Dungeons and Dragons – Mystara
Races – Human of Fire (Traladaran)
This is my take on the Traladaran people using the five element concept.
Descendants of the Traldar and Based on the eastern European cultures. These humans are tied to the sphere of Energy. Their skin is lightly coppery becomes darker with time spent in the sun, their hair brown to black with a red metallic sheen, and eyes of dark brown or black.
Traladarans tend to be small and of light build. They have rounded features and their accent tends to sound like they are from eastern Europe. These people can be found in Karameikos.
- Age: Young Adult at 14, Adult at 18 and live to 100 years.
- Size: Humans are 4 ½ to 5 ½ feet tall in general. Their size is Medium, thought in some special cases they can be Small.
- Speed: Your base walking speed 30 ft.
- Fast Learner (Level Up) With their short life spans, humans can acquire knowledge at a higher rate than more long-lived heritages. You gain proficiency in one additional skill of your choice in addition you require half as much time as normal to train yourself in the use of armour, skill, tool, secret craft or weapon during downtime.
- Intrepid (Level Up) Your survival instinct is remarkably strong. When you make an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw, you can choose to gain an expertise die on that roll. Once you use this trait, you cannot use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
- Weapons Mastery (GM House Rule) Gains proficiency with one weapons of significance of your choice. If you have proficiency with this weapon, they are upgrades skilled level.
- Human Gifts (Level Up) Choose One – Diehard Survivor (p40), Ingenious Focus (p40), Spirited Traveller (p40)
- Class Options – Available to all Human Subraces
- Feats: Weapons Mastery
Karameikos: If you want to be a Human of Fire (Traladaran) with a eastern european background. They believe in the spiritual world with many superstitions coming from a society recently conquered (AC 900) and civilized (AC 970). You are part of the majority of the nation, but only make up a small number of the positions of power.
The Traladaran people are an evolution from the Traldar, who are descendant of the Nithians. They are connected to fire and magic. They have a eastern European style to their appearance and culture. They founded the human settlements in Karameikos, Darokin and Glantri though in each case each of those settlements were renamed after a Thyatian leader who united the country.
- Height – men 4’ 4″ to 5′ 4″, women 4′ to 5’.
- Complexion – Bronzed skinned.
- Colouration – skin and hair tinged with yellow to metallic browns, brown hair with eyes of rich brown earth, leafy green or black.
- Known Locations: Darokin, Glantri, Karameikos.
- Traits – based on the Variant Human
D&D Human Heritage Traladaran – Karameikos (Human of Fire – Traladaran)
The Traladarans, descendents of the native Traldar tribe of legend, tend to be fairly small (men average 4’9″, women 4’3″) and light of build. They tend to have bronzed complexions with yellow veins and highlights, brown, green or black eyes, and dark hair (deep metallic brown to black with red tinges).
In general, they are a very superstitious people – if you can call it superstition when it’s based on truth. They are great believers in good luck charms, omens and portents (palm-reading, the reading of tea leaves or sheep entrails, interpretations of natural phenomena if it’s a strange event, the Traladara consider it an omen), curses and evil eyes.
Outside the larger towns, education is widely-spread. In the more rural communities, most villagers are illiterate, though often a village cleric will be lettered. (Player-characters, being exceptional people, don’t have to worry about this; if you have enough Intelligence to be literate, you can be literate if you wish. If you prefer, because of the way you conceive your character, that he be illiterate, that is also your choice.)
For the most part, Traladarans don’t care much for Thyatians. They see the Thyatians as the latest wave of bad luck which keeps the Traladarans from re-achieving their Golden Age. Since many of the original Thyatian arrivals were rotten land-grabbers, many of the Traladarans see all Thyatians as being the same. (If you don’t wish for your own character to feel this way, he doesn’t have to.)
Though the majority of the population of Karameikos is Traladaran, the court language is Thyatian. Thyatian is the language of official documents and trade and is basically the “Common Tongue” of Karameikos. Most Traladarans under the age of 30 speak Thyatian, usually with a distinct accent which marks their Traladaran origins.
