Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Background – Sage
Source: Players Handbook (5e-wiz-ph-137)
You spent years learning the lore of the multiverse. You scoured manuscripts, studied scrolls, and listened to the greatest experts on the subjects that interest you. Your efforts have made you a master in your fields of study.
- Attributes – Background – Sage
- Found: Alfheim, Ierendi
- Skill Proficiencies: Arcana, History
- Languages: Two additional Languages
- Equipment: A bottle of black ink, a quill, a small knife, a letter from a dead colleague posing a question you have not yet been able to answer, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp
- Feature – Researcher – When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature, Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.
- Specialty – To determine the nature of your scholarly training, roll a d8 or choose from the options in the table below.
- Discredited academic
- Wizard’s Apprentice
Sages are defined by their extensive studies, and their characteristics reflect this !ife of study. Devoted to scholarly pursuits, a sage values knowledge highly-sometimes in its own right, sometimes as a means toward other ideaIs.
d8 Personality Trait
- I use polysyllabic words that eonvey lhe impression of greal erudition.
- I’ve read every book in the world’s greatest libraries or I like to boast that I have.
- I’m used to helping out those who aren’t as smart as I am, and I patiently explain anything and everything to others.
- There’s nothing I like more than a good mystery.
- I’m willing to listen to every side of an argumenl before I make my own judgment.
- I … speak … slowly … when talking to idiols, … whieh … almost … everyone … is compared … to me.
- I am horribly, horribly awkward in social situalions.
- I’m eonvineed thal people are always trying to steal my secrets.
- Knowledge. The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge. (Neutral)
- Beauty. What is beautiful points us beyond itself toward what is true. (Good)
- Logie. Emotions must not c1oud our logical thinking. (lawful)
- No Limits. Nothing should fetter the infinite possibility inherent in all existenee. (Chaotie)
- Power. Knowledge is the path to power and domination. (Evil)
- Self.lmprovement. The goal of a life of study is the betterment of oneself. (Any)
- It is my duty to proteet my students.
- I have an ancient text that holds terrible secrets that must not fali into the wrong hands.
- I work to preserve a library, university, scriptorium, or monastery.
- My life’s work is a series of tomes related to a speeific field of lore.
- I’ve been searehing my whole life for the answer to a certain questiono
- I sold my soul for knowledge. I hope to do great deeds and win it baek.
- I am easily distraeted by the promise of information.
- Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and take notes on its anatomy.
- Unlocking an ancient mystery is worth the priee of a civilization.
- I overlook obvious solutions in favor of complicated ones.
- I speak without really thinking through my words, invariably insulting others.
- I can’t keep a seeret to save my life, or anyone else’s.
Design changes for Backgrounds
At this stage, the main changes to background are the nations you will find them in. So they are location specific.
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.