Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Spells – Level 6 – Suffocate
- 6th Level Necromancy
- Secret Crafts: Airologist, Bloodologist, Waterologist
- Casting time: 1 action
- Range: 90 ft
- Components: V, S, F (a gag made of cloth)
- Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute.
- You draw the air (or water) out of a target opponents’ lungs. They must make a Constitution saving throw or begin to suffocate. A successful save takes 1d6 damage, if reduced to zero hit points they are considered to be unconscious and to have failed the saving throw. The target must make the save every round until concentration is broken or they die.
On a failure, a creature is reduced to zero hit points, and each round an unconscious character automatically fails it death save.
Creatures that do not breathe are unaffected by this spell. Creatures who breathe water are affected
Available Spell Lists
- Cantrip – Booming Blade (scag142), Breeze (mgp1008), Fist of Air (br207), Gust (xge157), Headwind (bls68), Lightning Lure (scag143), Shocking Grasp (ph275), Spectral Weapon (GM), Thunder Bolt (mhh197), Thunderclap (xge168), Wind Lash (mhh202)
- 1st Level – Absorb Elements (xge150), Affect Normal Fog (bls11), Circle of Wind – R (mhh157), Protection from Good and Evil – R (ph270), Wind Tunnel (mhh203), With the Wind – R (bls129)
- 2nd Level – Air Forge – R (bls12), Charged Missile (bls29), Dust Devil (xge154), Elemental Horns (mhh165), Gust of Wind (ph248), Pass through Element (mgp1008), Reverberate (mhh188), Rolling Thunder (mhh189), Skywrite – R (xge165), Warding Wind (xge170), Wind Armour (mgp1008)
- 3rd Level – Air Breathing – R (bls12), Air Bridge – R (bls12), Awaken Element – R (mgp1008), Call Lightning (ph220), Charged Touch (bls29), Dispel Magic – R (ph234), Electromagnetic Storm (bls50), Elemental Shape (mgp1008), Fly (ph243), Greater Thunderclap (mhh197), Perun’s Doom (mhh185), Protection from Energy (ph270)
- 4th Level – Air Sphere – R (bls13), Conjure Minor Elementals (ph226), Elemental Bane (xge155), Erode (mgp1008), Siphon Elemental Lifeforce (mph1008), Storm Sphere (xge166)
- 5th Level – Conjure Elemental (ph225), Control Winds – R (xge152), Inner Storm (bls76), Magic Circle against Energy – R (ea08), Wind Bindings (ea08)
- 6th Level – Elemental Fabrication – R (ea08), Elemental Scimitar (bls51), Investiture of Element (xge159), Lightning Storm (bls81), Lightning Wheel (bls82), Primordial Ward (xge163), Suffocate (ea08)
- 7th Level – Ebon Lightning (bls50), Electrical Storm (bls50), Vacuum Slash (mgp1008), Whirlwind (xge171)
- 8th Level – Control Weather (ph228), Elemental Infusion (bls51)
- 9th Level – Circle of Devastation (mhh157), Gate (ph244)
- Spell List – Secret Craft – Bloodologist
- Cantrip – Blood Tide (mwb422)
- 1st Level – Bloody Hands (mwb422), Bloody Smite (mwb423), Chill Blood (ea02-22), Find Kin – R ( mwb428), Stanch (mwb435), Weapon of Blood (mwb437), Wound (ea02-33
- 2nd Level – Bleeding Wound (ea02-21), Blood Bath (bls23), Blood Geyser (bls23), Blood Lure (mwb422), Bloodshot (mwb422), Caustic Blood (mwb423), Vomit Tentacles (mwb436)
- 3rd Level – Blood Armour (mwb421), Cause the Bends (bls28), Hemophilia (bls69), Vital Mark (mwb436), Weeping Wounds (bls127), Whirlwind of Gore (bls128)
- 4th Level – Bladelust (bls21), Blood and Steel (mwb421), Blood Spoor (mwb422), Bloodburn (bls23). Desiccating Breath (mhh162), Wall of Blood (bls125)
- 5th Level – Blood Purge (bls23), Bloody Tentacles (bls23), Clot (bls32), Cruor of Visions (mwb424), Exsanguinate (mwb427), Exsanguinating Cloud (mwb427), Sanguine Horror (mwb433), Watery Blood (bls126)
- 6th Level – Create Homunculus (xge152), Spilling of Blood (bls112), Suffocate (mgp1008)
- 7th Level – Sanguine Creatures (bls101)
- 8th Level – Blazing Blood (bls22), Impart Strength (bls73)
- 9th Level –
* details still to come. R – Ritual Spells.
