Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara Immortals
Rafiel – Sphere of Energy
Player Section – Rafiel
- Patron – Elves, Magical Research, Radiance, Science
- Empyreals pantheon only – Sphere of Energy (Empyreal)
- Energy pantheon only – Sphere of Energy (Empyreal)
- Elven (Rafiel) –
- Shadowlands (Rafiel)
Appearance: – a middle aged human with meek outlook but with a piercing and cunning gaze, wearing a white runic (a scientist’s apron) and a pair of spectacles.
Rafiel’s Campaign Information
Game Master Section – Rafiel
Rafiel – Empyreal of Energy (21)
- Sourcebooks: Wrath of the Immortals Book One – Codex of the Immortals (wi-b1-34), Hollow World – Dungeon Masters Sourcebook (hw-dms114), Mystara Players Handbook (mph102), Vaults of Pandius (vop)
- Alignment: Lawful
- Portfolio: Shadow Elves, radiance, magical and scientific knowledge
- Sponsor: None
- Other Names: None
- Artefacts: Crystal of Rafiel
Allies of Rafiel
Assists (can also be assisted by)
- Rad (22) Empyreal of Energy
Enemies of Rafiel
Opposes (can also be opposed by)
- Atzanteotl (31) Hierarch of Entropy.
Sponsorship Hierarchy – Energy
- Sponsorship of the Energy Sphere
- Ixion (36) Hierarch of Energy
- Coberham (18) Celestial of Energy
- Gorm (19) Empyreal of Energy moved to Thought (22)
- Heimdall (30) Eternal of Energy
- Ilsundal (34) Hierarch of Energy.
- Mahmatti (14) Celestial of Energy
- Ninsun (35) Hierarch of Energy
- Palartarkan (12) Temporal of Energy moved to Thought (11)
- Patura (10) Temporal of Energy
- Rathanos (28) Eternal of Energy
- Razud (31) Hierarch of Energy.
- Saturnius (20) Empyreal of Energy
- Tahkati (17) Celestial of Energy moved to Matter (17)
- Tarastia (30) Eternal of Energy moved to Thought (30)
- Raith (12) Temporal of Energy
- The Korrigans (24) Empyreal of Energy moved to Matter (22)
- Thor (29) Eternal of Energy. moved to Thought (29)
- Thalia (36) Hierarch of Energy moved to Thought (31)
- Usamigaras (27) Eternal of Energy moved to Thought (27)
- Zugzul (32) Hierarch of Energy.
- Slizzark (15) Celestial of Energy moved to Entropy (17)
- Ixion (36) Hierarch of Energy
- Confirmed not to have a sponsor
History: in ancient Blackmoor Rafiel was a nuclear scientist and a pioneer in the field of thought transmission and supersymmetry, a science that rivalled with the arcane arts for usefulness and complexity. He analysed thoughts and the theory on collective memory, with the firm belief that another layer of reality could be found with these experiments. He was exploring this reality thanks to one of his inventions when the Great Rain of Fire struck and his mortal body was annihilated. His mind however got trapped inside the matrix of energy and thought he had entered and was exposed to the tremendous energies released by the catastrophe. Despite this, his consciousness survived but his soul was drastically altered.
Rafiel lived in a dull limbo (the reality of thoughts he was so eager to discover) for a long time without being able to feel anything. Finally his mind touched the thoughts of some elves who had gone underground to escape Blackmoor’s mortal taint, and he got a firm grip on them, trying desperately to escape his prison. These elves’ need for a new hope became Rafiel’s beacon, a new catalyst to focus his thoughts on, and slowly he managed he could recreate a whole body with the sole strength of his mind. This way he left the reality that had trapped (but also saved) him for so long and back in the Multiverse he discovered he had become an Immortal. The elves he had contacted now worshipped him as a deity, and he renamed them the Shadowelves, his chosen people. From that moment (BC 1104) he has always acted to protect the Shadowelves with parental affection, since they were the only ones to show him the faith and devotion that helped him escape his prison.
Rafiel created the 14 Verses and led his people to the Refuge of Stone with the promise of a brighter future, and he altered the soul crystals to further his own agenda. This way he began to build the Chamber of the Spheres, a new nuclear reactor, and at the same time he gave his followers the means to survive underground, curing the radiations that for generations had altered the genes of this folk.
Personality: Rafiel is a calm, wise and good willed immortal. It was because of his extreme humanity and sense of duty that he helped the shadowelves survive their affliction and got so attached to them. The 14 Verses he gave them as his commitments may seem harsh at times, but they have been helpful to protect the shadowelves and make them thrive in all these centuries. His followers have however always considered him stern and severe because of these same religious traditions (like the habit of abandoning the malformed babies in the upper tunnels and chase off the elderly elves), but this is only because they do not know the reasons behind these laws. In fact Rafiel guides the humanoids to find and raise the malformed shadowelves as their babies, to purify the shadowelf race from radiations and infiltrate the humanoids with his followers.
