Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Design Part 12 – The Classes Overview
This is an series of articles on which 5th Edition classes are available in my campaign and where you will find a teacher. It starts out with Humans and Dwarves being the source of all classes, due to the other races still being in development so this will be updated as that expands as well. Expect to see additions due to those races over the next year or two. This is a long term project so I am not rushing to complete it, doing one sub race at a time.
Classes Available: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock and Wizard.
The Barbarian class has no rule changes except that the list of selectable paths are below.
- Path of the Ancestors
- Path of the Ancestral Guardian
- Path of the Battlerager
- Path of the Berserker
- Path of the Harrier
- Path of the Juggernaut
- Path of the Storm Herald
- Path of the Totem Warrior
- Path of the Zealot
The Bard class includes a ritual book as part of its starting option with two bard rituals that the character has also learnt of the players choice.
- College of Entropy
- College of Fey Magic
- College of Glamour
- College of the Jester
- College of Lore
- College of Swords
- College of Valour
- College of Virtue
- College of Whispers
- Greenleaf College
Clerics gains their spells from the gods, and each sphere has gods associated with that sphere that can be selected as the source of the spells. Characters can either choose a Sphere (and associated god) or a religious organisation which includes a pantheon. All divine power comes from the gods.
Clerics start the game with a prayerbook, identical to a spellbook, and it contains the same amount of spells as a wizards, gaining two new known spells per level. They includes a ritual book as part of its starting option with two cleric rituals that the character has also learnt of the players choice.
Spheres and Domains:
- Sphere of Energy (Fire, Light, War) – other domains (Arcana, Hunting, Travel, Zeal)
- Sphere of Matter (Earth, Forge, Nature) – other domains (Beer, Creation, Dragon, Hunt, Moon, Mountain, Strength)
- Sphere of Thought (Air, Knowledge, Trickery) – other domains (Balance, Beauty, Justice, Labyrinth, Solidarity, Tempest)
- Sphere of Time (Life, Speed, Water) – other domains (Cat, Clockwork, Ocean, Prophecy, Repose, Time)
- Sphere of Entropy (Darkness, Death, Grave) – other domains (Ambition, Apocalypse, Blood, Corruption, Lust, Madness, Tyranny, Void)
General Pantheons: The general pantheons are more based around nature and the environment that any one particular race or culture. These pantheons represent various environments around the setting and are good places for druids and rangers to find their gods (Immortal) or simply follow the concept of the Pantheon.
- Forest – for all creatures of the woodlands and animalistic races. All patrons of the forest, nature and creatures of the forest are found here.
- Ocean – for all creatures of the ocean, both on its surface, and below the waves. Each of the patrons of the sea should be here.
- Radiance – Followed mainly in the Glantri region. Not really considered a religion by its followers.
- Shadowlands – for all creatures who live deep under the ground. All the underground races were lumped together as there is some overlap in the storylines, so it sort of fits.
- Sky – for all creatures who live in the sky and mountain tops. This was a good place for all patrons of flying creatures and contraptions.
Racial Pantheons: These are pantheons that are more to do with a character’s race than where they are or what sort of environment they prefer. They usually feature racial heroes who have become gods.
- Dragonkin – Followed by the Dragonborn, Lizardfolk, Kobolds and the Dragons. There are more dragon gods than I expected, though there are references to a previous pantheon of dragon gods that are not listed.
- Dwarven & Gnome – Followed by dwarves and gnomes. All of the Dwarf and Gnome patrons ended up here as there was not enough to stand on their own in the first cut of the gods.
- Elven – Followed by elves. All elven immortals and their patrons ended up in here.
- Genasi – Followed by Alphatian Empire and Genasi everywhere. All the gods are titled. As a major player in the world they have one of the biggest pantheons and it helps show why they struggle to get traction when you have a lot of voices giving directions.
- Halfling – Followed by Halflings. Mainly halfling patrons and halfling that became immortals.
- Makai – followed mainly in the Ierendi and Minrothad region.
- Traladaran – The religion of the Karameikos subjugated people and can be found where the Traladaran people migrate to.
- Ylari – Followers are where you find the Ylari people, Alasiyan and Makistani.
