Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Artefact – Rheddrian’s Staff
Player Section – Rheddrian’s Staff
- Artefact – Energy – Benekander – Rheddrian’s Staff
- Standard: Black staff made of enchanted ebony 6 ft tall.
- Staff acts as a +1 Quarterstaff and you are considered to be proficient in its use if not already.
- Staff acts as a +0 item bonus to Knowledge checks about Technology while providing proficiency with these skills.
- The staff has 10 charges. The staff regains 1d4 expended charges at dawn. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the staff blackens, crumbles into cinders, and is destroyed.
- You can spend a charge of the staff to have resistance to fire damage while you hold this staff, until you have a short rest.
- A Mechologist can use PP in place of part of all SB taking no additional Soul Burn for the effort. Each PP counts as one SB.
- This item has standard powers: Speak with Rheddrian, and Energy’s Empowerment. (these hurt the user to activate)
- Attunement: If this staff is attuned you gain the following qualities
- When used as a quarterstaff adds its bonus to the number of damage dice of the weapon.
- Staff acts as a +1 item bonus to Knowledge checks about Technology while providing proficiency with these skills.
- Your proficiency level in the staff is increased by the item bonus. (see Weapons Mastery). For every increase over Grand Master, you gain an extra dice of damage.
- The staff regains 1d6 + 4 expended charges after a long rest.
- While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast one of the following spells from it, using your spell save DC: burning hands (1 charge), fireball (3 charges), or wall of fire (4 charges).
- A Mechologist can use PP in place of part of all SB taking no additional Soul Burn for the effort. Each PP counts as two SB.
- This item has attuned powers: Wind Wall (these hurt the user to activate)
- Relic: A fire aspected character gains a bonus to their intelligence and fire based magic attacks of the weapon bonus. If water, cold or force magic is used, the user takes a penalty instead.
- Standard: Black staff made of enchanted ebony 6 ft tall.
- Note: When a power with PP is used, roll a d20. Further awakening on the item can bring more powers. During the time with missing immortals, all powers of artefacts uses channel life energy sacrificing a characters maximum hit points as their normal power sources in unavailable.
Item still to be Awakened
- Awakened: One the item is awakened it auto-attunes to someone, no longer takes up an attunement slot and makes you unable to touch another Artefact.
- Staff acts as a +2 Quarterstaff.
- Staff acts as a +3 item bonus to Knowledge checks about Technology while providing proficiency with these skills.
- You have resistance to fire damage while you hold this staff
- A Mechologist can use PP in place of part of all SB taking no additional Soul Burn for the effort. Each PP counts as three SB.
- This item has awakened powers: .
- Staff gains Sentience Stage 1
- Exalted Status: Currently unknown.
- Exalted: Once the item is exalted it remains that way.
- Staff acts as a +3 Quarterstaff.
- Staff acts as a +4 item bonus to Knowledge checks about Technology while providing proficiency with these skills.
- You and your allies within 15 ft have resistance to fire damage while you hold this staff
- A Mechologist can use PP in place of part of all SB taking no additional Soul Burn for the effort. Each PP counts as four SB.
- This item has exalted powers:
- Staff gains Sentience Stage 2
GM Section – Rheddrian’s Staff
Note: Discussing GM Section in character at the game table causes your character to take a penalty. Full penalty details are discovered by trial and error.
- Handicap: A -2 to saving throws vs Fire based attacks. Lasts until one full moon transition has passed since they last touched it.
- Power Points: Base 8, Attuned 10, Awaken 12, Exalted 14 PP.
- Recharge: Base 4 PP, Attuned 5 PP, Awakened 6 PP, Exalted 7 PP per long rest.
- Channel Life Energy: A character can sacrifice their own life energy to power the artefact avoiding the chance for a penalty, this reduces your maximum hit points by the points spent.
- Energy’s Empowerment: Can use this item as part of casting a spell to enhance the spell with time with one of the following effects: Note: This can’t enhance cold or water spells.
