My Library – 0e-hw-a2
Hollow World Adventures – Nightrage
Basic Dungeons and Dragons
- Publisher: TSR
- Rules: Dungeons & Dragons BECMI
- ISBN – 0-88038-898-6
- Product Code – TSR 9310
- used in Thanatos and the Nithians
Snakes fly, stones walk, and colossal monsters burrow in the world’s crust?do these omens foretell catastrophe? Perhaps so, for now the dark elves walk in the sunlight, wearing armor that turns the sharpest blades and strongest spells. They are poised to conquer the fabulous Hollow World.
But what is the armor? How does its creation involve the ancient, mile-long Great Annelids, as well as those wondrous creatures, the feathered serpents? The mystery’s solution draws your heroes across three thousand miles, from ruins to seaports, through the trackless caverns beneath the World’s Spine, and finally to the eternal land of Nithia. There your heroes discover the true meaning of “Nightrage”!
HWA2: “Nightrage”(1990), by Allen Varney, is the second of the Hollow World Adventures and also the second of the Blood Brethren trilogy. It was published in December 1990.
Origins: Hollow World Adventures. “Nightrage” is the second of the Basic D&D Hollow World adventures. It forms part of an overarching story where Thanatos attempts to unleash chaos in the Hollow World. The modules are written to allow play in any order, but Varney thought the result was more trouble than it was worth and says that they should just be played in order.
Adventure Tropes. The basic design of the Hollow World made travel between its kingdoms difficult. So, how do you create an adventure series that goes against this core precept of the setting, instead offering a tour of the Hollow World through visits to multiple lands? A sandworm-like annelid burrower eats the characters and then leaves them behind as … waste.
The rest of the adventure is more elegant. Like its predecessor it’s a mix of episodic events and sandboxed investigations. Though there are some minor lairs, there are no major crawls in this adventure.
Exploring the Hollow World. The heart of “Nightrage” takes place in Nithia, the Egyptian-influenced Hollow World realm. “Nightrage” features riverlands and desert alike, fleshing out the area. More details would appear in HWR2: “Kingdom of Nithia” (1991)
However, Varney also introduces two brand-new lands. The first is Colima, a small town near Azca. It offers an example of the otherwise unknowns “stonecarver” culture, which would get a bit more attention in HWR1: “Sons of Azca” (1991). The second is the floating continent of Ashmorain, home to feathered serpents.
Monsters of Note. The feathered serpents are a unique Hollow World race that appears for the first time here, where they’re extensively detailed. The serpents reappear in “Sons of Azca”; obviously, they’re a cognate to AD&D’s coautl.
The Known World’s elementals also make several appearances and reveal how unique they are in D&D lore — primarily because they act like individuals, not elemental forces. They’re named and even have unique characteristics. For example earth elementals are sedate and fire elementals are passionate; a fire elemental named Aura Grandiose is even said to be a “high-ranking artist”.
About the Creators. Freelancer Varney had previously worked for Steve Jackson Games, but was now writing for a variety of publishers. His TSR work started with M4: “Five Coins for a Kingdom” (1987) and now continued with a whole trilogy of supplements.
About the Product Historian
The history of this product was researched and written by Shannon Appelcline, the editor-in-chief of RPGnet and the author of Designers & Dragons – a history of the roleplaying industry told one company at a time. Please feel free to mail corrections, comments, and additions to email@example.com.
What is My Library
My Library is a section of my blog dedicated to the reference of material I am using in my games and linking it back to the sourcebooks I am using. It is also a handy way to keep track of the material I have.
It is intended as a reference section for personal use, any other use is just a bonus.
D&D BECMI (0e)
- Rulebooks (0e-rb): rc
- Adventures (0e-adv): b1, b19, x11, x12
- Wrath of the Immortals (0e-wi): bs, bs1, bs2
- Creature Crucible (0e-pc): 01, 02, 03, 04
- Gazetteers (0e-gaz): 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, box, box1, box2, box3
- Hollow World (0e-hw): a1, a2, a3, cs, dms, pg, q1, r1, r2, r3
D&D 3rd Edition (3rd Party Products)
- AEG (3e-aeg)
