Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Primal Path – Storm Herald
Path of the Storm Herald
Storm Herald Overview
All barbarians harbour a fury within. Their rage grants them superior strength, durability, and speed. Barbarians who follow the Path of the Storm Herald learn to transform that rage into a mantle of primal magic, which swirls around them. When in a fury, a barbarian of this path taps into the forces of nature to create powerful magical effects.
Storm heralds are typically elite champions who train alongside druids, rangers, and others sworn to protect nature. Other storm heralds hone their craft in lodges in regions wracked by storms, in the frozen reaches at the world’s end, or deep in the hottest deserts.
- Patron of
- Matter – Living (Agriculture (4)) for Mountain (Earth)
- Thought – Science (Agriculture (4)) for Sea (Air)
- Racial – Genasi (Air (3)),
- Single Element Organisations – Thought – Wind,
- Associated Secret Crafts – Airologist (Agriculture, Air), Earthologist (Agriculture), Naturologist (Agriculture), Skyologist (Agriculture),
- Energy Immortals – Ninsun (Agriculture),
- Matter Immortals – Terra (Agriculture),
- Thought Immortals – Air Elemaster (Air), Frey (Agriculture), Odin (Air), Palartarken (Air), Ralon (Agriculture),
- Primary Pantheon/Immortals – Air (Air Elemaster, Odin, Palartarken), Alphatian Empire (Air Elemaster, Odin, Palartarken), Dwarven and Gnome (Frey, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra), Forest (Frey, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra), Halfling (Frey, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra), Land Guilds (Frey, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra), Myoshima (Frey, Ninsun, Ralon, Terra), Sky (Air Elemaster, Odin, Palartarken),
- Secondary Pantheon/Immortals – Dragonkin (Freyja, Terra), Dwarven and Gnome (Palartarken), Earth (Terra), Elven (Frey), Ethengarian (Frey), Forest (Air Elemaster), Giantkin (Frey), Halfling (Odin), Makai (Palartarken), Myoshima (Palartarken), Norse (Frey, Odin), Ocean (Air Elemaster), Radiance (Air Elemaster, Palartarken), Shadowlands (Air Elemaster), Thyatian Empire (Frey, Odin), Traladaran (Palartarken), Ylari (Air Elemaster),
- Councils – Ancient Ones (Air Elemaster, Odin), Assembly (Air Elemaster, Frey, Ninsun, Odin, Palartarken, Ralon, Terra), Celestials (Frey), Elemental Rules (Air Elemaster), Energy (Ninsun), Hierarch (Air Elemaster, Ninsun, Odin, Terra), Matter (Terra), Sphere (Terra), Temporal (Palartarken, Ralon), Thought (Air Elemaster, Frey, Odin, Palartarken, Ralon),
Storm Herald Elemental Variations
There are five types of Storm Herald which you must choose when taking this path:
- Desert – which is a fire aspect
- Mountains – which is an earth aspect
- Sea – which is an air aspect
- Shadowlands – which is a darkness aspect
- Tundra – which is a water aspect
Storm Herald Features
- (3rd) Storm Aura – Starting at 3rd level, you ema nate a stormy, magical aura while you rage. The aura extends 10 feet from you in every direction , but not through total cover.
- Your aura has an effect that activates when you enter your rage, and you can activate the effect again on each of your turns as a bonus action. Your aura’s effect depends on the chosen element, as detailed below.
- If your aura’s effects require a saving throw, the DC equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier.
- (6th) Storm Soul – At 6th level, the storm grants you benefits even when your aura isn’t active. The benefits are based on the environment you chose for your Storm Aura.
- (10th) Shielding Storm – At 10th level, you learn to use your mastery of the storm to protect others. Each creature of your choice has the damage resistance you gained from the Storm Soul feature while the creature is in your Storm Aura.
- (14th) Raging Storm – At 14th level, the power of the storm you channel grows mightier, lashing out at your foes. The effect is based on the environment you chose for your Storm Aura.
Air Aspected – Sea
- Storm Aura – When this effect is activated, you can choose one other creature you can see in your aura. The target must make a Dexterity saving throw. The target takes ld6 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to 2d6 at 10th level, 3d6 at 15th level, and 4d6 at 20th level.
- Storm Soul – You gain resistance to lightning and thunder damage, you know which way is north without landmarks, and have advantage on all dexterity checks and saving throws, while on a ship in the water.
- Raging Storm – When you hit a creature in your aura with an attack, you can use your reaction to force that creature to make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is knocked prone, as if struck down by thunder.
Darkness Aspected – Shadowlands
- Storm Aura – When this effect is activated , you can choose one other creature you can see in your aura you both gain 2 necrotic damage with melee attacks. The necrotic damage increase when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to 3 at 5th level, 4 at 10th level, 5 at 15th level, and 6 at 20th level.
- Storm Soul – You gain resistance to necrotic damage and gain darkvision 60 ft or increase your darkvision by 60 ft.