- Ability Score Increase: Constitution +1, plus one other ability of your choice
- Skills: Proficiency with Animal Handling or Insight
- Feat: Durable or Resilient
- Survivalists: When making death saves, you only need to make two successes to recover, while needing to fail four failures to die.
- Language: Common language is Thyatian. Bonus language is Traladaran.
- Pantheons: Thyatian Empire (Church of Karameikos or Thyatis), Traladaran (Church of Traldara), Traldara (Cult of Halav)
- Secret Crafts: (Starting) Your choice of starting secret crafts include: Fireologist.
- Evolution (3rd Evolution): Counts as the Neathar, Nithian, Traldar and Genasi races for the purposes of effects and magical items. As a 3rd evolution, there is a 15% chance for any offspring to be a Genasi.
Most Traladarans have the Fire Aspected Traits, to select other elemental traits please gain the game masters permission.
- Ability Score Increase: Intelligence +2
- Touch of the Fire (fire aspected) While taking a short rest in direct sunlight or within 5 ft of a source of fire, you can spend 1 HD to roll two dice and take the results of both.
- Power of Energy (fire aspected) When using (or effected by) Fire or Radiant damage you add your proficiency bonus to the damage (or reduce damage taken) and cause your eyes to glow red till the start of your next turn.
- Danger of Time (fire aspected) When hit by Cold or Force damage you take additional damage equal to your proficiency. Cold and force effects you use, have their attack, damage and saving throw reduced by your proficiency instead of increased by it.
- Fire Evolution: Counts as a Genasi for the purposes of using Fire Genasi effects and magical items, but not as a Fire Genasi. With every genasi offspring there is a d20 roll to determine their elemental aspect:
- 80% chance of an Fire Aspected child (1 to 16)
- 5% chance of an one of the other elements aspects. Air (17), Darkness (18), Earth (19), Water (20)
Character Options – All Fire Aspected Sub-Races
- Barbarian – Path of the Storm Herald (Desert)
- Cleric – Domain of Fire
- Monk – Way of the Elements (Fire)
- Sorcerer – Draconic Bloodline (Red), Elemental Essence (Fire)
- Warlock – Pact of the Genie Lord (Fire)
- Wizard – Elementalist (Fire)
Traladaran Character Options
- Character Options – Human – Traladaran
- Locations – Darokin, Glantri, Karameikos
- Feats: Prodigy
- Class Options
- Barbarian – Path of the Ancestors, Path of the Ancestral Guardian, Path of the Berserker, Path of the Totem Warrior
- Bard – College of Glamour
- Druid – Circle of Dreams, Circle of the Moon, Circle of the Shepherd
- Fighter – Arcane Archer, Battle Master, Eldritch Knight, Ghost Knight, Knight Surgeon, Woodland Cavalier
- Monk – Way of the Long Death
- Paladin – Oath of the Ancients, Oath of Conquest, Oath of the Giving Grave
- Ranger – Beast Master, Fey Hunter, Hunter, Vampire Slayer
- Rogue – Arcane Trickster, Thief
- Sorcerer – Dryad Bloodline, Lycanthrope Bloodline, Pyromancer, Serophage Bloodline
- Warlock – Pact of the Archfey, Pact of the Undying
- Wizard – School of Blood Magic, School of Divination, School of Illusion, School of Necromancy
Traladaran Campaign Examples
- Mystara Wednesday Campaign – Dmitri (Wizard/Rogue)
Traladaran Racial Magical Items
The items from these people have a tendency to deal with eastern european around undead, divination and nature. See all (Alasiyan) items listed below as your relic magical items. You can also treat (Neathar) and (Nithian) and (Traldar) as relic items as well. See Genasi Overview for (Firechild) genasi items you can use is if you were a genasi.
- Traladaran – The items from these people have a tendency to deal with eastern european around undead, divination and nature.
- Traldar – The items from these people deal with eastern european style items.
