Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara Immortals
Hel – Sphere of Entropy
Queen of Ice and Shadow
The Keeper of the Netherworld
- Patron – Reincarnation, Shadow.
- Patron and Title Keywords – Corruptors (Corruption), Elements (Cold, Darkness), Living (Death), Racial (Geansi (Darkness)), Title (Sphere of Entropy (Ancient, Hierarch))
- Ancient Ones pantheon only – Sphere of Entropy (Ancient)
- Entropy pantheon only – Sphere of Entropy (Hierarch)
- Hierarchs pantheon only – Sphere of Entropy (Hierarch)
- Alphatian Empire (Queen of Ice and Shadow) Due to Patron of Corruptors group (Corruption) and Genasi group (Darkness)
- Norse (Hel)
- Outcast (Erel) Due to Patron of Death
- Thyatian Empire (The Keeper of the Netherworld) Due to Patron of Corruption.
- Darkness (Queen of Ice and Shadow) Due to Patron of Darkness and Death.
- Forest (The Keeper of the Netherworld) Due to Patron of Living group (Death)
- Ocean (Queen of Ice and Shadow) Due to Patron of Cold.
- Shadowlands (Nyt) Due to Patron of Darkness
- Water (Queen of Ice and Shadow) Due to Patron of Cold.
- Entropy (Hel) Due to Member of Sphere of Entropy.
- Hierarchs (Hel) Due to Rank of Hierarch.
- Spheres (Hel) Due to Patron of Elements (Cold and Darkness)
Appearance: an extremely pale woman whose half face is featureless, while the other half is breathtakingly beautiful, clad in jet-black simple clothes.
- Outlawed in Northern reaches (not a player god)
Game Master Section
Hel – Hierarch of Entropy (36)
Sourcebooks: Mystara Players Handbook (mph96), Wrath of the Immortals Book One – Codex of the Immortals (wi-b1-22), Hollow World – Dungeon Masters Sourcebook (hw-dms103), Vaults of Pandius (vop)
- Alignment: Neutral
- Portfolio: Reincarnation, corruption, death, darkness, cold, increasing entropy and evil, evil shapeshifters, shadow and cold creatures
- Other Names: Erel, Kala, Nyt, Hiisi, Marzanna, The Keeper of the Netherworld, Queen of Ice and Shadow, Hala
- Artefacts: Throne of Hel
Allies of Hel
Assists (can also be assisted by)
Enemies of Hel
Opposes (can also be opposed by)
- Benekander (1) Initiate of Energy
- Ixion (36) Hierarch of Energy.
- The Korrigans (24) Empyreal of Energy
Sponsorship Hierarchy – Entropy
- Sponsorship of the Entropy Sphere
- Hel (36) Hierarch of Entropy.
- Thanatos (35) Hierarch of Entropy.
- Alphaks (20) Empyreal of Entropy
- Arik (18) Celestial of Entropy
- Harrow (11) Temporal of Entropy moved from Thought (11)
- Atzanteotl (31) Hierarch of Entropy.
- Bachraeus (19) Empyreal of Entropy
- Demogorgon (30) Eternal of Entropy.
- Loki (30) Hierarch of Entropy.
- Orcus (26) Eternal of Entropy
- Ouranos (34) Hierarch of Entropy moved from Energy (35)
- Pharamond (32) Hierarch of Entropy moved from Energy
- Qywattz (21) Empyreal of Entropy moved from Thought (20)
- Ranivorus (16) Celestial of Entropy
- Loup (9) Temporal of Entropy moved from Thought (9)
- Talitha (25) Eternal of Entropy
History: Hel is as ancient as the eldest immortal and does not remember her past (or at least she pretends not to). Maybe she is a raw force of nature or reached immortality so long ago that she forgot her origins, or maybe her patron (whoever it was) erased her previous memories for some unknown reason. During the centuries she interfered in Mystara’s history ever since its prehistory, with the only purpose of increasing disorder and evil to balance the lawful bias of the other spheres. The creation of the beastmen, her nefarious influence over the Antalians and their descendants all over the world, her patronage of the cold giants and the shadow takeover of Sind orchestrated by her evil shapeshifter followers are all steps taken to outweigh Law’s influence in the universe and bring about the Ragnarok, the twilight of the Gods which will give way to a new order based on Evil and Entropy (which she embodies).
