Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Weapons Mastery – Longbow
A longbow is a type of bow that is tall – roughly equal to the height of the user – allowing the archer a fairly long draw. A longbow is not significantly recurved. Its limbs are relatively narrow so that they are circular or D-shaped in cross section.
- 5E Stats – Ranged Martial Weapon, Costs 50 gp and has a weight of 2 lb.
- Weapon Options: Distracting Shot, Patient Shot, Pinning Shot, Power Shot, Shrapnel Shot, Staggering Shot, Trick Shot
Weapons Mastery – Longbow
- Longbow Attack: (Non-Proficient) + to hit, Ammunition range (-/600 ft), Heavy, Two-Handed, one target
- Hit: 1d6+mod piercing.
- Longbow Attack: (Proficient) + to hit, Ammunition range (160/620 ft), one target
- Hit: 2d6+mod piercing.
- Longbow Attack: (Skilled) + to hit, Ammunition range (170+Delay/640 ft), one target
- Hit: 3d6+mod piercing.
- (B) AC Defence (+1/1) – You gain an armour class bonus, for a set number of attacks each round.
- Crit within 160: Delay (Base DC) Con save or opponent you have struck this round is stunned until start of their turn, or a critical fail until their next turn.
- Longbow Attack: (Expert) + to hit, Ammunition range (180+Delay/660 ft), one target
- Hit: 2d8+mod piercing.
- (B) AC Defence (+1/2) – You gain an armour class bonus, for a set number of attacks each round.
- Crit within 180: Delay (Base DC) Con save or opponent you have struck this round is stunned until start of their turn, or a critical fail until their next turn.
- Longbow Attack: (Master) + to hit, Ammunition range (190+Delay/680 ft), one target
- Hit: 2d10+mod piercing.
- (B) AC Defence (+1/3) – You gain an armour class bonus, for a set number of attacks each round.
- Crit within 190: Delay (Base DC) Con save or opponent you have struck this round is stunned until start of their turn, or a critical fail until their next turn.
- Longbow Attack: (Grand Master) + to hit, Ammunition range (200+Delay/700 ft), one target
- Hit: 2d12+mod piercing.
- (B) AC Defence (+1/4) – You gain an armour class bonus, for a set number of attacks each round.
- Crit within 200: Delay (Base DC) Con save or opponent you have struck this round is stunned until start of their turn, or a critical fail until their next turn.
Weapon Qualities – Longbow
- AC Defence (+ AC bonus/number of attacks): If you spend your bonus action this round on this quality you gain a bonus for your armour class for the next indicated number of attacks.
- Ammunition. You can use a weapon that has the ammunition properly lo make a ranged attack only if you have ammunition lo fire from the weapon. Each time you attack with the weapon, you expend one piece of ammunition. Drawing the ammunition from a quiver, case, or other container is part of the attack.
- Ammunition (additional effects for proficient). At the end of the battle, you can recover half your expended ammunition by taking a minute lo search the battlefield. If you use a weapon that has the ammunition property to make a melee attack, you treat the weapon as an improvised weapon. A sling must be loaded to deal any damage when used in this way.
- Base DC (+number): Some of the effects produced by weapons masters has a saving throw to resist. This saving throw is calculated as 8 plus the ability modifier used in the attack roll. This is sometimes increased as you gain skill with the weapon, gain the Weapon Mastery feat or the fighter archetype.
- Delay: On a Crit, the target must make a Con save vs Base DC. If they fail, they are stunned until the start of their turn, on a critical fumble they are stunned until their next turn.
- Heavy: Attacks are at disadvantage on attack rolls with heavy weapons. A heavy weapon’s size and bulk make it too large for a non-proficient creature to use effectively.
- Heavy (additional effects for proficient): Small creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls with heavy weapons. A heavy weapon’s size and bulk make it too large for a Small creature to use effectively.
- Two-Handed: This weapon requires two hands to use.
Weapon Options – Longbow
- Distracting Shot: As an action, make a single attack with your ranged weapon. You intentionally miss your target but give an ally the chance to attack while it is distracted. The next attack roll against the target has advantage if it is made before the beginning of the target’s next turn.
- Patient Shot. You carefully align your ranged weapon’s sites over your target. As an action in a turn that you have not moved, you may make a single ranged attack with advantage.
- Pinning Hit: When you make a melee or ranged attack with this weapon, you may attempt to pin a creature up to one size larger to a wall or surface by catching their clothing with the weapons edge or point. This can be used against creatures without clothing at the GM’s discretion. If you hit, the target must make a Strength saving throw vs your Base DC. On a failure the creature is reduced to zero movement and can use an action on their turn to make another Strength saving throw.
- Power Shot. When you make an attack with a ranged weapon, you may take a penalty on your attack roll equal to your Strength modifier. This penalty must be applied before the roll is made. If the attack hits, it deals additional damage equal to twice your Strength modifier. If the attack roll is a critical fumble your weapon is broken.
- Shrapnel Shot. As an action, make a single attack with your ranged weapon against an unattended object. The attack deals double damage to the target. If the object is destroyed, it explodes into a cloud of shrapnel. Choose one of the following options:
- -> Creatures within 5 feet of the object must make a Dexterity saving throw, taking 1d6 piercing damage on a failure.
- -> A creature adjacent to the object must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the creature is blinded until the beginning of your next turn.
- Staggering Shot. As an action while wielding a ranged weapon, you may make a single ranged weapon attack. If this attack hits, the enemy takes full weapon damage and must make a Constitution saving throw (vs Base DC). On a failure, the target’s speed is reduced to 0 until the end of its next turn.
- Trick Shot. As an action, make a single stylish bow attack with disadvantage. If the lower roll would also hit the target, you automatically score a critical hit.
Design Details on building Weapons Mastery
I have managed to even out most of the damage, but also increased it in this case as it is working better with my magical weapon enhancment changes.
- 2021-08-25 – Update to layout and menu.
Simple 2H: Greatclub, Scythe
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.