Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Spells – Level 3 – Wall of Water
Wall of Water
- 3rd Level Evocation Spell
- Secret Crafts: Waterologist
- Casting time: 1 action
- Range: 100 ft
- Components: V, S, M (a drop of water)
- Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
- The wall must be contiguous, it must be at least 5 feet thick along its entire length, you must be able to see the whole thing, and all of it must be within 100 feet of you. The wall’s space is difficult terrain. The wall need not be anchored on its sides, but the bottom of it must touch the ground everywhere (it can’t bridge gaps in the ground). The wall can be composed of saltwater, freshwater, or brackish water, depending on the water used for the material component.
- You conjure up a wall of water on the ground at a point you can see within range. You can make the wall up to 30 feet long, 10 feet high, and l foot thick, or you can make a ringed wait up to 20 feet in diameter, 20 feet high, and 1 foot thick. The wall vanishes when the spell ends. Alternatively, the “wall” can be conjured as a hemisphere of water 30 feet in diameter and 15 feet tall at the center.
- The wall can’t be conjured so that another object or a Small or larger creature is inside it.
- Any ranged weapon attack that enters the wall’s space has disadvantage on the attack roll, and fire damage is halved if the fire effect passes through the wall to reach its target. Spells that deal cold damage that pass through the wall cause the area of the wan they pass through to freeze solid (at least a 5-foot square section is frt>zen), Each 5-foot square frozen section has AC 5 and 1 S hit points. Reducing a frozen section to 0 hit points destroys it. When a section is destroyed, the wall’s water doesn’t fill it.
- Heightened (+1): No spell effect or missile (magical or mundane) can pass through the wall. Creatures on one side of the wall are heavily obscured from the other side. Creatures can enter and move inside the wall as difficult terrain. Flame creatures take 3d6 cold damage if they start their turn inside the wall or enter it during their turn.
Available Spell Lists
1st Level Spells – Absorb Elements (xge150), Armour of the Void (ph216), Cloud Burst – R (bls33), Create or Destroy Water – R (ph230), Flurry (mhh168), Freeze Potion (mhh169), Frostfire (bls62), Gliding Step – R (mhh170), Ice Knife (xge157), Magic Missile (ph258), Protection from Evil and Good – R (ph271), Tidal Barrier (mhh198),
3rd Level Spells – Awaken Element (ea08), Dispel Magic – R (ph234), Elemental Shape (ea08), Freezing Fog (mhh169), Frost Shards (bls62), Frozen Razors (mhh169), Hard Water Blast (bls66), Protection from Energy (ph270), Riptide (mhh189), Tidal Wave (xge168), Wall of Water (xge170), Water Breathing
- 4th Level – Brittling (mhh154), Conjure Minor Elementals – R (ph226), Control Water, Elemental Bane (xge155), Siphon Elemental Lifeforce (ea08), Watery Sphere (xge170)
- 5th Level – Conjure Elemental – R (ph225), Drown*, Frostbite (mhh169), Maelstrom (xge160), Magic Circle against Energy – R (ea08)
- 6th Level – Change Dust to Water (bls28), Cold Fog (bls33), Curse of Boreas (mhh160), Drown (mhh164), Ebon Water (bls50), Elemental Cloak (Ice) (bls50), Elemental Fabrication – R (ea08), Elemental Scimitar (bls51), Icy Manipulation (mmh175), Investiture of Element (xge159), Primordial Ward (xge163), Razor Rain*, Suffocate (ea08), Torrent (bls117)
- 7th Level – Blizzard (mhh153), Create Iceberg (bls36), Deep Freeze (bls41), Glacial Fog (mwb428), Ice Soldiers (mwb429), Triumph of Ice (mhh199)
- 8th Level – Abi-Daizim’s Horrid Wilting (xge150), Control Weather – R (ph228), Elemental Infusion (bls51), Glacial Cascade (mhh170), Ice Geyser (bls73), Tundra-Touched (mwb435), Whirlpool*
- 9th Level – Circle of Devastation (mhh157), Gate (ph244), Rimeshatter (bls100
Design changes for Spell
- Original Spell Lists: Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard
- Original Range: 60 ft
- You conjure up a wall of water on the ground at a point you can see within range. You can make the wall up to 30 feet long, 10 feet high, and l foot thick, or you can make a ringed wait up to 20 feet in diameter, 20 feet high, and 1 foot thick. The wall vanishes when the spell ends. The wall’s space is difficult terrain.
