Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Warlock – Pact of the Genie Lord
Pact of the Genie Lord
Pact of the Genie Lord Overview
You have made a pact with a powerful ruler of geniekind on one of the Elemental Planes. The Genie Lord’s aims swing wildly from inscrutable to the mortal mind, to startlingly simple and straightforward. Genie lords struggle endlessly to one-up each other, and rivalries between these elemental rulers can engulf entire nations. They aren’t above bribing a rival’s mortal agents to switch sides if they think it will gain them an advantage. Genie lords include Astallah, djinni Calipha of the Bright Wind from the Plane of Air; Ghorek, dao Khan of the Onyx Depths on the Plane of Earth; Ixingaltrix, efreeti Emir and Keeper of the Molten Tower on the Plane of Fire; and Saliandla, marid Pasha of the Pearl Fane from the Plane of Water. The genie of darkness is unknown at this stage.
Note: When you select this class option, you select one element from: Air, Darkness, Earth, Fire and Water. That becomes the focus of what spells and abilities you have access to in the class. (substitution from secret craft will be done for changes where appropriate). If you lean multiple elemental secret crafts you can access more elements with this class. See Elementologist on how to learn more than one element.
- Patron of
- Matter – Living (Agriculture (4)) for Earth
- Thought – Science (Agriculture (4)) for Air
- Dual Matter/Thought – Living Science (Agriculture (4))
- Elements – Air (3),
- Racial – Genasi (Air (3)),
- Associated Secret Crafts – Airologist (Agriculture, Air), Earthologist (Agriculture), Naturologist (Agriculture), Skyologist (Agriculture),
- Energy Immortals – Ninsun (Agriculture),
- Matter Immortals – Terra (Agriculture),
- Thought Immortals – Air Elemaster (Air), Frey (Agriculture), Odin (Air), Palartarken (Air), Ralon (Agriculture),
- Primary Pantheon/Immortals – Air (Air Elemaster, Odin, Palartarken), Alphatian Empire (Air Elemaster, Odin, Palartarken), Dwarven and Gnome (Frey, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra), Forest (Frey, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra), Halfling (Frey, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra), Land Guilds (Frey, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra), Myoshima (Frey, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra), Sky (Air Elemaster, Odin, Palartarken),
- Secondary Pantheon/Immortals – Dragonkin (Freyja, Terra), Dwarven and Gnome (Palartarken), Earth (Terra), Elven (Frey), Ethengarian (Frey), Forest (Air Elemaster), Giantkin (Frey), Halfling (Odin), Makai (Palartarken), Myoshima (Palartarken), Norse (Frey, Odin), Ocean (Air Elemaster), Radiance (Air Elemaster, Palartarken), Shadowlands (Air Elemaster), Thyatian Empire (Frey, Odin), Traladaran (Palartarken), Ylari (Air Elemaster),
- Councils – Ancient Ones (Air Elemaster, Odin), Assembly (Air Elemaster, Frey, Ninsun, Odin, Palartarken, Ralon, Terra), Celestials (Frey), Elemental Rules (Air Elemaster), Energy (Ninsun), Hierarch (Air Elemaster, Ninsun, Odin, Terra), Matter (Terra), Sphere (Terra), Temporal (Palartarken, Ralon), Thought (Air Elemaster, Frey, Odin, Palartarken, Ralon),
Pact of the Genie Lord Spells
|1st||Chronomatic Orb, Thunderwave|
|2nd||Gust of Wind, Sleet Storm|
|3rd||Protection from Energy, Water Breathing|
|4th||Conjure Minor Elementals, Fire Shield|
|5th||Creation, Wall of Stone|
Pact of the Genie Lord Features
- (1st) Genie Lord’s Favour
- (6th) Transfer Elements
- (10th) Minor Wish
- (14th) Herald’s Aspect
- (20th) Child of the Storm
(1st) Genie Lord’s Favour
At 1st level you can speak, read, and write Primordial. You can understand and be understood by any creature that speaks Auran, Ignan, Terran, or Aquan. Additionally, your patron grants you a token that can absorb elemental power. You gain a magical gemstone with the following properties:
- You can use the gem as an arcane focus.
- The gem can capture and store elemental power. When you take acid, cold, fire, lighting, necrotic or thunder damage, you can choose to transfer some of the damage into the gem instead of taking the damage yourself. The gem’s maximum capacity for damage equals twice your warlock level plus your Charisma modifier. The gem drains of energy and becomes empty again when you complete a long rest.
- While the gem stores any amount of elemental power, you can use an action to cause it to shed bright light out to 20 feet and dim light for an additional 20 feet, to shed dim light out to 5 feet, or to douse the light. The colour of the light is linked to your elemental patron.
If you lose your token, you can perform a 1-hour ceremony to receive a replacement from your patron. This ceremony can be performed during a short or long rest, and it destroys the previous token. The token shatters to slivers when you die.
The token is specific to the element:
- Crystal for air – sheds yellow tinged light – highlights air aspected elements in the area.
- Emerald for earth – sheds green tinged light – highlights earth aspected elements in the area.
- Opal for darkness – the light it sheds makes colours in its area of effect more vibrant. Shows all aspected elements in the area.
