D&D – Five Spheres of Mystara
Immortals of Mystara
Thanatos – Sphere of Entropy
Player Section – Thanatos
Thanatos (Entropy, Hierarch 36)
- Favoured Weapon – Scythe
- Symbol – The black scythe (Shown on Holy Symbols of Mystara Day 45)
- Other Names – Darga, Father of Demons, Karr, Old Nick, Tha-to, The Eternal One, The Grim Reaper
- Patron of
- Immortal Titles – Ancient (13)
- Core Pantheons –
- Core Councils –
- Single Element Organisations – Entropy – The Dark
- Secret Crafts –
Appearance: a humanoid wrapped in dark stained bandages that hide his features, wearing a wide black robe, with rotten wings on his back and a black rusted scythe tightly hold in his skeletal claws.
- Pantheons –
- Immortal Councils – Ancient Ones (as Thanatos, Ancient),
- Barbarian – Storm Herald – ? (tba)
- Cleric – Air (tba),
- Monk – Elements – ? (tba),
- Paladin –
- Sorcerer – Draconic Bloodline – ? (tba), Elemental Essence – ? (tba),
- Warlock – Genie Lord – ? (tba), Great Old One (tba)
- Wizard – Elementalist – ? (tba),
- Domains: Apocalypse, Corruption, Death, Grave
- Patron – Monstrous Races (Scorpionfolk), Patron – Corruptors (Corruption, Decadence), Element (Destruction, Entropy), Living (Death)
- Hierarchs pantheon only – Sphere of Entropy (Hierarch)
- Entropy pantheon only – Sphere of Entropy (Hierarch)
- Spell List – Immortal – Thanatos
- Cantrip – Spectral Weapon (dWiki)
* details to come. R – Ritual Spells
- Elven (Father of Demons)
- Alphatian Empire (The Eternal One) Due to Patron of Corruptors group (Corruption and Decadence)
- Land Guilds (The Grim Reaper)
- Makai (The Grim Reaper)
- Ocean Guilds (Old Nick)
- Outcast (The Grim Reaper) Due to Patron of Death.
- Thyatian Empire (The Eternal One) Due to Patron of Corruption and Decadence
- Darkness (The Grim Reaper) Due to Patron of Death and Entropy.
- Forest (The Grim Reaper) Due to Patron of Living group (Death)
- Shadowlands (The Grim Reaper) Due to Patron of Entropy
- Entropy (Thanatos) Due to Member of Sphere of Entropy.
- Hierarchs (Thanatos) Due to Rank of Hierarch.
- Spheres (Thanatos) Due to Patron of Elements group (Destruction, Entropy)
- Assembly (Thanatos) Due to being an Immortal of Mystara.
Ancient Ones (Council)
- Core Immortals –
- Charter Patrons –
- Elements – Air (2)
- Immortal Titles – Aesirs (1), Ancient (13),
- Racial –
- Aerial Races – Aerial Races (2)
- Genasi Races – Air (2)
- Monstrous Races – Aranea (1)
- Charter Secret Crafts – Airologist (Aerial Races, Air), Shapeologist (Aranea), Skyologist (Aerial Races, Air), Skaldologist (Aesirs),
- Barbarian – Storm Herald – Sea (Air)
- Cleric – Air (Aerial Races, Air,), Arcana (Aranea), Knowledge (Aesirs), War (Aesirs),
- Monk – Elements – Air (Air),
- Paladin – Thunder (Air),
- Sorcerer – Draconic Bloodline – Air (Air), Elemental Essence – Air (Air), Storm Sorcery (Air),
- Warlock – Genie Lord – Air (Air),
- Wizard – Elementalist – Air (Air),
- Immortal of Energy (2) – Ixion (Hierarch 36, Ancient), Fire Elemaster (Hierarch 33, Ancient), Zugzul (Hierarch 32, Ancient),
- Immortals of Entropy (3) – Thanatos (Hierarch 36, Ancient), Hel (Hierarch 35, Ancient), Ouranos (Hierarch 34, Ancient)
- Immortals of Matter (1) – Earth Elemaster (Hierarch 33, Ancient),
- Immortals of Thought (3) – Odin (Hierarch 36, Aesirs, Air, Ancient), Air Elemaster (Hierarch 33, Aerial Races, Air, Ancient), Korotiku (Hierarch 32, Aranea),
- Immortals of Time (4) – Khoronus (Hierarch 36, Ancient), Water Elemaster (Hierarch 33, Ancient), Urd (Hierarch 32, Ancient), Simurgh (Eternal 26, Aerial Races, Ancient),
Thanatos’ Campaign Information
- Scorpionfolk (F59) – Worship this Immortal in the Hollow World.
