Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara Immortals
Zugzul – Sphere of Energy
Surt, Emir of Chill Fire, The Dark Fire
- Patron – Giant, Necromancy, Power, War.
- Patron and Title Keywords – Elements (Darkness, Destruction, Fire), Racial (Genasi (Darkness, Fire)), Title (Sphere of Energy (Ancient, Hierarch)), Warfare (Conquest)
- Ancient Ones pantheon only – Sphere of Energy (Ancient)
- Hierarchs pantheon only – Sphere of Energy (Hierarch)
- Energy pantheon only – Sphere of Energy (Hierarch)
- Alphatian Empire (Emir of the Chill Fire) Due to Patron of Conquest and Genasi group (Darkness, Fire)
- Outcast (Surt)
- Thyatian Empire (The Dark Fire) Due to Patron of Warfare group (Conquest)
- Ylari (Zugzul)
- Darkness (The Dark Fire) Due to Patron of Darkness and Destruction
- Fire (The Dark Fire) Due to Patron of Fire
- Radiance (The Dark Fire) Due to Patron of Fire
- Shadowlands (The Dark Fire) Due to Patron of Darkness
- Energy (Zugzul) Due to Member of Sphere of Thought.
- Hierarchs (Zugzul) Due to Rank of Hierarch.
- Spheres (Zugzul) Patron of Elements group (Darkness, Destruction, Fire)
Appearance: an imposing giant clad with a heavy red robe, with bronze skin and flaming eyes, his head completely shaven and tattooed with strange runes, wearing a golden amulet and gold bracelets and with a flaming double axe on his belt. He usually travels on a chariot pulled by two fire salamanders.
Game Master Section
Zugzul – Hierarch of Energy (32)
- Sourcebooks: Vaults of Pandius (vop)
- Alignment: Neutral
- Portfolio: power, conquest, fire and fire creatures, necromancy, darkness, war, destruction
- Other Names: Corona, Surt, The Dark Fire, Emir of the Chill Fire
- Artefacts: Amulet of Zugzul
Allies of Zugzul
Assists (can also be assisted by)
Enemies of Zugzul
Opposes (can also be opposed by)
Sponsorship Hierarchy – Energy
- Sponsorship of the Energy Sphere
- Ixion (36) Hierarch of Energy
- Coberham (18) Celestial of Energy
- Gorm (19) Empyreal of Energy moved to Thought (22)
- Heimdall (30) Eternal of Energy
- Ilsundal (34) Hierarch of Energy.
- Mahmatti (14) Celestial of Energy
- Ninsun (35) Hierarch of Energy
- Palartarkan (12) Temporal of Energy moved to Thought (11)
- Patura (10) Temporal of Energy
- Rathanos (28) Eternal of Energy
- Razud (31) Hierarch of Energy.
- Saturnius (20) Empyreal of Energy
- Tahkati (17) Celestial of Energy moved to Matter (17)
- Tarastia (30) Eternal of Energy moved to Thought (30)
- Raith (12) Temporal of Energy
- The Korrigans (24) Empyreal of Energy moved to Matter (22)
- Thor (29) Eternal of Energy. moved to Thought (29)
- Thalia (36) Hierarch of Energy moved to Thought (31)
- Usamigaras (27) Eternal of Energy moved to Thought (27)
- Zugzul (32) Hierarch of Energy.
- Slizzark (15) Celestial of Energy moved to Entropy (17)
- Ixion (36) Hierarch of Energy
- Confirmed not to have a sponsor
History: Zugzul is one of the most ancient living immortals, and like Ixion and Thanatos he doesn’t remember or simply doesn’t want to speak of his origins. He was always obsessed by the power of fire and the negative energies, and he is in constant competition against Ixion to rule the sphere of Energy. However in all these centuries he was never able to overthrow the ruling hierarch of Energy, and this burns him even more than any magical flame.
