Star Wars – Career Specialisations of the Galaxy
The Big Game Hunter
- Source: Edge of the Empire – Enter the Unknown (sw-ffg-ee-eu-28)
- Talent Tree
- Fantasy Flight Games Rules
- Content Updates
This specialisation can be found as part of the following careers: Explorer.
With the skills of a survivalist, the instincts of a bounty hunter, and the courage of a madman, the Big-Game Hunter tends to baffle everyone with his desire to actively track down, confront, and do battle with the most terrifying creatures in the galaxy. He understands and respects the environments he must contend with in order to pursue his quarry, yet he is less interested in where he is going than in what he is going to kill when he gets there.
Though some true pacifists may take great exception to the notion, Big-Game Hunters tend to believe they are performing a service to the people of the galaxy. They generally seek out truly dangerous and deadly creatures to fight and kill, thus making more areas in the galaxy safe for sentient habitation. Big-Game Hunters tend to know how to get where their prey is, how to stay alive once they get there, and all about whatever it is they are there to do battle with.
Of course, there are plenty of hunters who are more than willing to kill pretty much anything that can net them a hefty profit, whether for pelts, horns, organs, or whatever else someone is willing to pay for. There are some hunters who take specific contracts from local governments to thin out a herd of something that is growing too large or to eliminate particularly enraged (and possibly infected) creatures that pose a danger to civilization.
For a Player Character, a Big-Game Hunter may not seem like a good fit at first. However, his general Explorer capabilities combined with his survival skills and his talent for fighting particularly dangerous foes may well make him a linchpin for a group’s success. Many Big-Game Hunters will take whatever jobs they can find out in the Rim just for the chance to travel to new places and see what there is to hunt.
Talent Tree – Big Game Hunter
Completing each tier earns the title for the character.
- Big Game Hunter Tier 1 (Does not require another talent to purchase)
- A1 Forager (P (expands to A2))
- B1 Grit (1/5 PR (does not expand))
- C1 Stalker (1/5 PR (expands to C2))
- D1 Outdoorsman (1/5 PR (expands to D2))
- Big Game Hunter Tier 2 (Requires a link back to a Tier 1 talent)
- A2 Toughened (2/5 PR (expands to A1, B2, A3))
- B2 Outdoorsman (2/5 PR (expands to A2, C2))
- C2 Confidence (1/4 PR (expands to C1, B2, C3))
- D2 Swift (P (expands to D1))
- Big Game Hunter Tier 3 (Requires a link back to a Tier 1 talent)
- A3 Stalker (3/5 PR (expands to A2))
- B3 Natural Hunter (A (expands to C3))
- C3 Expert Tracker (3/5 PR (expands to C2, B3, D3, C4))
- D4 Heightened Awareness (P (expands to C3, D4))
- Big Game Hunter Tier 4 (Requires a link back to a Tier 1 talent)
- A4 Grit (4/5 PR (expands to B4, A5))
- B4 Hunters Quarry (A (expands to A4, C4, B5))
- C4 Quick Strike (3/4 PR (expands to C3, B4, C5))
- D4 Expert Tracker (4/5 PR (expands to D3, D5))
- Big Game Hunter Tier 5 (Requires a link back to a Tier 1 talent)
- A5 Bring It Down (A (expands to A4))
- B5 Hunter’s Quarry – Improved (A (expands to B4))
- C5 Expert Tracker (5/5 PR (expands to C4, D5))
- D5 Superior Reflexes (P (expands to D4, C5))
P – Passive Talent / A – Active Talent / R – Ranked Talent (connections)
Upon Completing the Specialisation Tree – gain the Dedication talent.
Fantasy Flight Games Rules
Specialisation – Big Game Hunter (Survival)
Based on Star Wars Edge of the Empire – Enter the Unknown – Explorer – Big Game Hunter p 28.
- SW Career Skills – Knowledge – Xenology (Int), Ranged – Heavy (Ag), Stealth (Ag), Survival (Cun)
- SR Career Skills – Knowledge – Forbidden Lore (Int), Ranged – Heavy (Ag), Stealth (Ag), Survival (Cun)
- Starting Character gains one rank in two career skills of their choice.
- These skills become additional Career skills.
- Rank 1 Talents – Forager (P), Grit (PR), Outdoorsman (PR), Stalker (PR)
- Rank 2 Talents – Confidence (PR), Outdoorsman (PR), Swift (P), Toughened (PR)
- Rank 3 Talents – Expert Tracker (PR), Heighten Awareness (P), Quick Strike (PR), Stalker (PR)
- Rank 4 Talents – Expert Tracker (PR), Grit (PR), Hunters Quarry (A), Quick Strike (PR)
- Rank 5 Talents – Bring It Down (A), Hunters Quarry – Improved (P), Natural Hunter (A), Superior Reflexes (P)
(A) Active Talent (P) Passive Talent (R) Ranked Talent
House Rule Changes
Made Dedication the reward for completing a Specialisation Tree instead of a Tier 5 Item. Replaced Dedication with a 5th Tier Natural Hunter in fitting with the Big Game Hunter. Having moved natural hunter to Tier 5, in its place I have put in Quick Strike.
- 2022-06-27 – Added in a sharable tree.
Assassin, Big Game Hunter, Droid Tech, Enforcer, Gadgeteer, Gambler, Marauder, Marshal, Martial Artist, Mechanic, Medic, Mercenary Soldier, Operator, Propagandist, Recruit, Scoundrel, Skip Tracer, Survivalist, Tactician
Star Wars RPG
SW Menu: Adventure, New Rules, Adversary, Companies, Droid, Equipment, Galaxy Map, Location, Vehicle
Campaign: NPCs, Side Stories, Timeline
Game Management: Annotated Stat Block, Character Creation, Choosing a New Campaign, Creating a Galaxy Map, Ending three year campaign, GM’s Luck Roll, Running Games over Skype, Tracking Experience, 2016 Campaign
Character Builds: Bounty Hunter (Karlid – Assassin, Vanna – Gadgeteer, Kyanna – Martial Artist, Jed – Operator, Theya – Skip Tracer, Cadkia – Survivalist), Smuggler (Ebaya – Gambler), Technician (B1-337 – Droid Tech)
References: for Characters, for GMs, Dice, Items (Lightsabers, Modifying, Purchasing, Qualities), Knight Level Play, Mechanics (Awareness, Duty, Morality, Obligation), Movement (Personal, Planetary, Vehicles), Roles (Bounty Hunting, Investigations), Secrets (Empire, Jedi, Mandalorians, Rebels, Sith)
Creating a Campaign:
(1) Rules and Setting,
(2) Characters and Timeline,
(3) Fringes Storyline,
(4) Rebels Storyline,
(5) Force Storyline,
(6) Mandalorian Storyline
Library of Books
B5, d20 System, Pathfinder, SW
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Basic Links: Who Am I?, Home, Game Tools, Game Session Videos, My Campaigns, My Library, Site Map, Subscription Information
Game Systems: Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder 1 & 2, Shadowrun, Star Wars. Other Game Systems
Site sponsored by the author AS Hamilton (my wife) with her books available on amazon kindle.