- Raging Storm – When you hit a creature with damage from your Storm Aura, you can use a reaction to force that creature to make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature suffers one level of exhaustion.
Earth Aspected – Mountain
- Storm Aura – When this effect is activated , you can choose other creatures you can see in your aura to take 2 scid damage. The acid damage increase when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to 3 at 5th level, 4 at 10th level, 5 at 15th level, and 6 at 20th level.
- Storm Soul – You gain resistance to acid damage, and you don’t suffer the effects of reduced movement on terrain.
- Raging Storm – Immediately after a creature in your aura is hit by damage from your Storm Aura, you can use your reaction to force that Creature to make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes acid damage equal to half your barbarian level.
Fire Aspected – Desert
- Storm Aura – When this effect is activated, all other creatures in your aura take 2 fire damage each. The damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to 3 at 5th level, 4 at 10th level, 5 at 15th level, and 6 at 20th level.
- Storm Soul – You gain resistance to fire damage, and you don’t suffer the effects of extreme heat, as described in the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Moreover, as an action, you can touch a flammable object that isn’t being worn or carried by anyone else and set it on fire.
- Raging Storm – Immediately after a creature in your aura hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to force that creature to make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes fire damage equal to half your barbarian level.
Water Aspected – Tundra
- Storm Aura – When this effect is activated, each creature of your choice in your aura gains 2 temporary hit points, as icy spirits inure it to suffering. The temporary hit points increase when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to 3 at 5th level, 4 at 10th level, 5 at 15th level, and 6 at 20th level.
- Storm Soul – You gain resistance to cold damage, and you don’t suffer the effects of extreme cold, as described in the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Moreover, as an action, you can touch water and turn a 5-foot cube of it into ice, which melts after 1 minute. This action fails if a creature is in the cube. And you can breathe underwater. You also gain a swimming speed of 30 feet
- Raging Storm – Whenever the effect of your Storm Aura is activated, you can choose one creature you can see in the aura. That creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw, or its speed is reduced to 0 until the start of your next turn, as magical frost covers it.
Path of the Storm Heald – GM Section
- Secret Crafts: Airologist, Cryptologist, Darkologist, Earthologist, Fireologist, Waterologist
- Locations: Alphatia, Atruaghin, Darokin, Ethengar, Glantri, Ierendi, Karameikos, Minrothad, Northern Reaches, Norwold Region, Thyatis, Ylaruam
- Races: All Races Air Aspected (Sea), Darkness Aspected (Shadowlands), Earth Aspected (Mountain), Fire Aspected (Desert), Water Aspected (Tundra)
- 2022-05-15 – Linking into the patron section.
- 2021-08-17 – Updates layout and menu. Cleaned up the Aspected traits to make sense for the element natures, with water breathing and swim moved to Tundra from Sea and adding in new entries for the replaced sea details.
Artificer: Alchemist, Armourer, Artillerist, Battle Smith, Bombardier, Engineer, Stitcher
Barbarian: Amber’s Enlightened, Ancestors, Ancestral Guardian, Battlerager, Beast, Beast Slayer, Bearsarker, Berserker, Carcharodon, Dreadnought, Fractured, Fungal Hulk, Harrier, Herculean, Juggernaut, Primal Spirit, Primordial Predator, Rager, Storm Herald, Tempest, Totem Warrior, Ulfhander, Wild Magic, Wizard Slayer, Zealot
Bard: Adventurers, Ancients, Creation, Eloquence, Entropy, Epic Poetry, Fey Magic, Glamour, Grace, Greenleaf, the Jester, Lore, Loremaster, Minstrel, Mirthful Mariarchi, Mountebank, Requiems, Singer of the Deeps, Spirits, Swords, Troubadour, Valour, Virtue, Warchanter, Whispers, Wyrdsingers
