Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Magical Item – Instrument – Lyre
- Type: Wondrous Item
- Rarity: Rare, Genasi Relic or Giant Relic
- Original Source: Dungeon Masters Guide (dmg176)
- Base Item
- Campaign Examples
- Original Item
- Design Details
- Content Updates
Base Item – Instrument – Lyre
Rare Item Value
Price: 2d10 x1,000 gp (2,000 to 20,000) – 50% for consumable items
Base Price: 12,000 gp or 6,000 gp for expendable
Expendable Items can be attuned on use, at the cost of a random attuned item and slot.
Cursed Items auto attune on use and replace a random attuned item and slot.
C – Common, U – Uncommon, R – Rare, VR – Very Rare, L – Legendary, A – Artefact, Cu – Cursed
Racial Items Link
Dragonkind, Dwarven, Elven, Genasi, Giant, Gnome, Halfling, Human
Magical Item – Rare – Instrument – Lyre – 12,000 gp
- Standard: The lyre is a stringed musical instrument that dates back to 1400 BC in ancient Greece. It is known for its use in Greek classical antiquity and later periods. The instrument was created and used earlier, around 2600 BC, in Egypt. In organology, a lyre is considered a yoke lute, since it is a lute in which the strings are attached to a yoke that lies in the same plane as the sound table, and consists of two arms and a crossbar.
- A creature that attempts to play the instrument without being attuned to it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or take 2d4 psychic damage.
- Requirement: To attune to this item you need to be a bard.
- Attunement: Known as an instrument of the bards, it is an exquisite example of it kind, superior to an ordinary instrument in every way. Seven types of these instruments exist, each named after a legendary bard college. The following spells are common to all instruments of this type.
- You can use an action to play the instrument and cast one of its spells. Once the instrument has been used to cast a spell, it can’t be used to cast that spell again until the next dawn. The spells use your spellcasting ability and spell save DC.
- When you use the instrument to cast a spell that causes targets to become charmed on a failed save, the targets have disadvantage on the saving throw. This effect applies whether you are using the instrument as the source of the spell or as a spellcasting focus.
- Spells: Fly, Invisibility, Levitate, Protection from Evil and Good, Stone Shape, Wall of Fire, Wind Wall.
- Relic: If you are a Giant or Genasi then you have advantage on the saving throw to use it while unattuned. If you are a Giant or Genasi and attuned use of this item as a focus grants you advantage on spellcasting for rituals.
Example Campaign Items – Instrument – Lyre
Design Details – Instrument – Lyre
Having removed the name of the instruments as they represent the Forgotten Realms bardic colleges, I have changed them over to the following.
- Anstruth Harp – Elven College (Harps are linked to dragons as well)
- Canaith Mandolin – Halfling College
- Cli Lyre – Alphatian College
- Doss Lute – Thyatian College
- Fachlucan Bandore – Dwarven College
- Mac Furmidh Cittern – Gnomish College
- Ollamh Harp – Dragonkin College (Magnificent Harps are linked to elves as well)
Bandore – The bandora or bandore is a large long-necked plucked string-instrument that can be regarded as a bass cittern though it does not have the re-entrant tuning typical of the cittern. Probably first built by John Rose in England around 1560, it remained popular for over a century. The bandore, though built like a cittern, had six or seven courses (unison pairs) of strings tuned in a more lute-like fashion, but without the high d found on a bass lute.
Cittern – The cittern or cithren is a stringed instrument dating from the Renaissance. Modern scholars debate its exact history, but it is generally accepted that it is descended from the Medieval citole. It had a shallow, pear-shaped body with an asymmetrical neck that was thicker under the treble strings.
Harp – A harp, stringed instrument in which the resonator, or belly, is perpendicular, or nearly so, to the plane of the strings. Each string produces one note, the gradation of string length from short to long corresponding to that from high to low pitch. The resonator is usually of wood or skin. In arched, or bow-shaped, harps the neck extends from and forms a curve with the body. In angular harps, body and neck form an angle.
Lute – A lute is any plucked string instrument with a neck and a deep round back enclosing a hollow cavity, usually with a sound hole or opening in the body. It may be either fretted or unfretted. More specifically, the term “lute” can refer to an instrument from the family of European lutes.
Lyre – The lyre is a stringed musical instrument that dates back to 1400 BC in ancient Greece. It is known for its use in Greek classical antiquity and later periods. The instrument was created and used earlier, around 2600 BC, in Egypt. In organology, a lyre is considered a yoke lute, since it is a lute in which the strings are attached to a yoke that lies in the same plane as the sound table, and consists of two arms and a crossbar.
