Star Wars – EDF-WEX
Equipment Data File – Weapon – Explosive and Others
An (R) next to the price means the item is restricted and cannot be bought on the open market, in which case the price listed is the closest average black market price.
These insidious devices are the size of frag grenades, but have a thermite-baradium casing surrounding a baradium core. On detonation, the resulting fusion reaction creates a particle wave that disintegrates everything in the blast. Most authorities ban thermal detonators because of baradium’s instability. One detonator can level a building.
Thermal detonators can be set to detonate on impact or set with a timer to detonate up to 3 rounds after being activated at the beginning of the attacker’s action. Some also have a pressure switch that, once pressed, detonates immediately upon release. Thermal detonators are so potent that their Blast quality affects everyone within short range of the original target.
Fantasy Flight Rules – Thermal Detonator
- Source: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook (sw-ffg-ee-cr165)
- Thermal Detonator – Skill: Ranged – Light, Damage: 20, Crit: 2, Range: Short, Encumbrance: 1, Hard Points: 0, Price: 2,000 credits (R), Rarity: 8, Special Qualities: Blast 6, Breach 1, Limited Ammo 1, Vicious 4
- When using a thermal detonator, any Dispair result on the check means the detonator explodes prematurely. The wielder takes full damage from the weapon unless he can perform an additional maneuver to try to get clear; in this case, he only suffers the Blast damage.
- Blast (Active) The weapon has a large spread, an explosive blast, or similar area of effect, like the detonation of a grenade or a warhead fired from a missile launcher. If the attack is successful and Blast activates, each character (friend or foe) Engaged with the original target suffers wounds equal to the weapon’s Blast rating (plus an additional wound per Success as usual).
- In a relatively small and enclosed area, the Game Master might decide that everyone in the room suffers damage.
- If the Blast quality doesn’t activate, the ordnance still detonates, but bad luck or poor aim on the part of the firer (or quick reactions on the part of the victims) means the explosion may not catch anyone else in its radius. However, the user may also trigger Blast if the attack misses, by spending (three advantages). In this case, the original target and every target engaged with the original target suffers damage equal to the Blast rating of the weapon.
- Breach (Passive) Weapons with Breach burn through the toughest armor, and are often heavy weapons or starship weapons.
- Breach weapons ignore one point of Armor for every rating of Breach (meaning they also ignore 10 points of soak for every rating of Breach).
- Limited Ammo (Passive) Some weapons fire particularly large or complex projectiles that cost significant amounts of credits, or are themselves a complete weapon that once launched is expended. A weapon with the Limited Ammo quality may be used to make a number of attacks equal to its Limited Ammo rating before it must be reloaded with a maneuver. In addition, each shot expends one of a limited number of rounds of ammo, which must be purchased or otherwise obtained before the weapon can be used. This also applies to grenades and other “one use” weapons which have the Limited Ammo 1 quality (here, the user is not “reloading” the grenade, but drawing another to use – but mechanically they are equivalent).
- Vicious (Passive) When this weapon scores a critical injury or hit, the character adds ten times the Vicious rating to the critical roll. With Vicious 3, for example, the victim adds +30 to his critical hit result.
Armour Modifications: Cortosis Weave, Enhanced Optics Suite, Heating System, Optical Camouflage System, Strength Enhancing System, Superior Armour Customisation, Thermal Shielding System, Vacuum Sealed
Modifications: Augmented Spin Barrel, Balanced Hilt, Blaster Actuating Module, Bipod Mount, Bowcaster Accelerator Enhancement, Bowcaster Automatic Re-Cocker, Filed Front Sight, Forearm Grip, Marksman Barrel, Mono-Molecular Edge, Multi-Optic Sight, Serrated Edge, Shortened Barrel, Spread Barrel, Superior Weapon Customisation, Telescopic Optical Sight, Tripod Mount, Under-Barrel Flame Projector (R), Under-Barrel Grenade Launcher (R), Weapon Harness, Weapon Sling, Weighted Head
Modifications: Rubat Crystals
Game Management: Annotated Stat Block, Character Creation, Choosing a New Campaign, Creating a Galaxy Map, Ending three year campaign, GM’s Luck Roll, Running Games over Skype, Tracking Experience, 2016 Campaign
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.