Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Races – Dwarf of Earth (Stonebound)
Sourcebooks: Players Handbook (ph20)
Also known as Mountain Dwarves.
The children of Kagyar, these dwarves are at home under the mountain. At birth they receive a prophecy of their deaths, this is to either serve as a warning on how they should live their life or inspire them to overcome the odds. They are slow to trust outsiders, more at home among their own kind. A lot of these dwarves believe that gnomes are a trick of the gods and don’t really exist.
Happy to live their lives underground and never seeing the sky. They are associated with the Sphere of Matter, the element of Earth, and the colour of brown.
- Attributes – Dwarven Traits:
- Ability Score Increase: Constitution +2
- Alignment: Dwarves are Lawful in general
- Size: 4 to 5 ft tall and average about 150 pounds. Medium size.
- Speed: base walking is 25 ft and your speed is not reduced by heavy armour
- Darkvision (Dwarf) you can see in dim light within 60 ft as it was bright light, and darkness as if it was dim light. You can’t discern colour in darkness, only shades of grey.
- Dwarven Combat Training – Weapons Mastery: Gains proficiency with five weapons of significance of your choice. If you have proficiency with these weapons, they are upgraded to skilled. Standard Weapons – Battleaxe, Handaxe, Throwing Hammer, and Warhammer
- Tool Proficiency: You are proficient with the artisan’s tools of your choice: Smith’s tools, brewer’s supplies, or mason’s tools.
- Stonecunning (Dwarf) Whenever you make a Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.
- Prophecy: Each dwarf is given a prophecy from their birth that describes how they die.
- Languages: You speak, read and write Common (Thyatian) and Dwarvish.
- Pantheon: Dwarven and Gnome
- Character Options – Available to all Dwarven Subraces
- Darokin: Buhrodar and Torkrest Clan colonies.
- Ethengar: Skrklist and Torkrest Clan colonies.
- Karameikos: Skrklist Clan colony.
- Northern Reaches: Skrklist and Torkrst Clan colonies.
- Rockhome: Buhrodar, Everast, Skrklist and Torkrest Clans homeland.
- Buhrodar (Darokin, Rockhome) Dwarven clan descended from a religious fighting brotherhood, the “Order of Golden Battle”.
- Everast (Rockhome) Dwarven clan named “High Mountain”. Nobility.
- Skrklist (Ethengar, Karameikos, Northern Reaches, Rockhome) Dwarven clan name means “hue of freshly polished silver”. Interested in mining and trading.
- Torkrest (Darokin, Ethengar, Nothern Reaches, Rockhome) Dwarven clan name means “Strongtooth”. The main interest of this clan is warfare.
The Stonebound people are an evolution from the Old Dwarves. They are connected to earth and mountains.
- Height – men and women 4’ to 5′.
- Complexion – Tan skinned.
- Colouration – skin is tan to brown and hair black with eyes of rich copper.
- Known Locations – Ethengar, Rockhome.
- Traits – based on the Mountain Dwarf and meets any requirements requiring that race.
- Attributes – Dwarven – Stonebound (Dwarf of Earth) Traits
- Ability Score Increase: Strength +2.
- Heart of Stone (Stonebound) You have advantage on saving throws against necrotic and radiant effects. You have resistance to necrotic and acid damage, resistance to magical healing. You also have weakness to lightning damage. While touching the earth you can find your way back from where you have come.
- Dwarven Armour Training: You have proficiency with light and medium armour.
- Master Crafter: They have expertise with their chosen profession when reaching adult.
- Evolution (1st Evolution): Counts as the Old Dwarf and Genasi races for the purposes of effects and magical items. As a 1st evolution, there is a 25% chance for any offspring to be a Genasi.
Most Stonebound have the Earth Aspected Traits, to select other elemental traits please gain the game masters permission.
Attributes – Earth Aspected Traits
- Ability Score Increase: Constitution +2
- Appearance: Green eyes, Veins, Skin or Hair are trademarks of Earth Aspected characters.
- Touch of the Earth (Earth aspect) While taking a short rest on raw unworked earth or stone, you can spend 1 HD to roll two dice and take the results of both.
- Power of Matter (Earth aspect) When using (or effected by) Acid or Poison you add your proficiency bonus to the damage (or reduce damage taken) and cause your eyes to glow green till the start of your next turn.
- Danger of Thought (Earth aspect) When hit by Lighting or Thunder damage you take additional damage equal to your proficiency. Lightning and Thunder effects you use, have their attack, damage and saving throw reduced by your proficiency instead of increased by it.
- Earth Evolution: Counts as a Genasi for the purposes of using Earth Genasi effects and magical items, but not as a Earth Genasi. With every genasi offspring there is a d20 roll to determine their elemental aspect:
- 80% chance of an Earth Aspected child (1 to 16)
- 5% chance of an one of the other elements aspects. Air (17), Darkness (18), Fire (19), Water (20)
- Character Options – All Earth Aspected Sub-Races
Stonebound Character Options
- Locations: Darokin, Ethengar, Karameikos, Northern Reaches, Rockhome
- Stonebound Class Options
- Barbarian – Path of the Ancestors, Path of the Ancestral Guardian, Path of the Battlerager
- Bard – College of Valour
- Druid – Circle of the Land (Mountain)
- Fighter – Banneret, Battle Master, Hospitaller, Shield Bearer
- Monk – Way of Iron
- Paladin – Oath of Battle, Oath of the Crown, Oath of Perfection
- Ranger – Beast Master, Monster Slayer
- Sorcerer – Divine Inspiration, Divine Soul
- Warlock – Pact of the Celestial
- Wizard – Ring Warden
Stonebound Campaign Examples
- Mystara Wednesday Campaign: Bradshaw (fighter)
- Mystara Friday Campaign M’Drak (bard)
Stonebound Dwarf Racial Magical Items
Dwarves associated with military might. See all (Stonebound) items listed below as your relic magical items. You can also treat (Dwarven) as relic items as well. See Genasi Overview for (Earthchild) genasi items you can use is if you were a genasi.
- Stonebound – The items from these people have a tendency to deal with military might style items.
- Dwarven – The items from these people have a tendency to deal with a mining and crafting style. A Dwarf (and all Dwarven subtypes) can use the base dwarf relic trait of all Dwarven items.
- Genasi (Earth) – These are elemental earth based items. A Stonebound can use the relic trait of the item is if they are a base Genasi, just not the Earth aspect relic trait.
Design Decisions for Stonebound
I have taken the Mountian dwaves and named them the Stonebound dwarves to help keep the main theme of the race as well as tie more deeply into the lore for an earth aspected dwarf. This is concidered the “pure” dwarf of rockhome who look down upon other dwarves as lesser, and then other races after that.
- 2021-08-18 – Updated the classes and magical items.
- 2021-08-05 – Updated the layout.
- 2020-06-28 – Added references.
- 2020-05-07 – Added in Heart of Stone trait to match the planned changes for all the dwarves to keep the new theme.
Dragonkind Overview: Air (Crystalborn, Silverborn, Whiteborn), Darkness (Blackborn, Brassborn, Onyxborn), Earth (Copperborn, Emeraldborn, Greenborn), Fire( Amberborn, Goldborn, Redborn, Rubyborn), Water (Blueborn, Bronzeborn, Sapphineborn)
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.