Mandolin – A mandolin is a stringed musical instrument in the lute family and is generally plucked with a plectrum. It most commonly has four courses of doubled metal strings tuned in unison, thus giving a total of 8 strings, although five (10 strings) and six (12 strings) course versions also exist.
Original Item – Instrument of the Bards
Was called – Instrument of the Bards – Anstruth Harp
Source: Dungeon Masters Guide (dmg176)
INSTRUMENT OF THE BARDS
Wondrous item, rarity varies (requires attunement by a bard)
An instrument of the bards is an exquisite example of it kind, superior to an ordinary instrument in every way. Seven types of these instruments exist, each named after a legendary bard college. The following table lists the spells common to all instruments, as well as the spells specific to each one and its rarity. A creature that attempts to play the instrument without being attuned to it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or take 2d4 psychic damage.
You can use an action to play the instrument and cast one of its spells. Once the instrument has been used to cast a spell, it can’t be used to cast that spell again until the next dawn. The spells use your spellcasting ability and spell save DC.
When you use the instrument to cast a spell that causes targets to become charmed on a failed save, the targets have disadvantage on the saving throw. This effect applies whether you are using the instrument as the source of the spell or as a spellcasting focus.
|All||NA||Fly, Invisibility, Levitate, Protection from Evil and Good|
|Anstruth Harp||Very Rare||Control Weather, Cure Wounds (5th), Wall of Thorns|
|Canaith Mandolin||Rare||Cure Wounds (3rd), Dispel magic, Protection from Energy (Lightning)|
|Cli Lyre||Rare||Stone Shape, Wall of Fire, Wind Wall|
|Doss Lute||Uncommon||Animal Friendship, Protection from Energy (Fire), Protection from Poison|
|Fachlucan Bandore||Uncommon||Entangle, Faerie Fire, Shillelagh, Speak with Animals|
|Mac Furmidh Cittern||Uncommon||Barkskin, Cure Wounds, Fog Cloud|
|Ollamh Harp||Legendary||Confusion, Control Weather, Fire Storm|
- 2022-08-29 – Magical Item Page Created.
Magical Items in Mystara Overview, Campaign Items, Creating Unique Items
Downtime Buying and Selling Items or Crafting Items
Types: Armour, Blessings, Books, Charm, Epic Boons, Marks of Prestige, Potion, Ring, Rod, Rune, Scroll, Staff, Wand Overview, Weapon, Wondrous Items
Relics of: Dragonkind, Dwarves, Elven, Genasi, Giantkind, Gnome, Halfling, Human
Tuesday Items: T001, T002, T003, T004, T005, T006, T007, T008, T009, T010, T011, T012, T013, T014, T015, T016, T017, T018, T019, T020, T021, T022, T023, T024, T025, T026, T027, T028, T029, T030, T031, T032, T033, T034, T035, T036, T037, T038, T039, T040, T041, T042, T043, T044, T045, T046, T047, T048, T049, T050, T051, T052, T054, T055, T056, T057, T058, T059, T060, T061, T062, T063, T064, T065, T066, T067, T068, T069, T070, T071, T072, T073, T074, T075
Wednesday Items: W001, W002, W003, W004, W005, W006, W007, W008, W009, W010, W011, W012, W013, W014, W015, W016, W017, W018, W019, W020, W021, W023, W024, W027, W028, W029, W030, W031, W032, W033, W034, W035, W038, W039, W040, W041, W042, W043, W044, W045, W047, W048, W049, W050, W051, W052, W054, W055, W056, W058, W059, W061, W062, W063, W064, W065
Friday Items: F002, F005, F006, F007, F008, F009, F010, F012, F014, F016, F019, F025, F026, F027, F028, F029, F030, F031, F032, F033, F034, F035, F036, F037, F038, F039, F040, F041, F042, F043, F044, F047, F048, F049, F050, F051, F052, F054, F055
D&D 5E in Mystara
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Game Management – Annotated Stat Block, Character Creation, Choosing a New Campaign, Gaming over Skype, GM’s Luck Roll, Tracking Experience
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
Library of Books
B5, d20 System, Pathfinder, SW
This site is currently undergoing migration to www.thedarkelf007.com website due to needing a different set of tools that I had available to me on here.
Basic Links: Who Am I?, Home, Game Tools, Game Session Videos, My Campaigns, My Library, Site Map, Subscription Information
Game Systems: Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder 1 & 2, Shadowrun, Star Wars. Other Game Systems
Site sponsored by the author AS Hamilton (my wife) with her books available on amazon kindle.