- Any ranged weapon attack that enters the wall’s space has disadvantage on the attack roll, and fire damage is halved if the fire effect passes through the wall to reach its target. Spells that deal cold damage that pass through the wall cause the area of the wan they pass through to freeze solid (at least a 5-foot square section is frozen), Each 5-foot square frozen section has AC 5 and 1 S hit points. Reducing a frozen section to 0 hit points destroys it. When a section is destroyed, the wall’s water doesn’t fill it.
- Note: Combined effects from each of the sources to produce something a little more unique.
- 2021-08-16 – Update to the layout, tags and menu.
D&D 5E Rules Reference
Crafts (49): Air, Alchem, Beast, Blood, Bureau, Celestial, Chaos, Chrono, Craft, Crypt, Dark, Devour, Diplo, Diviner, Dragon, Earth, Elements, Elven, Entertain, Fiend, Fire, Grave, Heal, Mech, Mental, Music, Nature, Necro, Portal, Preserve, Protect, Rad, Reani, Sail, Shade, Shape, Skald, Sky, Spirit, Spy, Star, Summon, Tech, Void, Wagon, War, Water, Weapon, Witch
A – Absorb Elements (Ab L1 xge150), ACID (Arrow (Ev L2 ph260), Splash (Co C ph212)), Affect Normal Fog – R (Tr L1 bls11), Aid (Ab L2 ph212), AIR (Breathing – R (Tr L3 bls12), Bridge – R (Tr L3 bls12), Forge – R (Tr L2 bls13), Sphere – R (Co L4 bls13)), Alarm – R (Ab L1 ph212), Alter Self – R (Tr L2 ph212), ANIMAL (Friendship (En L1 ph213), Messenger – R (En L2 ph213), Shapes (Tr L8 ph213)), ANIMATE (Dead (Ne L3 ph213), Objects (Tr L5 ph214)), Annihilation (Ne L5 ea02), Antilife Shell (Ab L5 ph214), Arcane Lock – R (Ab L2 ph216), Arcanist’s Magic Aura (Il L2 ph264), Armour of the Void (Ab L1 ph216), Arms of the Void (Co L1 ph216), Augury – RO (Di L2 ph216), Awaken Element (Tr L3 ea08),
B – Bane (En L1 ph217), Barkskin – R (Tr L2 ph218), Bead of Frost (Ev L2 bls18), Beast Sense – R (Di L2 ph218), Blade Ward (Ab C ph219), Bleeding Wound (Ne L2 ea02), Bless (En L1 ph220), Blindness/Deafness (Ne L2 ph220), Blur (Il L2 ph220), Booming Blade (Ev C scag142), Branding Smite (Ev L2 ph220), Breeze (Tr C ea08), Burning Hands (Ev L1 ph221),
C – Call Lightning (Co L3 ph220), Calm Emotions (En L2 ph222), CHARGED (Missile (Ev L2 bls29), Touch (Tr L3 bls29)), Charm Person (En L1 ph222), CHILL (Blood (Ne L1 ea02), Touch (Ne C pg222)), Chromatic Orb (Ev L1 ph222), CIRCLE (of Devastation (Ev L9 mhh157), of Wind – R (Ab L1 mhh157)), Claws of Darkness (Ev C mhh157), CLOUD (Burst – R (Tr L1 bls33), of Daggers (Co L2 ph223)), Colour Spray (Il L1 ph223), Command (En L1 ph223), Compelled Duel (En L1 ph225), Comprehend Languages – R (Di L1 ph225), CONJURE (Elemental – R (Co L5 ph225), Minor Elementals – R (Co L4 ph226)), Continual Flame – R (Ev L2 ph228), CONTROL (Weather – R (Tr L8 ph228), Winds – R (Tr L5 xge152)), Cordon of Arrows (Tr L2 ph229), Create or Destroy Water – R (Tr L1 ph230), Crown of Madness (En L2 ph230), Cure Wounds – R (Ev L1 ph231),