Personality: Hel has plots going on all over the Multiverse and she’s very feared by the mortals who know her. Together with Thanatos, she’s the most powerful immortal of the Sphere of Entropy, and they compete fiercely for domination. She’s fascinated by the cycle of life and death, by the juxtaposition of Good and Evil. She does not believe that death shall prevail in the end, as Thanatos hopes, but rather she believes in the cosmic order which gives Law and Chaos their place and time in the cycle of things. She knows that Law’s predominance over the universe is nearing its end, and it’s just a matter of time before she achieves her final goal and brings Ragnarok to the Multiverse. After that, Entropy will rule and she’ll be the sole Queen of the universe. For this reason it is of paramount importance for her reincarnating evil beings into newborn creatures, to increase the chaos factor in the cosmos and speed up things for Ragnarok. Hel is particularly obsessed with shadows and cold energies, which she feels closely resemble her own soul. Also for this reason she’s got more followers in the areas where cold and darkness abound. Hel’s only ally is Loki, even if their cooperation is not constant. She’s Odin’s sworn enemy, as well as opposing the whole pantheon of the Aesirs. She agrees with Odin’s visions about the coming of the Ragnarok, but she does not intend to play along the role that Odin’s prophecy assigned her (she will be killed by one of Odin’s sons) and instead she’s trying to eliminate most of the Aesirs before the Ragnarok comes, in order to gain the upper hand.
Info on Hel to be discovered by Groups
- Norwold (Hala)
- Old Ones (Hel)
- Savage Coast (Marzanna)
- Serpent Peninsula (Hiisi)
- Sind (Kala)
- Traldar (Keeper of the Netherworld)
Classic D&D (BECMI) Stats
- Followers Alignment: Chaotic or Neutral; clerics must be Chaotic
- Favoured weapon: none (allowed all bludgeoning weapons)
- Clerics skills and powers: clerics cannot turn undead, but instead they can control them like lieges of 3 levels higher. Each time a cleric of Hel reaches a level which can be divided by 6 (6, 12, 18, 24, 30 and 36) he can choose one of the following powers (each one can be chosen only once):
- Resistance to energy drain: the cleric can avoid losing a level with a simple ST vs Death Ray (multiple levels drain require 1 ST per level drained)
- Shadow form: the cleric can become a shadow once a week (as per polymorph self spell)
- +2 bonus to all rolls to control undead
- +2 bonus to ST vs Death Ray
- Permanent Hide Alignment
- Resist Cold power (as per spell) once a day
- Fear power (as per spell) once a day
- Blight power (as per spell) twice a day
- Speak with the dead (as per spell) once a week
- Animate dead (as per spell) once a month
- Avengers skills and powers: control undead as liege of same level instead of turn undead, plus one of the powers in the above mentioned list chosen at random (roll 1d10).
D&D 3.5 Stats
- Domains: Entropy, Evil, Death, Corruption, Darkness, Cold
- Preferred weapon: heavy mace
Hel – Patron to Pantheon Links – This is to be the basis on who is in what Pantheon and why.
- Cold (patron) added to the Ocean and Water pantheon.
- Cold (patron) added to the Elements patron group.
- Corruption (patron) added to the Thyatian Empire pantheon.
- Corruption (patron) added to the Corruptors patron group.
- Corruptors (patron group) added to the Alphatian Empire pantheon.
- Darkness (patron) added to the Darkness and Shadowlands pantheons.
- Darkness (patron) added to the Elements and Genasi patron group.
- Death (patron) added to the Darkness and Outcast pantheons.
- Death (patron) added to the Living patron group.
- Elements (patron group) added to the Spheres pantheon.
- Genasi (patron group) added to the Alphatian Empire pantheon.
