Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara Secret Crafts
Secret Craft of the Master of Alchemy
aka Potions Masters, Alchemologist, Alchemists and Masters of Alchemy
The Alchemists in Glantri’s are a secret craft from Gazetteer 3. This secret craft was created by the gnomes and adapted by the Alphatians before being brought into the Great School of Magic.
- Activation Costs: 1 point per circle for Manifestation, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Source Material: Source Material from GAZ3 (Principalities of Glantri), Ultimate Prestige Classes Vol 1 (Explosive Specialist)
List of Alchemologists
- Initiate –
- 1st Circle –
- 3rd Circle – Master Jakar Daron (Glantri), Herr Rolf Graustein (Blofeld, Glantri)
Alchemologist Craft Locations
Characters in these locations can activate a secret craft without expending points on a success or failure, but still suffer the full effects of a critical failure. In some instances, a critical success enhancement has become permanent.
Good Magic Locations – Shadowdown (Alfheim(-4,17)),
Craft Magical Items – Alchemologist
Ranks of the Alchemologist
- Initiate (from 1st level)
- 1st Circle (from 6th level)
- 2nd Circle (from 11th level)
- 3rd Circle (from 16th level)
- 4th Circle (from 21st level)
- 5th Circle (from 26th level)
To become an initiate, one must find a connection to a god of alchemy. Found in Alphatia (Genasi), Ierendi (Gnomes), Glantri (Great School of Magic), Karameikos (Gnomes), Rockhome (Gnomes), Ylaruam (Genasi)
- Craft Bonus = Proficiency + Int + circle +2 (Earth aspected and Dwarven or Gnome characters)
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Craft Bonus.
- Bonus Language – Dwarven or Gnomish
- Associated Sphere – Usually a Immortal of the Dwarven or Gnome Pantheon, of Matter, or any Immortal who is a Patron of Alchemy is valid.
- There are three different types of Alchemists:
- Alkahest – Alkahests focus on destructive mixtures, full of entropy and disruption. Typical products for the alkahest are poisons, corrosives, explosives, and flammables.
- Apothecary – Apothecaries focus on restorative mixtures. Typical products for an apothecary are healing potions, antidotes and antitoxins.
- Tincturers – Tincturers focus on transformative mixtures that cause change or malleability. Typical products for a Tincturer are things that change the user’s appearance or gives the user a quality they did not already have, such as resistance to fire.
- Expanded Magic: Characters gain extra spells to their spell list from this secret craft. A prepared caster gains them as spells in their spellbook, a spontaneous caster can swap out the spells with their known spells during craft downtime.
- Artefacts of Change (Alchemy) You can make a craft check to use a artefact of Change without expending the items power by paying for it with your own life force instead. This avoids the chance of a penalty being activated. You can also steal power from an artefact to heal your soul burn. If you are attuned to the artefact, you can use its power to activate your secret craft features without a chance of a penalty being activated. Alchemical causing attuned magical items allow you to pinch their charges for the day using 1 charge to replace 1 soul burn, and for each level or rarity above common the magical item can replace an additional point.
Alchemologist Additional Crit Effects
- Alchemologist Additional Craft Mishap: In addition to the base base critical failure effect you are wreathed in your spiritual energy which causes the irreducible damage (from the standard mishap) as a punishment from your mentor, this hit point damage also affects everyone in your manifestation. You are sickened for the duration of the manifestation.
- Alchemologist Additional Craft Boon: In addition to the base critical failure effect you are wreathed spiritual energy but feel invigorated by the effect (from the standard boon), this hit point healing also affects everyone in your manifestation. Your manifestation aura provides relief from toxins, allowing a saving throw with advantage each round, and no worsening of the condition.
Associated Options – This is the Association between secret crafts, patrons, Immortals and classes and other class options.