D – Dancing Lights (Ev ph231), Darkness (Ev L2 ph231), Darkvision – R (Tr L2 ph231), Death’s Shadow (Ne L1 ea02), DETECT (Evil and Good – R (Div L1 ph232), Magic – R (Div L1 ph232), Poison and Disease – R (Di L1 ph232), Thoughts – R (Di L2 ph232)), Disguise Self – R (Il L1 ph234), Dispel Magic – R (Ab L3 ph234), Dissonant Whispers (En L1 ph235), Divine Favour (Ev L1 ph235), Drench (Ev C bls48), Druidcraft (Tr ph231), Dust Devil (Co L2 xge154),
E – Ebon Lightning (Ev L7 bls50), Eldritch Blast (Ev C ph238), Electrical Storm (Ev L7 bls50), Electromagnetic Storm (Ev L3 bls50), ELEMENTAL (Bane (Tr L4 xge155), Fabrication – R (Tr L6 ea08), Horns (Ev L2 mhh164). Infusion (Tr L8 bls51), Scimitar (Co L6 bls51), Shape (Tr L3 ph243)), Enhance Ability – R (Tr L2 ph238), Enlarge/Reduce – R (Tr L2 ph238), Ensnaring Strike (Co C ph238), Entangle (Co La ph239), Enthrall (En L2 ph239), Erode (Tr L4 ea08), Expeditious Retreat (Tr L1 ph239),
F – Faerie Fire (Ev L1 ph240), False Life (Ne L1 ph240), Feather Fall (Tr L1 ph240), FIND (Familiar – RO (Co L1 ph241), Steed – RO (Co L2 ph241), Traps – RO (Di ph242)), Fire Bolt (Ev C ph243), Fist of Air (Ev C br207), Flame Blade (Ev L2 ph243), Flaming Sphere (Co L2 ph243), Floating Disk – R (Co L1 ph283), Flurry (Tr L1 mhh168), Fly (Tr L3 ph244), Fog Cloud (Co L1 ph244), Freeze Potion (Tr L1 mhh169), Freeze Water – R (Tr L2 mhh170), Friends (En C ph245), Frost Snap (Ev L2 bls62), Frostbite (Ev C xge156), Frostfire (Ev L1 bls62),
G – Gate (Co L9 ph244), Gentle Repose – R (Ne L2 ph246), Gliding Step – R (Ab L1 mhh170), Goodberry (Tr L1 ph247), Grease (Co L1 ph247), Green-Flame Blade (Ev C scag143), Greater Thunderclap (Ev L3 mhh197), Guidance (Di C ph249), Guiding Bolt (Ev L1 ph249), Gust (Tr C xge168), Gust of Wind – R (Ev L2 ph248),
H – Hail of Thorns (Co C ph250), Headwind (Ev C bls68), Healing Word (Ev L1 ph251), Heat Metal (Tr L2 ph251), Hellish Rebuke (Ev L1 ph251), Heroism (En L1 ph251), Hex (En L1 ph252), Hideous Laughter (En L1 ph281), Hold Person (En L2 ph252), Hoarfrost (Ev C mhh157), Hunter’s Mark (Di C ph252),
I – Ice Knife (Co L2 xge157), Identify – RO (Div L1 ph253), Illusory Script – RO (Il L1 ph253), Inflict Wounds (Ne L1 ph254), Inner Storm (Ev L5 bls76), Investiture of Element (Tr L6 xge159), Invisibility (Il L2 ph255),