- Cantrip – Claws of Darkness (mhh157), Drench (bls48), Frostbite (xge156), Hoarfrost (mhh174), Shape Water (xge164), Spectral Weapon (GM)
- 1st Level – Absorb Elements (xge150), Cloud Burst (bls33), Flurry (mhh168), Freeze Potion (mhh169), Frostfire (bls62), Gliding Step (mhh170), Ice Knife (xge157), Protection from Good and Evil – R (ph270), Tidal Barrier (mhh198)
- 2nd Level – Bead of Frost (bls18), Boreas’s Breath – R (mhh154), Elemental Horns (mhh165), Frost Snap (bls62), Pass through Element (mgp1008), Snilloc’s Snowball Swarm (xge165)
- 3rd Level – Awaken Element (mgp1008), Dispel Magic – R (ph234), Elemental Shape (mgp1008), Freezing Fog (mhh169), Frost Shards (bls62), Frozen Razors (mhh169), Hard Water Blast (bls66), Protection from Energy (ph270), Riptide (mhh189), Tidal Wave (xge168), Wall of Water (xge170), Water Breathing
- 4th Level – Brittling (mhh154), Conjure Minor Elementals (ph226), Control Water, Elemental Bane (xge155), Siphon Elemental Lifeforce (mph1008), Watery Sphere (xge170)
- 5th Level – Conjure Elemental (ph225), Drown*, Frostbite (mhh169), Maelstrom (xge160), Magic Circle against Energy – R (ea08)
- 6th Level – Change Dust to Water (bls28), Cold Fog (bls33), Curse of Boreas (mhh160), Drown (mhh164), Ebon Water (bls50), Elemental Cloak (Ice) (bls50), Elemental Fabrication – R (ea08), Elemental Scimitar (bls51), Icy Manipulation (mmh175), Investiture of Element (xge159), Primordial Ward (xge163), Razor Rain*, Suffocate (ea08), Torrent (bls117)
- 7th Level – Blizzard (mhh153), Create Iceberg (bls36), Deep Freeze (bls41), Glacial Fog (mwb428), Ice Soldiers (mwb429), Triumph of Ice (mhh199)
- 8th Level – Abi-Daizim’s Horrid Wilting (xge150), Control Weather (ph228), Elemental Infusion (bls51), Glacial Cascade (mhh170), Ice Geyser (bls73), Tundra-Touched (mwb435), Whirlpool*
- 9th Level – Circle of Devastation (mhh157), Gate (ph244), Rimeshatter (bls100)
Design changes for Spells
Original Spell Lists: Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard
One thing to note, is that all spells that I am adding into this blog have the Spell list removed from them, besides anything I might be doing to tweak them for my home campaign. There is a source there if you want to look up the original version of the spell for your own campaigns, but mine does not need that information.
What has been added is the Secret Crafts, which replace the spell lists, as all spells not from the players handbook will only be available as part of the secret crafts of the world.
3rd Edition Version
- Necromancy [Air]
- Level: Clr 6, Drd 6, Sor/Wiz 6
- Components: V, S, M/DF
- Casting Time: 1 action
- Range: Medium (100 ft + 10 ft/level)
- Target: One creature.
- Duration: 1 round/level (D)
- Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
- Spell Resistance: Yes
You such the air from the target’s lungs or other respiratory system. In addition to the danger of dying, ever round the target succeeds its Fortitude save, it suffers 1d6 points of subdual damage. If it falls unconscious from the subdual damage, the spell works as if it has failed a Fortitude save and its hit points drop to 0.
Each round the save DC increases by 1, if the creature fails a save, its hit points drop to 0, starting the next round they drop by -1 per round as the creature slowly suffocates. You can dispel the effect at any time, and the creature stabilises automatically if the effect ends before it dies.
Creatures that do no breath, such as undead and constructs, are completely unaffected. Creatures who breathe water are affected.
Material Component Focus: a gag made of cloth.
- 2021-08-26 – Update to layout and menu, added spell to Waterologist list.
D&D 5E Rules Reference
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.