Air Breathing – R (bls12), Air Bridge – R (bls12), Anchor (bls13), Detect Land (bls43), Far Strike (bls56), Fly (ph244), Gaseous Form (ph245), Phantom Steed – RO (ph266), Protection from Pressure (bls95), Slow (ph278), Upwards Thrust (mhh185), Weather Calming (bls127)
4th Level Spells – Air Walk (pcc34), Deflect Ram (bls42), Desail (bls42), Freedom of Movement (ph245), Hullshock (pcc39), Iron Rope (bls78), Phantom Rugging (pcc422), Stone Hull (pcc424), Transform Boulder to Pebble (bls118), Transform Pebble to Boulder (bls118), Veiled Vessel (pcc48)
5th Level Spells – Control Winds – R (xge152), Foggy Flying Carpet (bls60), Unseen Crew (pcc47)
- 6th Level – Aqueous Extraction (pcc35), Greater Veiled Vessel (pcc48), Ship of Fools (pcc423)
- 7th Level – Hovershp (bls72), Raise Island (bls97)
- 8th Level – Cloud Barge (pcc435)
- 9th Level – Interplanar Voyage (pcc40)
Skyologist 1st Circle (Apprentice)
Secret Crafts – Manifestations (Replaces other active secret craft manifestation when activated) Each Manifestation uses a light colour based on the Sphere it is being drawn from Energy (red), Entropy (black), Matter (green), Thought (white), Time (Blue). Each manifestation lasts until the end of your next long rest, and you can spend 1 soul burn to keep it active until the next long rest without rolling or you dismiss it.
Skyologist Apprentice (Manifestation SB 1 DC 16): When you activate this manifestation, you radiate an light aura 5ft radius. Any flight movement you, an ally or vehicle has within the manifestation is increased by the aura.
Skyologist Apprentice Enhancements and Powers (Requires Skyologist Apprentice to be active)
- TBA (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16):
- Sky Specialisation (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activate as part of a short rest. You can prepare one spell from the craft list as a known spell. You can reactivate this power to replace the known spell. Non-spellcasters can use this to gain a cantrip if listed. You can have active as many spells as circles you have achieved circles in the craft
- TBA (Power SB 1 DC 16):
Downtime Activities: can require 1 or more soul burn points to activate and maintain. You do not require you to have the manifestation active to use. Use of downtime abilities cannot be offset by magical items or artefacts.
- Sky Craft Specialisation (SB 1+): You gain a known or prepared spell from the list of spells in this craft for each level you can cast. If you know more than one craft you can only have this available for one. Repeat activations changes the these slots to the activating craft. Costs 1 point per level of the spell. This loss is permanent while you have access to these spells. Unlike regular spells, Cantrips cost 1 point per character level.
- Sky Familiar (SB 1+) You spend a week to training a familiar to be one with the sky. This provides tba. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the familiar class feature or follow the Sky or Dwarven and Gnome pantheon). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the familiar.
- Sky Companion (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a companion to be one with the sky. This provides tba. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the companion class feature or follow the Sky or Dwarven and Gnome pantheon). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the companion.
- Sky Mount (SB 1+) You spend a week to training a mount to be one with the sky. This provides tba. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the mount class feature or follow the Sky or Dwarven and Gnome pantheon). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the mount.
- Sky Scroll (SB 1+) You can spend a week scribing any spell from this secret crafts list onto a scroll, with the craft DC equal to 10 + spell level. Success causes SB equal to the spell level, which remains until the scroll is used. Unlike other scrolls, this scroll requires no check to activate and always succeeds at being cast. The soul burn spent on the scroll returns once the scroll is used.
Skyologist 2nd Circle (Journeyman)
Work in Progress
- Secret Crafts – Skyologist – 2nd Circle
Starologist 3rd Circle (Adept)
Work in Progress
- Secret Crafts – Skyologist – 3rd Circle
Skyologist 4th Circle (Master)
Work in Progress
- Secret Crafts – skyologist – 4th Circle
Skyologist 5th Circle (Grand Master)
Work in Progress
- Secret Crafts – Skyologist – 5th Circle
Secret Craft References
- Activation Costs: 1 SB point per circle for Manifestation, Enhancement, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Secret Craft Attempt = d20 + Prof + Abi mod + circle achieved.
- Craft Check: The craft check is a d20 plus your proficiency and the associated attribute modifier. This craft check must use the language associated with the craft as part of the check. You add your circle level to the roll with Initiates being +0. For every 5 points you exceed the target number you reduce the Soul Burn cost by 1. For every point you fail the roll by, you can choose to succeed by adding those point to the soul burn cost as long as it was not a critical failure.
- Base Critical Failure: A roll of a 1 on the craft check is a curse from your patron, and you suffer a mishap. The standard thing that happens is that you increase your soul burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it reduces your hit point maximum by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it causes hit point damage equal to the Crit Effect Modifier. Check each of the crafts for what additional effect happen during a mishap.
- Base Critical Success: A roll of a 20 on this check is a blessing from your patron, and you are granted a boon. The standard thing is that you reduce your Soul Burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it can restore damage to your maximum hit points by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it refreshes you repairing hit points equal to the Crit Effect Modifier . Check each of the crafts for what happens during a boon.
- Crit Effect Modifier: This is 1 + circle ability level + character level.
So a 8th level character using a 2nd circle ability would have a crit effect modifier of 11. A 4th level character with a 1st circle ability would have a modifier of 6. A 12th level character with s 3rd circle ability would have a modifier of 16. A 16th level character with a 4th circle ability would have a modifier of 21. A 20th level character with a 5th circle ability would have a modifier of 25.
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Ability mod + circle achieved.
- Manifestation – Lasts until the end of a long rest, you expend it, or you dismiss it as a free action. You can extend a craft manifestation for 1 soul burn after a long rest to last until your next long rest without the need for a craft check. Manifestations gives you access to Manifestation Aspects, Enhancements and Powers.
- Manifestation Aspect – Selected as the version of the manifestation used when you activate the Manifestation.
- Enhancement – Lasts as long as the manifestation is active.
- Power – Has a limited duration, but needs the manifestation active to use.
- SB – Soul Burn. Each point of Soul Burn is a reduction to your maximum hit points. If your Soul Burn ever reduces your hit point total to zero your character is destroyed based in the craft and sponsor. Soul Burn can be recovered via downtime or other methods all with GM approval.
Racial Crafts: (38) Alchem, Beast, Bureau, Celest, Chaos, Chrono, Craft, Crypt, Diplomat, Diviner, Dragon, Elven, Entertain, Fiend, Heal, Mech, Mental, Merch, Music, Nature, Portal, Preserve, Protect, Rad, Sail, Shape, Skald, Sky, Spirit, Spy, Star, Sumon, Tech, Void, Wagon, War, Weapon, Witch
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.