Cleric: Aberrance, Alhool Keener, Air, Ambition, Apocalypse, Arcana, Balance, Beauty, Beer, Blood, Cats, Chaos, City, Clockwork, Corruption, Crafts, Creation, Darkness, Death, Dragon, Earth, Eldritch, Enigma, Fire, Force, Forge, Grave, Healer, Hunger, Hunt, Hunting, Inquisition, Justice, Knowledge, Labyrinth, Law, Life, Light, Luck, Lust, Madness, Messiah of Ashes, Moon, Mountain, Mushroom, Naraneus, Nature, Nobility, Oceans, Oracle, Order, Peace, Prophecy, Repose, Sharing, Sickness, Solidarity, Speed, Strength, Sun Priest, Tempest, Time, Travel, Trickery, Twilight, Tyranny, Undeath, Void, War, Warpriest, Water, Winter, Zeal
Druid: Ancestors, Blood, Dreams, Feyfriend, the Forest Kingdom, Guardian, the Land, the Moon, Mushrooms, Mutation, Oaks, Owls, Roses, Sacrifice, the Shapeless and Prime Terror, the Shepherd, Skinchanger, Spirits, Stars, the Stones, the Tree of Life, Treespeaker, Wildfire
Fighter: Arcane Archer, Banneret, Battle Master, Bladebonded, Blind Duelist, Boarder, Brute, Bulwark Warrior, Captain, Cavalier, Champion, Clacking Mercenary, Duelist, Echo Knight, Edjet, Eldritch Knight, Fortune’s Smith, Gholaad’s Translation, Ghost Knight, Gladiator, Griffon Knight, Hoplite Soldier, Hospitaller, Knight, Knight Surgeon, Living Crucible, Living Vampire, Prescient Knight, Psi Warrior, Rune Knight, Samurai, Sapper, Sharpshooter, Shield Bearer, Smithkin, Sword Dancer, Thug, Weapons Master, Woodlands Cavalier
Marshal: Crusader, Gambling General, Guerrilla, Kingpin, Mindbender, Noble, Path (Master, Night, Reaper), Rallier, Reaver, Redeemer, Revolutionary, Strategist, Swift Strategist, Tactician, Talented Tactician, Tyrant, Warbringer
Monk: the Ascendant Dragon, the Astral Self, the Bo’faquan, the Crystal Cannonade, Brawler, the Cobalt Soul, the Drunken Master, the Elements, the Exalted Athlete, Iron, the Kensai, the Leaden Crown, the Long Death, Mercy, the Open Hand, Pain, Pride, Reaving Vortex, Shadow, the Shield, the Sun Soul, the Warrior Monk
Paladin: the Ancients, the Annihilator, the Ascetic, Battle, Conquest, the Crown, Despair, Destruction, Devotion, the Dragonlord, the Eagle, Elimination, the Errant, the Giving Grave, Glory, Green Knight, Holy Champion, Inquisitor, Mercy, Pearl, Pestilence, Perfection, the Radiance, the Raven, Redemption, Spear Maiden, Thunder, Vengeance, the Watchers, Zeal. Special – Oathbreaker
Ranger: Beast Master, Explorer, Fey Hunter, Fey Wanderer, Gloom Stalker, Green Reaper, Hidden Guardian, Horizon Walker, Horse Nomad, Hoyrall Shredder, Hunter, Monster Slayer, Netherworld, Explorer, Privateer, Swarmkeeper, Underminer, Unicorn Charger, Urban Shadow, Vampire Slayer, Vermin Lord, Warden, Wildborn, Zobecker Scout
Rogue: Arcane Trickster, Assassin, Burglar, Cutthroat, Duelist, Fixer, Highway Rider, Hitman, Infernal Talismancer, Inquisitive, Investigator, Mastermind, Misfortune Bringer, Odyssean, Phantom, Poisoner of Minds, Scout, Soulknife, Spy, Svirf Scientist, Swashbuckler, Thief, Trapsmith, Whisper
Scholar: Alchemy, Mind-Delving
Sorcerer: Aberrant Mind, Aristocratic, Ascendant, Bloodlines (Boreal, Draconic, Dryad, Enigma, Lycanthrope, Mazeborn, Nerid, Norn, Nymph, Satyr, Serophage, Shadow, Wretched), Clockwork Soul, Cunning Woman, Divine Inspiration, Divine Soul,, Draconist Elemental Essence, Facets (Flawless Caster, Gemblade), Farseer, Haunted, Psychic Magic, Pyromancer, Runechild, Shadow Magic, Soul Burner, Spore-cerer, Storm Sorcery, Traveler, Wild Magic
Underterror: Hel Savant, Slaver of the Damned, Underworld Monstrocity
Warlock: Alienist, Archfey, Archfiend, Black Woods, Celestial, Colloid, Diabolist, Fates, Fathomless, Fiend, First Vampire, Fragment Channeler of Zagnexis, Frozen One, the Genie, Genie Lord, Grand Void, Great Machine, Great Old One, Hexblade, Light Eater, Oracle, Parasite, Primeval One, Sargasso Siren, Sibyl, Spellbound, Undead, Undying, Voices of the Ancestors
Wizard: Academy Philosopher, Alkemancer, Angelic Scribe, Aquanaught, Arcane Specialist, Arcanist, Bladesinger, Blood Mage, Castellan, Chronury Magic, Demonologist, Disenchanter, Doom Croaker, Dragon Masks, Elementalist, Entropist, Geomancy, Graviturgy Magic, Illuminator, Mage, Master of Fiends, Mystifier, Necrophagy, Order of Scribes, Plague Doctor, Ring Warden, Rune Caller, Sangromancer, Schools (Abjuration, Artifice, Blood Magic, Clockwork, Conjuration, Divination, Elven High Magic, Enchantment, Entropy, Evocation, Illumination, Illusion, Necromancy, Pyromancer, Transmutation, Void Magic), Ship Mage, Timekeeper, Transgnomamist, War Mage, White Necromancer
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.