During the course of the millennia he tried very hard to expand his influence over the mortals, with devastating results for Mystara. His first attempt at creating a cult among the giants of Mystara aimed at reducing the influence of the sphere of Matter over them. He descended on Mystara using the mortal ID of a giant named Surt and soon he became the leader of an entire clan using both brute force and making promises to claim the better and richer lands of the southern giants with the power of fire. Thanks to his superior knowledge and magic, Surt revealed to his followers the secret of metallurgy and crafted better weapons and armours for his warmongering clan. Surt’s love for fire soon ignited all his followers, who started practicing mystical rituals to strengthen their bodies through fire. Finally he led his fiery army against the southern giants, challenging the rulership of the storm giants and beginning a long and disastrous civil war. After two centuries the civilisation of the giants fell in its darkest age and surviving the giants scattered to the four winds. Surt’s descendants gradually became the fire giants, while other clans became the modern cloud giants (followers of Brom) and the frost giants (followers of Hel).
After this coup, Zugzul tried to cast his shadow over the human populations without coming directly in the Prime, and he got the favour of the Afridhi. In short time, he led the Afridhi to threaten the Thonian supremacy in Skothar, but Blackmoor’s swift and unforeseen ascension ruined his plans. The Afridhi were badly beaten by the new Blackmoor Empire and were pushed out of its borders. Zugzul’s cult remained in power in the Afridhi civilisation until the Great Rain of Fire obliterated them as well as many other races.
Afterwards Zugzul focused his attention on the rising Nithian empire, where he was worshipped as Corona. There he started eroding Rathanos’s and Pflarr’s base of faithfuls, and later he allied secretly with Thanatos to corrupt the Nithian clerical hierarchy in exchange for power and knowledge over death and the dead. The Magian Fire Worshippers switched almost completely their worship from Rathanos to Corona and this contributed to bring the downfall of the Nithian empire. His cult was never completely forgotten by the descendants of the Nithians and he’s still worshipped by the deranged Magians in Ylaruam.
Personality: Zugzul is hungry for power and not much inclined to follow the immortal’s code of conduct. He always try to break the rules without getting framed, and since he’s so cunning and clever, most of the times he succeeds (his greatest plot was conspiring with Thanatos and Ranivorus to bring Nithia’s downfall without being blamed for it). He is also particularly obsessed by the rough power that lies in the elements, and he has based his philosophy on the worship of Fire and Shadow (his name in Afridhi means indeed Dark Fire or Chill Fire). He has also been fascinated by the dark side of life, that is undeath and necromancy, and his partnership with Thanatos only reinforced this aspect of his personality. He considers Rathanos more an embarrassing taunt organised by Ixion at his expenses than a real rival in fire magic, and he’s always been an enemy of Protius (since the two represent the two opposed elements). Although he continues to operate to further Energy’s goals, his methods have always alienated him Ixion’s support, and the ruling hierarch considers Zugzul a dangerous rival that could move the universal balance on Entropy’s side if he were to take his seat. Finally, he counts among his enemies the immortals Brom (patron of the cloud giants, Brom has not forgotten Surt’s part in destroying the giant civilisation) and Thor (another deity who despises Zugzul’s philosophy and his control over the evil fire giants).
Info on Zugzul to be discovered by Groups
- Nithian (Corona)
- Old Ones (Zugzul)
Classic D&D (BECMI) Stats
- Followers Alignment: Neutral or Chaotic; clerics must be Chaotic
- Favoured weapon: battle axe (allowed all bludgeoning weapons)
- Clerics skills and powers: +1 bonus to Constitution, resist fire power free (3 times a day), +2 bonus to necromancy and arcane spellcraft skills.
D&D 3.5 Stats
- Domains: Energy, Evil, Fire, Death, War
- Preferred weapon: battle axe
Zugzul – Patron to Pantheon Links – This is to be the basis on who is in what Pantheon and why.
- Conquest (patron) added to the Alphatian Empire pantheon.
- Conquest (patron) added to the Warfare patron group.
- Darkness (patron) added to the Darkness and Shadowlands pantheons.
- Darkness and Fire (patron) added to the Elements and Genasi patron group.
- Destruction (patron) added to the Darkness pantheon.
- Destruction (patron) added to the Elements patron group.
