Pathfinder 2 – Reference
Rules – Summoning
Source: PF2 Core Rulebook (pf2-cr)
Here is a rules review on summoning for use in Pathfinder 2.
Overview of the Rule Reference on Summoning
- Call of the Wild (pf2-cr-134) – Druid Feat
- (2nd) Call of the Wild (pf2-cr-134) – Druid Feat
- (12th) Primal Summons (pf2-cr-138) – Druid Feat
- Call of the Wild – Replace a prepared spell with Summon Animal or Summon Plants and Fungi.
- Primal Summons – Give summon allies elemental power of air, earth, fire or water. Gain the primal summons focus 6 spell.
- (4th) Primal Evolution (pf2-cr-199) Sorcerer Feat
- Arcane School – Conjuration (pf2-cr-207) – Wizard Ability
Traits of Summoning
- Minion: Minions are creatures that directly serve another creature. A creature with this trait can use only 2 actions per turn and can’t use reactions. Your minion acts on your turn in combat, once per turn, when you spend an action to issue it commands.
- For an animal companion, you Command an Animal;
- for a minion that’s a spell or magic item effect, like a summoned minion, you Sustain a Spell or Sustain an Activation;
- if not otherwise specified, you issue a verbal command, a single action with the auditory and concentrate traits.
- If given no commands, minions use no actions except to defend themselves or to escape obvious harm. If left unattended for long enough, typically 1 minute, mindless minions usually don’t act, animals follow their instincts, and sapient minions act how they please.
- Summoned – A creature called by a conjuration spell or effect gains the summoned trait. A summoned creature can’t summon other creatures, create things of value, or cast spells that require a cost. It has the minion trait. If it tries to cast a spell of equal or higher level than the spell that summoned it, the spell fails and the summon spell ends. Otherwise, it uses the standard abilities for a creature of its kind. It generally attacks your enemies to the best of its abilities.
- If you can communicate with it, you can attempt to command it, but the GM determines the degree to which it follows your commands.
- Immediately when you finish Casting the Spell, the summoned creature uses its 2 actions for that turn.
- Summoned creatures can be banished by various spells and effects. They are automatically banished if reduced to 0 Hit Points or if the spell that called them ends.
Spells of Summoning
- (1st) Summon Animal (pf2-cr-375)
- (5th) Summon Celestial (pf2-cr-375)
- (1st) Summon Construct (pf2-cr-375)
- (5th) Summon Dragon (pf2-cr-375)
- (2nd) Summon Elemental (pf2-cr-375)
- (5th) Summon Entity (pf2-cr-375)
- (1st) Summon Fey (pf2-cr-375)
- (5th) Summon Fiend (pf2-cr-375)
- (5th) Summon Giant (pf2-cr-375)
- (1st) Summon Plant of Fungus (pf2-cr-375)
- (F1) Augment Summoning (pf2-cr-406)
Rules as Written:
- Bestiary and Monster Stats – Are a GM resource and should not be accessed by Players at the game table. This stops them accessing content relating to challenges they are facing.
Rules as Written:
- Bestiary and Monster Stats – If its in the game you can summon it no matter where or when it was written, or if you have or have not seen it, read about it or encountered it.
- Then imagine the sheer number of beings this gives you access to and the game breaks down as players start to go through ALL the things they can summon, devouring every new release before the games master so they have a new beasty they can bring in next session.
- Bestiary and Monster Stats – With agreement from the Games Master, you can have stat blocks from “selected” creatures you have researched, encountered or studied after combat.
- Summoning creatures from the bestiary should not be a given, but an earned right, just like an open spell list issue addressed with Cleric, Paladins and Druids opening up the Summoning list to no more than two free additions to a characters list of summonable creatures.
- When learning a new summoning spell, you learn two creatures you can summon off that list.
- Downtime of a day per CR of the creature in research to learn how to summon new creatures for a spell you already know.
- Players need to request an annotated stat blocks for each of the summoned creatures they wish to use, unless it was learnt in the session it was gained. They will be added to a online resource so it will be available to all games.
- Characters can teach other characters how to summon specific animals in half the usual downtime.
Summoning is a can of worms about opening up the Bestiaries to players (and other sources of monster stats) and this is a work in progress on the best way to manage player expectation and still surprise them with what the creatures can do when encountered in the wild.
Its sometimes good not to know everything.
Magical Items: Item Creation, Reference List
Consumable Items: Dispelling Sliver, Fugitive’s Grenade, Halflight Charm
Held Items: Terra-Cotta Talismans, Trail Map of the Region
Runes: Poison Rune
Specific Armour: Armour of the Armadillo, Ghost Mirror Armour, Shozoku of the Night Wind
Specific Weapons: Dancing Wasp, Deadly Kiss, Earthfire Shuriken, Nine-Fold Spirit Sword, Oathtaker, Suishen, Whispering Shrike
Worn items: Claws of the Ice Bear, Sashimono of Comfort
PF2 Menu: Adventures, Classes, Factions, Feats, Items, Races, Rules Updates
Game Management: Annotated Stat Block, Character Creation, Choosing a New Campaign, GM’s Luck Roll, Playtest Thoughts, Running Games over Skype, Tracking Experience
Class Build: Minion (Mitflit), Barbarian (Nexa Shoanti Half-Orc), Bard (Quest – Goblin), Cleric (Pimwinkle – Halfling, , Krol – Elf Half-Gnome), Druid (Barak – Dwarf, Cangacerio – Human Half-Elf), Fighter (Kordar – Elf Half-Human, Zed – Human), Monk (Willy – Human), Oracle (Luna – Shoanti), Ranger (Duzhar – Orc Half-Human), Rogue (Sparky – Dwarf), Sorcerer (Belath – Cheliax), Wizard (Parry – Elf Half-Dwarf)
Discussing the Rules: Animal Companions, Archetypes, Companions, Crafting PF2 Items, Feats, Minions, Playing the Game, Shapechanging, Summoning
Game Modes: Encounter, Exploration, Downtime
Feats: Background, General & Skill, Location
PF1 Conversions to Pathfinder 2: Adventures, Classes, Items, Faction
References: Creatures, Equipment, Items, NPCs, Spells
Thassilonian Resurgence Adventure Path (TRAP) Campaign
Design, Campaign, Campaign Journal, Runelords
Jade Regent Adventure Path (JRAP) Campaign
Personalities, Campaign Journal, Region – Minkai, Prophecy – The Broken One, Characters – Social Feats
Library of Books
B5, d20 System, Pathfinder, SW
This site is currently undergoing migration to www.thedarkelf007.com website due to needing a different set of tools that I had available to me on here.
Basic Links: Who Am I?, Home, Game Tools, Game Session Videos, My Campaigns, My Library, Site Map, Subscription Information
Game Systems: Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder 1 & 2, Shadowrun, Star Wars. Other Game Systems
Site sponsored by the author AS Hamilton (my wife) with her books available on amazon kindle.