Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara Secret Crafts
Secret Craft of the Soulreavers
aka Master of the Soul, Shadeologist, Soulreaver
They are known as a Shadeologist in the library of the Great School of Glantri. They started out (and can still be found) as the Master of the Soul or Soulreaver of the Traladaran of Darokin, Glantri and Karameikos. This is an expansion of the Secret Crafts inspired by Gazetteer 3.
This secret craft was developed by those who have a deep connection with necromancy and the element of darkness. These are abilities granted by the grace of the patrons of the necromancy. Their magic concentrates on dealing with the darkness and souls of the underworld.
Activation Costs: 1 point per circle for Manifestation, Power and Downtime Activity unless otherwise specified.
Source Material: This secret craft was built from material gained from various editions of the game. Principalities of Glantri (GAZ3), Deep Magic – Shadow Magic (DM10), Encyclopaedia Arcane – Necromancy (Beyond the Grave – MGP1005), Encyclopaedia Arcane – Drow Magic (Sorcery of Endless Night – MGP1025), Ultimate Prestige Classes (Penumbral Lord, Shadow Tiger).
List of Practitioners of the Shadeologists
- Initiate –
- 1st Circle –
Craft Magical Items – Shadeologist
Ranks of the Shadeologist Secret Craft
- Initiate (from 1st level)
- 1st Circle (from 6th level)
- 2nd Circle (from 11th level)
- 3rd Circle (from 16th level)
- 4th Circle (from 21st level)
- 5th Circle (from 26th level)
Shadeologist – Initiate
To become an initiate, one must be part of either “The Great School of Magic” in Glantri City, Cult of the Dark, or in good standing with darkness aspect necromancers.
Secret Craft – Shadeologist – Initiate
- Craft Bonus = Proficiency + Cha + circle +2 (dark aspected and Traladaran)
- Craft DC: The Base DC of a secret craft abilities is: Base Craft DC = 8 + Prof + Cha mod + circle achieved +2 (dark aspected and Traladaran).
- Starting Language – Undercommon
- Associated Sphere – Usually a Entropy Immortal, but any Immortal who is a Patron of the spirit is also valid.
- Expanded Magic: Characters gain extra spells to their spell list from this secret craft. A prepared caster gains them as spells in their spellbook, a spontaneous caster can swap out the spells with their known spells during craft downtime.
- Artefacts of Spirit (Entropy) You can make a craft check to use a artefact of the spirit without expending the items power by paying for it with your own life force instead. This avoids the chance of a penalty being activated. You can also steal power from an artefact to heal your soul burn. If you are attuned to the artefact, you can use its power to activate your secret craft features without a chance of a penalty being activated. Traladaran attuned racial magical items allow you to pinch their charges for the day using 1 charge to replace 1 soul burn, and for each level or rarity above common the magical item can replace an additional point.
Shadeologist Additional Crit Effects
- Shadeologist Additional Craft Mishap: In addition to the base critical failure, you take irreducible necrotic damage (from the standard mishap) as a punishment from your mentor, this also reduces your Charisma by 1.
- Shadeologist Additional Craft Boon: In addition to the base critical success, your muscles are wreathed in power and you gain a point of Charisma.
- Barbarian: Path of the Ancestors (mhh33), Path of the Totem Warrior (ph50)
- Bard: College of Whispers (xge16)
- Druid: Circle of the Land (shadowlands) (ph68), Circle of Shapeless and Primal Terror (fkcc6), Circle of the Stones (mhh67)
- Fighter – Ghost Knight (mhh36)
- Monk – Way of the Long Death (scag130), Way of Shadow (ph80)
- Paladin – Oath of the Giving Grave (mw403)
- Ranger: Gloom Stalker (xge41)
- Rogue: Assassin (ph97), Whisper (mhh46)
- Sorcerer: Shadow Bloodline (mhh72), Shadow Magic (xge50)
- Warlock: Pact of the Hexblade (xge55), Pact of the Light Eater (mhh75)
- Wizard: School of Void Magic (mw405)
Available Feats: tba.