- Nithian – The items from these people have a tendency to deal with egyptian style items. Most of these items have been taken over by Alasiyans, Thothian or Traladarans. A Traladaran can use the Relic trait of the items as if part of their race.
- Neathar (Base Human) – The items from these people have a tendency to deal with a nomadic stone age style. A Human (and all Human subtypes) can use the base human relic trait of all Human items.
- Genasi (Fire) – These are elemental fire based items. A Traladaran can use the relic trait of the item is if they are a base Genasi, just not the Fire aspect relic trait.
Designing the Traladarans
What I have done here is move the race to more of a spiritual bend than described in some of the places, but have them with three core cultures in the known world being the core of Darokin, Glantri and Karameikos.
The Constitution bonus as one of the two choices, is because they are a hardy race of people who are able to stand up to more than most.
Their choices of skill proficiency provide them with either Animal Handling as part of their connection with nature and Insight their need to watch their neighbours for sights of Vampirism or Lycanthropy.
The Feat choices of Durable and Resilient are both related to their hardiness and the struggle these people have gone through and managed to survive. They are a hardy people which take a lot to stop.
The Touch of Fire feature provides the Human elemental racial bonus by being in sunlight, something which most of the people love with their fear of darkness, vampires and werewolves.
The next feature of Survivalist adds to the hardiness of the race, and I thought it would make a great talking point about how they seem to recover faster and return to the fight while taking longer to succumb to wounds that would kill most other people.
As Languages represents what the common tongue for the region of Thyatian as that empire colonised all the Traladaran lands in the region, the character also receives the bonus language of Traladaran, which is the core language of the Darokin and Glantri nations as well.
Lastly we have the 3rd Evolution from the Neathar. This means that if the character finds items that are keyed to any of their ancestral races, they also count as being part of that race. For Traladaran this means that they count as Neathar, Nithian and Traldar. And with their Fire aspect they also count as a standard Genasi when using items belonging to the Fire Genasi.
- 2021-08-17 – Update to Classes and Magical Items.
- 2021-02-28 – Linking in location content, adding in the menu and cleaning up the headings.
- 2021-02-22 – Linking in existing content to make it easier to find things.
- 2020-09-20 – Cleanup of layout and elemental aspects.
- 2020-05-16 – Updated design decisions, and put in more information about how the characters fit into Karameikos.
- 2020-03-23 – Structure and references.
- 2020-03-16 – Structure and human traits.
- 2020-02-20 – Added in bonus language details.
Dragonkind Overview: Air (Crystalborn, Silverborn, Whiteborn), Darkness (Blackborn, Brassborn, Onyxborn), Earth (Copperborn, Emeraldborn, Greenborn), Fire( Amberborn, Goldborn, Redborn, Rubyborn), Water (Blueborn, Bronzeborn, Sapphineborn)
D&D Menu – Adventures, Artefacts, Backgrounds, Classes, Dominions, Downtime, Feats, Gazetteers, Gods, Magical Items, Monsters, Organisations, Pantheons, Races, Ranks & Titles, Rune Magic, Secret Crafts, Settlements, Spells, Timeline, Weapons Mastery
Class Builds – Artificer – Bombardier (Tinkerkin), Barbarian – Totem Warrior (Ethegnarian), Totem Warrior (Heldannic), Bard – College of Valour (Sunfey), Druid – Circle of Dreams (Woodfey), Circle of the Tree of Life (Seasonfey), Fighter – Battlemaster (Seashire), Eldritch Knight (Kerendan), Weapons Master (Makai), Weapons Master (Stonebound), Monk – Way of the Elements (Waterchild), Paladin – Oath of Radiance (Sunfey), Oath of Vengeance (Firechild), Sorcerer – Wild Magic (Shadowfey), Warlock – Celestial (Sunfey), Wizard – Bladesinger (Seasonfey), Dragon – White. Multiclass – Cleric/Wizard (Ethengarian), Rogue/Cleric (Atruaghin), Rogue/Sorcerer (Seashire), Wizard/Rogue (Traladaran)
Floorplans – Thyatian
Session Recordings – Campaign Journals
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.