Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Paladin – Sacred Oath of Thunder
Oath of Thunder
Source: Midgard Heroes Handbook (5e-kob-mhh-39)
Of all the servants of Mavros-Perun in Midgard, paladins sworn to the Oath of Thunder are his spears and arrows made flesh. Even those who don’t venerate Mavros-Perun recognize and honour paladins sworn to his service. Often referred to as Valkyries, paladins of this oath are almost exclusively women hailing from the Perunalia. They are a major force within the knightly Order of the White Lion in that Amazonian nation. Shieldmaidens of the dwarven cantons and centaur outriders of the Rothenian Plain also number among its adherents.
Paladins sworn to Thunder are even more reserved and humble in daily life than other paladins. That veneer splits like a thunderclap in battle, where they erupt as vicious hellions. Indeed, thundering paladins love to strike “thunder-wise,” meaning suddenly and with surprise, appearing like a bolt of lightning in their enemies’ midst before those enemies know what hit them. Paladins who follow the Oath of Thunder are most often devoted to the cause of good but care little about the struggle between law and chaos.
- Secret Crafts: Airologist, Cryptologist
- Locations: Alphatian Empire, Northern Reaches, Norwold Region, Rockhome
- Races: Air aspected races.
Tenets of Thunder
The Oath of Thunder stresses reserved moderation and clear purpose in daily life, along with crushing, decisive strikes on the battlefield. Paladins sworn to Thunder see aberrations and fiends as the ultimate forces of corruption in the world and strive tirelessly to thwart their designs.
- Composure Is My Shield. My deeds are my armor, and I am not easily provoked. If anyone shall insult me, I shall laugh at their ignorance. If anyone shall insult my companions, I shall show them their error.
- Crush the Abomination. Twisted creatures from beyond the world have no place in it. Aberrations and fiends will feel my blade and know death.
- Decisiveness in Battle. When the time for words has passed, I will strike first and hard to bring a swift end to my enemies. Victory is the stoutest shield for myself and my companions.
- Duty Above All. Though I drink with the gods and laugh with the valkyries, I will stand my watch. I will defend my nation. I will defend my companions.
- Humility in Life. I am a servant of the Thunder, not its master. I will live without excess, assured in my own strength without ostentation. Charity and courage are twins.
- Voice Like Thunder. My voice rings clear and true in defense of those who can’t speak out for themselves. I will speak the truth, because such words echo through the ages.
Oath of Thunder Spells
|5th||Find Steed, Gust of Wind|
|7th||Call Lightning, Elemental Weapon|
|9th||Freedom of Movement, Stoneskin|
|17th||Conjure Volley, Swift Quiver|
Oath of Thunder Features
- (1st) Bonus Proficiency
- (3rd) Channel Divinity
- (7th) Aura of Alacrity
- (15th) Strike Like Lightning
- (20th) Child of the Storm
(1st) Bonus Proficiency
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in the Stealth skill.
(3rd) Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
- Storm Strike. As an action, you can use your Channel Divinity to infuse a ranged or thrown weapon you are holding with the wrath of a storm god. Make a ranged weapon attack as normal. In addition to the weapon attack, you create a line of lightning 5 feet wide and 60 feet long, beginning at you and extending straight toward the target. If the target is less than 60 feet from you, the line of lightning extends beyond it. Each creature in the line takes 2d10 + your paladin level lightning damage, or half damage with a successful Dexterity saving throw. If your ranged or thrown weapon attack hits, the target has disadvantage on its saving throw.
- Turn the Unclean. As an action, you present your holy symbol and utter a war cry, using your Channel Divinity. Each aberration or fiend within 30 feet of you that can see or hear you must make a successful Wisdom saying throw or be turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage.
(7th) Aura of Alacrity
Beginning at 7th level, you and your allies within 10 feet of you add your proficiency bonus to Initiative rolls.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.
(15th) Strike Like Lightning
Starting at 15th level, when your attack hits a creature that hasn’t yet taken its first turn in this combat, or when you hit a creature you were hidden from when you attacked, that creature has disadvantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws until the start of your next turn.
(20th) Child of the Storm
At 20th level, you can take on the aspect of the thunder god. While at rest, you seem darkened like a thundercloud. Once in action, your clothing and hair blow wildly in a wind that arises from nowhere, your eyes flare with lightning, and your voice booms like thunder. By using your action, you undergo a transformation. For 1 hour, you gain the following benefits.
- You don’t have disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks because of armor.
- You have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks and initiative rolls.
- Your weapon attacks deal an additional 1d10 lightning or thunder damage (your choice when you hit).
- As an action, you can unleash a terrifying war cry. Every enemy creature in a 30-foot cone must make a successful Wisdom saving throw or become frightened of you for 1 minute. While frightened in this way, the creature must spend its turn trying to move as far away from you as it can. It can’t take reactions. For its action, it can only use the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action. A frightened creature that’s more than 30 feet from you and can’t see you repeats the saving throw at the start of its turn, ending the effect on itself on a success. A creature that succeeds on its saving throw can’t be affected by this war cry for 24 hours.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.
I had limited this to the Northern reaches region but I moved it to all air aspected races as the core Paladin belief for those races.
- 2021-03-25 – Chaging the naming convention to say the class as well as subclass.
Bard: Entropy, Fey Magic, Glamour, Greenleaf, the Jester, Lore, Swords, Valour, Virtue, Whispers
Cleric: Air, Ambition, Apocalypse, Arcana, Balance, Beauty, Beer, Blood, Cats, Clockwork, Corruption, Creation, Darkness, Death, Dragon, Earth, Fire, Forge, Grave, Hunger, Hunt, Hunting, Justice, Knowledge, Labyrinth, Life, Light, Lust, Madness, Moon, Mountain, Nature, Oceans, Order, Prophecy, Repose, Solidarity, Speed, Strength, Tempest, Time, Travel, Trickery, Tyranny, Void, War, Water, Zeal
Fighter: Arcane Archer, Banneret, Battle Master, Cavalier, Champion, Clacking Mercenary, Edjet, Eldritch Knight, Ghost Knight, Griffon Knight, Hospitaller, Knight Surgeon, Samurai, Shield Bearer, Sword Dancer, Weapons Master, Woodlands Cavalier
Ranger: Beast Master, Explorer, Fey Hunter, Gloom Stalker, Hidden Guardian, Horizon Walker, Hunter, Monster Slayer, Unicorn Charger, Vampire Slayer, Zobecker Scout
Rogue: Arcane Trickster, Assassin, Duelist, Fixer, Inquisitive, Mastermind, Scout, Swashbuckler, Thief, Whisper
Sorcerer: Bloodlines (Draconic, Dryad, Lycanthrope, Mazeborn, Nerid, Norn, Nymph, Satyr, Serophage, Shadow), Divine Inspiration, Divine Soul, Elemental Essence, Pyromancer, Runechild, Shadow Magic, Storm Sorcery, Wild Magic
Wizard: Angelic Scribe, Bladesinger, Doom Croaker, Dragon Masks, Elementalist, Geomancy, Necrophagy, Ring Warden, Schools (Abjuration, Artifice, Blood Magic, Clockwork, Conjuration, Divination, Elven High Magic, Enchantment, Entropy, Evocation, Illumination, Illusion, Necromancy, Transmutation, Void Magic), Timekeeper, War Mage
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Artillerist (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.