Pathfinder 2 – Thassilonian Resurgence Design
Part 7 – Pathfinder Society Factions in the Campaign
Why draw from the Pathfinder Society Scenario’s?
These are the backbone of the ongoing storyline with the politics running behind the 10 year, 20 level campaign storyline.
I have not run the return of the runelords adventure path, but I am excited to adapt it to the continuing thread of the storyline.
Using the actual in game pathfinder society makes the world more vibrant and alive especially as there is a ten year write up of changes to the society, and events for the characters to participate in.
A lot of the scenarios expand on the details, personalities and events of the setting. They also help set the scene for the evolving ongoing political storyline as the various factions try to gain dominance.
What are the Factions in the pathfinder society?
They are the authority figures of the pathfinder society with the leaders of each faction being on the ruling council of the Pathfinder Society. The society is still subject to higher authority so while these leaders control the day to day business, the higher authority controls the long term plans.
- Grand Lodge
- Lantern Lodge
- Shadow Lodge
- Silver Crusade
- Andoran Faction: The Andoran faction within the Pathfinder Society represented the interests of the nation of Andoran and advocated for freedom throughout the Inner Sea.
- Cheliax Faction: The Cheliax faction within the Pathfinder Society represented the interests of House Thrune and strove to expand Cheliax’s diabolic influence over Golarion.
- Grand Lodge Faction: The Grand Lodge faction within the Pathfinder Society represents its ruling Decemvirate and the organization’s larger philosophical and pragmatic goals.
- Lantern Lodge Faction: The Lantern Lodge faction within the Pathfinder Society represented the interests of Venture-Captain Amara Li and the Dragon Empires of Tian Xia.
- Osirion Faction: The Osirion faction within the Pathfinder Society represented the interests of the Ruby Prince in Osirion’s attempts to reclaim past glory through the recovery of ancient artefacts of power.
- Qadira Faction: The Qadira faction within the Pathfinder Society represented Qadiran satrapy of the Keleshite Empire, particularly its trade interests in the Inner Sea region.
- Sczarni Faction: The Sczarni faction within the Pathfinder Society represented Sczarni crimelord Guaril Karela and the rest of the Varisian crime organization.
- Shadow Lodge Faction: The Shadow Lodge faction within the Pathfinder Society represented dissenters of the Decemvirate.
- Silver Crusade Faction: The Silver Crusade faction within the Pathfinder Society represents Pathfinders who want to apply the Society’s resources toward making the world a better place.
- Taldor Faction: The Taldor faction within the Pathfinder Society represented the interests of Taldor as it struggled to solidify its standing in the Inner Sea region.
Note: Over the course of the ten years of the Pathfinder Society play, these factions will change in leadership, structure and name. These represent those who are available from the first adventure “Aspirant Pathfinders” and are all expected to be known by players with the above information during the game.
How do factions interact with play?
Characters are going to be sponsored by one of these factions to be able to continue in the campaign. Those who loose sponsorship will be stepping out of the game.
Not only do you need to gain favour of your sponsor, you also need to avoid angering the other factions.
The level of anger you obtain from a faction is indicated in the faction tokens they offer as a bounty for your death. This is also the easiest way to earn favour with any faction is to kill a pathfinder who has gone out of their way to anger and not appease a faction leader.
The only penance is to the faction who has lost a member, which is to provide them one of their faction tokens, or two from another faction or risk the same offer being made against your own character.
A pathfinder who can’t work within the societies system, and keep the peace, must atone or be removed.
This is most relevant to the starting adventure where the faction leaders have invested 3 years in the training of the characters and need to know if their investment was something they can work with, dismiss or need to remove.
What is the Test of the Starstone
This is an deadly obstacle course set by the gods to test a persons worth to join the ranks of the gods by simply touching the star stone. Only a few have completed this test, but many have tried.
The actual test is possible during the campaign, but that becomes a one on one adventure with the player away from the others. Either way, they need to have their next character prepared because pass or fail, they no longer have a character in the campaign.
- 2021-07-29 – Layout and link updates.
- 2020-06-15 – Included a little more content with a note in the faction section.
- 2020-03-24 – Structure.
- 2019-12-13 – Notes on why I am using the factions.
Creating a New Campaign: Part 1 (The Concept), Part 2 (Main Cities and Guide), Part 3 (The Adventure Path), Part 4 (House Rules), Part 5 (Thassilonia), Part 6 (Factions and Characters), Part 7 (Pathfinder Factions), Part 8 (Learning from Conversion), Part 9 (Half-Breed), Part 10 (Using Renown), Part 11 (Gaining Renown and Fame), Part 12 (Location Feats), Part 13 (Adventures), Part 14 (Faction Points)
Class Build: Minion (Mitflit), Barbarian (Nexa Shoanti Half-Orc), Bard (Quest – Goblin), Cleric (Pimwinkle – Halfling, , Krol – Elf Half-Gnome), Druid (Barak – Dwarf, Cangacerio – Human Half-Elf), Fighter (Kordar – Elf Half-Human, Zed – Human), Monk (Willy – Human), Oracle (Luna – Shoanti), Ranger (Duzhar – Orc Half-Human), Rogue (Sparky – Dwarf), Sorcerer (Belath – Cheliax), Wizard (Parry – Elf Half-Dwarf)
Thassilonian Resurgence Adventure Path (TRAP) Campaign
Jade Regent Adventure Path (JRAP) Campaign
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.