Shadowrun Part 3 – Changed History
This is a conceptual post about my journey building a Shadowrun campaign using the Genesys rule systems and how I am planning on introducing it to my players.
In the third part of these articles I am looking at history and incorporating more than one them into the ongoing narrative from other franchises.
Generational Storyline Concept
The Shadowrun world for this campaign will be a blending of the actual shadowrun universe with other settings I am familiar with. The concepts of Shadowrun will be there in each of the ages as will various other science fiction aspects.
Players can choose what they are willing to participate in, and which timelines they experience. What happens in the generation will effect those that follow, there will be planned reveals, and things that just happen. Actual historical dates will be taken from source material and integrated into the campaign timeline.
Gen 0 – The Preceding Age
This is the golden age of superheroes where they operate in shadows and are not seen by the public.
Events of Significance
- United Kingdom – A Meltdown in a nuclear plant, rumoured to be taken down by a supervillain.
- Israeli-Lybyan Conflict – A two year conflict between these nations.
- USA – Ney York city is levelled in a earthquake not felt anywhere else, rumours of it being taken out by a terrorist group, supervillain or alien invasion are rampant.
- France – A meltdown in a nuclear plant, rumoured to be taken down by a supervillain.
Gen 1 – The Magic Age
In 2020 the world changed, and magic returned to the world. Set in the years 2020 to 2035
- The characters born in the age of magic and live through the return of magic to the world.
- The magic was subtle and only a trickle and went unnoticed by most of the world.
- Across the globe children were being born who have aspects of the mythological Dwarves, Elves and Gnomes.
- The first dwarves, elves and gnomes are made public and the world deals with the emergence of dragons and other creatures of legend.
- Technology takes unexpected advancements and a research station from orbit strikes in the pacific bringing with it a new plague that causes what becomes known as goblinisation and the region is declared a hotspot too dangerous to life, with a military cordon set five miles around the island.
- Corporations beginning to rise above governments in dominating the world economy. The great ghost dance causing the split of the United States into separate entities. You hear about corporations experimenting on their own to make better workers.
- Space travel comes to the forefront with the exploration of the moon and first people to arrive at mars.
- Most hackers are using decks and not accessing it themselves.
- The age ends with the establishment of Zurich Orbital.
Changes to the Shadowrun Lore for my Setting:
- VITAS – Virally Induced Toxic Allergy Syndrome is another name for COVID and moved the date back to 2020 for the timeline, leaving everything before as if it was our world.
Events of Significance
- The Island – A Meteor strikes in the pacific takes out an unremarkable island and the area is cordoned off due to radiation and declared no mans land under the United Nation Act. This was considered the source of the awakening by the general public and tales of projects dealing with the source of this magic relate to a secret project known as “The Island”.
- The Awakening – Dragons appear, and children start to be born with distinct Elven and Dwarven characteristics. It would later be learned that they first appeared to be born up to ten years earlier than 2011, but this is the year the public became aware of it.
- France – A volcano Auvergne erupts, this is also linked to rumours of a Supervillain.
- Europe – A event called “Black Tide” swamps northern Europe connected to the north sea.
- Sites of Power – Across the globe various sites of power activate signalling the Awakening and return of magic to the world at large.
- Tibet – A Maya Cloud seals off the nation of Tibet.
- Australia – Mana Storms start to ravage the countryside.
- Great Dragons – Dunkelzhan emerges and provides the first media interview with Holly Brighton over sixteen hours of questions and answers.
- Corporate Court – The inter-corporate council is formed being the starting point of the corporate council.
- Europe – The Haparanda Anomaly zone forms in scandanavia.
- Corporate Land Act – in the US the President in his bid to “Make America Great Again” signed a bill to retake the indigenous lands in the name of various corporations who sponsored his appointment.
- East Coast Stock Exchange – The president moves it to Boston, among some controversy.
- SAIM – Sovereign American Indian Movement formed to fight corporate takeover of their lands.
- China – An earthquake hits destroying their nuclear stockpile, blamed on terrorists and rumoured to be linked to the Supervillains or emerging Superheroes.