- Living (patron group) added to the Forest pantheon.
- Ancient (rank) added to the Ancient Ones pantheon.
- Hierarch (rank) added to the Hierarchs pantheon.
- Sphere of Entropy (rank group) added to Entropy pantheon.
- 2021-09-14 – Added in design changes and Patron to Pantheon links to show where this Immortal features in the Pantheon.
- 2021-08-19 – Update to allies and enemies.
- 2021-08-18 – Update to allies and enemies.
- 2021-08-15 – Update to allies and enemies.
- 2021-08-05 – Added in Atzanteotl, Ixion.
The Gods: The Immortals Overview,
Energy/Fire (31): Alphatia (16), Bartziluth (24), Bemarris (3), Benekander (1), Branden 11), Coberham (18), Fire Elemaster (33), Guidarezzo (15), Heimdall (30), Iliric (8), Ilsundal (34), Ixion (36), Madarua (26), Mazikeen (27), Mahmatti (14), Matin (19), Mealiden (23), Minroth (13), Ninsun (35), Patura (10), Pflarr (25), Rad (22), Rafiel (21), Raith (12), Rathanos (28), Razud (31), Saturnius (20), The Shaper (7), The Shining One (29), Zirchev (17), Zugzul (32)
Entropy/Darkness (35): Alphaks (20), Aracne Prime (6), Arik (18), Atzanteotl (31), Bachraeus (19), Bagni (24), Brissard (10), Danel (14), Demogorgon (29), Harrow (11), Hel (36), Hircismus (12), Idris (15), Jammudaru (5), Kallala (22), Kiranjo (7), Kythria (2), Loki (30), Loup (9), Macroblan (27), Marwdyn (4), Masauwu (28), Nyx (33), Orcus (26), Ouranos (34), Pharamond (32), Qywattz (21), Ranivorus (16), Ruaidhri (3), Saasskas (23), Slizzark (17), Stodos (6), Talitha (25), Thanatos (35), Yagrai (13)
Matter/Earth (34): Atruaghin (32), Buglore (9), Chiron (6), Diamond (21), Djaea (34), Earth Elemaster (33), Faunus (11), Forsetta (7), Garl (13), Ground (19), Hattani (15), Ilmarinen (20), Infaust (16), Ka (35), Kagyar (28), Land (27), Lokena (2), Lornasen (10), Maat (30), N’grath (29), Opal (18), Paarkum (8), Polunius (25), Pearl (12), Tahkati (17), Terra (36), The Eternal General (14), The Great One (26), The Korrigans (24), The Twelve Watches (4), Utnapishtim (23), Valerias (31), Wayland (24), Wogar (5)
Thought/Air (36): Air Elemaster (32), Arnelee (8), Asterius (28), Clebard (2), Cochere (12), Cretia (16), Diulanna (18), Eiryndul (20), Frey (13), Freyja (13), Gorm (22), Halav (17), Karaash (5), Kersy (21), Korotiku (32), Koryis (10), Malinois (15), Ninfangle (27), Nob Nar (5), Noumena (34), Odin (36), Orisis (19), Palartarkan (11), Palson (4), Pax (35), Ralon (9), Sinbad (25), Soubrette (24), Ssu-Ma (23), Tarastia (30), Taroyas (6), Thalia (31), Thor (29), Turmis (1), Urtson (7), Usamigaras (27)
Time/Water (33): Al-Kalim (3), Ahmanni (14), Bastet (22), Brindorhin (14), Calitha (18), Carnelian (11), Chardastes (24), Crakkak (10), Finidel (7), Fugit (30), Gorrziok (25), Hymir (13), Khoronus (36), Liena (1), Luca (12), Malafor (15), Oleyan (6), Ordana (31), Petra (17), Protius (29), Raven (21), Sharpcrest (19), Simurgh (19), Skuld (34), Tiresias (9), Tourlain (8), Tyche (28), Urd (32), Vanya (23), Vethandi (35), Water Elemaster (33), Yav (20), Zalaj (27)
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.