Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Magical Item – Candle of Evocation – Matter
Base Item – Candle of Invocation – Matter
Very Rare Item Value
Price: (1d4+1) x10,000 gp (20,000 to 50,000 gp) – 50% for consumable items
Base Price: 30,000 gp or 15,000 gp for expendable
Expendable Items can be attuned on use, at the cost of a random attuned item and slot.
Cursed Items auto attune on use and replace a random attuned item and slot.
Magical Items – C – Common, U – Uncommon, R – Rare, VR – Very Rare, L – Legendary, A – Artefact, Cu – Cursed
- Magical Item – Very Rare – Candle of Invocation – Matter – 15,000 gp
- Standard: This slender taper is dedicated to a deity and shares that deity’s sphere and element. The candle’s element can be detected with the detect evil and good spell.
- The candle’s magic is activated when the candle is lit, which requires an action. After burning for 4 hours, the candle is destroyed. You can snuff it out early for use at a later time. Deduct the time it burned in increments of 1 minute from the candle’s total burn time.
- While lit, the candle sheds dim light in a 30-foot radius. Any creature within that light whose type matches that of the candle makes attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks with advantage.
- In addition, a cleric or druid in the light whose element or an associated secret craft matches the candle’s can cast 1st-level spells he or she has prepared without expending spell slots, though the spell’s effect is as if cast with a 1st-level slot.
- A candle of matter is effective with Beasts, Oozes, Plants and Earth based or aspected creatures.
- Attunement: While the candle is lit, any secret crafts you use connected with the associated sphere have their soul burn drain reduced by 1.
- Ritually casting Abjuration and Conjuration spells have advantage, and casting these school within the light have the DC’s increased by 2 when not cast as rituals.
- Prepared 1st level spells from a linked Secret Craft can be cast without expanding a spell slot, and casts as if using a 1st-level slot.
- Alternatively, when you light the candle for the first time, you can cast the gate spell with it. Doing so destroys the candle.
- Relic: A genasi who uses this item can on first lighting it destroy the item to take on the aspects of earth on top of any existing elemental aspect they have. A earth genasi can reduce the use of secret crafts associated with other spheres as if they came from the sphere of earth.
Example Campaign Items – Candle of Invocation – Matter
Original Item – Candle of Invocation
Source: Dungeon Masters Guide (dmg157)
CANDLE OF INVOCATION
Wondrous item, very rare (requires attunement)
This slender taper is dedicated to a deity and shares that deity’s alignment. The candle’s alignment can be detected with the detect evil and good spell. The DM chooses the god and associated alignment or determines the alignment randomly.
- d20 Alignment
- 1-2 Chaotic evil
- 3-4 Chaotic neutral
- 5-7 Chaotic good
- 8-9 Neutral evil
- 10-11 Neutral
- 12-13 Neutral good
- 14- 15 Lawful evil
- 16-17 Lawful neutral
- 18-20 Lawful good
The candle’s magic is activated when the candle is lit, which requires an action. After burning for 4 hours, the candle is destroyed. You can snuff it out early for use at a later time. Deduct the time it burned in increments of 1 minute from the candle’s total burn time.
While lit, the candle sheds dim light in a 30-foot radius. Any creature within that light whose alignment matches that of the candle makes attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks with advantage. In addition, a cleric or druid in the light whose alignment matches the candle’s can cast 1st-level spells he or she has prepared without expending spell slots, though the spell’s effect is as if cast with a 1st-level slot.
Alternatively, when you light the candle for the first time, you can cast the gate spell with it. Doing so destroys the candle.
Tuesday Items: T001, T002, T003, T004, T005, T006, T007, T008, T009, T010, T011, T012, T013, T014, T015, T016, T017, T018, T019, T020, T021, T022, T023, T024, T025, T026, T027, T028, T029, T030, T031, T032, T033, T034, T035, T036, T037, T038, T039, T040, T041, T042, T043, T044, T045, T046, T047, T048, T049, T050, T051, T052, T054, T055, T056, T057, T058, T059, T060, T061, T062, T063, T064, T065, T066, T067, T068, T069, T070, T071, T072, T073, T074, T075
Wednesday Items: W001, W002, W003, W004, W005, W006, W007, W008, W009, W010, W011, W012, W013, W014, W015, W016, W017, W018, W019, W020, W021, W023, W024, W027, W028, W029, W030, W031, W032, W033, W034, W035, W038, W039, W040, W041, W042, W043, W044, W045, W047, W048, W049, W050, W051, W052, W054, W055, W056, W058, W059, W061, W062, W063, W064, W065
Friday Items: F002, F005, F006, F007, F008, F009, F010, F012, F014, F016, F019, F025, F026, F027, F028, F029, F030, F031, F032, F033, F034, F035, F036, F037, F038, F039, F040, F041, F042, F043, F044, F047, F048, F049, F050, F051, F052, F054, F055
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.