Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Spells – Level 2 – Boreas’s Breath
- 2nd Level Transmutation Spell (Rothenian) – Ritual
- Source: Midgard Heroes Handbook (mhh170)
- Secret Crafts: Skaldologist, Waterologist
- Spell Lists
- Design Details
- Casting time: 1 action
- Range: Touch
- Components: V, S
- Duration: Instantaneous
You freeze standing water in a 20-foot cube or running water in a 10-foot cube centered on you. The water turns to solid ice. The surface becomes difficult terrain, and any creature that ends its turn on the ice must make a successful DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or fall prone.
Creatures that are partially submerged in the water when it freezes become restrained. While restrained this way, a creature takes 1d6 cold damage at the end of its turn. It can break free by using an action to make a successful Strength check against your spell save DC.
Creatures that are fully submerged in the water when it freezes become incapacitated and cannot breathe. While incapacitated this way, a creature takes 2d6 cold damage at the end of its turn. A trapped creature makes a DC 20 Strength saving throw after taking this damage at the end of its turn, breaking free from the ice on a success.
The ice has AC 10 and 15 hit points. It is vulnerable to fire damage, has resistance to nonmagical slashing and piercing damage, and is immune to cold, necrotic, poison, psychic, and thunder damage.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, increase the size of the cube by 10 feet for each slot level above 2nd.
- Spell Lists – Secret Craft – Skaldologist
R – Ritual Spells.
- Cantrip – Claws of Darkness (mhh157), Drench (bls48), Frostbite (xge156), Hoarfrost (mhh174), Shape Water (xge164), Spectral Weapon (GM)
- 1st Level – Absorb Elements (xge150), Cloud Burst (bls33), Flurry (mhh168), Freeze Potion (mhh169), Frostfire (bls62), Gliding Step (mhh170), Ice Knife (xge157), Protection from Good and Evil – R (ph270), Tidal Barrier (mhh198)
- 2nd Level – Bead of Frost (bls18), Boreas’s Breath – R (mhh154), Elemental Horns (mhh165), Frost Snap (bls62), Pass through Element (mgp1008), Snilloc’s Snowball Swarm (xge165)
- 3rd Level – Awaken Element (mgp1008), Dispel Magic – R (ph234), Elemental Shape (mgp1008), Freezing Fog (mhh169), Frost Shards (bls62), Frozen Razors (mhh169), Hard Water Blast (bls66), Protection from Energy (ph270), Riptide (mhh189), Tidal Wave (xge168), Wall of Water (xge170), Water Breathing
- 4th Level – Brittling (mhh154), Conjure Minor Elementals (ph226), Control Water, Elemental Bane (xge155), Siphon Elemental Lifeforce (mph1008), Watery Sphere (xge170)
- 5th Level – Conjure Elemental (ph225), Drown*, Frostbite (mhh169), Maelstrom (xge160), Magic Circle against Energy – R (ea08)
- 6th Level – Change Dust to Water (bls28), Cold Fog (bls33), Curse of Boreas (mhh160), Drown (mhh164), Ebon Water (bls50), Elemental Cloak (Ice) (bls50), Elemental Fabrication – R (ea08), Elemental Scimitar (bls51), Icy Manipulation (mmh175), Investiture of Element (xge159), Primordial Ward (xge163), Razor Rain*, Suffocate (ea08), Torrent (bls117)
- 7th Level – Blizzard (mhh153), Create Iceberg (bls36), Deep Freeze (bls41), Glacial Fog (mwb428), Ice Soldiers (mwb429), Triumph of Ice (mhh199)
- 8th Level – Abi-Daizim’s Horrid Wilting (xge150), Control Weather (ph228), Elemental Infusion (bls51), Glacial Cascade (mhh170), Ice Geyser (bls73), Tundra-Touched (mwb435), Whirlpool*
- 9th Level – Circle of Devastation (mhh157), Gate (ph244), Rimeshatter (bls100)
Design changes for Spells
Original Spell Lists: Rothenian, Cleric, Druid, Ranger, Wizard
- 2021-10-06 – Clean up of extra space not needed.
D&D 5E Rules Reference
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.