Star Wars – Character Builds
FFG – Smuggler – Gambler / Mechanic
Here is a series of articles walking through the character creation process of Characters in the Fantasy Flight Games (FFG) Star Wars system. It will contain notes about why certain choices were made for the campaign it was built for as well as a complete stat block that can be used to run the character in a game session.
- Step 1 – Background
- Step 2 – Obligation
- Step 3 – Species
- Step 4 – Career
- Step 5 – Specialisation
- Step 6 – Attributes
- Step 7 – Derived Attributes
- Step 8 – Motivations
- Step 9 – Gear and Appearance
- Updates – Session 20, Session 24
- Example Build
- Content Updates
Step 1 – Background
- Character base backstory –
- High and Mighty (2,500 cr added to starting, +10 obligation to Jawa clan) The clan has taken a hit recently and you have been tasked with making up for that loss.
- Privilege (500 cr added to starting, +5 obligation to jawa clan) Your used to the finer things in life and wish to regain your former lifestyle.
Step 2 – Obligation
- Debt of 20 – Clan racked up debt to cover losses due to a price crash when the Media building was exploded in a terrorist act on Elrood.
Step 3 – Species
All original characters are part of the Mandalorian race.
- Attributes – Racial – Jawa
- Brawn – 1
- Agility – 2
- Intellect – 2
- Cunning – 3
- Willpower – 2
- Presence – 2
- Wound Threshold – 9 + Brawn
- Strain Threshold – 10 + Willpower
- Starting Experience – 100 XP
- Starting options – One rank in a Mechanics. Starting characters cannot have skills higher than rank 2. One rank in Utinni! talent.
This was limited for story reasons having the group being formed from those who show promise in the clan, but are not their best and brightest.
Step 4 – Career
For this storyline, the orignial characters are all bounty hunters.
- Attributes – Career – Smuggler
- Career Skills – Coordination (Ag), Deception (Cu), Knowledge (In) – Underworld, Perception (Cu), Piloting (Ag) – Space, Skulduggery (Cu), Streetwise (Cu), Vigilance (Wi)
- Starting Character gains one rank in four career skills of their choice.
- Starting Character chooses one of the following specialisations for free: Charmer, Gambler, Gunslinger, Pilot, Scoundrel and Thief
Player chose Gambler with Deception, Knowledge, Streetwise and Vigilance
Step 5 – Specialisation
- Attributes – Smuggler Specialisation – Gambler
- Career Skills – Computers (In), Cool (Pr), Deception (Cu), Skulduggery (Cu)
- Starting Character gains one rank in two career skills of their choice.
- Attributes – Technician Specialisation – Mechanic
- Career Skills – Brawl (Br), Mechanics (In), Piloting (Ag) – Space, Skulduggery (Cu)
Step 6 – Attributes
- 100 XP starting character
- Cunning +1 (to 4) = 40 XP
- Cunning +1 (to 5) = 50 XP
- Talent – Convincing Demeanor and Grit
Step 7 – Derived Attributes
- Attribute – Wound Threshold
- 11+ Starting brawn + talents
- Attribute – Strain Threshold
- 10+ Starting willpower + talents
- Attribute – Defence
- Ranged Defence 0
- Melee Defence 0
- Attribute – Soak Value
- Brawn + Talant + Gear
Step 8 – Motivations
- Motivated by Reward for Credits – The Smuggler just wants to get paid. Smuggling is a career after all, and no one works for free. He may be a very successful Smuggler, but is always greedy for more credits. Or maybe he’s just scraping by and reliant on payment for each job before he can repair his ship, feed his crew, and move on to the next contract. Perhaps he wants what he’s owed, fair and square, or maybe dreams of winning big in a sabacc game. In any case, he is in it for the money. Smuggling can be very lucrative if he goes about it the right way and has luck on his side. There is always the chance, particularly in illegal dealings, that the employer won’t want to pay out. In such cases, the Smuggler with the Credits Motivation does everything he can to claim his due.
Step 9 – Gear and Appearance
- Credits 3,500 cr
- Spent – (3,500 spent)
- 250 – Ionization Blaster
- 400 – 2x Stun Grenades, 3x Frag Grenades, 1x Armour Piercing Grenade
- 200 – Utility Belt, Backpack, handheld Comlink
- 2,250 – 2nd hand X-34 Landspeeder (Damaged)
- 400 – Toolkit, Climbing Gear
- Weight – (8) Fraction Items for every 10 items it adds an additional 1 encumbrance
- Fraction Items (-)
- Enc 1 (-)
Session 20 – Gambler / Mechanic
- For the 8th February 2022
- Credits 100
- Free Machinic Specialisation added to character from backstory elements and Gearhead talent.
Session 24 – Gambler / Mechanic
- Changes of Obligation based on playstyle.
- Debt 20 (Needs to pay of clan loans.)
- Gift of Imperial Operations Manual for two Activities of his choice – Adds +1 Boost (Blue) Dice to checks for the activity.
