Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Races – Human of Air (Thyatian)
This is my take on the Thyatian core people using the five element concept.
Descendants of the Neathar and Antalians. Based on roman cultures with a classic look is they have angular features and tend to have a British like accent. These humans are tied to the sphere of thought. Their skin is white but tans in the sun, their hair from black to blonde, and eyes are hazel.
- Age: Young Adult at 14, Adult at 18 and live to 100 years.
- Size: Humans are 4 ½ to 5 ½ feet tall in general. Their size is Medium, thought in some special cases they can be Small.
- Speed: Your base walking speed 30 ft.
- Fast Learner (Level Up) With their short life spans, humans can acquire knowledge at a higher rate than more long-lived heritages. You gain proficiency in one additional skill of your choice in addition you require half as much time as normal to train yourself in the use of armour, skill, tool, secret craft or weapon during downtime.
- Intrepid (Level Up) Your survival instinct is remarkably strong. When you make an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw, you can choose to gain an expertise die on that roll. Once you use this trait, you cannot use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
- Weapons Mastery (GM House Rule) Gains proficiency with one weapons of significance of your choice. If you have proficiency with this weapon, they are upgrades skilled level.
- Human Gifts (Level Up) Choose One – Diehard Survivor (p40), Ingenious Focus (p40), Spirited Traveller (p40)
- Class Options – Available to all Human Subraces
- Feats: Weapons Mastery
Karameikos: If you want to be a Human of Air (Thyatian) with a roman background and a love of bureaucracy. Your among the most charismatic of the Thyatian Empire having a flair for using your voice to be a counterpoint to the strengths of the other three human races who make up the Empire.
The Thyatian people are an evolution from the Neathar and the Antalians. They are connected to lightning, thunder and thought. They have an roman style to their appearance and culture. They are the people who form the core of the bureaucracy of the Thyatian government. Culturally they are behind building kingdoms and empires, helping form Thyatis, Karameikos, Glantri and Darokin who all follow the same bureaucracy.
- Height – men are 4′ 6″ to 5′ 6″, women 4′ 2″ to 5’ 2″.
- Complexion – white with traces of light blue.
- Colouration – fair skin that tans in the sun, hair black, brown to blonde and occasional red, with eyes of various shades of blue, brown and black.
- Known Locations: Darokin, Glantri, Ierendi, Karameikos, Thyatis, Ylaruam.
- Traits – based on the Variant Human
- Ability Score Increase: Charisma +1, plus one other ability of your choice.
- Skills: Proficiency with Athletics or Performance.
- Feat: Athlete, Actor or Martial Adept.
- Soul of Thyatis: When dealing with the society of Thyatian culture, you have advantage on social rolls.
- Language: Common language is Thyatian. Bonus language by negotiation.
- Pantheons: Thyatian Empire
- Secret Crafts: (Starting) Your choice of starting secret crafts include: Airologist, Weaponologist.
- Evolution (2nd Evolution): Counts as the Neathar, Antalian and Genasi races for the purposes of effects and magical items. As a 2nd evolution, there is a 20% chance for any offspring to be a Genasi.
Most Thyatian have the Air Aspected Traits, to select other elemental traits please gain the game masters permission.
Elemental – Air Aspected Traits
- Ability Score Increase: Dexterity +2
- Appearance: Pale eyes, blonde hair, white veins or skin are trademarks of Air Aspected characters.
- Touch of the Air (Air aspected) While taking a short rest in the open sky, you can spend 1 HD to roll two dice and take the results of both.
- Power of Thought (Air aspected) When using (or effected by) Thunder or Lightning you add your proficiency bonus to the damage (or reduce damage taken) and cause your eyes to glow white till the start of your next turn.
- Danger of Matter (Air aspected) When hit by Acid or Poison damage you take additional damage equal to your proficiency. Acid or Poison effects you use, have their attack, damage and saving throw reduced by your proficiency instead of increased by it.
