Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Races – Human of Water (Makai)
This is my take on the Makai people using the five element concept.
Descendants of the Neathar. Based on islander cultures. These humans are tied to the sphere of Time. Their skin is teal becomes darker with time spent in the sun, their hair blue-green, and eyes are shades of blue as deep as the sea.
- Age: Young Adult at 14, Adult at 18 and live to 100 years.
- Size: Humans are 4 ½ to 5 ½ feet tall in general. Their size is Medium, thought in some special cases they can be Small.
- Speed: Your base walking speed 30 ft.
- Fast Learner (Level Up) With their short life spans, humans can acquire knowledge at a higher rate than more long-lived heritages. You gain proficiency in one additional skill of your choice in addition you require half as much time as normal to train yourself in the use of armour, skill, tool, secret craft or weapon during downtime.
- Intrepid (Level Up) Your survival instinct is remarkably strong. When you make an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw, you can choose to gain an expertise die on that roll. Once you use this trait, you cannot use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
- Weapons Mastery (GM House Rule) Gains proficiency with one weapons of significance of your choice. If you have proficiency with this weapon, they are upgrades skilled level.
- Human Gifts (Level Up) Choose One – Diehard Survivor (p40), Ingenious Focus (p40), Spirited Traveller (p40)
- Class Options – Available to all Human Subraces
- Feats: Weapons Mastery
The Makai people are an evolution from the Neathar. They are connected to water and time. They have a pacific islander style to their appearance and culture. They are the best sailors in the world, and underestimated due to their friendly culture and appearance. They form the backbone of the Ierendi and Minrothad navies, as well as most of the pirate fleets of the world.
- Height – men are 4′ to 5′, women 3′ 8″ to 4’ 8″.
- Complexion – teal skinned.
- Colouration – skin and hair tinged with blue and green, brown hair with eyes of rich shades of blue as deep as the sea.
- Known Locations: Ierendi and Minrothad.
- Traits – based on the Variant Human
- Attributes – Human – Makai (Human of Water) Traits
- Ability Score Increase: Wisdom +1, plus one other ability of your choice
- Skills: Proficiency with Insight or Perception
- Feat: Healer or Skilled
- Spirit of the Sea: When making navigation checks on a large body of water, you have advantage if you are travelling to a place you have been before.
- Language: Common language is Thyatian. Bonus language is Makai.
- Pantheons: Makai
- Secret Crafts: (Starting) Your choice of starting secret crafts include: Waterologist.
- Evolution (1st Evolution): Counts as the Neathar and Genasi races for the purposes of effects and magical items. As a 1st evolution, there is a 25% chance for any offspring to be a Genasi.
Most Makai have the Water Aspected Traits, to select other elemental traits please gain the game masters permission.
Associated Element – Water Aspected Traits
- Ability Score Increase: Wisdom +2
- Touch of the Water (Water Aspected) While taking a short rest next to or touching open water or a prepared bowl filled with water, you can spend 1 HD to roll two dice and take the results of both.
- Power of Time (Water Aspected) When using (or effected by) Cold or Force you add your proficiency bonus to the damage (or reduce damage taken) and cause your eyes to glow blue till the start of your next turn.
- Danger of Energy (Water Aspected) When hit by Fire or Radiant damage you take additional damage equal to your proficiency. Fire and Radiant effects you use, have their attack, damage and saving throw reduced by your proficiency instead of increased by it.
- Water Evolution: Counts as a Genasi for the purposes of using Water Genasi effects and magical items, but not as a Water Genasi. With every genasi offspring there is a d20 roll to determine their elemental aspect:
- 80% chance of an Water Aspected child (1 to 16)
- 5% chance of an one of the other elements aspects. Air (17), Darkness (18), Earth (19), Fire (20)
- Character Options – All Water Aspected Sub-Races
Makai Character Options
- Barbarian – Path of the Ancestors
- Druid – Circle of the Land (Coast)
- Fighter – Champion
- Monk – Way of the Open Hand
- Paladin – Oath of Mercy, Oath of Redemption
- Rogue – Hidden Guardian
- Sorcerer – Nereid Bloodline, Wild Magic
- Wizard – School of Transmutation
Makai Campaign Examples
- see Lil Miss (Wed)
Makai Racial Magical Items
The items from these people have a tendency to deal with islander style items. See all (Makai) items listed below as your relic magical items. You can also treat (Neathar) as relic items as well. See Genasi Overview for (Waterchild) genasi items you can use is if you were a genasi.
- Makai – The items from these people have a tendency to deal with islander style items.
- Neathar (Base Human) – The items from these people have a tendency to deal with a nomadic stone age style. A Human (and all Human subtypes) can use the base human relic trait of all Human items.
- Genasi (Water) – These are elemental water based items. A Makai can use the relic trait of the item is if they are a base Genasi, just not the Water aspect relic trait.
- 2021-08-17 – Updated classes and magical items.
- 2021-02-22 – Cleaned up the look and added in links.
- 2020-09-20 – Cleanup and fixing of elemental aspects.
- 2020-03-23 – Structure and references.
- 2020-03-16 – Structure and human traits.
- 2020-02-20 – Added in bonus language.
Dragonkind Overview: Air (Crystalborn, Silverborn, Whiteborn), Darkness (Blackborn, Brassborn, Onyxborn), Earth (Copperborn, Emeraldborn, Greenborn), Fire( Amberborn, Goldborn, Redborn, Rubyborn), Water (Blueborn, Bronzeborn, Sapphineborn)
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.