- The Great Ghost Dance – After the loss of their lands, the shamans of the tribes of northern America unite and perform a dance that triggers global catastrophe of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. These occur in America, China, Europe and the ring of fire.
- China – Starts to fight amongst its internal provinces.
- VTAS/Covid – Spreads out from Asia and in the end kills off a quarter of the worlds population before it is dealt with. Its is blamed on a fallen piece of the meteor that landed in the pacific.
- Cyberware – The first cyberlimb is attached in a public display to a violinist virtuosa Leonora Bartoli who lost her limb in a bullet train incident.
- Treaty of Denver – Due to international pressure the US President is forced to sign a treaty signing over a large portion of the country to those he wronged, Canada also signed and this formed the Native American Nations or NAN. Denver is split between the signatory nations which also includes Aztlan.
- NAN – form a Sovereign Tribal Council to deal with tribal disputes connected to the different tribes making up the NAN.
- Japanese Imperial State – Helping South Korea take North Korea they establish themselves as a military power in the region again.
- Global Financial Service – Replaces the World Bank.
- Great Dragons – The Great Dragon Aden demolishes Tehran.
- Corporate Sovereigns – Shieawase becomes the first corporate granted sovereignship of their head office and certain lands they same as an embassy.
- Goblinization – Believed to be linked to the awakening, goblinisation is the process by which an adult mutates into a Troll or an Ork and termed the phrase metahuman, but these changed humans were seen a lesser class citizens.
- Super Heroes – The first recorded media appearance of Superheroes is confirmed by the media and rumours persist of a “Hero” serum that provides “powers” to those who use it.
- Trip to Mars – astronauts take the first live flight to mars.
- Cyberware – The first gen 1 cyberware makes it to the market. These replacement limbs were inelegant, obvious and prone to technical issues, but preferable to not having a limb in the first place.
- New York City – Levelled by a earthquake.
- Caribbean League – Formation of new nation.
- Corporate Court – Ares Industries (renamed Ares Macrotechnology in 2024), ORO Corporation (renamed Aztechnology Corporation in 2022), BMW, JRJ International, Keruba International, Mitsuhama Computer Technologies and Shiawase (all founding members of the court)
- Humanis Policlub – Founding of the Humans First movement.
- United Kingdom – Shrouded in a mystic phenomenon known as the mist.
- Japanese Imperial State – Launches its first satellites collecting solar power and transferring it back to the planet giving them a ability to provide power anywhere in the world.
- NAN – Mount Saint Helens between Portland and Seattle begins to randomly erupt again and again, while it continues to smoulder covering itself in a perpetual shroud of volcanic ash that makes the region a no-fly zone and it becomes unsafe to visit.
- First Step on another Planet – The first person to step on the surface of another planet is the female Brazilian Astronaut Carmelina who inspires others to study science.
- Corporate Court – Begins building a space station over the north pole, and begins lobbying the United Nations for permission to build another over the south pole.
- Lone Star – Due to a police worker strike in Seattle, the corporate security firm Lone Star takes over the police duties normally handled by the government and paving the way for privatisation of governmental assets.
- UEDF – A new military organisation appears attached to the United Nations, called the United Earth Defence Force and has been tasked with protecting the assets under the protection of the UN. This includes the south pole and areas of the south pacific. They are linked to a space station being built over the south pole.
- Cyberdecks – Generation 1 cyberdecks are released on the market, they are not portable, require a dedicated setup and specialised cyberware to take advantage of the technology linking the mind with the internet that they are now referring to as the matrix.
- China – The nation fragments from infighting tearing itself apart.
- Los Angeles – Major Earthquake
- Corporate Court – Renraku Holdings (buyout of Keruba International)
- Echo Mirage – A group a top hackers are joined together by the UEDF to become the overwatch of the matrix, and protect the cyberrealm.
- NAN – A group of elves from the Salish-Shidhe moved to the Mount Rainier area and declared themselves the Sinearach.
- Matrix Crash – A virus enters the matrix and starts to spread havoc, wiping data and destroying hardware. This leads to online services coming to a halt as all services are affected.