- Ruby for fire – sheds red tinged light – highlights fire aspected elements in the area.
- Sapphire for water – sheds blue tinged light – highlights water aspected elements in the area.
(6th) Transfer Elements
Starting at 6th level, you can use the elemental energy stored in your gem token against foes. When you damage a target with a spell or attack, you can spend stored points to deal additional damage of a type stored in the gem equal to your Charisma bonus. If you deal damage to multiple targets with a single source, choose which one takes the extra elemental damage.
Additionally, you can extend the protection of your gem to other creatures. When an ally within 30 feet that you can see takes damage as described above, you can use your reaction to transfer some of the damage into your gem.
(10th) Minor Wish
Starting at 10th level, you can call upon your Genie Lord to twist fate in your favor Immediately after you make an attack roll, saving throw, ability check, or damage roll, you can choose to reroll and take the better result.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
(14th) Herald’s Aspect
Starting at 14th level, you can channel the power of your patron into your flesh to magically transform into a herald of your Genie Lord. Your legs fade away into a swirl of elemental energy, and your skin and features take on a cast that resembles that of your patron. You can transform as a bonus action and the transformation lasts for 1 minute, during which you gain the following benefits:
- You gain a flying speed of 60 feet.
- You have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. You gain immunity to that damage type.
- Once on your turn when you hit with an attack or spell, you can deal an extra 3d6 damage of one of the following types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Pact of the Genie Lord – GM Section
- Patron: Elemasters of Air, Darkness, Earth, Fire, Water
- Secret Crafts: Airologist, Darkologist, Earthologist, Fireologist, Waterologist
- Locations: Anywhere with elemental aspected races, usually in or bordering the desert areas.
- Races: Anywhere with Elemetal aspected races, usually in or bordering the desert areas.
I had these as a type of generic sorcerer option for the known world region.
- Locations: Alphatia, Atruaghin, Darokin, Ethengar, Glantri, Ierendi, Karameikos, Minrothad, Northern Reaches, Norwold Region, Rockhome, Shadowlands, Thyatis, Ylaruam
- Races: Dwarf (Craftbound, Hillbound, Seabound, Shadowbound, Stonebound), Human (Alasiyan, Atruaghin, Ethengar, Hattian, Heldannic, Kerendan, Makai, Makistani, Nithian, Nuari, Thothian, Thyatian and Traladaran)
- 2021-08-27 – Changing patron from Energy (Ixion), Time (Protius) to the elemasters. and making them available everywhere in the setting.
- Character Options – All Air Aspected Sub-Races
- Character Options – All Darkness Aspected Sub-Races
- Character Options – All Earth Aspected Sub-Races
Character Options – All Fire Aspected Sub-Races
- Barbarian – Path of the Storm Herald (Desert)
- Cleric – Domain of Fire
- Monk – Way of the Elements (Fire)
- Sorcerer – Draconic Bloodline (Red), Elemental Essence (Fire)
- Warlock – Pact of the Genie Lord (Fire)
- Wizard – Elementalist (Fire)
- Character Options – All Water Aspected Sub-Races
- 2021-08-29 – Simplified the aspects down to the character options components.
- 2021-08-28 – Added the elemental aspects to the gemstones to help if match the settings.
- 2021-08-27 – Update to layout and menu.
Artificer: Alchemist, Armourer, Artillerist, Battle Smith, Bombardier, Engineer, Stitcher
Barbarian: Amber’s Enlightened, Ancestors, Ancestral Guardian, Battlerager, Beast, Beast Slayer, Bearsarker, Berserker, Carcharodon, Dreadnought, Fractured, Fungal Hulk, Harrier, Herculean, Juggernaut, Primal Spirit, Primordial Predator, Rager, Storm Herald, Tempest, Totem Warrior, Ulfhander, Wild Magic, Wizard Slayer, Zealot
Bard: Adventurers, Ancients, Creation, Eloquence, Entropy, Epic Poetry, Fey Magic, Glamour, Grace, Greenleaf, the Jester, Lore, Loremaster, Minstrel, Mirthful Mariarchi, Mountebank, Requiems, Singer of the Deeps, Spirits, Swords, Troubadour, Valour, Virtue, Warchanter, Whispers, Wyrdsingers
