Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Background – Knight of the Order
Source: Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide (5e-wiz-scag-151)
You belong to an order of knights who have sworn oaths to achieve a certain goal. The nature of this goal depends on the order you serve, but in your eyes it is without question a vital and honorable endeavor. Mystara has a wide variety of knightly orders, all of which have a similar outlook concerning their actions and responsibilities.
Though the term “knight” conjures ideas of mounted, heavily armored warriors of noble blood, most knightly orders in Mystara don’t restrict their membership to such individuals. The goals and philosophies of the order are more important than the gear and fighting style of its members, and so most of these orders aren’t limited to fighting types, but are open to a ll sorts of folk who are willing to battle and die for the order’s cause.
- Found: Alfheim, Karameikos
- Skill Proficiencies: Persuasion, plus one from Arcana, History, Nature and Religion, as appropriate to your order.
- Tools: One Type of Gaming Set or musical instrument
- Languages: One additional Languages
- Equipment: One set of traveler’s clothes, a signet, banner or seal representing your place or rank in the order, and a pouch containing 10 gp.
- Feature – Knightly Regard – You receive shelter and succor from members of your order and those who are smypathetic to its aims. You can gain aid from assocaited temples and communities. This also reflects on those they have aided in the past as well. This comes in the form of shelter and meals, and healing when appropriate, as well as occasionally risky endeavours such as rescuing and smuggling the character.
The horrors of war combined with the rigid discipline of military service leave their mark on ali soldiers, shaping their ideais, creating strong bonds, and often leaving them scarred and vuInerable to fear, shame, and hatred.
d8 Personality Trait
- I’m always polite and respectful.
- I’m haunled by memories of war. I can’t get the images of violence out of my mind.
- I’ve lost too many friends, and I’m slow to make new one.
- I’m full of inspiring and cautionary tales from my military experience relevant to almost every combat situation.
- I can stare down a hell hound without flinching.
- I enjoy being strong and like breaking things.
- I have a crude sense of humor.
- I face problems head.on. A simple, direct solulion is the best path to success.
- Greater Good – Our lot is lo lay down our lives in defense of others. (Dwarven Philosphy)
- Responsibilily – I do what I must and obey just authorily. (Elven and Dragonkind Philosophy)
- Independence – When people follow orders blindly, they embrace a kind of tyranny. (Halfling Philosophy)
- Might – In life as in war, the stronger force wins. (Human philosophy)
- Live and Let Live – Ideals aren’t worth killing over or going to war for. (Gnome philosophy)
- Nalion – My city, nation, or people are all thal matter. (Any)
- I would still lay down my life for the people I served with.
- Someone saved my life on the battlefield. To this day, I will never leave a friend behind.
- My honor is my life.
- I’ll never forget the crushing defeat my company suffered or the enemies who dealt it.
- Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for.
- I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.
- The monstrous enemy we faced in battle still leaves me quivering with fear.
- I have little respect for anyone who is not a proven warrior.
- I made a terrible mistake in battle cost many livesand I would do anything to keep that mistake secret.
- My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning.
- I obey the law, even if the law causes misery.
- I’d rather eat my armor than admit when I’m wrong.
- Order of the Griffon – The griffon riders of Karameikos are among the best of those who serve both the church and the state. They also sreve as diplomatic couriers for many.
- Order of the Tree – Elves of Alfheim honour those who server the tree of life above all others. It is concidered to be be the highest calling an elf can get.
Design changes for Backgrounds
At this stage, the main changes to background are the nations you will find them in. So they are location specific.
Hermit, Knight of the Order, Pirate, Sage, Sailor, Soldier
D&D 5E in Mystara
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Game Management – Annotated Stat Block, Character Creation, Choosing a New Campaign, Gaming over Skype, GM’s Luck Roll, Tracking Experience
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
Library of Books
B5, d20 System, Pathfinder, SW
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Basic Links: Who Am I?, Home, Game Tools, Game Session Videos, My Campaigns, My Library, Site Map, Subscription Information
Game Systems: Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder 1 & 2, Shadowrun, Star Wars. Other Game Systems
Site sponsored by the author AS Hamilton (my wife) with her books available on amazon kindle.