AC 1007 – Thanatos and the Azcans, Thanatos and the Mellenians, Thanatos and the Nithians, Thanatos and the Shahjapurs.
Game Master Section – Thanatos
Note: This section cannot be referenced by players in my campaigns.
Thanatos – Hierarch of Energy (35)
- Sourcebooks: Mystara Players Handbook (5e-web-mph 105), Wrath of the Immortals Book One (0e-wi-bs1 37), Hollow World Dungeon Masters Sourcebook (0e-hw-dms 116), Vaults of Pandius (web-vop)
- Alignment: Chaotic
- Portfolio: The End of All Life, death, entropy, destruction, decadence, corruption.
- Other Names: Darga, Father of Demons, Karr, Old Nick, Tha-to, The Eternal One, The Grim Reaper
- Sponsor: Unknown
- Artefact Weapon: Black Scythe of Thanatos, Spear of Destruction (Destroyed)
- Special Creatures: Avatar of Thanatos (Undead)
Allies of Thanatos
Enemies of Thanatos
Opposes (can also be opposed by)
- Ixion (36) Hierarch of Energy
- Asterius (27) Eternal of Thought
- Atruaghin (32) Hierarch of Matter
- Chiron (6) Initiate of Matter
- Djaea (34) Hierarch of Matter
- Ka (35) Hierarch of Matter
Sponsorship Hierarchy – Entropy
- Sponsorship of the Entropy Sphere
- Hel (36) Hierarch of Entropy.
- Thanatos (35) Hierarch of Entropy.
- Alphaks (20) Empyreal of Entropy
- Arik (18) Celestial of Entropy
- Harrow (11) Temporal of Entropy moved from Thought (11)
- Atzanteotl (31) Hierarch of Entropy.
- Bachraeus (19) Empyreal of Entropy
- Demogorgon (30) Eternal of Entropy.
- Loki (30) Hierarch of Entropy.
- Orcus (26) Eternal of Entropy
- Ouranos (34) Hierarch of Entropy moved from Energy (35)
- Pharamond (32) Hierarch of Entropy moved from Energy
- Qywattz (21) Empyreal of Entropy moved from Thought (20)
- Ranivorus (16) Celestial of Entropy
- Loup (9) Temporal of Entropy moved from Thought (9)
- Talitha (25) Eternal of Entropy
History: Thanatos is one of the most powerful and ancient immortals in the Multiverse. Just like Odin, Valerias and Ixion, he states he has no memory of his mortal existence (if he ever had one) and doesn’t show the slightest interest in his past. During his eternal life he has continuously sowed the seeds of grief and death in the whole multiverse, using every means at his disposal. Thanatos embodies Death, the essence of the sphere he belongs to.
He has been involved in almost all of the major disasters that befell Mystara, notably the creation of the Burrowers (great anellids that possess awesome telepathic powers) to corrupt the people of the Hollow World, the first attempt at destroying Blackmoor (stopped at the very end by Asterius’s intervention when he was still a mortal), the internal strife that brought first Taymor and then Nithia to their fall (and total annihilation in the latter case), the hatred philosophy he instilled inside the Hattian people by impersonating their leader (Count Heinrich Oesterhaus) to cause a schism inside Thyatis,
and finally the Blood Brothers‘ plot that threatened to destroy the Hollow World and to kill many immortals (a plot that was foiled and which ultimately caused his demotion from the position of High Hierarch, a seat which now Hel holds).
Personality: Thanatos hates every kind of living form and he considers death as the only possible remedy to the pestilence that the living spread in the universe. For this reason he tries to bring death and destruction everywhere: this way Chaos will rule and death will be the perfect state of the universe. He uses every possible way to attain his goals (both raw force and complex schemes), and this makes him the most active Entropic in the universe. It doesn’t matter what’s the importance of his goal (whether it affects an individual or a whole country): Thanatos always puts all his efforts in succeeding with merciless devotion, savouring all of the single moments of grief he causes to the living up to the grand finale. He often loves to kill mortals and assume their identities to deceive his enemies and personally push his plans further, but most of the time he has to rely on the thousands of worshippers he has in the Multiverse to spin his web of wickedness.