- Patrons of
- Energy – Magical – Alchemy (1)
- Time Immortals – Hymir (Alchemy)
- Primary Pantheon/Immortals – Dwarven and Gnome (Hymir), Myoshima (Hymir), Radiance (Hymir), Thyatian Empire (Hymir),
- Secondary Pantheon/Immortals – Giantkin (Hymir),
- Councils – Assembly (Hymir), Celestial (Hymir), Time (Hymir),
- Barbarian –
- Cleric – Beer (Alchemy),
- Monk – Drunken Master (xge33, Alchemy),
- Paladin –
- Sorcerer –
- Warlock –
- Wizard –
1st Level Spells – Bomber’s Eye (pcc36), Flame Water (bls59), Freeze Potion (mhh169), Mucilage (bls88), Protection from Oozes (bls95), Putrefy Food and Drink (bls95), Web Orb (bls127)
2nd Level Spells – Acid Arrow (ph260), Fresh Seal (bls62), Pernicious Poison (pcc40), Sandbody (bls101), Slur (bls108), Smothering Cloud (bls108)
3rd Level Spells – Explosive Cloud (bls55), Ooze Bolt (bls91), Stinking Cloud (ph279), Wine Fount (bls128), Yellow Smoke (bls130)
4th Level Spells – Hard Water Weapon (bls67), Silver Spear (bls106), Slimeball (bls107)
5th Level Spells – Cloudkill (ph223), Slime Bucket (bls107), Unyielding Durability (bls122), Vile Vintage (bls123)
- 6th Level – Ebon Water (bls50), Green Slime (bls66), Healing Draught (bls68), Transmute Gold to Steel (bls119), Transparent Steel (bls119)
- 7th Level – Liquid Fire (bls82)
- 8th Level – Godsblood (bls64)
- 9th Level – Storm of Vitriol (bls114), Water of Life (pcc424)
Alchemologist 1st Circle (Apprentice)
Secret Crafts – Alchemologist – 1st Circle
Secret Crafts – Manifestations (Replaces other active secret craft manifestation when activated) Each Manifestation uses a light colour based on the Sphere it is being drawn from Energy (red), Entropy (black), Matter (green), Thought (white), Time (Blue). Each manifestation lasts until the end of your next long rest, and you can spend 1 soul burn to keep it active until the next long rest without rolling or you dismiss it.
Alchemologist Apprentice (Manifestation SB 1 DC 16): When you activate this manifestation, you radiate an light 10ft radius. Alchemical damage in the area treats a damage dice roll of 1 as a 2. Alchemical effect durations increase by 1 round.
Alchemologist Apprentice Enhancements and Powers (Requires Alchemologist Apprentice to be active)
- TBA (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16):
- Alchemical Bomb (Power SB 1 DC 16): As a bonus action, craft an explosive dealing 1d6 damage and costing 50 gp of material components. It affects everything within 5ft of the target space. A Dexterity saving throw reduces the damage by half. You can ignore the SB cost if you use a charge from a field kit or have your full laboratory handy.
- Alchemical Identification (Power SB 1 DC 16): During a short rest, you can define all components in a non-magical substance as an experiment. Ideal for detecting and identifying poisons, vegetables, bones, etc. Takes a full lab to complete. This cannot be done with the field kit.
- Alchemical Preparation (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Once a substance has been researched and is in your formula book, it is known and can be crafted during a short rest. These crafted items only last while your manifestation is active, plus 1d4 days before spoiling. You can ignore the SB cost if you use a charge from a field kit or have your full laboratory handy.
- Alchemist Specialisation (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activate as part of a short rest. You can prepare one spell from the craft list as a known spell. You can reactivate this power to replace the known spell. Non-spellcasters can use this to gain a cantrip if listed. You can have active as many spells as circles you have achieved circles in the craft
- TBA (Power SB 1 DC 16):
Downtime Activities: can require 1 or more soul burn points to activate and maintain. You do not require you to have the manifestation active to use. Use of downtime abilities cannot be offset by magical items or artefacts.
Alchemologist Apprentice Downtime
- Alchemy Laboratory (gp cost) Alchemists must spend a week to create a laboratory to use their abilities in at the cost of 5,000 gp per circle they have obtained. To enhance it to work with additional circles, the difference only.
- Alchemy Field Kit (gp cost) Once they have a laboratory, they can build a field kit that costs 3,000 gp per circle and allows experiments but has twice the failure rate. This can be used ten times before it runs out of components. It costs 300 gp per use being refreshed, if it is exhausted, then it must be rebuilt from scratch. Using a field kit doubles the laboratory SB cost.
- Alchemy Experiment or Research (gp cost) Experiments cost 1,000 gp of components, take a week and must succeed a craft check for each interruption. Research non-magical powder, balm or liquid to produce a specific effect in the laboratory and add to formula book. This cannot be done with the field kit.
- Alchemy Components (gp cost) Finding components takes a week per 1,000 gp of items in Glantri City, or twice that in another capital, or three to four times depending on the country.
- Alchemy Formula Book (1 SB) They require a formula book (use a blank spellbook) to write down all the details of the items they can create with their lab or field kits.
