Security – Doors, Windows and Locks
- Doors and Windows are common entrance and egress points not only for normal use but also for breaking-and-entering. Doors follow the standard rules for Barriers and are typically augmented with locks, alarms, and/or sensors. Windows tend to be mirrored in 2075 (preventing an outside spellcaster from targeting anything inside), though their tinting is often voice or wireless controlled. Transparent concrete is also used, providing all the lighting of glass with the barrier value of a concrete wall.
- Key locks are the simplest kind, involving the use of tumblers and metal keys or combination code dials to open doors instead of cards or some other device. They are also not in very common use due to reliance on more sophisticated means of security, but some places (like private safes or low end businesses) may still use them out of nostalgia, because they can’t afford better, or because rarity equates to better security. Defeating a key lock requires a Extended Test. Autopickers add their Rating in dice to this test: their Rating may also be used in place of Locksmith skill.
- Transponder-embedded keys contain a calibrated resistor that completes a circuit in the lock. In order to pick such a lock by hand, an electronics kit is needed to generate the appropriate electrical characteristics. This requires a successful Extended Test at the same time the lock is picked. If the same character is picking the lock and calibbrating the electrical feed, apply a -2 pool modifier to both tests.
- Powered magnetic locks, maglocks, are widespread in 2075 and come in a wide range of sophistication, Maglock “keys” can be physical (keypad, swipe card, proximity card, memory string), biometric, or any combination thereof. Maglocks are often accessible via the local network (wired or wireless) and may be monitored by a security hacker/rigger. Maglock systems often log all usages, keeping track of the time, date, and identity of each user. The first step to bypassing a maglock is to remove the case and access the maglock’s electronic guts. This requires a successful Extended Test. If all else fails, the case can be smashed or shot off; treat the case as if it has a Barrier rating equal to the maglock rating. Overzealous attempts to break the case may harm the electronics inside. Re-assembling the case afterwards requires the same test. Some maglocks systems come equipped with anti-tamper systems, rated between 1 and 4. In order to bypass the anti-tamper circuits, an additional Test must be made. If this fails, an alarm is triggered.
- Keypads utilize an access code (often different access codes for different users). Unless the code is known, defeating a keypad requires rewiring the internal electronics. This means cracking open the case (as with Maglocks) and then rewiring the circuits – another Extended Test. A maglock sequencer may also be used instead; make an Opposed Test between the sequencer and maglock ratings. If the sequencer wins, the maglock opens. (Note that the case must still be opened for a sequencer to be applied.)
- Cardreaders verify the authenticity of swipe cards or RFID proximity cards. They can be defeated using the same method as for keypads – by removing the case and tampering with the works. Maglock passkeys may also be used to defeat cardreaders and don’t require breaking the case open. If a valid keycard is acquired, it can be copied with a keycard copier in order to create a forged keycard. Make an Opposed Test between the passkey/forged keycard rating and the maglock rating. If the passkey/forged keycard wins, the maglock opens.
- Print scanners scan fingerprints, palm prints, retinal prints or even the pattern of blood vessels in the face or palm. One method to defeat a print scanner is to coerce an authorised user to apply their prints Alternately, a synthetic print glove-like membrane (a “sleave”) can be manufactured for fingerprints and thumbprints with a cellular glove molder (an authorised print is necessary to copy from). Retinal prints may also be duplicated with the retinal duplication cybereye accessory. If a fake print is used, make an Opposed Test between the duplicate and the maglock rating; if the fake wins, the maglock accepts it.
- Voice recognition systems require a vocal response from an approved user’s voice, usually within a certain amount of time. If the response is not given within the time limit, or someone not approved answers, the system sounds an alarm. Characters can only defeat voice recognition systems by “speaking” with the voice of an approved user – by using a recording, some other simulation, or the real voice. Voice modulator cyberware can also be used. An Opposed Test must be made between the voice recognition system and the equipment used to bypass it: whichever generates more hits, wins.
- Breath, cellular, and DNA scanners collect a sample of the user’s cells, either off the finger/palm, via hair suction, though exhaled particles, or something similar, and analyze the genetic material. In order to fool such a system, you need a sample of the correct genetic material, preserved in a specially formulated enzyme bath. The enzyme bath can be sythesized in a chemistry shop with a Extended Test.
- Facial recognition scanners use imaging lasers, thermographic, and/or ultrasonic waves to map a person’s face. These are one of the least intrusive, but also least accurate, biometric recognition systems. Facial recognition systems are useful not just for letting authorised people in, but also for identifying unwanted people and keeping them out. Prosthetic makeup and biosculpting can be used with varying degrees of effectiveness against facial recognition: make an Opposed Test against the Device rating. Apply a +2 dice pool modifier to the character if the system is picking the disguised character out of a crowd.
Storyline: Seattle Elections 2069
Gen 3 – 2050
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.