Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Magical Item – Candle of Evocation – Thought
- Type: Wondrous Item
- Rarity: Very Rare, Genasi (Air) Relic
- Original Source: Dungeon Masters Guide (dmg157)
- Base Item
- Campaign Examples
- Original Item
- Content Updates
Base Item – Candle of Invocation – Thought
Very Rare Item Value
Price: (1d4+1) x10,000 gp (20,000 to 50,000 gp) – 50% for consumable items
Base Price: 30,000 gp or 15,000 gp for expendable
Expendable Items can be attuned on use, at the cost of a random attuned item and slot.
Cursed Items auto attune on use and replace a random attuned item and slot.
C – Common, U – Uncommon, R – Rare, VR – Very Rare, L – Legendary, A – Artefact, Cu – Cursed
Racial Items Link
Dragonkind, Dwarven, Elven, Genasi, Giant, Gnome, Halfling, Human
- Magical Item – Very Rare – Candle of Invocation – Thought – 15,000 gp
- Standard: This slender taper is dedicated to a deity and shares that deity’s sphere and element. The candle’s element can be detected with the detect evil and good spell.
- The candle’s magic is activated when the candle is lit, which requires an action. After burning for 4 hours, the candle is destroyed. You can snuff it out early for use at a later time. Deduct the time it burned in increments of 1 minute from the candle’s total burn time.
- While lit, the candle sheds dim light in a 30-foot radius. Any creature within that light whose type matches that of the candle makes attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks with advantage.
- In addition, a cleric or druid in the light whose element or an associated secret craft matches the candle’s can cast 1st-level spells he or she has prepared without expending spell slots, though the spell’s effect is as if cast with a 1st-level slot.
- A candle of thought is effective with Humanoids, Giants and Air based or aspected creatures.
- Attunement: While the candle is lit, any secret crafts you use connected with the associated sphere have their soul burn drain reduced by 1.
- Ritually casting Divination and Enchantment spells have advantage, and casting these school within the light have the DC’s increased by 2 when not cast as rituals.
- Prepared 1st level spells from a linked Secret Craft can be cast without expanding a spell slot, and casts as if using a 1st-level slot.
- Alternatively, when you light the candle for the first time, you can cast the gate spell with it. Doing so destroys the candle.
- Relic: A genasi who uses this item can on first lighting it destroy the item to take on the aspects of air on top of any existing elemental aspect they have. A air genasi can reduce the use of secret crafts associated with other spheres as if they came from the sphere of thought.
Example Campaign Items – Candle of Invocation – Energy
Original Item – Candle of Invocation
Source: Dungeon Masters Guide (dmg157)
CANDLE OF INVOCATION
Wondrous item, very rare (requires attunement)
This slender taper is dedicated to a deity and shares that deity’s alignment. The candle’s alignment can be detected with the detect evil and good spell. The DM chooses the god and associated alignment or determines the alignment randomly.
- d20 Alignment
- 1-2 Chaotic evil
- 3-4 Chaotic neutral
- 5-7 Chaotic good
- 8-9 Neutral evil
- 10-11 Neutral
- 12-13 Neutral good
- 14- 15 Lawful evil
- 16-17 Lawful neutral
- 18-20 Lawful good
The candle’s magic is activated when the candle is lit, which requires an action. After burning for 4 hours, the candle is destroyed. You can snuff it out early for use at a later time. Deduct the time it burned in increments of 1 minute from the candle’s total burn time.
While lit, the candle sheds dim light in a 30-foot radius. Any creature within that light whose alignment matches that of the candle makes attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks with advantage. In addition, a cleric or druid in the light whose alignment matches the candle’s can cast 1st-level spells he or she has prepared without expending spell slots, though the spell’s effect is as if cast with a 1st-level slot.
Alternatively, when you light the candle for the first time, you can cast the gate spell with it. Doing so destroys the candle.
Magical Items in Mystara Overview, Campaign Items, Creating Unique Items
Downtime Buying and Selling Items or Crafting Items
Types: Armour, Blessings, Books, Charm, Epic Boons, Marks of Prestige, Potion, Ring, Rod, Rune, Scroll, Staff, Wand Overview, Weapon, Wondrous Items
Relics of: Dragonkind, Dwarves, Elven, Genasi, Giantkind, Gnome, Halfling, Human
Tuesday Items: T001, T002, T003, T004, T005, T006, T007, T008, T009, T010, T011, T012, T013, T014, T015, T016, T017, T018, T019, T020, T021, T022, T023, T024, T025, T026, T027, T028, T029, T030, T031, T032, T033, T034, T035, T036, T037, T038, T039, T040, T041, T042, T043, T044, T045, T046, T047, T048, T049, T050, T051, T052, T054, T055, T056, T057, T058, T059, T060, T061, T062, T063, T064, T065, T066, T067, T068, T069, T070, T071, T072, T073, T074, T075
Wednesday Items: W001, W002, W003, W004, W005, W006, W007, W008, W009, W010, W011, W012, W013, W014, W015, W016, W017, W018, W019, W020, W021, W023, W024, W027, W028, W029, W030, W031, W032, W033, W034, W035, W038, W039, W040, W041, W042, W043, W044, W045, W047, W048, W049, W050, W051, W052, W054, W055, W056, W058, W059, W061, W062, W063, W064, W065
Friday Items: F002, F005, F006, F007, F008, F009, F010, F012, F014, F016, F019, F025, F026, F027, F028, F029, F030, F031, F032, F033, F034, F035, F036, F037, F038, F039, F040, F041, F042, F043, F044, F047, F048, F049, F050, F051, F052, F054, F055
D&D 5E in Mystara
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Game Management – Annotated Stat Block, Character Creation, Choosing a New Campaign, Gaming over Skype, GM’s Luck Roll, Tracking Experience
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
Library of Books
B5, d20 System, Pathfinder, SW
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Basic Links: Who Am I?, Home, Game Tools, Game Session Videos, My Campaigns, My Library, Site Map, Subscription Information
Game Systems: Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder 1 & 2, Shadowrun, Star Wars. Other Game Systems
Site sponsored by the author AS Hamilton (my wife) with her books available on amazon kindle.