Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Weapons Mastery – Trident
A trident is a three-pronged spear. It is used for spear fishing and historically as a polearm. The trident is the weapon of Poseidon, or Neptune, the God of the Sea in classical mythology.
- 5E Stats – One Handed or Versatile Martial Weapon, Costs 6 gp and has a weight of 4 lb.
- Weapon Options: Armour-Piercing Thrust, Disarming Parry, Fearsome Accuracy, Grinding Halt, Phalanx, Pinning Hit, Vault
Weapons Mastery – Trident
- Trident Attack: (Non-Proficient) + to hit, Thrown range (-/50), one target
- Hit: 1d4+mod piercing.
- Trident Attack: (Proficient) + to hit, Thrown range (20/60), Versatile, one target
- Hit (1 Hand): 2d4+mod piercing.
- Hit (2 Hands): 2d6+mod piercing
- Trident Attack: (Skilled) + to hit, Thrown range (25/70), Versatile, one target
- Hit (1 Hand): 3d4+mod piercing.
- Hit (2 Hands): 3d6+mod piercing
- Crit: Skewer – Leave trident in wound with Str check vs (Base DC) to remove.
- Trident Attack: (Expert) + to hit, Thrown range (30/80), Versatile, one target
- Hit (1 Hand): 2d6+mod piercing.
- Hit (2 Hands): 2d8+mod piercing
- Crit: Skewer – Leave trident in wound with Str check vs (Base DC+1) to remove.
- Trident Attack: (Master) + to hit, Thrown range (35/90), Versatile, one target
- Hit (1 Hand): 3d6+mod piercing.
- Hit (2 Hands): 3d8+mod piercing
- Crit: Skewer – Leave trident in wound with Str check vs (Base DC+2) to remove.
- (Trident Attack: Grand Master) + to hit, Thrown range (40/100), Versatile, one target
- Hit (1 Hand): 2d8+mod piercing.
- Hit (2 Hands): 2d10+mod piercing
- Crit: Skewer – Leave trident in wound with Str check vs (Base DC+3) to remove.
Weapon Qualities – Trident
- Base DC (+number): Some of the effects produced by weapons masters has a saving throw to resist. This saving throw is calculated as 8 plus the ability modifier used in the attack roll. This is sometimes increased as you gain skill with the weapon, gain the Weapon Mastery feat or the fighter archetype.
- Disarm: As a bonus action, if you have struck an opponent this weapon this round, you can attempt to disarm your opponent with the opponent making a Dex save vs Base DC. If they roll a natural 20, you are disarmed instead.
- Skewer – Can choose to leave weapon in wound causing 1d6 piercing damage at the start of the round. Can be removed with a Strength check (Base DC) causing 1d6 slashing damage.
- Thrown: If a weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon to make a ranged attack. If the weapon is a melee weapon, you use the same ability modifier for that attack roll and damage roll that you would use for a melee attack with the weapon. For example, if you throw a handaxe, you use your Strength, but if you throw a dagger, you can use either your Strength or your Dexterity, since the dagger has the finesse property.
Weapon Options – Trident
- Armour-Piercing Thrust: As an action, you may pinpoint a weak point of an opponent’s armour and make a single attack with your weapon against it. This attack pierces armour, treating the target’s AC as 10 + their Dexterity modifier. On a hit, this attack does normal weapon damage.
- Disarming Parry: When a creature attacks you with a weapon, you may use your reaction to catch their weapon in yours and disarm them. Make an attack roll with your weapon. If the result of this roll equals or exceeds their attack roll, their attack misses and they must succeed on a Strength saving throw or drop their weapon.
- Fearsome Accuracy. As an attack, you may throw your weapon at a creature at the very limit of your range. Make an attack roll against a creature exactly at you range maximum. If the attack hits, the creature takes normal damage and must make a Wisdom saving throw (against your Base DC). On a failure, the creature becomes frightened of you for 1 minute.
- Grinding Halt: Whenever you must make a Strength saving throw to avoid being moved against your will, you can dig the weapon into the ground as a reaction. Roll your weapons damage and add the number rolled to the saving throw. If the effect pushing you does not have a saving throw, you move 5 feet fewer.
- Phalanx: If you are adjacent to at least two other phalanx trained and equipped allies, your attacks attacks have advantage.
- Pinning Hit: When you make a melee or ranged attack with this weapon, you may attempt to pin a creature up to one size larger to a wall or surface by catching their clothing with the weapons edge or point. This can be used against creatures without clothing at the GM’s discretion. If you hit, the target must make a Strength saving throw vs your Base DC. On a failure the creature is reduced to zero movement and can use an action on their turn to make another Strength saving throw.
- Vault: You can use your weapon as an action to double the length of your long jump, allowing you to leap a number of feet up to twice your Strength score (this jump is part of your movement). If you land adjacent to a creature at the end of this jump, you can make a single attack with your weapon as part of this action.
Design Details on building Weapons Mastery
I have managed to even out most of the damage, but also increased it in this case as it is working better with my magical weapon enhancment changes.
- 2021-08-25 – Update to the layout and menu.
Simple 2H: Greatclub, Scythe
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.