J – Jump (Tr L1 ph255),
K – Knock – R (Tr L2 ph255),
L – Levitate – R (Tr L2 ph256), Light (Ev C ph256), LIGHTNING (Lure (Ev C scag143), Storm (Ev L6 bls81), Wheel (Ev L6 bls82)), LOCATE (Animals or Plants – R (Di L2 ph257), Object – R (Di L2 ph257)), Longstrider (Tr L1 ph257),
M – MAGE (Armour (Ab L1 ph257), Hand (Co C ph257)), MAGIC (Circle against Elements – R (Ab L5 ea08), Missile (Ev L1 ph258), Mouth – R (Il L2 ph258), Weapon (Tr L2 ph258)), Mending (Tr C ph260), Message (Tr C ph260), Minor Illusion (Il C ph261), Mirror Image (Il L2 ph261), Misty Step (Co L2 ph261), Moonbeam (Ev L2 ph262),
P – PASS (through Element – R (Ab L2 ea08), Without Trace – R (Ab L2 ph265)), Perun’s Doom (Ev L3 mhh185), Phantasmal Force (Il L2 ph265), Poison Spray (Co C ph267), Prayer of Healing – RO (Ev L2 ph268), Prestidigitation (Tr C ph268), Primordial Ward (Ab L6 xge163), Produce Flame (Co C ph270), PROTECTION (from Energy (Ab L3 ph270), from Evil and Good – R (Ab L1 ph271), from Poison – R (Ab L2 ph271)), Purify Food and Drink – R (Tr L1 ph271),
R – RAY (of Enfeeblement (Ne L2 ph272), of Frost (Co C ph272), of Sickness (Ne L1 ph272)), Resistance (Ab C ph273), Restoration – R (Ab L2 ph256), Reverberate (Ev L2 mhh188), Rolling Thunder (Ev L2 mhh189), Rope Trick – R (Tr L2 ph273),
S – Sacred Flame (Ev C ph273), Sanctuary (Ab L1 ph273), Scorching Ray (Ev L2 ph274), Searing Smite (Ev L1 ph275), See Invisibility – R (Di L2 ph275), SHADOW (Horror (Ne L3 ea02), Mastery (Ne L3 ea02)), Shape Water (Tr C xge164), Shatter (Ev L2 ph276), SHIELD (Shield (Ab L1 ph276), of Faith (Ab L1 ph276)), Shillelagh (Tr C ph276), Shocking Grasp (Ev C ph275), Silence – R (Il L2 ph276), Silent Image (Il L1 ph277), Siphon Elemental Lifeforce (Ne L4 ea08), Skywrite – R (Tr L2 xge165), Sleep (En L1 ph277), Snowball Swarm (Ev L2 xge165), Spare the Dying (Ne C ph278), Speak with Animals – R (Di L1 ph278), Spectral Weapon (Ev/Ne C GM), Spider Climb (Tr L2 ph278), Spike Growth (Tr L2 ph278), Spiritual Weapon (Ev L2 ph279), Storm Sphere (Ev L4 xge166), Suffocate (No L6 ea08), Suggestion – R (En L2 ph280), Sword Burst (Co C scag142),
U – Unseen Servant – R (Co L1 ph285),
W – Wall of Water (Ev L2 xge170), WARDING (Bond (Ab L2 ph288), Wind (Ev L2 xge170)), Web (Co L2 ph288), Whirlwind (Ev L7 xge171), WIND (Armour – R (Ev L2 ea08), Bindings (Ev L5 ea08), Lash (Ev C mhh202), Tunnel (Ev L1 mhh203)), Witch Bolt (Ev L1 ph290), With the Wind – R (Ev L1 bls129), Wound (Ne L1 ea02), Wrathful Smite (Ev L1 ph290),
Z – Zone of Truth – R (En L2 ph290),
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.