Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara Secret Crafts
Secret Craft of the Master of Portals
aka Portal Masters, Portologist, and Masters of Portals
This is a rare craft.
- Activation Costs: 1 point per circle for Manifestation, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Source Material:
List of Portologists
- Initiate –
- 1st Circle –
Portologist Craft Locations
Characters in these locations can activate a secret craft without expending points on a success or failure, but still suffer the full effects of a critical failure. In some instances, a critical success enhancement has become permanent.
Good Magic Locations – Goblinpark (Alfheim(-4,11)), Misthaven (Alfheim(6,7)),
Craft Magical Items – Portologist
Ranks of the Portologist
- Initiate (from 1st level)
- 1st Circle (from 6th level)
- 2nd Circle (from 11th level)
- 3rd Circle (from 16th level)
- 4th Circle (from 21st level)
- 5th Circle (from 26th level)
To become an initiate, one must find a connection to a god of the stars.
Secret Craft – Portologist – Initiate
- Craft Bonus = Proficiency + Int + circle +2 (Dragon and Giant characters)
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Int mod + circle achieved +2 (Dragon and Giant characters).
- Bonus Language – Primordial
- Associated Sphere – Usually a Immortal of Dragon or Giant Pantheon, of Time, or any Immortal who is a Patron of Travel or Portals is valid.
- Expanded Magic: Characters gain extra spells to their spell list from this secret craft. A prepared caster gains them as spells in their spellbook, a spontaneous caster can swap out the spells with their known spells during craft downtime.
- Artefacts of the Light (Star) You can make a craft check to use a artefact of Light without expending the items power by paying for it with your own life force instead. This avoids the chance of a penalty being activated. You can also steal power from an artefact to heal your soul burn. If you are attuned to the artefact, you can use its power to activate your secret craft features without a chance of a penalty being activated. Light causing attuned racial magical items allow you to pinch their charges for the day using 1 charge to replace 1 soul burn, and for each level or rarity above common the magical item can replace an additional point.
Portologist Additional Crit Effects
- Portologist Additional Craft Mishap: In addition to the base base critical failure effect you are wreathed in your spiritual energy which causes the irreducible damage (from the standard mishap) as a punishment from your mentor, this hit point damage also affects everyone in your manifestation. You are are shuffled with other creatures (if any) to a point of disadvantage or danger within your manifestation aura.
- Starologist Additional Craft Boon: In addition to the base critical failure effect you are wreathed spiritual energy but feel invigorated by the effect (from the standard boon), this hit point healing also affects everyone in your manifestation. Your manifestation aura shuffles all creatures to your advantage moving their locations to your benefit.
- Barbarian –
- Bard –
- Cleric –
- Druid –
- Monk –
- Paladin –
- Rogue –
- Sorcerer –
- Warlock –
- Wizard –
1st Level Spells – Push (bls95)
3rd Level Spells – Blink (ph220), Dimensional Shove (mhh163), Glass House (bls64), Hunger of the Void (ph252), Locate Red Portal (mwb431), Maze Lesser (mhh182), Shadow Trove – R (mhh191), Thunder Step (xge168)
- 4th Level – Distance Distortion (bls45), Endless Abyss (bls52), Forest Home (bls61), Gallows Tree – R (bls63), Instant Fortification – R (mhh176), Instant Exit (bls76)
- 5th Level – Divine Beacon’s Answer (bls46), Earthen Snare (bls49), Far Step (xge158), Reset Red Portal (mwb433), Shadow Realm Gateway – R (mhh191), Steel Wind Strike (xge166)
- 6th Level – Merge into Art (bls86), One with the Earth (bls91), Scatter (xge164), Seal Red Portal (mwb433), Walk the Twisted Path (mhh201)
- 7th Level – Establish Foundation – R (bls55), Pocket Paradise (bls94), Raise Island (bls97)
- 8th Level – Dark Geyser (bls39), Mighty Fortress (xge161), Spirit Disk (bls112)
- 9th Level – Maze Greater (mhh182), Open Red Portal (mwb432), Tendrils of Night (bls116), Void Rift (mwb436)
Portologist 1st Circle (Apprentice)
Secret Crafts – Portologist – 1st Circle
Secret Crafts – Manifestations (Replaces other active secret craft manifestation when activated) Each Manifestation uses a light colour based on the Sphere it is being drawn from Energy (red), Entropy (black), Matter (green), Thought (white), Time (Blue). Each manifestation lasts until the end of your next long rest, and you can spend 1 soul burn to keep it active until the next long rest without rolling or you dismiss it.
Portologist Apprentice (Manifestation SB 1 DC 16): When you activate this manifestation, you radiate light 10ft radius as an aura. Any allies within the aura are considered to be touched or touching you for the purpose of teleportation or movement effects.
