Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara Immortals
Rathanos – Sphere of Energy
Lord of Fire, Ra
- Patron – Power, Men, Nithia.
- Patron and Title Keywords – Elements (Energy, Fire), Racial (Genasi (Fire)), Title (Sphere of Energy (Eternal))
- Eternals pantheon only – Sphere of Energy (Eternal)
- Energy pantheon only – Sphere of Energy (Eternal)
- Alphatian Empire (Lord of Fire) Due to Patron of Genasi group (Fire)
- Makai (Ra)
- Fire (Lord of Fire) Due to Patron of Energy and Fire.
- Raiance (Lord of Fire) Due to Patron of Energy and Fire.
- Energy (Rathanos) Due to Member of Sphere of Energy.
- Eternals (Rathanos) Due to Rank of Eternal.
- Spheres (Rathanos) Due to Patron of Elements group (Energy, Fire)
- Assembly (Rathanos) Due to being an Immortal of Mystara.
Appearance: a 7′ tall humanoid made of blazing fire, without any distinctive features
Game Master Section – Rathanos
Rathanos – Eternal of Energy (28)
- Sourcebooks: Mystara Players Handbook (mph103), Wrath of the Immortals Book One – Codex of the Immortals (wi-b1-35), Hollow World – Dungeon Masters Sourcebook (hw-dms114), Vaults of Pandius (vop)
- Alignment: Chaotic
- Portfolio: Energy Life Forms, fire, energy, power, male supremacy
- Other Names: Ra, Lord of Fire
- Sponsor: Ixion
- Artefacts: Club of Rathanos
Allies of Rathanos
Assists (can also be assisted by)
- Eiryndul (20) Empyreal of Energy
- Elemaster of Fire
Enemies of Rathanos
Opposes (can also be opposed by)
- Ordana (31) Hierarch of Time
Sponsorship Hierarchy – Energy
- Sponsorship of the Energy Sphere
- Ixion (36) Hierarch of Energy
- Coberham (18) Celestial of Energy
- Gorm (19) Empyreal of Energy moved to Thought (22)
- Heimdall (30) Eternal of Energy
- Ilsundal (34) Hierarch of Energy.
- Mahmatti (14) Celestial of Energy
- Ninsun (35) Hierarch of Energy
- Palartarkan (12) Temporal of Energy moved to Thought (11)
- Patura (10) Temporal of Energy
- Rathanos (28) Eternal of Energy
- Razud (31) Hierarch of Energy.
- Alphatia (16) Celestial of Energy.
- Pharamond (34) Hierarch of Energy moved to Entropy (32)
- Mazikeen (27) Eternal of Energy.
- The Shining One (28) Eternal of Energy.
- Marwdyn (6) Initiate of Energy moved to Entropy (4)
- Saturnius (20) Empyreal of Energy
- Tahkati (17) Celestial of Energy moved to Matter (17)
- Tarastia (30) Eternal of Energy moved to Thought (30)
- Raith (12) Temporal of Energy
- The Korrigans (24) Empyreal of Energy moved to Matter (22)
- Thor (29) Eternal of Energy. moved to Thought (29)
- Bartziluth (24) Empyreal of Energy.
- Bemarris (3) Initiate of Energy.
- Madarua (26) Eternal of Energy
- Thalia (36) Hierarch of Energy moved to Thought (31)
- Usamigaras (27) Eternal of Energy moved to Thought (27)
- Zugzul (32) Hierarch of Energy.
- Slizzark (15) Celestial of Energy moved to Entropy (17)
- Ixion (36) Hierarch of Energy
- Confirmed not to have a sponsor
- Benekander (1) Initiate of Energy
- Rad (22) Empyreal of Energy
- Rafiel (21) Empyreal of Energy
- Branden (11) Temporal of Energy moved from Matter (3)
History: Rathanos was a wizard of the ancient Oltec civilisation, totally obsessed by the power of fire and the elemental plane associated with it. With the passing of years he became an unchallenged master of fire magic until he discovered the path to immortality and finally around XXV century BC ascended to the Sphere of Energy under the patronage of Ixion.