Spell List – Secret Craft – Shadeologist (Shade)
(Fear, Spirit and Shadow based spells)
Cantrip – Claws of Darkness (mhh157), Douse Light (mhh163), Mage Hand (ph257), Shiver (mwb434)
1st Level Spells – Armour of the Void (ph216), Black Ribbons (mhh151), Cloak of Shadow (mhh158), Memento Mori (mwb432), Protection from the Void (mwb432), Shadow Armour (mhh190), Wrathful Smite (ph290),
2nd Level Spells – Dark Path (mhh162), Darkbolt (mhh162), Darkness (ph230), Doom of Consuming Fire (mwb425), Ghostly Howl (bls63), Ghostly Throttle (bls63), Invisibility (ph255), Maddening Whispers (mwb431), Negative Image (mhh184), Shadow Puppets (mhh191)
3rd Level Spells – Call Shadow Mastiff (mhh155), Conjure Undead (mwb423), Doom of Caelmarath (mwb425), Doom of Disenchantment (mwb426), Fear (ph240), Legion (mhh178), Shadow Horror (ea02-28), Shadow Mastery (ea02-29), Spirit Guardians (ph279), St. Blusen’s Reaver Spirit (mwb434), Umbral Touch (bls120), Void Strike (mwb436)
4th Level Spells – Doom of the Earthen Maw (mwb426), Greater Invisibility (see Invisibility), Guardian of Faith (ph248), Hirvsth’s Call (mwb429), Lovesick (mwb431), Nether Weapon (mwb432), Phantasmal Killer (ph266), Shadow Barbs (fkcc22), Shadow of Moil (xge164), Shadow Monsters (mhh191), Shadowbind (bls104), Siphon Elemental Lifeforce (ea08), Siphon Elemental Lifeforce (ea08), St. Parvalas’s Risen Road (mwb434), Visage of Madness (mwb435)
5th Level Spells – Annihilation (ea02-21), Creation – RO (ph230), Essence Instability (mwb427), Kiss of the Succubus (mwb430), Living Shadows (mwb430), Shadow Realm Gateway – R (mhh191), Soul Shatter (bls110), Umbral Weapon (bls120), Wail of Fate (bls124)
- 6th Level – Become Nightwing (mhh150), Negative Energy Mantle (bls90), Shade Swarm (bls104), Soul Cage (xge165), Umbral Transformation (bls120)
- 7th Level – Conjure Shadow Titan (mhh159), Ebon Lightning (bls50), Obliterate Soul (bls90)
- 8th Level – Dark Geyser (bls39), Death Bringer (bls40), Illusory Dragon (xge157), Malevolent Waves (mhh181)
- 9th Level – Annihilate Soul (bls13), Umbral Storm (mhh200), Void Rift (mwb436)
* Details to come. R – Ritual Spells.
Source: mhh, ph
Shadeologist 1st Circle (Apprentice)
Secret Craft – Shadeologist – 1st Circle
Secret Crafts – Manifestations (Replaces other active secret craft manifestation when activated) Each Manifestation uses a light colour based on the Sphere it is being drawn from Energy (red), Entropy (black), Matter (green), Thought (white), Time (Blue). Each manifestation lasts until the end of your next long rest, and you can spend 1 soul burn to keep it active until the next long rest without rolling or you dismiss it.
Shadeologist Apprentice (Manifestation) When you activate this manifestation, you dim light within a 5 ft radius. In the dim light you extend, you can use any point of it as a source to see or listen from.
Shadeologist Apprentice Enhancements and Powers (Requires Shadelogist Apprentice to be active)
- Necromantic Communication – Spirit (Power SB 1 DC 16) As an action, by smelling and tasting the spirit of a body that died in the encounter, the crafter can speak with the dead as per the spell, but the body does not need to be whole or able to answer in return as it all appears in the crafters mind. Can only be done once per body.
- Necromantic Components – Spirit (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) Takes an action to activate. Once activated, you can use your prepared spirit to power your spells in place of material components, as long as it is worth less or equal to the value of the preparation.
- Necromantic Consumption – Spirit (Power SB 1 DC 16) As an action, you can eat the spirit of a fallen foe and recover 1d8 hit points equal to its hit dice. You can do this once per fallen foe. Your prepared spirit can also be used to heal 1d8 hp per 10 gp of value you consume.
- Necromantic Enhancement – Flesh (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) Once activated with an action, you can treat your unarmed attack as a force weapon while your manifestation is active. You also gain resistance to force damage. Your unable to subdue with this style, and a successful critical hit also causes the target to be frightened for a round.
- Necromantic Touch – Spirit (Power SB 1 DC 16) You can make a melee attack against undead creature and cause it to make a Wisdom saving throw or loose wisdom points equal to half your level and take 3d6 psychic damage. On a successful save they don’t loose wisdom. On a failed save an additional effect of one of the targets is paralysed until they make a saving throw. If you exceed their current hit points, they are considered to have failed all three death saves.
- Necromancy Specialisation (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) Activate as part of a short rest and stays active if your manifestation is active. You can prepare one spell from the craft list as a known spell. You can reactivate this power to replace the known spell. Non-spellcasters can use this to gain a cantrip if listed.
- Necromantic Undeath – With the Night (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) As an action, once per region you can “Speak with Dead” spell except the caster can only speak with the spirits of those who have died in the area without needing a body. As a bonus action, you can move within your manifestation radius without provoking an attack of opportunity, and without being noticed. as an action you can also turn into a house cat made from shadow. It takes an action to switch forms during this time.
