Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Adventures – Introduction to Ylaruam
Source: The Emerates of Ylaruam (0e-gaz-02)
This is a storyline is used as an introduction adventures for the Wrath of the Immortals based in the Emerates of Ylaruam.
- GAZ2 – The Emirates of Ylaruam (5th Edition)
- Group: Wednesday (D&D Week)
- Session 33 to 40 (8 sessions)
- 1st June 2016 to 7th September 2016
- Players: David B – Breeze (8), Jeff – Jerico (8), Jeremy – Al-sadan (7), Annette – Aramar (6), Nim – Gvacm (5), Nathan M – Tazeri (4)
This features in the following sections:
- Gazetteer – Ylaruam
- AC 1000-01-01 – Introduction to Ylaruam – The mini campaign introducing Ylaruam and its locations.
- Session Recordings
- AC 1000-01-01 – Introduction to Ylaruam – Audio Only Recordings
Notes of the Gazetteer Mini Campaign
This is the 2nd campaign where there were some new players and switched to what would become the standard for level advancement. Every time a game year rolled over the characters gained a level and magical items. It ran from the 1st of June 2016 to the 7th of September 2016 for a total of 8 sessions.
In addition to running from the gazetteer, I also had a book of adventures called B1-9 In Search of Adventure. This was an amalgamation of 9 of the Basic level adventures (levels 1-5). The basic level adventures fall into Tier 1 level play quite nicely and I have taking this as an adaptation going forward with the Gazetteer series of the base power level I am expecting from the adventure.
Six players, each having backgrounds that fitted into the setting or changing the setting slightly to allow for the backgrounds to work. Characters were to fit into an oppressive Arabian stylised environment with a warning on sexism and fire magic intolerance.
- Languages: Common is either Ylari, Alphatian or Thyatian
- Starting Location: an oasis near to the capital city of Ylaruam. They were to be inducted into national service to become citizens of the country.
As part of playing this setting I introduced coloured glass beads for achievement in the field for being woven into the characters hair as a form of rank, which was borrowed from my wife’s upcoming book. It worked well, as it was not documented anywhere the players could find and it became a desired component to obtain.
With having the characters serve in the army, I introduced a government requirement keeping the characters in the country for the first 4 years as part of the ongoing stories in the future GAZ series I had planned to run.
I was able to run another adventure from here as part of the storyline as there was one set in the desert of this country in a buried pyramid showing some forgotten gods. The adventure was called “B4 – The Lost City”
There also existed a cursed belt that changed the sex of a character making him female. So far the only female character played by that player. And in the old system was one of the worst curses in the game as it could only be reversed with a wish.
Interactions with Dragons showed that they were highly intelligent and community leaders rather than just monsters to destroy for experience. And once adventurers gained an alliance with the community they would be given an amulet showing their allegiance to them. Was also magical so there were some benefits to it as well.
Changes to the setting during the story:
- Brass and Blue dragon wyrmlings play in the deserts away from civilization under the protection of guardians. Silver dragons are the diplomats of the dragon realm, appearing as the shamans of the communities.
- Blue dragonborn periodically assault various outposts of the Ylaruam army to hone their skills.
- Ylaruam citizens are required to spend 4 years in the army to gain their citizenship, and outsiders the right to own property or reside in the country.
- Every game year provides equipment and a level.
- Genasi introduced to replace some of the human races, this would reduce the number of human races in the setting and provide a cultural identity for some of the Genasi sub-races.
- An interesting cursed belt that changes gender, in a setting where sexism was part of the story…
- 2021-05-09 – Moved the mini campaign from the sourcebook to its own post with extra information.
Introduction: (1/13) – Atruaghin Clans
(Tier 1 – Introduction 11/46)
(Tier 2 – Investigation 16/50)
AC 1005 (Year 6) – (10/17) – Rheddrian’s Investigation Bureau, Cult (of the Scarlet Moon), Mystery (in Aegos, in Sundsvall, in Thyatis City, of the Alphatian Duellers, of the Dead Elf, of the Great Gnome Caravan, of the Magic Mirror, of the Missing Pilgrims)
1007 AC (Year 8) – (1/12) – The Day Magic Died
Phase 3 (Tier 3 – War 28), Year 11 – 10, Year 12 – 5, Year 13 – 4, Year 14 – 4, Year 15 – 4
Phase 4 (Tier 4 – Conclusion 7) Year 16 – 3, Year 17 – 2, Year 18 – 1, Year 19 – 1, Year 20 –
Phase 5 (Tier 5 – tba)
Phase 6 (Tier 6 – tba)
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Artillerist (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.