After becoming immortal he spread his teachings to all of the Jennite tribes living in Skothar, descendants of the Oltecs whom Rathanos belonged to in his mortal life. At the same time he took a particular interest in the ascension of the Nithian people, becoming one of the most important deities in their pantheon and their foremost patron together with Pflarr. During the centuries he managed to create a strong movement for male supremacy inside the Jennite culture and this put the matriarchal tradition of the Jennites in danger. This friction escalated in an open civil war that opposed the female followers of Tarastia to the male worshippers of Rathanos, and the strife caused the collapse of the Jennite civilisation, which reverted to Stone Age. This started the fire of misogynist hatred inside Rathanos’s soul.
Rathanos turned then his attention wholly on Nithia, but here Thanatos’s schemes made the Nithians turn to the wrong side and caused Rathanos to lose many of his followers to the rival Corona (the Nithian identity of Zugzul), who brought the Magian Fire Worshippers on his side. Rathanos chose to concentrate his blessings and protection only on the most faithful of his followers and managed to preserve Thothia (the Nithian colony on the Isle of Dawn) from the Entropic influence of Thanatos and his allies, saving it from the immortals’ cleansing and annihilation of the empire. Afterwards he joined Pflarr, Ixion and Valerias in recreating the Nithian Empire in a preserved place, and after choosing the most traditional communities among those spared they transplanted them in the Hollow World. Here the Nithians thrived once more and they prospered under the guidance of the pharaohs loyal to the ancient immortals.
Personality: Rathanos is obsessed with power and his misogynist view of the universe, which leads him to systematically oppose every female immortal just for the fact of being female (the same attitude is also present in many of his clerics). Rathanos’s only interest is the complete transmutation of all matter into energy, and in fire energy in particular. He is constantly searching for a spell that will allow his followers to turn into beings of pure energy, making them unbreakable and immortal. However up to now his researches have not produced the ultimate spell, and for this reason he continues to push his followers along this path, promising them that only this way they will achieve true immortality. If his plan will ever come to pass, he will create a nation of beings that will be born as mortals and can learn as fast as only mortals can do, but later will become eternal beings serving the cause of Energy.
Because of his character and goal he is in perpetual contrast with many female immortals (notably Tarastia) and with Zugzul, patron of fire giants and self-appointed Master of Fire way before Rathanos rose among the immortal ranks.
Info on Rathanos to be discovered by Groups
- Davania (Rathanos)
- Nithian (Ra)
Classic D&D (BECMI) Stats
- Followers Alignment: Neutral or Chaotic
- Favoured weapon: torch (allowed all bludgeoning weapons)
- Clerics skills and powers: clerics can cast Resist Fire and Produce Fire once per day for free (see spells with same name), +5% bonus to researching spells based on fire, bonus “Firebuilding” general skill
- Aveners skills and powers: permanent “Resist Fire” power (see clerical spell with same name) after sacrificing 1 point of Constitution in a ritual dedicated to Rathanos, +1 bonus vs ST vs Fire
D&D 3.5 Stats
- Domains: Energy, Chaos, Fire, Magic, Strength
- Preferred weapon: club (any)
Rathanos – Patron to Pantheon Links – This is to be the basis on who is in what Pantheon and why.
- Energy and Fire (patron) added to the Fire and Radiance pantheons.
- Energy and Fire (patron) added to the Elements patron group.
- Fire (patron) added to the Genasi patron group.
- Elements (patron group) added to the Spheres pantheon.
- Genasi (patron group) added to the Alphatian Empire pantheon.
- Eternal (rank) added to the Eternals pantheon.
- Sphere of Energy (rank group) added to Energy pantheon.
- 2021-09-20 – Added in design changes and Patron to Pantheon links to show where this Immortal features in the Pantheon.
- 2021-08-19 – Update to allies and enemies.
- 2021-08-06 – Updated the Allies and Enemies section.