Thanatos has no stable allies, but he does not hesitate to use other immortals as pawns or conscious (albeit temporary) allies in his plots, and none of the immortals he patronised could ever dare to refuse his requests. Thanatos has always survived thanks to his incredible cunning and merciless soul, and just because he knows he can go on eternally, he is not hurried when he plans something.
Info on Thanatos to be discovered by Groups
- Hule (Darga)
- Neathar (Karr)
- Nithian (Tha-to)
- Sind (Thanatos)
- Council of Old Ones (Thantos)
Design Details – Thanatos
Classic D&D (BECMI) Stats – Thanatos
- Followers Alignment: Chaotic
- Favoured weapon: scythe (allowed only two-handed weapons)
- Clerics skills and powers: death touch once a week (the victim touched must make a ST vs Death Ray or suffer the consequences based on the priest’s level: 1-11: victim faints for 1d6 rounds; 12+ victim dies for heartache); +2 bonus to general skills Thanatology, Necromancy and Toxicology; 9th level clerics can freely Animate Dead once a week; once dead, Thanatos’s clerics cannot be raised, and if they are at least 6th level they always come back from life 1d20 days after as intelligent corporeal undead with same HD as levels they had in life (unless their corpses have been dismembered, or destroyed, or blessed). Note: Thanatos’s clerics can only cast the reverse form of all the healing and resurrection spells.
- Avengers’ skills & powers: immune to energy drain; after death they come back as corporeal undead (see above) to bring more suffering in the world.
D&D 3.5 Stats – Thanatos
- Domains: Entropy, Chaos, Evil, Death, Destruction, Corruption
- Preferred weapon: scythe
Thanatos – Patron to Pantheon Links – This is to be the basis on who is in what Pantheon and why.
- Corruption and Decadence (patron) added to the Thyatian Empire pantheon.
- Corruption and Decadence (patron) added to the Corruptors patron group.
- Death (patron) added to the Darkness and Outcast pantheons.
- Death (patron) added to the Living patron group.
- Destruction (patron) added to the Darkness pantheon.
- Destruction (patron) added to the Elements patron group.
- Corruptors (patron group) added to the Alphatian Empire pantheon.
- Elements (patron group) added to the Spheres pantheon.
- Living (patron group) added to the Forest pantheon.
- Ancient (rank) added to the Ancient Ones pantheon.
- Hierarch (rank) added to the Hierarchs pantheon.
- Sphere of Entropy (rank group) added to Entropy pantheon.
- 2022-01-13 – Linked in the Hollow World Cycle of adventures.
- 2021-09-18 – Added in design changes and Patron to Pantheon links to show where this Immortal features in the Pantheon.
- 2021-08-20 – Added in enemy of Chiron.
- 2021-08-19 – Added in enemy of Djaea.
- 2021-08-16 – Added reusable Thanatos spell list.
- 2021-08-15 – Update to links and tags. Added new enemies Asterius, Atruaghin, Ka.
- 2021-08-05 – Updated layout.
- 2021-07-22 – Added in Avatar of Thanatos.
- 2021-06-23 – Added information from session F59 and more linking of content.
- 2020-06-23 – Added Allies, Enemies, History, Personality and Other system stats.