- Caster check to cast a Evocation or Illusion spell as if native to region including in the hollow world 1 PP per spell level. (1 to poins spent on a d20 chance of a penalty)
- 1 PP Change the damage of a spell to Fire damage
- +1 damage dice per PP used
- 1 PP per level of spell Empower Evocation and Illusion Spell with Immortal power
- 1 PP per level of spell to bypass spell restrictions
- A critical hit with this weapon will give the target disadvantage on saving throws vs magic for a round. (1 PP)
- Speak with Rheddrian: Costs 2 PP. You can communicate with Rheddrian and ask him three questions. (1 to 2 on a d20 chance of a penalty)
- Wind Wall: Costs 3 PP. You cast the Wind Wall spell, it can’t be dispelled by anything less than Immortal magic. (1 to 3 on a d20 chance of a penalty)
You forget a spell of the highest slot you have memorised; it is removed from your known spells and you can never relearn it. If you do not have a spell memorised, then you reduce your maximum hit points by 1 HP per character level. Neither of these penalties expire or can be removed by mortal magic.
Associated with adventure Rheddrian’s Investigation Bureau.
- Staff – Tuesday
- 1005-?? Tidal (Waterchild Monk) Gift from Rhreddrian in Darokin City, Darokin,
- Staff – Wednesday (yes there are two so far)
- 1005-01-01 – Boris (Human) Gift from Rheddrian in the Darokin City, Darokin.
- ????-??-?? – Bradshaw (Drawf Fighter) Carrying only
- 1006-03-27 – Chum (Human Barbarian) Attuned to item and has lost -1 HP per level.
- 1006-06-01 – Willy (Halfling Bard) representative of Rheddrian to travel with the party
- Staff – Friday (now there are three)
- ?? Xhall (Ethengarian Cleric) Gift from Rhreddrian in Darokin City, Darokin.
- ?? Shoval (Firechild Paladin) Taken up when Xhall was trapped with a T-Rex in a status ball.
- Handicap – This is an effect applied to all who pend PP while handling the item until the given time has passed.
- Penalty – A penalty can be removed by a special downtime activity with discussion and approval by games master only. (limit once per game year)
- Plane Locked – All artefacts cannot be taken through extra dimensional travel, this includes teleportation, fey step and dimensional travel.
- Power Points (PP) – This is the amount of power points that the artefact can draw upon to use its abilities. All abilities with a PP cost have a chance of causing a penalty on a d20 equal to the cost. Use of PP also causes the wielder to reduce their maximum hit points by the PP spent. This lost hit points uses the Soul Burn mechanics from Secret Crafts.
- Recharge – the amount of power points that the artefact will refresh over a set time.
- Set Items – can be combined to form a more powerful item.
- Team Item – can provide other powers if members of the part wield other items in the team set.
Source: Wrath of the Immortals – The Immortal’s Fury (0e-wi-b2-34)
- Sphere of Energy
- Minor Artifact: 60 Power Points. Four powers, one handicap, one penalty
- Vessel: Black staff made of heavy enchanted ebony: 6′ tall.
- Monetary Value: non apparent.
- Weapon Characteristics: Weapon is +1 to hot and damage, and does 1d10 damage per strike.
- Defense Power: Protection from normal missiles (as spell of same name). Cost: 20 TP per use.
- Information Power: Can be used to commune with the artifacts creator. Cost: 30 TP.
- Activation of Power: All that is need to activate communie is to mediate for a minute and then call “Rheddrian”. To activate protection from normal missiles, the wielder simply says “Shield me!”.
- Handicap: Saving Throw Penalty. The character suffers a -2 penalty whenever attacked by fire magic.
- Penalty: Forgetfulness. When the commune power is used, the invoker suffers a 20% chance to forget one spell from memory, the protection from normal missiles causes a 10% chance to forget one spell from memory. Only mortals are affected by these penalties.
- Total Cost: 60 PP
- 2021-08-1 – Updated history to link in originating adventure.
- 2021-08-06 – Updated the PP cost and layout, included secret craft and weapons mastery updates. Added in the Original Item.
- 2021-05-01 – Updated with more information.
- 2020-10-26 – Cleaning up powers of the artefacts.
Wondrous Items: Crown of Air (Matter – Opal), Crown of Darkness (Entropy – Idris), Crown of the Dragonlord (Matter – The Great One), Crown of Earth (Matter – The Great One), Crown of Fire (Matter – Diamond), Crown of Water (Matter – Pearl), Tree of Life (Energy – Ilsundal), Yehm’s Diamond (Thought – Korotiku)
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.