- Air Evolution: Counts as a Genasi for the purposes of using Air Genasi effects and magical items, but not as a Air Genasi. With every Genasi offspring there is a d20 roll to determine their elemental aspect:
- 80% chance of an Air Aspected child (1 to 16)
- 5% chance of an one of the other elements aspects. Darkness (17), Earth (18), Fire (19), Water (20)
- Character Options – All Air Aspected Sub-Races
Thyatian Character Options
- Bard – College of Swords (xge15)
- Druid – Circle of the Land (Settlement) (ph72)
- Fighter – Battle Master (ph72), Shieldbearer (mhh38), Weapons Master (gm)
- Monk – Way of the Cobalt Soul (tcs104), Way of Iron (br193), Way of the Kensai (xge34)
- Paladin – Oath of Battle (br194), Oath of Perfection (br198)
- Ranger – Explorer (fkcc10)
- Rogue – Duellist (mhh44), Fixer (mhh45), Mastermind (xge46), Swashbuckler (xge47), Thief (ph97)
- Wizard – School of Enchantment (ph117), War Mage (xge59)
- None as yet
Thyatian Racial Magical Items
The items from these people have a tendency to deal with romen style presentation, and bureaucracy. See all (Thyatian) items listed below as your relic magical items. You can also treat (Neathar) and (Antilian) as relic items as well. See Genasi Overview for (Airchild) genasi items you can use is if you were a genasi.
- Thyatian – The items from these people have a tendency to deal with romen style presentation, and bureaucracy. A Hattian can use the relic trait of the items as if part of their race.
- Antalian – The items from these people have a tendency to deal with european style items. A Thyatian can use the relic trait of the items as if part of their race.
- Neathar (Base Human) – The items from these people have a tendency to deal with a nomadic stone age style. A Human (and all Human subtypes) can use the base human relic trait of all Human items.
- Genasi (Air) – These are elemental darkness based items. A Thyatian can use the relic trait of the item is if they are a base Genasi, just not the Air aspect relic trait.
Designing the Thyatians
There are the masters of bureaucracy, able to manage and build kingdoms where ever they travel. Most of the nations of the known world in their current state were founded by them.
The Charisma bonus as one of the two choices, is because they are a charismatic race of people who are able to convince others .
Their choices of skill proficiency provide them with either Athletic as part of their national pastime of gladiatorial games and Performance due to their love of hearing themselves speak.
The Feat choices of Athlete, Actor and Martial Adept are related to their love of exercise and stage performance, as well as the gladiatorial games.
The Touch of Air feature provides the Human elemental racial bonus by being in the open and able to see the sky.
The next feature of Soul of Thyatis shows how this group of the people can help all the members of the empire fall in line with the culture.
As Languages represents what the common tongue for the region of Thyatian as the core language of the empire. A bonus language can be negotiated based on who you deal with growing up.
Lastly we have the 2nd Evolution from the Neathar. This means that if the character finds items that are keyed to any of their ancestral races, they also count as being part of that race. For Thyatian this means that they count as Neathar, and Antalian. And with their Air aspect they also count as a standard Genasi when using items belonging to the Air Genasi.
- 2021-08-17 – Update to classes and magical items.
- 2021-08-05 – Updated the menu.
- 2021-02-22 – Adding in more content and cleaning up the wording of some sections.
- 2020-09-18 – Cleaned up the layout and the Air Aspected parts of the character.
- 2020-03-23 – Structure and references.
- 2020-03-08 – Structure update.
Dragonkind Overview: Air (Crystalborn, Silverborn, Whiteborn), Darkness (Blackborn, Brassborn, Onyxborn), Earth (Copperborn, Emeraldborn, Greenborn), Fire( Amberborn, Goldborn, Redborn, Rubyborn), Water (Blueborn, Bronzeborn, Sapphineborn)
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds –
Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin),
Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Plamin, Camdu),
Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey),
Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey),
Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Lani), Weapons Master (Stonebound),
Monk – Way of the Elements (Tidal),
Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild),
Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey),
Warlock – Celestial (Llewell),
Wizard – Bladesinger (Nerye),
Dragon – White (Calcryx).
Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Xhall), Rogue/Cleric (Dracnomir), Rogue/Sorcerer (Yodrey), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.