PF2 – PFS Factions
Campaign – Sczarni Faction
Overview of the Sczarni Faction
The Sczarni faction within the Pathfinder Society represented Sczarni crimelord Guaril Karela and the rest of the Varisian crime organization.
- Leader: Guari Karela
- Alignment: Neutral
- Headquarters: Absalom
- Goals: Personal Gain
Ranks of the Sczarni Faction
- Runescarred (lowg119) (Fame +5)
Background of the Sczarni Faction
A loose affiliation of Varisian swindlers, thieves, and smugglers, the Sczarni don’t have much in common with the average Pathfinder. But to many, there’s little distinction between someone who robs the grave of an ancestor and someone who cons one out of her night’s dinner. Thus, when Sczarni and Pathfinders come to town, both are often lumped into the same category by suspicious natives and watchful legal authorities —troublesome people to watch out for. Though not officially allied, many Pathfinders work with local Sczarni throughout the region to aid one another in surviving, hopefully gaining a leg up in their own endeavours in the process.
Faction Goal – Personal Gain
Sczarni-affiliated Pathfinders seek wealth and information for their own gain when taking missions from the Society.
Spending Organisation Renown
- 1+ pts – New Spell: Access to a new spell. (Cost below)
- (1) Snowball (lowg112)
- 4+ Language Training:
- (4) Common Languages: Common, Gnome
- (8) Uncommon Languages: Shoanti and Varisian
- 4 pts – Greased Palms: You can use a social check to avoid being persecuted for a crime in a settlement of at least 5,000 people. (Sczarni faction members only)
- 5 pts – Magnimar Runegate: Access to the Pathfinder Lodge Runes in Magnimar via your Wayfinder.
- 2+ pts – Bard Multiclass Training (core 222)
- 2+ pts – Druid Multiclass Training (core 225)
- 2+ pts – Ranger Multiclass Training (core 228)
- 2+ pts – Rogue Multiclass Training (core 229)
- 4+ pts – Runescarred Training (lowg119) You gain a new feat from the Runescarred and gain the title Runescarred.
- 10+ pts – Caravan Traveller: You gain Lore for a city visited by the Scarzi. If you are upgrading the lore this way it costs and extra 10 points for each level of expertise it already has.
- 20 pts – Fence Contact: You can a contact in a specific city that will get you an additional 10% of the resale sale price of an item. This can be used once per week.
- 40 pts – Front: The sczarni help you set up a business which they use as a front for their activities earning you additional income based on the size of the settlement.
Gaining and Losing Renown in the Sczarni Faction
Pathfinders working in tandem with the Sczarni often earn reputations within the insular organisation by delivering or retrieving messages from other operatives in the field, transporting stolen goods while on otherwise standard Pathfinder business, and sometimes stealing from or conning innocents along the way. Few Sczarni admit they belong to the loose affiliation, and even fewer Pathfinders boast of their association with the ill-reputed crooks. While Pathfinder agents who can operate without catching the notice of their friends and allies are a great asset to the Sczarni, conversely, some Sczarni prefer to be seen in the company of acclaimed and well respected adventurers such as ostentatious Pathfinders, hoping the latter group’s more positive reputation will rub off on their own oft-maligned brethren. But sometimes more virtuous Pathfinders are simply sent on Sczarni missions to allow the criminals to keep good company while doing something less than honourable behind the Pathfinders’ backs.
Gaining faction renown
- +1 renown – Completing an Objective of the Sczarni Faction
- +1 renown – Gaining a level while a member of the Sczarni Faction
Losing faction Renown
- -1 renown – Turning down a Sczarni Faction quest.
- -1 renown – Failing to achieve an Sczarni Objective in an accepted quest.
- – half current renown – changing factions within the society.
Letters from the Faction
Characters associated with these adventures have the following letters:
#1 – Aspirant Pathfinders (acceptance into the Sczarni Faction)
#1 – Aspirant Pathfinders
While I may not have official ties to the Pathfinder Society, I have many friends in the organisation, and I hope you will be among them. The oft-maligned affiliation of Varisian entrepreneurs to which I belong can be of great assistance to an agent like yourself, who is working to earn a living while travelling the world. If, from time to time, I ask you to do some favours for me, I will ensure that the resources of our world-spanning brotherhood are at your disposal. As long as you’re fine with bending the rules here and there to ensure our mutual benefit, I believe we have a bright future together. Our lines of work overlap more than you may anticipate—expect word from me soon, and let me know how we Sczarni can assist you and the Society.
To reciprocated favours,
Characters can receive the physical sign on bonus from any of the other factions.
- 2021-08-11 – Fixing error in leader, updated to layout and links.
Other Settlements: Abken, Baslwief, Biston, Galduria, Harse, Ilsurian, Janderhoff, Kaer Maga, Melfesh, Nybor, Palin’s Cove, Ravenmoor, Roderic’s Cove, Sandpoint, Sirathu, Turtleback Ferry, Urglin, Velderaine, Wartle, Whistledown, Windsong Abbey, Wolf’s Ear
Other Locations: Ashwood, Bloodsworn Vale, Brinewall, Calphiak Mountains, Celwynvian, Chorak’s Tomb, Churlwood, Cinderlands, Crystalrock, Crystilan, Curchain Hills, Ember Lake, Fenwall Mountains, Fogscar Mountains, Gnashers, Gruankus, Guiltspur, Hollow Mountain, Hook Mountain, Iron Peaks, Kodar Mountains, Lady’s Light, Lurkwood, Malgorian Mountains, Mierani Forest, Minderhal’s Anvil, Mindspin Mountains, Mobhad Leigh, Mundatei, Mushfelns, Nolands, Red Mountains, Rift of Niltak, Rimeskull, Sanos Forest, Shimmerglens, Skotha Lake, Skull’s Crossing, Spindlehorn, Spire of Lemriss, Stormunder Lake, Stony Mountains, Storval Deep, Storval Plateau, Storval Stairs, Sunken Queen, Syrantula Lake, Varisian Gulf, Velashu River, Velashu Uplands, Viperwall, Wormwood Hall, Wyvern Mountains, Yondabakari River
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. For managing your subscriptions see Subscription Information.