Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Background – Solder
Source: Players Handbook (5e-wiz-ph-134)
War has been your !ife for as long as you care to remember. Vou trained as a youth, studied the use of weapons and armor, learned basic survival techniques, including how to stay a!ive on the battlefield. You might have been part of a standing national army or a mercenary company, or perhaps a member of a local militia who rose to prominence during a recent war.
When you choose this background, work with your DM to determine which military organization you were a part of, how far through its ranks you progressed, and what kind of experiences you had during your mi!itary career. Was it a standing army, a town guard, or a village militia? Or it might have been a noble’s or merchant’s private army, or a mercenary company.
- Found: Alfheim, Ierendi
- Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Intimifation
- Tools: One Type of Gaming Set, Vehicles (Land)
- Languages: One additional Languages
- Equipment: An insignia of rank, a trophy taken from a fallen enemy (a dagger, broken blade, or piece of a banner), a set of bone dice or deck of cards, a set of common clothes, and a beIt pouch containing 10 gp.
- Feature – Military Rank– You have a military rank from your career as a soldier. SoIdiers loyal to your former military organization still recognize your authority and inftuence, and they defer to you if they are of a Iower rank. You can invoke your rank to exert inftuence over other soldiers and requisition simple equipment or horses for temporary use. You can aIso usually gain access to friendly military encampments and fortresses where your rank is recognized.
- Speciality – During your time as a soldier, you had a specific role to pIay in your unit or army. Roll a d8 or choose from the options in the table below to determine your role:.
d8 – Speciality
- Standard Bearer.
- Support Staff (cook, blacksmith, or the like).
The horrors of war combined with the rigid discipline of military service leave their mark on ali soldiers, shaping their ideais, creating strong bonds, and often leaving them scarred and vuInerable to fear, shame, and hatred.
d8 Personality Trait
- I’m always polite and respectful.
- I’m haunled by memories of war. I can’t get the images of violence out of my mind.
- I’ve lost too many friends, and I’m slow to make new one.
- I’m full of inspiring and cautionary tales from my military experience relevant to almost every combat situation.
- I can stare down a hell hound without flinching.
- I enjoy being strong and like breaking things.
- I have a crude sense of humor.
- I face problems head.on. A simple, direct solulion is the best path to success.
- Greater Good – Our lot is lo lay down our lives in defense of others. (Dwarven Philosphy)
- Responsibilily – I do what I must and obey just authorily. (Elven and Dragonkind Philosophy)
- Independence – When people follow orders blindly, they embrace a kind of tyranny. (Halfling Philosophy)
- Might – In life as in war, the stronger force wins. (Human philosophy)
- Live and Let Live – Ideals aren’t worth killing over or going to war for. (Gnome philosophy)
- Nalion – My city, nation, or people are all thal matter. (Any)
- I would still lay down my life for the people I served with.
- Someone saved my life on the battlefield. To this day, I will never leave a friend behind.
- My honor is my life.
- I’ll never forget the crushing defeat my company suffered or the enemies who dealt it.
- Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for.
- I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.
- The monstrous enemy we faced in battle still leaves me quivering with fear.
- I have little respect for anyone who is not a proven warrior.
- I made a terrible mistake in battle cost many livesand I would do anything to keep that mistake secret.
- My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning.
- I obey the law, even if the law causes misery.
- I’d rather eat my armor than admit when I’m wrong.
Design changes for Backgrounds
At this stage, the main changes to background are the nations you will find them in. So they are location specific.
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.