- Extended Necromancy Illusion (Enhancement SB 1 DC 16) When casting an Illusion spell, you can instead infuse it with the power of darkness. This increases any DC’s of the spells by 2.
Downtime Activities: can require 1 or more soul burn points to activate and maintain. You do not require you to have the manifestation active to use. Use of downtime abilities cannot be offset by magical items or artefacts.
- Laboratory: A necromancer must create a laboratory to use their abilities in at the cost of 5,000 gp per circle they have obtained.
- Once they have a laboratory, they can build a field kit that costs 3,000 gp per circle and allows experiments but has twice the failure rate. This can be used ten times before it runs out of components. It costs 300 gp per use being refreshed, if it is exhausted, then it must be rebuilt from scratch. Using a field kit doubles the laboratory burn percentage.
- Experiments cost 1,000 gp of components, take d6 hours per circle of ability used and gain a 5% additional failure chance for each interruption.
- Finding components takes a week per 1,000 gp of items in Glantri City, or twice that in another capital, or three to four times depending on the country.
- They require a formula book (use a blank spellbook) to write down all the details of what they can create with their lab or field kits.
- Prepare Material Spirit (SB 1+) You can spend a week to sacrifice all the hit dice of flesh of a living creature, ending its life. For every hit dice sacrificed this way, you can gain enough material to replace 10 gp worth of material items for a spell. Each HD used in this fashion also causes 1 point of Soul Burn. You cannot regain the soul burn while this has not been expended, but may add to its capacity with downtime.
- Bind the Soul – Common (SB 1) As a downtime activity taking a week, you can transfer the soul of a creature into a common magical item. If they die, they can be resurrected from the magical item, or their soul used for other purposes in this craft. While their soul is bound, they have resistance to psychic damage and can be communicated with through the item as long as they are both on the material plane.
- Ghost Familiar (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a familiar to become ethereal for a short time. This gives the familiar once per short rest to become ethereal for 1 minutes per level. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the familiar class feature or follow the Traladaran pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the familiar.
- Ghost Companion (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a companion to become ethereal for a short time. This gives the companion once per short rest to become ethereal for 1 minutes per level. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the companion class feature or follow the Traladaran pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the companion.
- Mount Companion (SB 1+): You spend a week to training a mount to become ethereal for a short time. This gives the mount once per short rest to become ethereal for 1 minutes per level. This will cost you 1 soul burn per character level (or 1 point if you have the mount class feature or follow the Traladaran pantheons). You cannot recover the soul burn while you retain the mount.
- Necromantic Craft Specialisation (SB 1+): You gain a known or prepared spell from the list of spells in this craft for each level you can cast. If you know more than one craft you can only have this available for one. Repeat activations changes the these slots to the activating craft. Costs 1 point per level of the spell. This loss is permanent while you have access to these spells. Unlike regular spells, Cantrips cost 1 point per character level.
2nd Circle (and beyond)
These will be expanded when a player unlocks more in the game.
- 2022-03-12 – Updated the Initiate level abilities and wording. Update of the 1st Circle abilities and powers to bring them more in line with the changes made to the initiate level and through trial in play over the last year
- 2021-08-05 – Updated the downtime details.
- 2021-07-21 – Added in section on Magical Items.
Overview, Downtime: Secret Crafts, Spellcasters
Elemental Crafts: (6) Air, Darkness, Earth, Fire, Water – Combining Craft – Elements
Necromancy Crafts: (6) Blood, Devour, Grave, Reanimate, Shade – Combining Craft – Necro
Racial Crafts: (38) Alchem, Beast, Bureau, Celest, Chaos, Chrono, Craft, Crypt, Diplomat, Diviner, Dragon, Elven, Entertain, Fiend, Heal, Mech, Mental, Merch, Music, Nature, Portal, Preserve, Protect, Rad, Sail, Shape, Skald, Sky, Spirit, Spy, Star, Sumon, Tech, Void, Wagon, War, Weapon, Witch
D&D 5E in Mystara
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Game Management – Annotated Stat Block, Character Creation, Choosing a New Campaign, Gaming over Skype, GM’s Luck Roll, Tracking Experience
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
Library of Books
B5, d20 System, Pathfinder, SW
This site is currently undergoing migration to www.thedarkelf007.com website due to needing a different set of tools that I had available to me on here.
Basic Links: Who Am I?, Home, Game Tools, Game Session Videos, My Campaigns, My Library, Site Map, Subscription Information
Game Systems: Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder 1 & 2, Shadowrun, Star Wars. Other Game Systems
Site sponsored by the author AS Hamilton (my wife) with her books available on amazon kindle.