Cleric: Aberrance, Alhool Keener, Air, Ambition, Apocalypse, Arcana, Balance, Beauty, Beer, Blood, Cats, Chaos, City, Clockwork, Corruption, Crafts, Creation, Darkness, Death, Dragon, Earth, Eldritch, Enigma, Fire, Force, Forge, Grave, Healer, Hunger, Hunt, Hunting, Inquisition, Justice, Knowledge, Labyrinth, Law, Life, Light, Luck, Lust, Madness, Messiah of Ashes, Moon, Mountain, Mushroom, Naraneus, Nature, Nobility, Oceans, Oracle, Order, Peace, Prophecy, Repose, Sharing, Sickness, Solidarity, Speed, Strength, Sun Priest, Tempest, Time, Travel, Trickery, Twilight, Tyranny, Undeath, Void, War, Warpriest, Water, Winter, Zeal
Druid: Ancestors, Blood, Dreams, Feyfriend, the Forest Kingdom, Guardian, the Land, the Moon, Mushrooms, Mutation, Oaks, Owls, Roses, Sacrifice, the Shapeless and Prime Terror, the Shepherd, Skinchanger, Spirits, Stars, the Stones, the Tree of Life, Treespeaker, Wildfire
Fighter: Arcane Archer, Banneret, Battle Master, Bladebonded, Blind Duelist, Boarder, Brute, Bulwark Warrior, Captain, Cavalier, Champion, Clacking Mercenary, Duelist, Echo Knight, Edjet, Eldritch Knight, Fortune’s Smith, Gholaad’s Translation, Ghost Knight, Gladiator, Griffon Knight, Hoplite Soldier, Hospitaller, Knight, Knight Surgeon, Living Crucible, Living Vampire, Prescient Knight, Psi Warrior, Rune Knight, Samurai, Sapper, Sharpshooter, Shield Bearer, Smithkin, Sword Dancer, Thug, Weapons Master, Woodlands Cavalier
Marshal: Crusader, Gambling General, Guerrilla, Kingpin, Mindbender, Noble, Path (Master, Night, Reaper), Rallier, Reaver, Redeemer, Revolutionary, Strategist, Swift Strategist, Tactician, Talented Tactician, Tyrant, Warbringer
Monk: the Ascendant Dragon, the Astral Self, the Bo’faquan, the Crystal Cannonade, Brawler, the Cobalt Soul, the Drunken Master, the Elements, the Exalted Athlete, Iron, the Kensai, the Leaden Crown, the Long Death, Mercy, the Open Hand, Pain, Pride, Reaving Vortex, Shadow, the Shield, the Sun Soul, the Warrior Monk
Paladin: the Ancients, the Annihilator, the Ascetic, Battle, Conquest, the Crown, Despair, Destruction, Devotion, the Dragonlord, the Eagle, Elimination, the Errant, the Giving Grave, Glory, Green Knight, Holy Champion, Inquisitor, Mercy, Pearl, Pestilence, Perfection, the Radiance, the Raven, Redemption, Spear Maiden, Thunder, Vengeance, the Watchers, Zeal. Special – Oathbreaker
Ranger: Beast Master, Explorer, Fey Hunter, Fey Wanderer, Gloom Stalker, Green Reaper, Hidden Guardian, Horizon Walker, Horse Nomad, Hoyrall Shredder, Hunter, Monster Slayer, Netherworld, Explorer, Privateer, Swarmkeeper, Underminer, Unicorn Charger, Urban Shadow, Vampire Slayer, Vermin Lord, Warden, Wildborn, Zobecker Scout
Rogue: Arcane Trickster, Assassin, Burglar, Cutthroat, Duelist, Fixer, Highway Rider, Hitman, Infernal Talismancer, Inquisitive, Investigator, Mastermind, Misfortune Bringer, Odyssean, Phantom, Poisoner of Minds, Scout, Soulknife, Spy, Svirf Scientist, Swashbuckler, Thief, Trapsmith, Whisper
Scholar: Alchemy, Mind-Delving
Sorcerer: Aberrant Mind, Aristocratic, Ascendant, Bloodlines (Boreal, Draconic, Dryad, Enigma, Lycanthrope, Mazeborn, Nerid, Norn, Nymph, Satyr, Serophage, Shadow, Wretched), Clockwork Soul, Cunning Woman, Divine Inspiration, Divine Soul,, Draconist Elemental Essence, Facets (Flawless Caster, Gemblade), Farseer, Haunted, Psychic Magic, Pyromancer, Runechild, Shadow Magic, Soul Burner, Spore-cerer, Storm Sorcery, Traveler, Wild Magic
Underterror: Hel Savant, Slaver of the Damned, Underworld Monstrocity
Warlock: Alienist, Archfey, Archfiend, Black Woods, Celestial, Colloid, Diabolist, Fates, Fathomless, Fiend, First Vampire, Fragment Channeler of Zagnexis, Frozen One, the Genie, Genie Lord, Grand Void, Great Machine, Great Old One, Hexblade, Light Eater, Oracle, Parasite, Primeval One, Sargasso Siren, Sibyl, Spellbound, Undead, Undying, Voices of the Ancestors
Wizard: Academy Philosopher, Alkemancer, Angelic Scribe, Aquanaught, Arcane Specialist, Arcanist, Bladesinger, Blood Mage, Castellan, Chronury Magic, Demonologist, Disenchanter, Doom Croaker, Dragon Masks, Elementalist, Entropist, Geomancy, Graviturgy Magic, Illuminator, Mage, Master of Fiends, Mystifier, Necrophagy, Order of Scribes, Plague Doctor, Ring Warden, Rune Caller, Sangromancer, Schools (Abjuration, Artifice, Blood Magic, Clockwork, Conjuration, Divination, Elven High Magic, Enchantment, Entropy, Evocation, Illumination, Illusion, Necromancy, Pyromancer, Transmutation, Void Magic), Ship Mage, Timekeeper, Transgnomamist, War Mage, White Necromancer
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.