Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Spells – Level 5 – Control Winds
- 5th Level Transmutation (Ritual)
- Secret Crafts: Airologist, Sailologist, Skyologist
- Casting time: 1 action
- Range: 300 ft
- Components: V, S
- Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour
- You take control of the air in a 100-foot cube that you can see within range. Choose one of the following effects when you cast the spell. The effect lasts for the spell’s duration, unless you use your action on a later turn to switch to a different effect. You can also use your action to temporarily halt the effect or to restart one you’ve halted.
- Gusts. A wind picks up within the cube, continually blowing in a horizontal direction you designate. You choose the intensity of the wind: calm, moderate, or strong. If the wind is moderate or strong, ranged weapon attacks that enter or leave the cube or pass through it have disadvantage on the ir attack rolls. If the wind is strong, any creature moving against the wind must spend 1 extra foot of movement for each foot moved.
- Downdraft. You cause a sustained blast of strong wind to blow downward from the top of the cube. Ranged weapon attacks that pass through the cube or that are made against targets within it have disadvantage on the ir attack rolls. A creature must make a Strength saving throw if it flies into the cube for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there flying. On a failed save, the creature is knocked prone.
- Updraft. You cause a sustained updraft within the cube, rising upward from the cube’s bottom side. Creatures that end a fall within the cube take only half damage from the fall. When a creature in the cube makes a vertical jump, the creature can jump up to 10 feet higher than normal.
- Ritual Casting – When casting as a ritual you can continue to maintain it as long as your concentration has not been broken, for an additional hour using a ritual casting check, though you can’t change the chosen effect or strength when used as a ritual. But you can change the direction when used with the Gust effect.
Available Spell Lists
- Cantrip – Booming Blade (scag142), Breeze (mgp1008), Fist of Air (br207), Gust (xge157), Headwind (bls68), Lightning Lure (scag143), Shocking Grasp (ph275), Spectral Weapon (GM), Thunder Bolt (mhh197), Thunderclap (xge168), Wind Lash (mhh202)
- 1st Level – Absorb Elements (xge150), Affect Normal Fog (bls11), Circle of Wind – R (mhh157), Protection from Good and Evil – R (ph270), Wind Tunnel (mhh203), With the Wind – R (bls129)
- 2nd Level – Air Forge – R (bls12), Charged Missile (bls29), Dust Devil (xge154), Elemental Horns (mhh165), Gust of Wind (ph248), Pass through Element (mgp1008), Reverberate (mhh188), Rolling Thunder (mhh189), Skywrite – R (xge165), Warding Wind (xge170), Wind Armour (mgp1008)
- 3rd Level – Air Breathing – R (bls12), Air Bridge – R (bls12), Awaken Element – R (mgp1008), Call Lightning (ph220), Charged Touch (bls29), Dispel Magic – R (ph234), Electromagnetic Storm (bls50), Elemental Shape (mgp1008), Fly (ph243), Greater Thunderclap (mhh197), Perun’s Doom (mhh185), Protection from Energy (ph270)
- 4th Level – Air Sphere – R (bls13), Conjure Minor Elementals (ph226), Elemental Bane (xge155), Erode (mgp1008), Siphon Elemental Lifeforce (mph1008), Storm Sphere (xge166)
- 5th Level – Conjure Elemental (ph225), Control Winds – R (xge152), Inner Storm (bls76), Magic Circle against Energy – R (ea08), Wind Bindings (ea08)
- 6th Level – Elemental Fabrication – R (ea08), Elemental Scimitar (bls51), Investiture of Element (xge159), Lightning Storm (bls81), Lightning Wheel (bls82), Primordial Ward (xge163), Suffocate (ea08)
- 7th Level – Ebon Lightning (bls50), Electrical Storm (bls50), Vacuum Slash (mgp1008), Whirlwind (xge171)
- 8th Level – Control Weather (ph228), Elemental Infusion (bls51)
- 9th Level – Circle of Devastation (mhh157), Gate (ph244)
- Cantrip – Hydraulic Push (pcc40)
- 1st Level – Air Bubble (pcc34), Animate Water (pcc35), Bubble Net (bls26), Buoyancy (bls26), Cool Strength (pcc421), Float (pcc38), Lasting Breath (bls80), Locate Fish – R (bls83), Murk (pcc40), Quick Breath (pcc40), Read Weather (pcc41), Sea Sight (pcc44), Shock Shield (pcc44), Touch of the Seal (pcc46), Waterproof (pcc49), Weather Eye (pcc49), Wind Compass (pcc424)
- 2nd Level – Bo of the River (pcc435), Boarding Plank (bls24), Depth Charge (pcc38), Depth Warning (pcc38), Dolphins Fins (bls47), False Gold (bls55), Flotsam Vessel (pcc39), Forecast – R (bls61), Marid’s Blessing (pcc421), Marid’s Curse (pcc421), Net (bls90), Riversight (pcc42), Sargasso Strands (pcc43), Slipstream (pcc45), Taunt (bls116), Track Ship (pcc46), True Bearing (pcc47), Undertow (bls121)
- 3rd Level – Aerial Pilot (bls11), Air Breathing – R (bls12), Anchor (bls13), Detect Land (bls43), Protection from Pressure (bls95), Receding Reef (pcc41), Reef Growth (pcc42), Turbid Tide (pcc47), Undertow (pcc47), Water Double (bls126), Weather Calming (bls127)
- 4th Level – Black Spot (pcc35), Deep Diver (pcc38), Deflect Ram (bls42), Desail (bls42), Hullshock (pcc39), Ice Ship (pcc432), Iron Rope (bls78), Phantom Rugging (pcc422), Remember Seas (bls98), Scalding Sea (bls101), Shatterhull (pcc44), Stone Hull (pcc424), Transform Boulder to Pebble (bls118), Transform Pebble to Boulder (bls118), Veiled Vessel (pcc48), Wall of Brine (pcc48)
- 5th Level – Billow the Sails (bls19), Channelled Currents (pcc37), Control Winds – R (xge152), Maelstrom (xge160), Sea Scrying (pcc44), Unseen Crew (pcc47)
- 6th Level – Aqueous Extraction (pcc35), Change Dust to Water (bls28), Greater Veiled Vessel (pcc48), Paper Vessel (pcc436), Ship of Fools (pcc423), Wall of Coral (pcc49)
- 7th Level – Change Water to Dust (bls28), Create Iceberg (bls36), Hovershp (bls72), Icebreaker (bls73), Raise Island (bls97), Submerge Ship (pcc45)
- 8th Level – Caster’s Caravel (pcc36), Divine Wind (pcc436), Raise Shipwreck (bls97)
- 9th Level – Curse of the Ancient Mariner (bls38), Interplanar Voyage (pcc40), Salvage (pcc43)
R – Ritual Spells.
- Spell List – Secret Craft – Skyologist
R – Ritual Spells. Sourcebooks: bls,
Design changes for Spells
- Original Spell Lists: Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard
- Ritual spell – added this to the list of ritual spells due to the hour long duration.
- 2021-08-26 – Update to layout and menu. Made it a ritual spell.
D&D 5E Rules Reference
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.