Cultural Pantheons: these are pantheons that surpass races and embrace a culture no matter the race involved.
- Norse – the Norse religion, followed in the region and by Heldannic people and others in the Northern Reaches.
- Ocean Guild – followed by sea traders, the guilds and the Minrothad region.
- Outcast – Followed by monstrous races such as Orcs, Trolls and Giants. A good catch all group for these races and those who support a more conquest themed religion.
Known World Pantheons: These are the pantheons that are founded in the nation or is the cultural source of the human religion. They usually feature heroes of the nation.
- Atruaghin Clans – Followed by the clans only in the region.
- Darokin – Followed by caravan trader, the republic and their diplomats.
- Ethengar – Followed by the people of Ethengar, where they might be found.
- Thyatian – the religion of Thyatis and Karameikos, based around roman ideals and using descriptors for the gods. Followed by Thyatian people everywhere.
There are more pantheons in the greater world, but those are not starting pantheons for player characters and will be explored in the cleric update.
Each druid gains their divine spells from one of the gods who look after nature.
Druids start the game with a craftbook, identical to a spellbook, and it contains the same amount of spells as a wizards, gaining two new known spells per level. They includes a ritual book as part of its starting option with two druid rituals that the character has also learnt of the players choice.
- Circle of Dreams
- Circle of the Forest Kingdom
- Circle of the Land
- Circle of the Moon
- Circle of the Shapeless and Prime Terror
- Circle of the Shepherd
- Circle of the Stones
- Circle of the Tree of Life
- Feyfriend Circle
The Fighter class has no rule changes except that the list of selectable martial archetypes are below.
- Arcane Archer
- Battle Master
- Clacking Mercenary
- Eldritch Knight
- Ghost Knight
- Griffon Knight
- Knight Surgeon
- Shield Bearer
- Sword Dancer
- Weapons Master
- Woodlands Cavalier
The Monk class has no rule changes except that the list of selectable traditions are below.
- Way of the Cobalt Soul
- Way of the Drunken Master
- Way of the Elements
- Way of Iron
- Way of the Kensai
- Way of the Long Death
- Way of the Open Hand
- Way of Shadow
- Way of the Sun Soul
Each paladin receives their spells from one of the Spheres (and specific associated god) or from a religious organisation (or a pantheon)
Paladin start the game with a prayerbook, identical to a spellbook, and it contains the same amount of spells as a wizards, gaining two new known spells per level. They includes a ritual book as part of its starting option with two paladin rituals that the character has also learnt of the players choice.
- Oath of the Ancients
- Oath of the Ascetic
- Oath of Battle
- Oath of Conquest
- Oath of the Crown
- Oath of Devotion
- Oath of the Eagle
- Oath of the Giving Grave
- Oath of Mercy
- Oath of Perfection
- Oath of the Radiance
- Oath of Redemption
- Oath of Thunder
- Oath of Vengeance
The Ranger class includes a ritual book as part of its starting option with two ranger rituals that the character has also learnt of the players choice.
- Beast Master
- Fey Hunter
- Gloom Stalker
- Hidden Guardian
- Horizon Walker
- Monster Slayer
- Unicorn Charger
- Vampire Slayer
- Zobecker Scout
The Rogue class has no rule changes except that the list of selectable rogue archetypes are below.
- Arcane Trickster
The Sorcerer class includes a ritual book as part of its starting option with two sorcerer rituals that the character has also learnt of the players choice.
- Divine Inspiration
- Divine Soul
- Draconic Bloodline
- Dryad Bloodline
- Elemental Essence
- Lycanthropic Bloodline
- Mazeborn Bloodline
- Nerid Bloodline
- Norn Bloodline
- Nymph Bloodline
- Satyr Bloodline
- Serophage Bloodline
- Shadow Bloodline
- Shadow Magic
- Storm Sorcery
- Wild Magic
The Warlock class includes a ritual book as part of its starting option with two warlock rituals that the character has also learnt of the players choice.
- Pact of The Archfey
- Pact of The Celestial
- Pact of The Black Woods
- Pact of The Fiend
- Pact of The Genie Lord
- Pact of The Great Machine
- Pact of The Great Old One
- Pact of The Hexblade
- Pact of The Light Eater
- Pact of The Oracle
- Pact of The Undying
The Wizard class includes a ritual book as part of its starting option with two wizard rituals that the character has also learnt of the players choice.
