Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Adventures AC 1016 – Relic Hunter – Lizardskin Bed
The Lizardskin Bed
Source: The Emirates of Ylaruam (gaz2)
This adventure was originally part of the Basic Adventures section of Gazetteer 2 – The Emirates of Ylaruam which I modified and one of the changes to be investigated as part of the Wrath of the Immortals storyline.
This features in the following sections:
- Gazetteer – Ylaruam
- AC 1016 – Relic Hunter – Lizardskin Bed. A chance to find a magical treasure.
The Original Concept
A surface of sewn lizardskin stretched over an ancient wooden frame inscribed with curious runic engravings and glyphs. Crafted by a lizardman priest of an ancient lizardman race, this item is buried in the sacred tomb beneath the waters of the Well of the Faithful Prophet in Kirkuk. (See Lizardman Undead, The Poisoned Well, and The Enchanted Cucurbits of Al-Kalim.) Through this device, the lizardman priesthood demonstrated their alliance against the assaults of Death, establishing their divine prerogatives while maintaining their control over the rulers of the lizardman empire.
- Magnitude: Lesser Artifact
- Sphere Powers: Entropy (Death) PP 12
- D1 – Cure Disease – 2 PP
- D1 – Cure Wounds, Serious – 2 PP
- D1 – Raise Dead – 6 PP
- A2 – Charm Person – 2 PP
- Activation: To activate, the blood of a reptile must be poured on the bed.
- Use of Powers: Once activated, the bed will automatically cure a diseased being, heal an injured being, or raise a dead being. The being is also automatically charmed and subjected to the will of the owner of the bed.
- Those cured, healed, or raised by the bed will begin to become a lizardman in three months. Process is gradual, may be arrested by a remove curse, and removed by a dispel magic (versus a 20th level caster).
- The owner of the bed similarly begins to become a lizardman when the bed is first used. He also begins to lose his memory of the present and begins to assume the identity of the lizardman wizard who originally created the artifact. This process may be arrested or removed as above, but the owner saves vs. the remove curse and dispel magic as a 20th level magic user. The owner does not want the transformation halted or removed, and resists any such attempts with all his abilities.
- Penalties: The owner cannot recall human speech or use spell-casting or combat abilities during trances. Trances last 1d6 turns and are triggered by any hit point loss. To resist the trance, the owner may save vs. spells in the first month of transformation, with a -4 penalty in the second month, and a -8 penalty in the third month.
Staging: This artifact is most likely of interest to evil magic users who are not aware of its undesirable effects. Foreign magic-users familiar with the primitive lizardmen ancestors still living in the D&D® world may have learned of this artifacts presence through ancient lizardman racial legends. If the lizardmen are awakened from their deathsleep, the lizardman undead wizard who originally created the object may try to raise himself and his followers from death using the Lizardskin Bed.
- Adventure Level: 25-36, Master (converts to 16 to 20)
- Topic: Magical Treasure that is different every year.
- Interesting Features: A treasure that compels you to walk to a lost city.
- Campaign Hook: A chance to discover a lost city.
Note: See Ylaruam Adventures relating to Relic Hunter details.
Not run as part of the campaign.
Can be run anywhere in the second five years of the campaign from year Six to Year Ten, and can be adapted to run at other levels as an ongoing adventure option.
More to be written about the outcome.
(Tier 1 – Introduction 11/46)
(Tier 2 – Investigation 16/50)
AC 1005 (Year 6) – (12/19) – Rheddrian’s Investigation Bureau, Cult (of the Scarlet Moon, of the Valley of Death), Mystery (in Aegos, in Sundsvall, in Thyatis City, of the Alphatian Duellers, of the Dead Elf, of the Great Gnome Caravan, of the Magic Mirror, of the Missing Pilgrims), Relic Hunter (Dinosaurs)
Phase 3 (Tier 3 – War 28), Year 11 – 10, Year 12 – 5, Year 13 – 4, Year 14 – 4, Year 15 – 4
Phase 4 (Tier 4 – Conclusion 7) Year 16 – 3, Year 17 – 2, Year 18 – 1, Year 19 – 1, Year 20 –
Phase 5 (Tier 5 – tba)
Phase 6 (Tier 6 – tba)
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.