- Renraku – Changed its name from Keruba International.
Gen 2 – The Corporation Age
Set in the years 2035 to 2050.
- Corporations start genetically making their own workers, and augmenting their existing workers.
- The first forages into the solar system begins with structure being built on the moon and planned missions to other planets take place, including mining operations in the asteroid belt.
- The first of the virtual reality hackers appears.
- Technology advances into AI with rapid expansion into the existing global infrastructure.
- The first portable hacking rigs can run from a van.
- New power supplies emerge, using emergent technology taking leaps in new and unexpected directions.
- The age ends with the collapse of the World Wide Web and the rise of the Matrix in its place.
Events of Significance
- Aztlan – Unrest spreads through the nation.
- Indian/Pakistani War – Brief nuclear war between these two nations.
- UCAS – The remains of Canada and the US join together to become the United Canada and American States.
- Euro Wars – The start of the Euro Wars happens in Russia.
- Echo Mirage – The last of the virus is destroyed and the remaining members of the team disappear from the spotlight.
- Ares – This marks the change in direction of Ares and Damien Knight becoming the CEO.
- CAS – The Confederation of American States is formed succeeding from UCAS to form their own government.
- Euro Wars – An incident called Nightwraith where a series of stealth bombers takes out the communication network of all those involved in the euro wars.
- Alliance for Allah – new group forms in the arab lands and tries to take advantage of the events of Nightwrath and invades europe.
- Gemeinschaft Bank – Global Financial Services moves to the corporate court space station and is called Gemeinschaft Bank being the first corporation run from space.
- Amazonia – This new nation is created by the will of Three Great Dragons as they take over the amazon basin.
- Fuchi – Bought up the rights to the first cyberterminal designed by members of Echo Mirage.
- Tir na nog – Ireland is renamed into an elven nation.
- NAN – Aztlan resigns from the tribal councils.
- Corporate Court – Construction finishes on their space station over the north pole which they name Zurich Orbital, and the central location for their Corporate disputes to be dealt with.
- Tier Tairngire – The sinsearach rename their lands as The Lands of Promise and form a council of princes repulsing the NAN who did not like them succeeding from their tribal council.
- Corporate Court – Saeder-Krupp (reorganization of the BMW group)
- California Free State – Succeeds from all the surrounding governments to form it own nation.
- Euro Wars – The alliance for Allah were finally repulsed from europe.
- SIN – System Identification Numbers created to uniquely identify everyone, and quickly becomes the standard for IDs.
- Cyberdeck – Fuchi Industrial markets the first portable cyberdeck.
- Saeder-Krupp – Loftwyr obtains the majority share in the corporation owning 63 percent of the company. Former owner moves to Zurich Orbital.
- Sixth Republic – A new government is declared in France after overthrowing the current government.
- Corporate Court – Fuchi Industrial Electronics (by acquisition of JRJ International)
- Night of Rage – Many metahumans are killed in a violent protest with many hate groups targeting the metahumans in bloody acts of violence.
- London – Major chemical spill.
- Azanian Alliance – The southern african nations unite into a single government.
- Yamatetsu – A new corporation springs on the scene which is at the forefront of emerging technology.
- Corporate Court – Yamatetsu (by election) is added as a new seat to the corporate court. They also introduce the Business Recognition Accords.
- Africa – Zeta-ImpChem Polydopa neurotoxin scandal
- Universal Brotherhood – Opens its doors in the California Free State, a organisation dedicated to free healthcare and support services for those who are unable to care for themselves.
- Great Dragons – Dunkelzhan begins semi annual Wyrm Talk presentations.
- German Alliance – The founding of the German Alliance.
- Universal Brotherhood – Opens its doors in Seattle offering the same services.
- Renraku – Launches a series of programs called Semi-Autonomous Knowbots (or SKs)
Gen 3 – The Matrix Age
Set in the years 2050 to 2070.
- After the first big crash, the web is rebuilt as the Matrix.
- The building of autonomous robots for hard labour and dangerous conditions.
- A magic flare has causes another bout of goblinisation and the creation of new races.