- Angelic Scribe
- Doom Croaker
- Dragon Masks
- Ring Warden
- School of Abjuration
- School of Artifice
- School of Blood Magic
- School of Clockwork
- School of Conjuration
- School of Divination
- School of Elven High Magic
- School of Enchantment
- School of Entropy
- School of Evocation
- School of Illumination
- School of Illusion
- School of Necromancy
- School of Transmutation
- School of Void Magic
- War Magic
- 2021-08-05 – Update to layout and links
- 2020-04-16 – Updating structure and cleric religions.
Artificer: Alchemist, Armourer, Artillerist, Battle Smith, Bombardier, Engineer, Stitcher
Barbarian: Amber’s Enlightened, Ancestors, Ancestral Guardian, Battlerager, Beast, Beast Slayer, Bearsarker, Berserker, Carcharodon, Dreadnought, Fractured, Fungal Hulk, Harrier, Herculean, Juggernaut, Primal Spirit, Primordial Predator, Rager, Storm Herald, Tempest, Totem Warrior, Ulfhander, Wild Magic, Wizard Slayer, Zealot
Bard: Adventurers, Ancients, Creation, Eloquence, Entropy, Epic Poetry, Fey Magic, Glamour, Grace, Greenleaf, the Jester, Lore, Loremaster, Minstrel, Mirthful Mariarchi, Mountebank, Requiems, Singer of the Deeps, Spirits, Swords, Troubadour, Valour, Virtue, Warchanter, Whispers, Wyrdsingers
Cleric: Aberrance, Alhool Keener, Air, Ambition, Apocalypse, Arcana, Balance, Beauty, Beer, Blood, Cats, Chaos, City, Clockwork, Corruption, Crafts, Creation, Darkness, Death, Dragon, Earth, Eldritch, Enigma, Fire, Force, Forge, Grave, Healer, Hunger, Hunt, Hunting, Inquisition, Justice, Knowledge, Labyrinth, Law, Life, Light, Luck, Lust, Madness, Messiah of Ashes, Moon, Mountain, Mushroom, Naraneus, Nature, Nobility, Oceans, Oracle, Order, Peace, Prophecy, Repose, Sharing, Sickness, Solidarity, Speed, Strength, Sun Priest, Tempest, Time, Travel, Trickery, Twilight, Tyranny, Undeath, Void, War, Warpriest, Water, Winter, Zeal
Druid: Ancestors, Blood, Dreams, Feyfriend, the Forest Kingdom, Guardian, the Land, the Moon, Mushrooms, Mutation, Oaks, Owls, Roses, Sacrifice, the Shapeless and Prime Terror, the Shepherd, Skinchanger, Spirits, Stars, the Stones, the Tree of Life, Treespeaker, Wildfire
Fighter: Arcane Archer, Banneret, Battle Master, Bladebonded, Blind Duelist, Boarder, Brute, Bulwark Warrior, Captain, Cavalier, Champion, Clacking Mercenary, Duelist, Echo Knight, Edjet, Eldritch Knight, Fortune’s Smith, Gholaad’s Translation, Ghost Knight, Gladiator, Griffon Knight, Hoplite Soldier, Hospitaller, Knight, Knight Surgeon, Living Crucible, Living Vampire, Prescient Knight, Psi Warrior, Rune Knight, Samurai, Sapper, Sharpshooter, Shield Bearer, Smithkin, Sword Dancer, Thug, Weapons Master, Woodlands Cavalier
Marshal: Crusader, Gambling General, Guerrilla, Kingpin, Mindbender, Noble, Path (Master, Night, Reaper), Rallier, Reaver, Redeemer, Revolutionary, Strategist, Swift Strategist, Tactician, Talented Tactician, Tyrant, Warbringer
Monk: the Ascendant Dragon, the Astral Self, the Bo’faquan, the Crystal Cannonade, Brawler, the Cobalt Soul, the Drunken Master, the Elements, the Exalted Athlete, Iron, the Kensai, the Leaden Crown, the Long Death, Mercy, the Open Hand, Pain, Pride, Reaving Vortex, Shadow, the Shield, the Sun Soul, the Warrior Monk
