Pathfinder 2 – Religions
Campaign – Cayden Cailean
Cayden Cailean Overview – The Accidental God, The Drunken Hero, The Lucky Drunk
- Alignment: Chaotic Good
- Portfolio: Freedom, Ale, Wine, Bravery
- Realm: Hero’s Heart (Elysium)
- Allies: Besmara, Calistria, Desna, Milani, Sarenrae, Shelyn, Torag
- Enemies: Asmodeus, Norgorber
- Relationships: Calistria (intermittent lover), Iomedae (ascended sister), Kurgess (divine protégé), Norgorber (ascended brother)
- Temples: inns, taverns, and orphanages
- Worshipers: Brewers, vintners, barkeeps, innkeepers, good adventurers, bartenders, orphans, rebels
- Sacred Animal: hound
- Sacred Colours: silver and tan
- Divine Ability: Constitution or Charisma
- Domains: Chaos, Charm, Good, Strength, Travel
- Favoured Weapon: Rapier
Cayden Cailean (pronounced KAY-den KAY-lee-en) is a chaotic good deity, also known as the “Lucky Drunk”, “Drunken Hero”, or the “Accidental God”.
Cayden Cailean is an unassuming deity. After his ascension, he appears much as he did before completing the Test of the Starstone. He is usually depicted wearing chainmail and bearing a tankard of ale in one hand, sometimes accompanied by a rapier in the other. Additionally, he is often shown in combat against hosts of devils. Occasionally, his wrists are adorned with broken shackles, representing his doctrine of freedom for both body and mind.
Caydenites are usually not much for formal and composed speeches. Using Cayden’s name as a swear, frequently accompanied by colorfully perverse language, is common. However, some sayings are recognized among all his followers, usually originating from tavern ballads that were popular enough to spread through the faith.
- I’m great, but not so great as Cayden Cailean: A means to turn down challenges or contests that have gone too far – this phrase traditionally follows one of the competitors suggesting another take the Test of the Starstone. This dare and response allow both parties to end contests that have gotten too heated without shame, usually with the refusing party buying a round for everyone involved.
- May your life be as free as your taps: A popular line to end a toast or use as a fond farewell. It expresses Cayden’s belief that both people and drink should be unfettered. It is frequently used as a slogan among rebels.
- Sweet barleybrew!: An expression of amazement, frustration, or a simple curse. It can be used as easily to react to something wonderful, like the taste of a cool ale on a hot day, or something displeasing, like the approach of a looming monstrosity
Servants of Cayden Cailean
- Little Thunder – This celestial cayhound is the son of Thunder, Cayden Cailean’s pet mastiff. He enjoys strong beer and battle but goes out of his way to ensure the safety of innocents.
- Luthier, the Knight of the Vinyard – At first glance, it would seem Luthier’s love for fine wine has dulled both his senses and wits. But in times of need, the Knight of the Vinyard becomes alert and ready to fight. His agility and precision in battle make him a deadly enemy and a valued ally.
- Thais, the Accidental Herald – Before rising to the status of Herald of the Accidental God, Thais was a prostitute and friend of the then mortal Cayden Cailean. The two adventured together on more than one occasion, and after her death the now divine Cayden claimed her spirit and placed her in her current role.
- Valon, the Spirit of Spirits – A goodly priest and historian who was killed in battle, this ghost insists that beer is the greatest of mankind’s innovations. Valon dearly misses the body he once had, and readily accepts the opportunity to possess an individual and once again experience the world of the living in exchange for his assistance.
Church of Cayden Cailean
The faithful of Cayden Cailean hold their patron’s two loves, freedom and drink, as the pillars of his church. Free to seek their own means of venerating the Drunken Hero, it’s not uncommon for followers to take part in events involving one or both of these. The creation and drinking of spirits is often considered a noble and holy, though not formal, pastime. Likewise, the act of fighting for freedom, both that of others and of oneself, is highly respected and honoured; both liberators and chevaliers are welcome additions to the Lucky Drunk’s faith. Members of Cailean’s church can be found anywhere on and in Golarion, but worship of the Lucky Drunk thrives in Absalom, Andoran, Galt, the River Kingdoms, the Shackles, and Taldor.
Despite the church’s promotion of drink, the faithful draw a line between drinking for merriment and drinking to excess. The latter is seen as the abuse of one of the deity’s favoured things, and as such is frowned upon. Similarly, although the faithful of Cayden Cailean are known to actively seek out danger and adventure, they recognize the need to withdraw when a situation turns sour. Stupidity does not equal bravery, and bravery should never be sought at the bottom of a keg.
Cayden Cailean’s favour might be rewarded with the discovery of fresh drink, while his displeasure may result in such beverages turning unexplainably sour.
- Placard of Wisdom – Consisting of no more than a few lines of text, this writing usually takes the form of a simple wall-hanging that summarizes the traits that should be embraced by the followers of the Drunken Hero.
- First Brewing – Held roughly a month after a community’s first harvest, this day is dedicated to the sampling of the drinks brewed from that harvest.
- Ascension Day – The 11th of Kuthona is celebrated as the anniversary of Cayden Cailean’s rise to divinity, though the actual date of the event has long been forgotten by all.
- 2021-08-16 – Update to layout and menu.
- 2020-11-15 – Added details from Lost Omens Gods and Magic.
Thassilonian Resurgence Adventure Path (TRAP) Campaign
Jade Regent Adventure Path (JRAP) Campaign
b1 – Bestiary 1 (Paizo)
cr – Pathfinder Core Rulebook (Paizo)
gm – Game Master created
lopg – Lost Omens Players Guide (Paizo)
lowg – Lost Omens World Guide (Paizo)
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.