The Gods: The Immortals Overview, Patrons
GM Section: Immortality Overview, Path Conqueror, Path Dragon, Path Dynast, Path Epic Hero, Path Paragon, Path Polymath, Quest Petition, Quest Meeting
Energy/Fire (31): Alphatia (16), Bartziluth (24), Bemarris (3), Benekander (1), Branden 11), Coberham (18), Fire Elemaster (33), Guidarezzo (15), Heimdall (30), Iliric (8), Ilsundal (34), Ixion (36), Madarua (26), Mazikeen (27), Mahmatti (14), Matin (19), Mealiden (23), Minroth (13), Ninsun (35), Patura (10), Pflarr (25), Rad (22), Rafiel (21), Raith (12), Rathanos (28), Razud (31), Saturnius (20), The Shaper (7), The Shining One (29), Zirchev (17), Zugzul (32)
Entropy/Darkness (35): Alphaks (20), Aracne Prime (6), Arik (18), Atzanteotl (31), Bachraeus (19), Bagni (24), Brissard (10), Danel (14), Demogorgon (29), Harrow (11), Hel (36), Hircismus (12), Idris (15), Jammudaru (5), Kallala (22), Kiranjo (7), Kythria (2), Loki (30), Loup (9), Macroblan (27), Marwdyn (4), Masauwu (28), Nyx (33), Orcus (26), Ouranos (34), Pharamond (32), Qywattz (21), Ranivorus (16), Ruaidhri (3), Saasskas (23), Slizzark (17), Stodos (6), Talitha (25), Thanatos (35), Yagrai (13)
Matter/Earth (34): Atruaghin (32), Buglore (9), Chiron (6), Diamond (21), Djaea (34), Earth Elemaster (33), Faunus (11), Forsetta (7), Garl (13), Ground (19), Hattani (15), Ilmarinen (20), Infaust (16), Ka (35), Kagyar (28), Land (27), Lokena (2), Lornasen (10), Maat (30), N’grath (29), Opal (18), Paarkum (8), Polunius (25), Pearl (12), Tahkati (17), Terra (36), The Eternal General (14), The Great One (26), The Korrigans (24), The Twelve Watches (4), Utnapishtim (23), Valerias (31), Wayland (24), Wogar (5)
Thought/Air (36): Air Elemaster (32), Arnelee (8), Asterius (28), Clebard (2), Cochere (12), Cretia (16), Diulanna (18), Eiryndul (20), Frey (13), Freyja (13), Gorm (22), Halav (17), Karaash (5), Kersy (21), Korotiku (32), Koryis (10), Malinois (15), Ninfangle (27), Nob Nar (5), Noumena (34), Odin (36), Orisis (19), Palartarkan (11), Palson (4), Pax (35), Ralon (9), Sinbad (25), Soubrette (24), Ssu-Ma (23), Tarastia (30), Taroyas (6), Thalia (31), Thor (29), Turmis (1), Urtson (7), Usamigaras (27)
Time/Water (33): Al-Kalim (3), Ahmanni (14), Bastet (22), Brindorhin (14), Calitha (18), Carnelian (11), Chardastes (24), Crakkak (10), Finidel (7), Fugit (30), Gorrziok (25), Hymir (13), Khoronus (36), Liena (1), Luca (12), Malafor (15), Oleyan (6), Ordana (31), Petra (17), Protius (29), Raven (21), Sharpcrest (19), Simurgh (19), Skuld (34), Tiresias (9), Tourlain (8), Tyche (28), Urd (32), Vanya (23), Vethandi (35), Water Elemaster (33), Yav (20), Zalaj (27)
The Pantheons, The Immortals, The Divine Features
Racial Pantheons: Atruaghin, Dragonkin, Dwarven and Gnome, Elven, Ethengarian, Giantkin, Halfling, Traladaran
Cultural Pantheons: Alphatian Empire, Land Guilds, Makai, Norse, Ocean Guilds, Outcast, Thyatian Empire, Ylari
Elemental Pantheons: Air, Darkness, Earth, Fire, Forest, Ocean, Radiance, Shadowlands, Sky, Water
Immortal Pantheons: Celestials, Elemental Rulers, Empyreals, Energy, Entropy, Eternals, Hierarchs, Initiates, Matter, Spheres, Temporals, Thought, Time
Special Pantheons: Ancient Ones, Assembly, Azcan, Davania, Hollow World, Myoshima, Nithian, Norwold, Old Ones, Olympian, Savage Coast
Library of Books
B5, d20 System, Pathfinder, SW
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Basic Links: Who Am I?, Home, Game Tools, Game Session Videos, My Campaigns, My Library, Site Map, Subscription Information
Game Systems: Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder 1 & 2, Shadowrun, Star Wars. Other Game Systems
Site sponsored by the author AS Hamilton (my wife) with her books available on amazon kindle.