- Fire (patron) added to the Fire and Radiance pantheons.
- Elements (patron group) added to the Spheres pantheon.
- Genasi (patron group) added to the Alphatian Empire pantheon.
- Warfare (patron group) added to the Thyatian Empire pantheon.
- Hierarch (rank) added to the Hierarchs pantheon.
- Sphere of Energy (rank group) added to Energy pantheon.
- 2021-09-17 – Added in design changes and Patron to Pantheon links to show where this Immortal features in the Pantheon. Added two new names, The Dark Fire, Emir of the Chill Fire.
- 2021-08-20 – Added Branden to enemies.
- 2021-08-19 – Update to allies and enemies.
The Gods: The Immortals Overview,
Energy/Fire (31): Alphatia (16), Bartziluth (24), Bemarris (3), Benekander (1), Branden 11), Coberham (18), Fire Elemaster (33), Guidarezzo (15), Heimdall (30), Iliric (8), Ilsundal (34), Ixion (36), Madarua (26), Mazikeen (27), Mahmatti (14), Matin (19), Mealiden (23), Minroth (13), Ninsun (35), Patura (10), Pflarr (25), Rad (22), Rafiel (21), Raith (12), Rathanos (28), Razud (31), Saturnius (20), The Shaper (7), The Shining One (29), Zirchev (17), Zugzul (32)
Entropy/Darkness (35): Alphaks (20), Aracne Prime (6), Arik (18), Atzanteotl (31), Bachraeus (19), Bagni (24), Brissard (10), Danel (14), Demogorgon (29), Harrow (11), Hel (36), Hircismus (12), Idris (15), Jammudaru (5), Kallala (22), Kiranjo (7), Kythria (2), Loki (30), Loup (9), Macroblan (27), Marwdyn (4), Masauwu (28), Nyx (33), Orcus (26), Ouranos (34), Pharamond (32), Qywattz (21), Ranivorus (16), Ruaidhri (3), Saasskas (23), Slizzark (17), Stodos (6), Talitha (25), Thanatos (35), Yagrai (13)
Matter/Earth (34): Atruaghin (32), Buglore (9), Chiron (6), Diamond (21), Djaea (34), Earth Elemaster (33), Faunus (11), Forsetta (7), Garl (13), Ground (19), Hattani (15), Ilmarinen (20), Infaust (16), Ka (35), Kagyar (28), Land (27), Lokena (2), Lornasen (10), Maat (30), N’grath (29), Opal (18), Paarkum (8), Polunius (25), Pearl (12), Tahkati (17), Terra (36), The Eternal General (14), The Great One (26), The Korrigans (24), The Twelve Watches (4), Utnapishtim (23), Valerias (31), Wayland (24), Wogar (5)
Thought/Air (36): Air Elemaster (32), Arnelee (8), Asterius (28), Clebard (2), Cochere (12), Cretia (16), Diulanna (18), Eiryndul (20), Frey (13), Freyja (13), Gorm (22), Halav (17), Karaash (5), Kersy (21), Korotiku (32), Koryis (10), Malinois (15), Ninfangle (27), Nob Nar (5), Noumena (34), Odin (36), Orisis (19), Palartarkan (11), Palson (4), Pax (35), Ralon (9), Sinbad (25), Soubrette (24), Ssu-Ma (23), Tarastia (30), Taroyas (6), Thalia (31), Thor (29), Turmis (1), Urtson (7), Usamigaras (27)
Time/Water (33): Al-Kalim (3), Ahmanni (14), Bastet (22), Brindorhin (14), Calitha (18), Carnelian (11), Chardastes (24), Crakkak (10), Finidel (7), Fugit (30), Gorrziok (25), Hymir (13), Khoronus (36), Liena (1), Luca (12), Malafor (15), Oleyan (6), Ordana (31), Petra (17), Protius (29), Raven (21), Sharpcrest (19), Simurgh (19), Skuld (34), Tiresias (9), Tourlain (8), Tyche (28), Urd (32), Vanya (23), Vethandi (35), Water Elemaster (33), Yav (20), Zalaj (27)
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.