- Fantasy Flight Games
- Mongoose Publishing (3e-mgp)
- Complete Campaigns:: cc01, cc02, cc03, cc04, cc06
- Cities of Fantasy: cf01, cf02, cf03, cf04, cf05
- Classic Play: cp01, cp02, cp03, cp04, cp05, cp06, cp81, cp82
- Encylopeadia Arcane: ea01, ea02, ea03, ea04, ea05, ea06, ea07, ea08, ea09, ea10, ea11, ea12, ea13, ea14, ea15, ea16, ea17, ea18, ea19, ea20, ea21, ea22, ea23, ea24, ea25, ea26, ea97
- Epic Players Guide: epg20, epg21, epg22
- Gladiator: gsd
- Monster Encyclopeadia: me50, me51
- Power Classes: pc01, pc02, pc03, pc04, pc05, pc06, pc07, pc08, pc09, pc10, pc11, pc12, pc13
- Quintessential Collector: qc01, qc02, qc03, qc04, qc05, qc06, qc07, qc08, qc09, qc10, qc11, qc12, qc13, qc14, qc15, qc16, qc17, qc18, qc19, qc20, sc21, qc22, qc23, qc41, qc42, qc43, qc44, qc45, qc46, qc47, qc48, qc49, qc50, qc51, qc52, qc91, qc92, qc93
- Slayer’s Guides: sg01, sg02, sg03, sg04, sg05, sg06, sg07, sg08, sg09, sg10, sg11, sg12, sg13, sg14, sg15, sg16, sg17, sg18, sg19, sg20, sg21, sg22, sg23, sg25, sg26, sg27, sg28, sg29, sg30, sg95, sg96, sg98, sg99
- The Planes: tp01, tp02, tp94
- Travellers Tales: tt01, tt02, tt03, tt04, tt05
- Ultimate Handbooks: uh01, uh02, uh03, uh05, uh05, uh06, uh07, uh08, uh09, uh10, uh11, uh13, uh14, uh15
- Paizo (3e-pzo)
- AP01 – Rise of the Runelords (3e-pzo-rotr): b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, dice, map, pg
- AP02 – Curse of the Crimson Throne (3e-pzo-cct): b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, dice, map, pg
- AP03 – Second Darkness (3e-pzo-sd): b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, dice, map, pg
- AP04 – Legacy of Fire (3e-pzo-lof): b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, dice, map, pg
D&D 5th Edition (5e)
- Wizards of the Coast (5e-wiz): ai, bgda, cos, cosrv, dmg, dms, ggr, gos, hdq, mm, mtf, oota, ph, pota, scag, skt, tod, trot, typ, vgm, wdh, wdmm, xge
- EN Publishing (5e-enp): et1, et2, etaa, etaw, etrh, etrla
- Frog God Games (5e-fgg): bls, bp, bpa, fef, ra
- Goodman Games (5e-gmg): oar1, oar2, oar3, oar4, oar5
- Green Ronin (5e-grr): br, tcs
- Kobold Press (5e-kob): cc, dm, dm01, dm02, dm03, dm04, dm05, dm06, dm07, dm08, dm09, dm10, dm11, dm12, dm13 dm14, dm15, dm16, dm17, dm18, dm19, dm20, mhh, mw, tob, tob-pawn, tob2, tob2-lair, rob2-pawn
- Legendary Games (5e-leg): fkcc, pcc
- Rite Publishing (5e-rip): cod
- Web Resource (53-web): mph
d20 OGL (3eogl)
Pathfinder 1st Edition
- Paizo Rulebooks (pf1-rb): uc
- Campaign Setting (pf1-pcs): psfg,
- Chronicles (pf1-pch): grk, sos
- Companion (pf1-pco): dep
- Modules (pf1-mod): gh, mm
- Return of the Runelords (pf1-rr): b1
- Anniversary Editions (pf1): cotct-ae, rotr-ae, rotr-pg
- Legendary Games (pf1-leg): fkcc, pcc
- Midgard Setting (pf1-kob): mwb
- PFS Organised Play Intro (pf1-pso-intro) fs1, fs2, fs3
- PFS Organised Play Season 1 (pf1-pso-so1) 51
- AP05 – Council of Thieves (pf1-ct): b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, map, pg
- AP06 – Kingmaker (pf1-km): b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, map, pg
- AP07 – Serpent’s Skull (pf1-ser): b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, map, pg
- AP08 – Carrion Crown (pf1-cc): b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, map, pg
- AP09 – Jade Regent (pf1-jr): b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, map, pg
- AP10 – Skull and Shackles (pf1-sku): b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, pg
- AP11 – Shattered Star (pf1-ss): b1, b2
Pathfinder 2nd Edition
- Core Rules (pf2-rb): apg, b1, b2, cr, gg
- Adventures (pf2-mod): dd
- Lost Omens (pf2-lo): cg, gm, leg, psg, wg
- 1st Rules (br-mgp-1cr): rpg, pe
- 1st Adventure (b5-mgp-1ad): as, ft, ic
- 2nd Adventure (b5-mgp-2ad): ffs
- 1st Fact Books (b5-mgp-1fb): cr, ea, lnaw, mf, nr, tm, vs
- 1st Source Book (b5-mgp-1sb): ef, fm, gg, mtr, pc, ra, zo
- 2nd Source Book (b5-mgp-2sb): dr, ipx, lgfs, lgg, lgp, lgt, rim, sbm, sg
- 1st Time Line (b5-mgp-1tl): s2, s3, s4, s5, s6
- 2nd Time Line (b5-mgp-2tl): lr
- 2nd Ship Plans (b5-mgp-2sp): v3
Star Wars Fantasy Flight Games
- Beginner (sw-ffg-b): ar, ee, fa, fd
- Age of Rebellion (sw-ffg-ar): cr, cm, da, fb, fo, ft, gmk, le, oa, sr, st
- Edge of the Empire (sw-ffg-ee): cr, br, bcr, dc, eu, fc, fh, gmk, jy, ln, mp, nd, sm, sf
- Force and Destiny (sw-ffg-fd): cr, cg, dh, ev, gh, gmk, kf, kp, np, ss, up
- Setting (sw-ffg-s): aa, cr, dr, gg, rs, ss
- 2020-12-18 – Title changed from hw-pg to 0e-hw-pg.
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.