Portologist Apprentice Enhancements and Powers (Requires Starologist Apprentice to be active)
- TBA (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16):
- Portal Specialisation (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16): Activate as part of a short rest. You can prepare one spell from the craft list as a known spell. You can reactivate this power to replace the known spell. Non-spellcasters can use this to gain a cantrip if listed. You can have active as many spells as circles you have achieved circles in the craft
- TBA (Power SB 1 DC 16):
Downtime Activities: can require 1 or more soul burn points to activate and maintain. You do not require you to have the manifestation active to use. Use of downtime abilities cannot be offset by magical items or artifacts.
- Portal Craft Specialisation (SB 1+): You gain a known or prepared spell from the list of spells in this craft for each level you can cast. If you know more than one craft you can only have this available for one. Repeat activations changes the these slots to the activating craft. Costs 1 point per level of the spell. This loss is permanent while you have access to these spells. Unlike regular spells, Cantrips cost 1 point per character level.
- Portal Familiar (SB 1+) You spend a week to training a familiar to be one with portals. This provides tba. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the familiar class feature or follow the Elven pantheon). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the familiar.
- Portal Companion (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a companion to be one with portals. This provides tba. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the companion class feature or follow the Elven pantheon). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the companion.
- Portal Mount (SB 1+) You spend a week to training a mount to be one with portals. This provides tba. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the mount class feature or follow the Elven pantheon). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the mount.
- Portal Scroll (SB 1+) You can spend a week scribing any spell from this secret crafts list onto a scroll, with the craft DC equal to 10 + spell level. Success causes SB equal to the spell level, which remains until the scroll is used. Unlike other scrolls, this scroll requires no check to activate and always succeeds at being cast. The soul burn spent on the scroll returns once the scroll is used.
Portologist 2nd Circle (Journeyman)
Work in Progress
- Secret Crafts – Portologist – 2nd Circle
Portologist 3rd Circle (Adept)
Work in Progress
- Secret Crafts – Portrologist – 3rd Circle
Portologist 4th Circle (Master)
Work in Progress
- Secret Crafts – Portologist – 4th Circle
Portologist 5th Circle (Grand Master)
Work in Progress
- Secret Crafts – Portologist – 5th Circle
Secret Craft References
- Activation Costs: 1 SB point per circle for Manifestation, Enhancement, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
- Secret Craft Attempt = d20 + Prof + Abi mod + circle achieved.
- Craft Check: The craft check is a d20 plus your proficiency and the associated attribute modifier. This craft check must use the language associated with the craft as part of the check. You add your circle level to the roll with Initiates being +0. For every 5 points you exceed the target number you reduce the Soul Burn cost by 1. For every point you fail the roll by, you can choose to succeed by adding those point to the soul burn cost as long as it was not a critical failure.
- Base Critical Failure: A roll of a 1 on the craft check is a curse from your patron, and you suffer a mishap. The standard thing that happens is that you increase your soul burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it reduces your hit point maximum by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it causes hit point damage equal to the Crit Effect Modifier. Check each of the crafts for what additional effect happen during a mishap.
- Base Critical Success: A roll of a 20 on this check is a blessing from your patron, and you are granted a boon. The standard thing is that you reduce your Soul Burn by the Crit Effect Modifier, then it can restore damage to your maximum hit points by the Crit Effect Modifier, and lastly it refreshes you repairing hit points equal to the Crit Effect Modifier . Check each of the crafts for what happens during a boon.
- Crit Effect Modifier: This is 1 + circle ability level + character level.
So a 8th level character using a 2nd circle ability would have a crit effect modifier of 11. A 4th level character with a 1st circle ability would have a modifier of 6. A 12th level character with s 3rd circle ability would have a modifier of 16. A 16th level character with a 4th circle ability would have a modifier of 21. A 20th level character with a 5th circle ability would have a modifier of 25.
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Ability mod + circle achieved.
- Manifestation – Lasts until the end of a long rest, you expend it, or you dismiss it as a free action. You can extend a craft manifestation for 1 soul burn after a long rest to last until your next long rest without the need for a craft check. Manifestations gives you access to Manifestation Aspects, Enhancements and Powers.
- Manifestation Aspect – Selected as the version of the manifestation used when you activate the Manifestation.
- Enhancement – Lasts as long as the manifestation is active.
- Power – Has a limited duration, but needs the manifestation active to use.
- SB – Soul Burn. Each point of Soul Burn is a reduction to your maximum hit points. If your Soul Burn ever reduces your hit point total to zero your character is destroyed based in the craft and sponsor. Soul Burn can be recovered via downtime or other methods all with GM approval.
Racial Crafts: (37) Alchem, Beast, Bureau, Celest, Chaos, Chrono, Craft, Crypt, Diplomat, Diviner, Dragon, Elven, Entertain, Fiend, Heal, Mech, Mental, Music, Nature, Portal, Preserve, Protect, Rad, Sail, Shape, Skald, Sky, Spirit, Spy, Star, Sumon, Tech, Void, Wagon, War, Weapon, Witch
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.