- Imperial Guide to Translating Trandosa to Basic
- Imperial Guide to Surviving on Coyn
- Gained the Talent – Up the Ante (Rank 1 – Gamber)
Name – Ebaya
- Jawa Male Smuggler – Gambler (G) / Mechanic (M)
- Background – High and Mighty Jawa with Privileged upbringing
- Motivation – Reward for Credits
- Jawa Clan Debt 20
- XP Total – 130
- Starting (100), Session 20 (25), Session 24 (5)
Description: From the Cryptocurrency Fields of Alderaan. The clan has taken a hit recently and you have been tasked with making up for that loss. Your used to the finer things in life and wish to regain your former lifestyle. Clan racked up debt to cover losses due to a price crash when the Media building was exploded in a terrorist act on Elrood
(Br)awn 1 – (Ag)ility 2 – (Int)ellect 2 –
(Cun)ning 5 – (Will)power 2 – (Pr)esence 2
- Soak Value – 1
- Wound Threshold – 10 (9 +Starting Br 1)
- Strain Threshold – 13 (10 +Starting Will 2 + Grit)
- Ranged Defence – 0 / Melee Defence – 0
- General – Computers 1 (Int), Mechanics 1 (Int), Streetwise 1 (Cun), Vigilance 1 (Will)
- Social – Deception 2 (Cun),
- Combat –
- Knowledge – Underworld 1 (Int)
- Talents (5) –
- Tier 1 (5) Convincing Demeanor (G), Gearhead (M), Grit (G), Up the Ante (G), Utinni! (Jawa)
- Abilities (#) – Imperial Guides (x2)
Equipment (#) – Carry Capacity of 6 (+1 utility belt, +4 backpack)
- Armour Piercing Grenade (Skill Ranged – Light, Damage 13, Crit 3, Range Short, Special Qualities: Blast 4, Limited Ammo 1, Pierce 3)
- Frag Grenades x3 (Skill Ranged – Light, Damage 8, Range Short, Special Qualities: Blast 6, Limited Ammo 1)
- Stun Grenades x2 (Skill Ranged – Light, Damage 9, Crit NA, Ranged Short, Special Qualities: Blast 8, Disorient 3, Limited Ammo 1, Stun Damage)
- Ionization Blaster (Skill Ranged – Light, Damage 10, Crit 5, Range Short, Special Qualities: Disorient 5, Stun Damage (droid only))
- Weight – (9/11) Max = 5 + Brawn + Utility Belt (1), + Backpack (4). Fraction Items for every 10 items it adds an additional 1 encumbrance
- Fraction Items (2) HandHeld Comlink, Hand Scanner (Tech)
- Enc 1 (6) Armour Piercing Grenade (1), Frag Grenades (3), Stun Grenade (2)
- Enc 3 (1) – Ionization Blaster
- X-34 Landspeeder (weight capacity 5/15)
- Enc 1 (1) Climbing Gear
- Enc 4 (1) Tool Kit
- Note – Due to damage Silhouette – 2, Speed 1, Handling -1 Hull 2/4 Strain 4/5
- Notes (#)
- Career Skills (Smuggler, Gambler, Mechanic) – Brawl (Br), Computers (Int), Cool (Pr), Coordination (Ag), Deception (Cun), Knowledge – Underworld (Int), Mechanics (Int), Perception (Cun), Piloting – Space (Ag), Skulduggery (Cun), Streetwise (Cun), Vigilance (Will)
- Chapter 2 – Starting (3,500 cr) + 100 credits
- Licence – Imperial ID,
- Imperial Guide – Provides a Boost (Blue) Dice in situations relevant to the guide when you have access t it.
- Guides: Translating Trandosha to Basic, Surviving on Coyn
- TALENTS (Tier 1 (4))
- Convincing Demeanor (Tier 1 – Ranked) – Remove a Setback (Black) dice from Deception or Skullduggery checks for each Tier of this talent.
- Gearhead (Tier 1 – Ranked) Remove a Setback (Black) dice from Mechanics checks per Tier. Halve the credit cost to add mods to attachments.
- Grit (Tier 1 – Ranked) Add 1 to your Strain Threshold for each tier in Grit
- Up the Ante (Tier 1 – Ranked) When gambling, earn 10% credits per rank.
- Utinni! (Tier 1 – Ranked) Remove Setback (Black) dice from checks made to scavenge items or gear equal to Tier, including Negotiation, Perception, etc. Such skill checks are half their normal time.
- ee-cr – Edge of the Empire – Core Rules (sw-ffg-ee-cr)
- 2022-04-05 – Updated for Session 24
Game Management: Annotated Stat Block, Character Creation, Choosing a New Campaign, Creating a Galaxy Map, Ending three year campaign, GM’s Luck Roll, Running Games over Skype, Tracking Experience, 2016 Campaign
References: for Characters, for GMs, Dice, Items (Lightsabers, Modifying, Purchasing, Qualities), Knight Level Play, Mechanics (Awareness, Duty, Morality, Obligation), Movement (Personal, Planetary, Vehicles), Roles (Bounty Hunting, Investigations), Secrets (Empire, Jedi, Mandalorians, Rebels, Sith)
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.