His main interest are the different kinds of energies found throughout the Multiverse, in particular Radiance, and he has always kept studying secretly that same energy which made him immortal. His most ambitious project is the construction of a nuclear reactor known as the Chamber of the Spheres (similar to the Beagle’s Nucleus) under the Refuge of Stone, with the only purpose of assuring that all the principles and scientific laws that he based his mortal life on are still viable (a clear sign of an obsessive-compulsive personality). For this same reason he is very interested in Rad’s researches too, and even if they are not allies, they often collaborates to further their experiments.
Rafiel is a pacifist but he has always used every means to fight against Atzanteotl’s influence over his people. Atzanteotl is his only true nemesis, and he’s being held responsible of corrupting many shadowelves (among which the Schattenalfen) to the cause of Entropy.
Info on Rafiel to be discovered by Groups
Classic D&D (BECMI) Stats
- Followers Alignment: any; clerics must be Lawful
- Favoured weapon: none (allowed all bludgeoning weapons and short sword)
- Clerics skills and powers: +1 bonus to Wisdom, +1 bonus to ST vs Spells, a free general skill to choose among a type of Engineering or a Science. Rafiel’s clerics are shadowelf shamans and gain access to a special list of spells (see GAZ13)
D&D 3.5 Stats
- Domains: Energy, Law, Good, Magic, Protection
- Preferred weapon: short sword
Rafiel – Patron to Pantheon Links – This is to be the basis on who is in what Pantheon and why.
- Empyreal (rank) added to the Empyreals pantheon.
- Sphere of Energy (rank group) added to Energy pantheon.
- 2021-09-24- Added in design changes and Patron to Pantheon links to show where this Immortal features in the Pantheon.
- 2021-08-19 – Update to layout, menu, tags and links.
- 2021-08-05 – Updated allies and enemies.
The Gods: The Immortals Overview,
Energy/Fire (31): Alphatia (16), Bartziluth (24), Bemarris (3), Benekander (1), Branden 11), Coberham (18), Fire Elemaster (33), Guidarezzo (15), Heimdall (30), Iliric (8), Ilsundal (34), Ixion (36), Madarua (26), Mazikeen (27), Mahmatti (14), Matin (19), Mealiden (23), Minroth (13), Ninsun (35), Patura (10), Pflarr (25), Rad (22), Rafiel (21), Raith (12), Rathanos (28), Razud (31), Saturnius (20), The Shaper (7), The Shining One (29), Zirchev (17), Zugzul (32)
Entropy/Darkness (35): Alphaks (20), Aracne Prime (6), Arik (18), Atzanteotl (31), Bachraeus (19), Bagni (24), Brissard (10), Danel (14), Demogorgon (29), Harrow (11), Hel (36), Hircismus (12), Idris (15), Jammudaru (5), Kallala (22), Kiranjo (7), Kythria (2), Loki (30), Loup (9), Macroblan (27), Marwdyn (4), Masauwu (28), Nyx (33), Orcus (26), Ouranos (34), Pharamond (32), Qywattz (21), Ranivorus (16), Ruaidhri (3), Saasskas (23), Slizzark (17), Stodos (6), Talitha (25), Thanatos (35), Yagrai (13)
Matter/Earth (34): Atruaghin (32), Buglore (9), Chiron (6), Diamond (21), Djaea (34), Earth Elemaster (33), Faunus (11), Forsetta (7), Garl (13), Ground (19), Hattani (15), Ilmarinen (20), Infaust (16), Ka (35), Kagyar (28), Land (27), Lokena (2), Lornasen (10), Maat (30), N’grath (29), Opal (18), Paarkum (8), Polunius (25), Pearl (12), Tahkati (17), Terra (36), The Eternal General (14), The Great One (26), The Korrigans (24), The Twelve Watches (4), Utnapishtim (23), Valerias (31), Wayland (24), Wogar (5)
Thought/Air (36): Air Elemaster (32), Arnelee (8), Asterius (28), Clebard (2), Cochere (12), Cretia (16), Diulanna (18), Eiryndul (20), Frey (13), Freyja (13), Gorm (22), Halav (17), Karaash (5), Kersy (21), Korotiku (32), Koryis (10), Malinois (15), Ninfangle (27), Nob Nar (5), Noumena (34), Odin (36), Orisis (19), Palartarkan (11), Palson (4), Pax (35), Ralon (9), Sinbad (25), Soubrette (24), Ssu-Ma (23), Tarastia (30), Taroyas (6), Thalia (31), Thor (29), Turmis (1), Urtson (7), Usamigaras (27)
Time/Water (33): Al-Kalim (3), Ahmanni (14), Bastet (22), Brindorhin (14), Calitha (18), Carnelian (11), Chardastes (24), Crakkak (10), Finidel (7), Fugit (30), Gorrziok (25), Hymir (13), Khoronus (36), Liena (1), Luca (12), Malafor (15), Oleyan (6), Ordana (31), Petra (17), Protius (29), Raven (21), Sharpcrest (19), Simurgh (19), Skuld (34), Tiresias (9), Tourlain (8), Tyche (28), Urd (32), Vanya (23), Vethandi (35), Water Elemaster (33), Yav (20), Zalaj (27)
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.