Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Races – Elves of Darkness (Shadowfey)
NPC Only Race
Source: Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes (5e-wiz-mtf-35)
Also known as Shadow Elves.
These elves are pale, with white hair. Not much more is known about them expect they are the bad guys in the history books of the elven folklore.
There are the elves told to children as horror stories. They are tied to entropy, and wear colours of grey and silver.
- Ability Score Increase: Dexterity +2
- Alignment: Elves are Chaotic in general
- Size: Elves are between 6 and 7 feet tall. Your size is Medium
- Speed: Your walking speed is 30 ft
- Darkvision (Elven) you can see in dim light within 60 ft as it was bright light, and darkness as if it was dim light. You can’t discern colour in darkness, only shades of grey.
- Elf Gifts (Level Up) Choice of Mystic Rapport, Prescient Vision or Preternatural Awareness
- Fey Ancestry (Elven) Advantage on saving throws against being charmed, gaining an expertise dice, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
- Trances (Elven) You don’t sleep. Instead you meditate for 4 hrs a day and gain the same benefits as sleep.
- Starting Languages (Elven) You speak, read and write Common (Thyatian and Alphatian) and Elvish (Clan dialect)
- Character Options – Available to all Elven Subraces
- Feats: Weapons Mastery
- Height – men and women 6’ 6″.
- Complexion –
- Colouration –
- Known Locations – Shadowlands
- Traits – based on the Shadar-kai and meets any requirements requiring that race.
- Ability Score Increase: Constitution +1.
- Superior Darkvision: Your darkvision has a radius of 120 ft.
- Necrotic Resistance: You have resistance to necrotic damage
- Sunlight Sensitivity: You have disadvantage on attack and wisdom (perception) checks that rely on sight when you attack or try and perceive in direct sunlight.
- Blessing of the Raven Queen: As a bonus action, you can magically teleport up to 30 ft to an unoccupied space you can see. Once you use this trait, you can’t do so again until you finish a long rest. Starting at 3rd level, you also gain resistance to all damage when you teleport using this trait. The resistance lasts until the start of your next turn. During that time, you appear ghostly and translucent.
- Shadow Weapon Training: Proficiency with Rapiers, Scythe, Shortswords, and Hand Crossbows or four proficiencies of your choice with GM permission.
- Secret Crafts: (Starting) Your choice of starting secret crafts include: Darkologist.
- Dark Elf: Count as a Dark Elf.
- Evolution (1st Evolution): Counts as the Elven and Genasi races for the purposes of effects and magical items. As a 2nd evolution, there is a 25% chance for any offspring to be a Genasi.
Most Shadowfey Elves have the Darkness Aspected Traits, to select other elemental traits please gain the game masters permission.
Elemental – Darkness Aspected Traits
- Ability Score Increase: Charisma +2
- Touch of the Darkness (Darkness aspected) While taking a short rest in an enclosed space without light, you can spend 1 HD to roll two dice and take the results of both.
- Power of Entropy Darkness aspected) When using (or effected by) Necrotic or Psychic you add your proficiency bonus to the damage (or reduce damage taken) and cause your eyes to turn completely black till the start of your next turn
- Danger of the Competing Elements (Darkness aspected) When hit by both Energy (fire or radiant) and Time (cold or force), or both Matter (acid or poison) and Thought (lighting or thunder) damage types in the same round you are considered to have weakness to the second energy type. If you are hit by both energy types of Energy, Matter, Thought or Time in the same round you take additional damage equal to your proficiency. If you use an energy type against those with the same aspect, you have your attack, damage and saving throw reduced by your proficiency instead of increased by it.
- Dark Evolution: Counts as a Genasi for the purposes of using Darkness Genasi effects and magical items, but not as a Darkness Genasi. With every offspring there is a d20 roll to determine their elemental aspect:
- 80% chance of an Darkness Aspected child (1 to 16)
- 5% chance of an one of the other elements aspects. Air (17), Earth (18), Fire (19), Water (20)
- Character Options – All Darkness Aspected Sub-Races
Shadowfey Character Options
- Locations: Shadowlands
- Elven Feats: Elven Accuracy, Shadowlands Magic
- Bloodfey Class Options
- Sorcerer – Shadow Bloodline
Shadowfey Campaign Examples
Shadowfey Elven Racial Magical Items
Elves associated with Sacrifice and surviving underground, and are considered to be Darkness-Aspected. See all (Dark-Aspected Fey) items listed below as your relic magical items. You can also treat (Elven) as relic items as well. See Genasi Overview for (Darkchild) genasi items you can use is if you were a genasi.
- Dark-Aspected Fey – The items from these people have a tendency to deal with sacrifice and surviving underground style items.
- Elven – The items from these people have a tendency to deal with a nature and magic style. A Elf (and all Elven subtypes) can use the base elf relic trait of all Elven items.
- Genasi (Dark) – These are elemental darkness based items. A Dark-Aspected Elf can use the relic trait of the item is if they are a base Genasi, just not the Darkness aspect relic trait.
Designing the Shadowfey Elves
These are based on the Shadar-kai but not followers of the Raven Queen from traditional D&D game settings.
- 2021-08-18 – Update to classes and magical items.
Dragonkind Overview: Air (Crystalborn, Silverborn, Whiteborn), Darkness (Blackborn, Brassborn, Onyxborn), Earth (Copperborn, Emeraldborn, Greenborn), Fire( Amberborn, Goldborn, Redborn, Rubyborn), Water (Blueborn, Bronzeborn, Sapphineborn)
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.