The Gods: The Immortals Overview, Patrons
GM Section: Immortality Overview, Path Conqueror, Path Dragon, Path Dynast, Path Epic Hero, Path Paragon, Path Polymath, Quest Petition, Quest Meeting
Energy/Fire (31): Alphatia (16), Bartziluth (24), Bemarris (3), Benekander (1), Branden 11), Coberham (18), Fire Elemaster (33), Guidarezzo (15), Heimdall (30), Iliric (8), Ilsundal (34), Ixion (36), Madarua (26), Mazikeen (27), Mahmatti (14), Matin (19), Mealiden (23), Minroth (13), Ninsun (35), Patura (10), Pflarr (25), Rad (22), Rafiel (21), Raith (12), Rathanos (28), Razud (31), Saturnius (20), The Shaper (7), The Shining One (29), Zirchev (17), Zugzul (32)
Entropy/Darkness (35): Alphaks (20), Aracne Prime (6), Arik (18), Atzanteotl (31), Bachraeus (19), Bagni (24), Brissard (10), Danel (14), Demogorgon (29), Harrow (11), Hel (36), Hircismus (12), Idris (15), Jammudaru (5), Kallala (22), Kiranjo (7), Kythria (2), Loki (30), Loup (9), Macroblan (27), Marwdyn (4), Masauwu (28), Nyx (33), Orcus (26), Ouranos (34), Pharamond (32), Qywattz (21), Ranivorus (16), Ruaidhri (3), Saasskas (23), Slizzark (17), Stodos (6), Talitha (25), Thanatos (35), Yagrai (13)
Matter/Earth (34): Atruaghin (32), Buglore (9), Chiron (6), Diamond (21), Djaea (34), Earth Elemaster (33), Faunus (11), Forsetta (7), Garl (13), Ground (19), Hattani (15), Ilmarinen (20), Infaust (16), Ka (35), Kagyar (28), Land (27), Lokena (2), Lornasen (10), Maat (30), N’grath (29), Opal (18), Paarkum (8), Polunius (25), Pearl (12), Tahkati (17), Terra (36), The Eternal General (14), The Great One (26), The Korrigans (24), The Twelve Watches (4), Utnapishtim (23), Valerias (31), Wayland (24), Wogar (5)
Thought/Air (36): Air Elemaster (32), Arnelee (8), Asterius (28), Clebard (2), Cochere (12), Cretia (16), Diulanna (18), Eiryndul (20), Frey (13), Freyja (13), Gorm (22), Halav (17), Karaash (5), Kersy (21), Korotiku (32), Koryis (10), Malinois (15), Ninfangle (27), Nob Nar (5), Noumena (34), Odin (36), Orisis (19), Palartarkan (11), Palson (4), Pax (35), Ralon (9), Sinbad (25), Soubrette (24), Ssu-Ma (23), Tarastia (30), Taroyas (6), Thalia (31), Thor (29), Turmis (1), Urtson (7), Usamigaras (27)
Time/Water (33): Al-Kalim (3), Ahmanni (14), Bastet (22), Brindorhin (14), Calitha (18), Carnelian (11), Chardastes (24), Crakkak (10), Finidel (7), Fugit (30), Gorrziok (25), Hymir (13), Khoronus (36), Liena (1), Luca (12), Malafor (15), Oleyan (6), Ordana (31), Petra (17), Protius (29), Raven (21), Sharpcrest (19), Simurgh (19), Skuld (34), Tiresias (9), Tourlain (8), Tyche (28), Urd (32), Vanya (23), Vethandi (35), Water Elemaster (33), Yav (20), Zalaj (27)
The Pantheons, The Immortals, The Divine Features
Racial Pantheons: Atruaghin, Dragonkin, Dwarven and Gnome, Elven, Ethengarian, Giantkin, Halfling, Traladaran
Cultural Pantheons: Alphatian Empire, Land Guilds, Makai, Norse, Ocean Guilds, Outcast, Thyatian Empire, Ylari
Elemental Pantheons: Air, Darkness, Earth, Fire, Forest, Ocean, Radiance, Shadowlands, Sky, Water
Immortal Pantheons: Celestials, Elemental Rulers, Empyreals, Energy, Entropy, Eternals, Hierarchs, Initiates, Matter, Spheres, Temporals, Thought, Time
Special Pantheons: Ancient Ones, Assembly, Azcan, Davania, Hollow World, Myoshima, Nithian, Norwold, Old Ones, Olympian, Savage Coast
Library of Books
B5, d20 System, Pathfinder, SW
This site is currently undergoing migration to www.thedarkelf007.com website due to needing a different set of tools that I had available to me on here.
Basic Links: Who Am I?, Home, Game Tools, Game Session Videos, My Campaigns, My Library, Site Map, Subscription Information
Game Systems: Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder 1 & 2, Shadowrun, Star Wars. Other Game Systems
Site sponsored by the author AS Hamilton (my wife) with her books available on amazon kindle.