- Alchemy Craft Specialisation (SB 1+): You gain a known or prepared spell from the list of spells in this craft for each level you can cast. If you know more than one craft you can only have this available for one. Repeat activations changes the these slots to the activating craft. Costs 1 point per level of the spell. This loss is permanent while you have access to these spells. Unlike regular spells, Cantrips cost 1 point per character level.
- Alchemy Familiar (SB 1+) You spend a week to training a familiar to be one with the star. This provides tba. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the familiar class feature or follow the Dwarven and Gnome pantheon). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the familiar.
- Alchemy Companion (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a companion to be one with the star. This provides tba. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the companion class feature or follow the Dwarven and Gnome pantheon). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the companion.
- Alchemy Mount (SB 1+) You spend a week to training a mount to be one with the star. This provides tba. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the mount class feature or follow the Dwarven and Gnome pantheon). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the mount.
- Alchemy Scroll (SB 1+) You can spend a week scribing any spell from this secret crafts list onto a scroll, with the craft DC equal to 10 + spell level. Success causes SB equal to the spell level, which remains until the scroll is used. Unlike other scrolls, this scroll requires no check to activate and always succeeds at being cast. The soul burn spent on the scroll returns once the scroll is used.
Alchemologist 2nd Circle (Journeyman)
Work in Progress
- Secret Crafts – Alchemologist – 2nd Circle
Alchemologist 3rd Circle (Adept)
Work in Progress
- Secret Crafts – Alchemologist – 3rd Circle
Alchemologist 4th Circle (Master)
Work in Progress
- Secret Crafts – Alchemologist – 4th Circle
Alchemologist 5th Circle (Grand Master)
Work in Progress
- Secret Crafts – Alchemologist – 5th Circle
Secret Craft References
- Activation Costs: 1 SB point per circle for Manifestation, Enhancement, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Secret Craft Attempt = d20 + Prof + Abi mod + circle achieved.
- Craft Check: The craft check is a d20 plus your proficiency and the associated attribute modifier. This craft check must use the language associated with the craft as part of the check. You add your circle level to the roll with Initiates being +0. For every 5 points you exceed the target number you reduce the Soul Burn cost by 1. For every point you fail the roll by, you can choose to succeed by adding those point to the soul burn cost as long as it was not a critical failure.
- Base Critical Failure: A roll of a 1 on the craft check is a curse from your patron, and you suffer a mishap. The standard thing that happens is that you increase your soul burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it reduces your hit point maximum by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it causes hit point damage equal to the Crit Effect Modifier. Check each of the crafts for what additional effect happen during a mishap.
- Base Critical Success: A roll of a 20 on this check is a blessing from your patron, and you are granted a boon. The standard thing is that you reduce your Soul Burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it can restore damage to your maximum hit points by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it refreshes you repairing hit points equal to the Crit Effect Modifier . Check each of the crafts for what happens during a boon.
- Crit Effect Modifier: This is 1 + circle ability level + character level.
So a 8th level character using a 2nd circle ability would have a crit effect modifier of 11. A 4th level character with a 1st circle ability would have a modifier of 6. A 12th level character with s 3rd circle ability would have a modifier of 16. A 16th level character with a 4th circle ability would have a modifier of 21. A 20th level character with a 5th circle ability would have a modifier of 25.
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Ability mod + circle achieved.
- Manifestation – Lasts until the end of a long rest, you expend it, or you dismiss it as a free action. You can extend a craft manifestation for 1 soul burn after a long rest to last until your next long rest without the need for a craft check. Manifestations gives you access to Manifestation Aspects, Enhancements and Powers.
- Manifestation Aspect – Selected as the version of the manifestation used when you activate the Manifestation.
- Enhancement – Lasts as long as the manifestation is active.
- Power – Has a limited duration, but needs the manifestation active to use.
- SB – Soul Burn. Each point of Soul Burn is a reduction to your maximum hit points. If your Soul Burn ever reduces your hit point total to zero your character is destroyed based in the craft and sponsor. Soul Burn can be recovered via downtime or other methods all with GM approval.
Racial Crafts: (38) Alchem, Beast, Bureau, Celest, Chaos, Chrono, Craft, Crypt, Diplomat, Diviner, Dragon, Elven, Entertain, Fiend, Heal, Mech, Mental, Merch, Music, Nature, Portal, Preserve, Protect, Rad, Sail, Shape, Skald, Sky, Spirit, Spy, Star, Sumon, Tech, Void, Wagon, War, Weapon, Witch
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.