Paladin: the Ancients, the Annihilator, the Ascetic, Battle, Conquest, the Crown, Despair, Destruction, Devotion, the Dragonlord, the Eagle, Elimination, the Errant, the Giving Grave, Glory, Green Knight, Holy Champion, Inquisitor, Mercy, Pearl, Pestilence, Perfection, the Radiance, the Raven, Redemption, Spear Maiden, Thunder, Vengeance, the Watchers, Zeal. Special – Oathbreaker
Ranger: Beast Master, Explorer, Fey Hunter, Fey Wanderer, Gloom Stalker, Green Reaper, Hidden Guardian, Horizon Walker, Horse Nomad, Hoyrall Shredder, Hunter, Monster Slayer, Netherworld, Explorer, Privateer, Swarmkeeper, Underminer, Unicorn Charger, Urban Shadow, Vampire Slayer, Vermin Lord, Warden, Wildborn, Zobecker Scout
Rogue: Arcane Trickster, Assassin, Burglar, Cutthroat, Duelist, Fixer, Highway Rider, Hitman, Infernal Talismancer, Inquisitive, Investigator, Mastermind, Misfortune Bringer, Odyssean, Phantom, Poisoner of Minds, Scout, Soulknife, Spy, Svirf Scientist, Swashbuckler, Thief, Trapsmith, Whisper
Scholar: Alchemy, Mind-Delving
Sorcerer: Aberrant Mind, Aristocratic, Ascendant, Bloodlines (Boreal, Draconic, Dryad, Enigma, Lycanthrope, Mazeborn, Nerid, Norn, Nymph, Satyr, Serophage, Shadow, Wretched), Clockwork Soul, Cunning Woman, Divine Inspiration, Divine Soul,, Draconist Elemental Essence, Facets (Flawless Caster, Gemblade), Farseer, Haunted, Psychic Magic, Pyromancer, Runechild, Shadow Magic, Soul Burner, Spore-cerer, Storm Sorcery, Traveler, Wild Magic
Underterror: Hel Savant, Slaver of the Damned, Underworld Monstrocity
Warlock: Alienist, Archfey, Archfiend, Black Woods, Celestial, Colloid, Diabolist, Fates, Fathomless, Fiend, First Vampire, Fragment Channeler of Zagnexis, Frozen One, the Genie, Genie Lord, Grand Void, Great Machine, Great Old One, Hexblade, Light Eater, Oracle, Parasite, Primeval One, Sargasso Siren, Sibyl, Spellbound, Undead, Undying, Voices of the Ancestors
Wizard: Academy Philosopher, Alkemancer, Angelic Scribe, Aquanaught, Arcane Specialist, Arcanist, Bladesinger, Blood Mage, Castellan, Chronury Magic, Demonologist, Disenchanter, Doom Croaker, Dragon Masks, Elementalist, Entropist, Geomancy, Graviturgy Magic, Illuminator, Mage, Master of Fiends, Mystifier, Necrophagy, Order of Scribes, Plague Doctor, Ring Warden, Rune Caller, Sangromancer, Schools (Abjuration, Artifice, Blood Magic, Clockwork, Conjuration, Divination, Elven High Magic, Enchantment, Entropy, Evocation, Illumination, Illusion, Necromancy, Pyromancer, Transmutation, Void Magic), Ship Mage, Timekeeper, Transgnomamist, War Mage, White Necromancer
Part 1 – Five Elements,
Part 2 – Five Spheres,
Part 3 – Pantheons,
Part 4 – Divine Features,
Part 5 – Reference Material,
Part 6 – Races,
Part 7 – Secret Crafts,
Part 8 – Weapons Mastery,
Part 9 – Setting,
Part 10 – Timeline,
Part 11 – Magical Item,
Part 12 – Classes,
Part 13 – Downtime,
Part 14 – Immortality,
Part 15 – Elemental Aspects,
Part 16 – Immortal Patrons,
Part 17 – New Directions,
Part 18 – Symbols
Part 1 – Mapping
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.