- The establishment of a base city for a tether into space begins construction, while a asteroid from the belt is diverted to earth to serve as the terminus of the tether. Workers begin to settle on the moon in preparation for construction in orbit and the maintenance of spacecraft without having to land on earth.
- Hacking technology becomes more portable and can be carried by the hacker.
- With the rebuild of the matrix, the hackers have more power than before.
- The Age ends with the start of the construction for the tether.
Events of Significance
- CalFree – Massive Earthquake hits Sanfancisco.
- UCAS – Major oil spill by United Oil in Boston harbour.
- Caliphate of Arabia – Unifies all of the Arabian Peninsular.
- Technomancers – The first reported appearance of Otaku and discussion about a digital realm called Resonance.
- Dunkelzahn for President – A Great Dragon enters UCAS politics and creates a mystical event talked about for years.
- Corporate War – A two year conflict between corporations.
- Chicago Quarantine – Is officially lifted.
- Seattle – An AI called Deus appears.
- Death of a Corporation – One of the triple A corporation implodes, Fuchi Industries and sees the rise of new corporations.
- Ring of Fire – Erupts devastating the pacific rim and north America.
- Changlelings – A new surge of transformations effects the world bringing in shapeshifters.
- UCAS – First sightings of the Shedim.
- United Kingdom – Lyonness emerges.
- Year of the Comet – Many changes are wrought by the return of Hailey’s comet.
- Great Dragons – The arrival of Ghostwalker shakes up Denver.
- European Economic Community – Created by the joining of states and corporations.
- Japan – Crowns a new emperor, a child named Yasuhito.
- Indian Union – A new surge of transformations localised to India occurs.
- Yucatan – Signs a treaty to become independent.
- Death of a Corporation – Cross Applied Industries collapses.
- Horizon – The corporation joins the corporate court.
- CalFree – The deep Laguna manifests under LA>
Gen 4 – The Technomancer Age
Set in the years 2070 to 2090.
- The construction of the space tether and the preparation for settlement of other locations in the solar system begin.
- The building of midpoint and the corporate court provides access to space for colonists.
- Hackers have started to access technology without an interface.
- The age ends with the completion of the tether and the crash of the Matrix.
Events of Significance
- AI News – The AI known as :Al Pulsar” announces itself to the world through Horizon.
Gen 5 – The Beanstalk Age
Set in the years 2090 to 2110.
- Dealing with the repercussions of the second great crash and the rise of the Matrix 2.0.
- The operation of midway and the beanstalk dominate this age.
- Colony ships start to head out to pre-prepared locations around the solar system.
- The ability to use technology without an interface is just another variation on the magic of the world.
- The age ends with the launch of the first ship capable of making space jumps.
Events of Significance
Gen 6 – The Solar Age
Set in the years 2110 to 2130.
- Colonies are springing up all over the solar system as magic opens up portals to other realms.
- Hidden allies and foes become apparent as the world is forced to unite or fall.
- The age ends with the outbreak of war between humans and another species.
Gen 7 – The Interstellar Age
Set in the years 2130 to 2150.
- With a backdrop of war, characters get to experience life beyond the home system.
Gen 8 – The Galaxy Age
Set in the years 2150 to 2170.
- This age is yet to be discussed.
- This is the introduction of multisystem politics.
- Moved from a 15 year generation to a 20 year generation.
- 2022-06-12 – Adding in historical events and moving the generations around a little.
- 2022-05-28 – Linking in the timeframe of each generation.
- 2022-05-26 – Added in a bunch of extra detail including a new age, and a menu at the top of the page.
Building my own Shadowrun in Genesys:
Part 1 – Why choose Genesys
Part 2 – Setting, Races and Careers
Part 3 – Changes to History
Part 4 – Character Creation
Part 5 – Magic System
Part 6 – Hacker System
Part 7 – Player Races
Part 8 – Player Careers
Part 9 – Specialisations
Part 10 – Combat System
Part 11 – Social System
Part 12 – Vehicle System
Part 13 – Equipment System
References: Equipment, Vehicles
Storyline: Seattle Elections 2069
Gen 3 – 2050
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.